Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 11:11 AM Last edited by *Osa* : 12th Apr 2017 at 2:38 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default (MAC) Weird graphics symptom in gameplay
Hello! I have recently experienced this weird graphics symptom whenever I play with specifically one of my families (photo attached)

So, it doesn't happen with any of my other families in the neighborhood. I know that it doesn't have anything to do with the lot they live on, because I tried to move them to another lot and the symptom happened once again. The game, however seems to work fine with the graphic problem, and whenever I exit the family, the screen graphics goes normal again.

The first few minutes that I play with the family, the graphics are normal but then it changes to this weird color grid. And there doesn't seem to be any specific action that triggers the problem - it just happens randomly.

Are my sim family corrupted? If so, is there a way to solve it or is my sim family doomed?

EDIT: Its not only that family, but every family in the neighborhood!

I have Sims 2: Super Collection and I play on a Macbook Pro from 2016, with 2,9GHZ intel core i5, 8GB ram, and my graphic card is Intel Iris Graphics 550.

I know about the CC download limit on mac computers and I followed a tutorial on this page to allow my game to have more CC as I assume my computer can handle it.

I hope you can help me with the problem!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 10:09 AM Last edited by lordtyger9 : 11th Apr 2017 at 11:13 PM.
There is a way to have the file limit increased automatically when one starts their Mac, and if you are interested check out this link to my post on it http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...msg1628939.html

This method doesn't require you to use Terminal every time you start up. It works with Yosemite and later.

I don't know if your graphic problem is due to the file limit problem though. You do need to see if the Graphics problem happens with no Downloads folder though, so if you haven't already done so check to see if you family has the problem when you are running with No CC.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Apr 2017 at 2:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
There is a way to have the file limit increased automatically when one starts their Mac, and if you are interested check out this link to my post on it http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...msg1628939.html

This method doesn't require you to use Terminal every time you start up. It works with Yosemite and later.

I don't know if your graphic problem is due to the file limit problem though. You do need to see if the Graphics problem happens with no Downloads folder though, so if you haven't already done so check to see if you family has the problem when you are running with No CC.

That sounds very appealing! I dont have that LaunchDaemons folder though - am I supposed to create it myself? I have Sierra.
Edit: I have a LaunchAgents folder, but I don't know if that helps..
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 12th Apr 2017 at 7:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by *Osa*
That sounds very appealing! I dont have that LaunchDaemons folder though - am I supposed to create it myself? I have Sierra.
Edit: I have a LaunchAgents folder, but I don't know if that helps..

Well the LaunchDaemons folder in my Mac is in the same Library Folder as is my LaunchAgents Folder, if you don't have a LaunchDaemons folder I am sure that the answer is that you create it your self inside the same folder that contains your LaunchAgents folder.

I have El Capitan myself and the instructions worked for me, they should work for you too.

I have a link to the instructions on InSimenator.org in my Signature. or if you like LeeFish better http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7805 Just make sure to follow the instructions exactly, I edited the instructions slightly in order to make them more clear I hope. If you have further questions don't hesitate to PM me or ask here.

BTW did you test your game without your Downloads folder? If you haven't you need to do so, just move your Downloads folder to your Desktop and then start the game up and load that particular family. If you do see the graphics issue then it is likely something in your Downloads folder and you need to run a 50/50 test. If you don't see it then you can figure it is likely the Open File Limit Issue.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 1:54 PM
Well the LaunchDaemons folder in my Mac is in the same Library Folder as is my LaunchAgents Folder, if you don't have a LaunchDaemons folder I am sure that the answer is that you create it your self inside the same folder that contains your LaunchAgents folder.

I have El Capitan myself and the instructions worked for me, they should work for you too.

I have a link to the instructions on InSimenator.org in my Signature. or if you like LeeFish better http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7805 Just make sure to follow the instructions exactly, I edited the instructions slightly in order to make them more clear I hope. If you have further questions don't hesitate to PM me or ask here.

BTW did you test your game without your Downloads folder? If you haven't you need to do so, just move your Downloads folder to your Desktop and then start the game up and load that particular family. If you do see the graphics issue then it is likely something in your Downloads folder and you need to run a 50/50 test. If you don't see it then you can figure it is likely the Open File Limit Issue.

Okay, I'm gonna try to make the folder myself and see what happens..

Yes, I tried to remove the whole Downloads folder and the same problem happened again, just after a minute or so while playing the family. And I don't think its something about that specific family anymore because it also happened to one of my other families yesterday. So it is not CC or CC-limit related, I guess?
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 9:20 PM Last edited by lordtyger9 : 14th Apr 2017 at 9:37 PM.
Okay, I'm gonna try to make the folder myself and see what happens..

Yes, I tried to remove the whole Downloads folder and the same problem happened again, just after a minute or so while playing the family. And I don't think its something about that specific family anymore because it also happened to one of my other families yesterday. So it is not CC or CC-limit related, I guess?

If it happened even though you played without the Downloads folder being there, then it is definitely not CC and unlikely to be related to the Open File limit.

It might be something to do with your game install. Just delete the The Sims 2: Super Collection app and then download it again off of the Mac App Store to reinstall the game.

Maybe it is something to do with your in game settings? What do they look like?

You also might try telling Aspyr about it, sometimes they can be helpful. https://support.aspyr.com

If it is still happening even after you reinstall it is possible that it might be something to do with your graphics chip. It is likely hardware related if your Mac has issues with the graphics in any other application. If possible I would take the Mac to the Apple Store if there is one in your area and have them look at it. The Apple Store people can tell you if it is something hardware related.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 2:22 PM
If it happened even though you played without the Downloads folder being there, then it is definitely not CC and unlikely to be related to the Open File limit.

It might be something to do with your game install. Just delete the The Sims 2: Super Collection app and then download it again off of the Mac App Store to reinstall the game.

Maybe it is something to do with your in game settings? What do they look like?

You also might try telling Aspyr about it, sometimes they can be helpful. https://support.aspyr.com

If it is still happening even after you reinstall it is possible that it might be something to do with your graphics chip. It is likely hardware related if your Mac has issues with the graphics in any other application. If possible I would take the Mac to the Apple Store if there is one in your area and have them look at it. The Apple Store people can tell you if it is something hardware related.

Okay so now I wrote to Aspyr as well!

I attached a photo of my game setting but since they have been the same since the first day I played, it would be strange if it suddenly was a problem, or?

If I reinstall the game, I will need a backup of my The Sims folder, right? Or is that not necessary ...
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 7:56 PM Last edited by lordtyger9 : 16th Apr 2017 at 6:50 AM.
I reinstalled and I did not have to have a backup, but I would still make a backup. I make a backup everytime I finish playing and also I keep two backups at all times. I get rid of the oldest backup, when I add a new one.

That said I would try changing the graphics settings in the second screen. Then see if that helps, I am not sure, but I think your settings may be too high.

Give me a chance and I will include screen shots of what those screens look like in my game.

Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 6:49 AM
Here are the screen shots of those two settings pages from my game, I suggest that you might do like I do and see if that helps.
Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 1:30 PM
Here are the screen shots of those two settings pages from my game, I suggest that you might do like I do and see if that helps.

I now tried to reinstall the game and went into the family again and for a while I thought the problem has disappeared! But after 45 minutes or so it came back.. And I also lowered my graphics.

Also, yesterday, I was building a new community lot and a new kind of graphics problem appeared - unfortunately I didn't get to take a picture of it but first the game froze and then the ground went lightblue like the sky while the game was still frozen so that I had to shut down the computer. I don't know if it has anything to do with the other problem but I think their might be some part of the game that is corrupted - also, since it didn't go away after I reinstalled, I have an idea that it could be something in the "The Sims 2" folder.

I dont have any graphics problem in my other application - or at least none yet.

By the way, thank you very much for continuing to help me! I really appreciate it. Those mac computer are really a mysterium when it comes to solving problems!
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 8:42 PM
I now tried to reinstall the game and went into the family again and for a while I thought the problem has disappeared! But after 45 minutes or so it came back.. And I also lowered my graphics.

Also, yesterday, I was building a new community lot and a new kind of graphics problem appeared - unfortunately I didn't get to take a picture of it but first the game froze and then the ground went lightblue like the sky while the game was still frozen so that I had to shut down the computer. I don't know if it has anything to do with the other problem but I think their might be some part of the game that is corrupted - also, since it didn't go away after I reinstalled, I have an idea that it could be something in the "The Sims 2" folder.

I dont have any graphics problem in my other application - or at least none yet.

By the way, thank you very much for continuing to help me! I really appreciate it. Those mac computer are really a mysterium when it comes to solving problems!

Another Tip I will share with you is go and find your Aspyr folder and then select it and drag it your Dock, then you will have a copy of your Aspyr folder in your Dock and whenever you want to access it, just go to the Dock access it from there.

Before we try anything next make sure that you have a backup copy of your The Sims 2 Folder and it is somewhere safe.

Well Ok let us try reinstalling and when you reinstall you should move two preferences files located here ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore.plist
and another located here
~/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore.plist

the ~ character stands for your home user directory

it is likely best to use Go To Folder in the Finder and put the path with out the file name in to it or use the Spotlight Search {the magnifying glass icon at the top Left of your screen}

Move the two preference files somewhere else and after you reinstall the game the next time you run it, it will generate new ones and go to the defaults, so you will need to remember to check and make sure the box is checked so that CC is enabled in your game.

Check to see if the problems still occur.

If so the next thing we can try is making the game generate new files, so move out your The Sims 2 folder from the Aspyr folder and then run the game, it will generate everything from scratch.

Check to see if the problems still occur.

if you don't see the problems now, you can replace a few of the new folders with your backup ones Neighborhood as that has your Neighborhood, also Saved Sims and LotCatalog and Downloads and test again.

You said that you tested without your Downloads folder before so that should be safe.

Oh yeah I like to try to help others and yeah some of this stuff is not exactly intuitive, I know it from what others told me. heh.

At least reinstalling is not hard, just remember to deal with those two Preference files. Note current practice on the Mac is to have preference files named with a .plist extension.

If it is not hardware based as in something to do with your Mac itself, we should be able to track it down somehow.

BTW: you explain and show what your problem is well and explain what you did, so that makes it somewhat easier.

I feel your Frustration!