Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 4:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
In defense of gimmicks, they are a perfectly acceptable and common way to advertise a product. The problem comes when your gimmick sucks. When you think about it, each game in the Sims series had its own little gimmick or feature to set it apart from what came before it. The problem is that TS4's gimmick (emotions and social interaction) does not hold a candle to any of the series previous gimmicks in terms of innovation.

In my defense, I was trying to be funny while making a pop culture reference. Might have been too subtle.

Yeah I agree about gimmicks. I don't mind gimmicks myself, but they should be the cherry on top of the dessert, not the entirety of the meal.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 4:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Apsalar
In my defense, I was trying to be funny while making a pop culture reference. Might have been too subtle.

Lol yeah, I know you were just trying to be funny. I was just clearing up the gimmick thing because I've seen more that word being used negatively more than once, by people who weren't joking.

The Receptacle still lives!
Field Researcher
#28 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 5:04 AM
I'm not outraged, but I'm not really impressed either. I am all for free occults (even tho plantsims really aren't at this time), but the execution with these left way more to be desired.

You know they have grafting already with gardening, imo it would have been a lot better if you grafted your way to the forbidden fruit.

It's kind of ironic that your sim doesn't actually do any gardening to become a plantsim. You socialize, plop the magic beans on the stump, water it one time and presto ~ you have an obnoxiously huge Willow creek tree that is a rabbit hole and all it does it give your sim a fruit. Don't know if anyone else has gave it a go, but the trees do not work on penthouse lots. Mine teleported onto the plaza 30 fake stories below and became a world object I couldn't remove without cheats.

Overall I didn't use Plantsims much in Sims 3, I did a little in Sims 2, and I have done it once in Sims 4. PlantSims, like many other things in The Sims 4 are a "one and done" thing. I'll use it once, realize the limited potential it holds, and usually never touch it again.
Instructor
Original Poster
#29 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by misstrgal
my mistake, I forgot about them because I did not really play with them, no need to freak out over it

You made an entire argument based around a false assumption: "Fairies replaced Plantsims in Sims 3"
I think I'm entitled to a little incredulity. Next time actually check if Plantsims were a Life State in Sims 3 instead of just assuming that they weren't if you can't remember the game that well why would you assume your assertion was correct? Espeacially when I mention Sims 3 plantsims in my original post.
Instructor
Original Poster
#31 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 5:15 AM
Incidentally does anyone have any idea how I might go about converting the Sylvari hair and skins from Guild Wars 2 to Sims 4? If Ea won't give me proper dryads I guess I'll need to do it my damn self. -_-
Instructor
Original Poster
#32 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 5:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
It's been how many years....? Since Sims 4 came out?

Years don't matter if the content their putting out isn't up to snuff. Time only heals wounds if the wounds aren't infected.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 5:28 AM
It's been how many years....? Since Sims 4 came out?

I guess that depends on who's definition you're using. For us regular people it's been an abysmal 2.5 years / for the people at Maxis it's "just the beginning! There's so much in store!"
Instructor
Original Poster
#35 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 5:56 AM
No I just meant that, you know... they haven't put in the effort since the beginning, they're not going to now. It's been a while.

Although I still must say, I was quite impressed with City Living.

And I was quite impressed with vampires, which is why I'm appalled by this. You can't even edit the Plantsims "skin" so my Sylvari idea looks like it's for nothing.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 6:05 AM
I mean...the number 4 is in the title. This isn't a spin-off game, like Freeplay or Medieval. It's not really anyone's fault if they thought that would mean the next installment in a series should be better (or at least try to be better). As far as I know, The Sims is the only franchise I can think of where fans are urged not to judge a sequel by what came before it. The other two sequels were successors to what came before them. Now all of a sudden we shouldn't consider the fourth to be that in order to justify why things have turned out the way they did? I'm sorry but that excuse has never made sense to me.

There are many things in this world that don't make sense. Trying to wrap your mind around only leads unneeded energy being spent on things that are inventively trivial.

We could argue the importance of a single digit or look at the bigger picture.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Instructor
Original Poster
#37 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
There are many things in this world that don't make sense. Trying to wrap your mind around only leads unneeded energy being spent on things that are inventively trivial.

We could argue the importance of a single digit or look at the bigger picture.

Your bigger picture seems set on ignoring the consequences of letting EA run a beloved franchise into the ground through it's own greed and laziness.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 2:49 PM
I am the same as many of us. I tried plant sims in the past and once done said been there done that and had no interest in them from that point on. I think my one in 3 had an "accident" not long after he aged up from a teen. So I am fine with this challenge as I will check them out, and then I am sure will not want to play one again. My current family I have been playing is all vamps. That would be interesting. (!) I may do the challenge with someone else I have made to fill lots. For me this is OK as it gives me something new to do, for a while, before heading back to 3.

If witches ever come, which I hope they do, I do want them do be done as well as the vamps.
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 15th Apr 2017 at 6:53 PM
Well, the original Plantsims of Sims 2 were indeed formed from regular sims who did too much spraying of their garden with pesticides. But they certainly didn't just morph back into regular humans!

if they screw up the witches (probably my favorite occult, as I think it is the case with many simmers) I think a lot more people than this will be angry. (Particularly after putting work and effort into the Sims 4 incarnation of vampires, and it shows.)
Mad Poster
#40 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 12:27 AM
Content being free doesn't excuse it from being less than stellar. I'm sure consumers would rather pay for quality PlantSims than to get something boring for free.

Quote: Originally posted by drake_mccarty
I guess that depends on who's definition you're using. For us regular people it's been an abysmal 2.5 years / for the people at Maxis it's "just the beginning! There's so much in store!"

They have actual stuff? They must be hiding it all of the way in back.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#41 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 2:01 AM Last edited by pretenshus : 16th Apr 2017 at 2:16 AM.
oooohhhh nooooo
not another sims 4 boo boo :O

edit: I sound like an ass
in reality, the point I would like to make is that the sims 4 at its base is kind of like weak concrete foundation and all the content they keep adding on is the house and its decor.
You could complain about how the new wallpaper in the house is creasing due to crumbling walls... or you could just accept your sinking lopsided house and its stale bread stick framework.
Instructor
Original Poster
#42 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
oooohhhh nooooo
not another sims 4 boo boo :O

edit: I sound like an ass
in reality, the point I would like to make is that the sims 4 at its base is kind of like weak concrete foundation and all the content they keep adding on is the house and its decor.
You could complain about how the new wallpaper in the house is creasing due to crumbling walls... or you could just accept your sinking lopsided house and its stale bread stick framework.

The problem with the metaphor is you can't unstale stale bread but you can fix a video game, it's incredibly unlikely because it would require the people behind it to admit their wrong. But theoretically at least there's nothing stopping someone from fixing the games problems and EAs business strategy. Nothing but human stubborness and greed anyway.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 3:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
if they screw up the witches (probably my favorite occult, as I think it is the case with many simmers) I think a lot more people than this will be angry. (Particularly after putting work and effort into the Sims 4 incarnation of vampires, and it shows.)

Witches will be my last straw. That was my favorite life state in TS2 and TS3. If they mess that up, thats it for me as far as monetary support is concerned. And for the love of all that is holy, let kids use magic. That was the worst decision they made with most of the occults in TS3. Babies and toddlers, I can understand. But kids should be able to start utilizing their cool powers lol

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#44 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 4:48 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Apr 2017 at 5:00 AM.
So far I've only seen the videos, but the so-called plantsims do seem more like an afterthought. Instead of being actual lifestates, now they're just temporary green sims with some extra moodlets. Hardly worth the title of plantsims. And being the result of an Easter egg hunt? Sounds like the lamest way ever to go about introducing them, and does not even make the slightest bit of sense.

Within the sims verse, they were more logical in TS2 (exposure to chemicals = superpowers, according to most superhero/villain franchises), and to a degree TS3 (Popeye gets his superpower from spinach, so a superfruit isn't that far of a stretch).
Scholar
#45 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 6:34 AM
Witches will be my last straw. That was my favorite life state in TS2 and TS3. If they mess that up, thats it for me as far as monetary support is concerned. And for the love of all that is holy, let kids use magic. That was the worst decision they made with most of the occults in TS3. Babies and toddlers, I can understand. But kids should be able to start utilizing their cool powers lol

I agree. But it's expected they would treat witches as vampires, which means no kid witches. It doesn't seem like EA wants to pay for more than 'adult' animations if they can help it. Since the beginning of this game they've made a habit of cutting as much corners as possible. And once they've made a 'decision' and released something, they don't go back and change and improve unless they can help it either. Toddlers seems to have been a one time thing as far as improvements go. I'd love to be wrong.
In fact the statement 'I'd love to be wrong' will be echoing around the sim franchise for a long time at this rate. Quite the depressing conjecture.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Scholar
#46 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 3:09 PM Last edited by pretenshus : 17th Apr 2017 at 4:05 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by DesereiPandemoni
The problem with the metaphor is you can't unstale stale bread but you can fix a video game, it's incredibly unlikely because it would require the people behind it to admit their wrong. But theoretically at least there's nothing stopping someone from fixing the games problems and EAs business strategy. Nothing but human stubborness and greed anyway.

Yes, that's true and a bit more optimistic but this is a game made by EA so I'm just jumping straight to reality. They're currently and most likely will continue adding windows and beams to a house in a sinkhole all the while subliminally making people think that THIS Add-on or game pack is going to make some boo boos nearly unnoticeable! But what's the current trend? With almost every addition there's something wrong. It's ok to make mistakes but over and over either means they're super careless or there's a deeper problem that just isnt going to go away.

And since historically EA is unreliable BUT will continue steamroll everyone's more major concerns in the pursuit of money.... I'd say just take sims 4 as it is, a very vibrant mess.
Theorist
#47 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 12:50 AM
but I'm sure there are people who loved the Plantsim life state in previous games

*Looks around room*
Anyone?
I always considered malware a better use of hard drive space than those.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Theorist
#48 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 12:55 AM
but I'm sure there are people who loved the Plantsim life state in previous games

*Looks around room*
Anyone?
I'd rather have malware on my hard drive than those.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#49 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 1:12 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 17th Apr 2017 at 4:47 AM.
I kinda liked plantsims in TS2. The toddlers were cute, and the plantsim lifestage did make more sense from a Sims perspective, though I would have preferred if it was for all ages. I haven't played much with any of the supernaturals for quite some time, though.
Instructor
Original Poster
#50 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
*Looks around room*
Anyone?
I'd rather have malware on my hard drive than those.

I loved them but I always thought they could be better fleshed out and foolishly it seems I took the Vampires pack as a sign that eventually this time they would be. Instead they're less than ever before and have had all roleplaying value removed since you can't grow babies anymore.

I loved doing that in Sims 3 it made me feel so mad scientist.
Page 2 of 5