Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 4:18 AM Last edited by Chanty622 : 1st Apr 2017 at 2:04 AM. Reason: add picture/change category

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Generations, Pets
Default SOLVED: Map Tags/Icons are missing for half of my SimFamily
Hello! I was playing a few nights ago and one of my sims is a ghostbuster/hunter, but when I went to view the map to find him a job, there were no tags at all! This problem is happening to about half the family. The family consists of 2 parents (created in CAS), their 2 children, the older child's husband (townie that she married) and son, and a dog. The issue is occurring for the former-townie husband, his son, the younger child of the CAS created parents, and the dog.

When this happened a few nights ago, I noticed that there were multiple copies of this family in the 'choose a game' screen. One was the original that I made (still had the file name I created), but there were 2 more called autosave0 and autosave1. I'm not sure how this happened. I tried launching each of those and autosave0 launched about a sim day back from where I actually was and the map tags worked! After trying all of the Game FAQs to try to restore the maptags to my original saved file, I gave up and just started playing the autosave0 file which worked.

Well, tonight it started happening again. I cannot think of anything that I did in the game itself that would trigger this. There are also no extra save files this time. I just spent the last hour doing all the Game FAQs again, but nothing works. I also looked around online and found a few potential solutions, but none worked (switch active family then switch back, typing "maptags on" in the cheat box, and I think 1 other thing that I'm blanking on right now).

I did recently (about a week or so ago) download AwesomeMod. I previously had NRAAS (I'm not sure which version as I downloaded that years ago). I believe I downloaded everything correctly and put it in the right place, but I'm going to put pictures of my files here just to make sure. Also, since I installed AwesomeMod, I've been receiving this error message (picture included) at startup. But I've played the game pretty much every day since install and haven't seen any problems until this.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Mar 2017 at 4:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
how about a screenshot of the actual game with the missing tags etc?

I added the picture above. I thought of it while posting last night, but I was so tired of loading the game after doing it about 10 times while going through all the FAQs and I figured it was kinda self-explanatory...But a picture is always better :-) Thanks for any help!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Mar 2017 at 5:38 AM
NRaas Saver doesn't produce auto-saves. It's only an alarm clock that suggests when it's time to do a Save As and suggests a name in sequence if you have its options set for that so you can keep a string of backups from various points in time going in rotation, thus having multiple safe places to revert play should something go wrong. I believe that Awesome does have an auto-save function, however.

The error on startup means you have a core mod that is not intended for your game's patch level. If you are on Patch 1.69 and attempting to run Awesome, that will do it. The current version of Awesome isn't designed to recognize 1.69, only 1.67. But since the two patch levels are identical beyond build number, if that's really what is causing the error then it can be ignored.

I'm afraid I don't understand why you have a "Files" sub-folder inside of Mods with a second Resource.cfg in it nor do I recognize what DDFMap is. These are not part of the standard Mods\Packages framework at all.
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Setup_and_Files
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Mar 2017 at 5:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
NRaas Saver doesn't produce auto-saves. It's only an alarm clock that suggests when it's time to do a Save As and suggests a name in sequence if you have its options set for that so you can keep a string of backups from various points in time going in rotation, thus having multiple safe places to revert play should something go wrong. I believe that Awesome does have an auto-save function, however.

The error on startup means you have a core mod that is not intended for your game's patch level. If you are on Patch 1.69 and attempting to run Awesome, that will do it. The current version of Awesome isn't designed to recognize 1.69, only 1.67. But since the two patch levels are identical beyond build number, if that's really what is causing the error then it can be ignored.

I'm afraid I don't understand why you have a "Files" sub-folder inside of Mods with a second Resource.cfg in it nor do I recognize what DDFMap is. These are not part of the standard Mods\Packages framework at all.

AwesomeMod does have a save feature, but it asks me if I want to save every so often so I don't think it autosaves anything.

I figured the error was something with a patch, but I just recently started playing again so I wasn't sure what patch I was on or how to figure that out. There's been no other issues besides this.

As for what's in my files, should I try to take those extra things out?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Mar 2017 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chanty622
AwesomeMod does have a save feature, but it asks me if I want to save every so often so I don't think it autosaves anything.

I figured the error was something with a patch, but I just recently started playing again so I wasn't sure what patch I was on or how to figure that out. There's been no other issues besides this.

As for what's in my files, should I try to take those extra things out?

Okay, let me rephrase that. I am positive that Awesome has an auto-save function. It is adjustable through its configuration tool. If its value for x minutes between auto-saves is 0, that would mean it's off. Sounds like it got activated somehow, not sure if the default setting is on or off.

You must be on 1.67 (or 1.69) to use AwesomeMod. There is no path to a version of it that will work properly on older patch levels, its developer "expires" the older versions when newer ones come out. Or at least he used to. If you are on 1.69, then you must use Origin to startup your game every time and the Launcher will say "1.69" on its front page. For the others, you will see your patch level if you hover your mouse over the base game icon at the bottom of the Launcher.

I don't know what those extra files are or why you have them in your Mods folder. They are probably not causing the map tag issue, but the Mods\Packages framework setup is not always entirely friendly to unexpected content within it. Especially extra Resource.cfg files.

The only things that should be in Mods is a folder called Packages, one called Overrides, and the one expected Resource.cfg file.
The only thing that should be in Packages is .package files.
The only thing that should be in Overrides is .package files that the developer has specifically said to place there (this is relatively uncommon).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 2:01 AM
Okay, let me rephrase that. I am positive that Awesome has an auto-save function. It is adjustable through its configuration tool. If its value for x minutes between auto-saves is 0, that would mean it's off. Sounds like it got activated somehow, not sure if the default setting is on or off.

You must be on 1.67 (or 1.69) to use AwesomeMod. There is no path to a version of it that will work properly on older patch levels, its developer "expires" the older versions when newer ones come out. Or at least he used to. If you are on 1.69, then you must use Origin to startup your game every time and the Launcher will say "1.69" on its front page. For the others, you will see your patch level if you hover your mouse over the base game icon at the bottom of the Launcher.

I don't know what those extra files are or why you have them in your Mods folder. They are probably not causing the map tag issue, but the Mods\Packages framework setup is not always entirely friendly to unexpected content within it. Especially extra Resource.cfg files.

The only things that should be in Mods is a folder called Packages, one called Overrides, and the one expected Resource.cfg file.
The only thing that should be in Packages is .package files.
The only thing that should be in Overrides is .package files that the developer has specifically said to place there (this is relatively uncommon).

I took all the extra stuff out of the folders and it did not fix the map tag issue. I've looked all over the forums and it doesn't seem that there is a consistent way to solve this, so I may just be stuck with it. It sucks cuz this was a legacy challenge family and I was only just starting the third generation. I may keep playing it, but I'll have to change the one guy's job since he can't see when jobs are available...
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 2:14 AM
There is one possible solution that has not been offered up here yet. It may not do a thing if your game's tagging and map mechanisms are broken, but it certainly shouldn't make things any worse.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tagger
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#12 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 10:12 AM
I also see that you have a framework.zip in your user folder and a third resource.cfg in the user folders top level. Is that the one you downloaded from MATY and have you by any chance followed the instructions there on how to set up the framework? If so, you will have to redo that because MATY prefers a different framework set-up (the "old" way in the game files instead of user files) and it is conflicting with the one you have set up in your user folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Why dont you do a clean run? Maptag issues are often related to mod problems.

By clean run, you mean without the mods right? That's part of the Game FAQ trouble shooting that I did.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
I also see that you have a framework.zip in your user folder and a third resource.cfg in the user folders top level. Is that the one you downloaded from MATY and have you by any chance followed the instructions there on how to set up the framework? If so, you will have to redo that because MATY prefers a different framework set-up (the "old" way in the game files instead of user files) and it is conflicting with the one you have set up in your user folder.

I thought I followed them properly. I was having trouble understanding his site. So I looked for help but the forums seem to be only for people who have a lot of experience/knowledge. I found an explanation somewhere and thought I followed it correctly.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 9:23 PM
There is one possible solution that has not been offered up here yet. It may not do a thing if your game's tagging and map mechanisms are broken, but it certainly shouldn't make things any worse.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tagger

This looks like it lets me make my own tags right? I honestly don't mind the tags themselves not working, since I know the basic layout and can find the buildings I need easily enough. My issue is that I can't have any job that requires using the map (such as ghost hunter or architecture design) and one of my sims that can't see the tags is a ghost hunter! I was also planning on making his kid (also cannot see tags) into a PI, but I believe that uses the map to find jobs as well (haven't played that job yet).

I think I'm gonna try to delete Awesomemod and install it again, hopefully correctly, first. But I'll try this if that doesn't work.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 9:36 PM
The create your own tags feature is optional, that's not the mod's main purpose. If you switch on sim and map tags on City Hall under NRaas > Tagger > Enable Lot Tags (and Enable Sim Tags), then it takes over the map tagging system and will display tags for (optionally) all sims and lots or some filtered subset of them. But I don't know what impact, if any, it will have on career opps, available clients, etc. not showing up correctly.

And just to restate what Don was saying, you can't have mods set up the "old" way and the "new" way at the same time. There should only be one Mods folder and one Resource.cfg to read package based content no matter what it says at MATY.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 9:50 PM
This is frustrating. It seems there's 10 different ways to install this. I just took everything out and again I think I put it back correctly, but I have no idea.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 9:57 PM
Again, refer to the illustrations here:

One Mods folder, containing three things: Packages folder, Overrides folder (usually empty though), Resource.cfg. The package files, including the two from Awesome, that's the mod itself and the user configuration file, go into Packages together with any other package based content.

Some players still insist on setting this up the "old" way. NRaas mods are not supported, and we know a few of them don't work that way anymore. There must be others that would suffer the same fate. Not really seeing the benefit of installing package based content any other way than as pictured.
#19 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 10:14 PM
Yeah, I should have emphasised this more: Do not follow the instructions for installing that you find on MATY and do not use their framework.zip! If you have you'll have to undo it.
The MATY framework is set up in the game files themselves, at the core, so to speak. The way everybody else does it nowadays is via the user folder in Documents.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 10:55 PM
Wow really?! I've looked up how to install this multiple times and nowhere does it state it that clearly. Very frustrating....and yes Don, I was using the MATY framework. I don't think I'm going to bother with AwesomeMod again. I liked how it made certain things automated (like dirty dishes just disappearing), but I never had a problem before installing that mod. I just took everything out and was reading about NRaas and considering going back to that. I found NRaas to be difficult because of all the menus, but I did have a version that I downloaded years ago so I may give it another try.
Site Helper
#21 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 12:20 AM
Just don't use the same version that you had "Years ago" if you have patched your game since then. Make sure you have the version that is suitable for your patch level.

Yes, NRAAS has a lot of menus, but most of them can be ignored until you run into a situation that you wish it handled. Then you can poke around in the menus and see if it does.
If you miss Supreme Commander's auto-collecting function, check http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=588779 It doesn't work as non-stop as Supreme Commander does, and it doesn't have "Collect Everything," but it's a decent replacement.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
#22 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 1:16 AM
You can use AwesomeMod perfectly fine within the framework that is promoted here at MTS (user folder approach). I do, too. It works.

The thing with the MATY framework is that this was how one had to install mods from 2009 until 2010 (or was it 2011?) when EA provided some mod support themselves with the "new" approach. The people at MATY prefer it the "old" way, though, for whatever reason. Maybe they are just obstreperously "old school" on principle.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 1:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Just don't use the same version that you had "Years ago" if you have patched your game since then. Make sure you have the version that is suitable for your patch level.

Yes, NRAAS has a lot of menus, but most of them can be ignored until you run into a situation that you wish it handled. Then you can poke around in the menus and see if it does.
If you miss Supreme Commander's auto-collecting function, check http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=588779 It doesn't work as non-stop as Supreme Commander does, and it doesn't have "Collect Everything," but it's a decent replacement.

I just got the updated version (and a bunch of extras!) so everything should work ok now. I got Tagger, so I'm hoping that will fix my original issue.

I hadn't used AwesomeMod long enough to come across a need for that function, so I hadn't tried it. But I downloaded the one you linked to anyway to try it. Thanks!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 2:03 AM
I GOT MAPTAGS BACK!!! I used Master Controller - ResetLot and the Maptags now work for all my sims again!

Thanks for the help everyone!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 2:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chanty622
I GOT MAPTAGS BACK!!! I used Master Controller - ResetLot and the Maptags now work for all my sims again!

Thanks for the help everyone!!

For those needing this solution:

Go here (http://nraas.wikispaces.com/MasterController) and download the appropriate version.

Here is how to install it if you're not sure: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/How+To+Install
I scrolled down a bit and used Blunote00's instructions.

Now load the affected game. Click anywhere on the family's lot and select NRaas > Master Controller. A list of options will come up. Select Reset Lot then click the check button. It will take a few seconds and all your sims will be moved into standing positions somewhere on the lot. Now click on the Sim that couldn't see the Maptags and check out the town. Hopefully, you can now see them too!

Note: I've read fixes from other people that worked for them, but didn't for me, so that may be the case with this fix as well.
Page 1 of 2