Latest Site News

2018 MTS Calendar Contest - posted on 12th Nov 2017 at 8:48 PM
Replies: 30 (Who?), Viewed: 2268 times.
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 3:30 PM
Default SimNation mapping
I would imagine SimNation being a lot like America. Pleasantview would be located in Sim State, which is located on the west. Sunset Valley, the Old Town and SimCity would be nearby. In the mountains of SimCity, there is Arbor Falls. Four Corners might be near Pleasantview, as Riley Harlow has said something about eating a burger at Pleasantview before moving to Four Corners. Strangetown is pretty much a Nevada small town, so that is in a neighboring state of Sim State. I would like to place Veronaville on the east of SimNation, as the Sims there are wearing modern American fashion, and the east of the United States shares an ocean with Europe.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 3:45 PM
Pleasantview-California?
Strangetown-New Mexico or Nevada?
Veronaville: New England?

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
Instructor
#3 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 5:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Crat
Veronaville: New England?

Nah, Veronaville is something in the south-west. Plus it also features a lot of palm trees and other vegetation from that area that wouldn't do well in New England. (just like Pleasantview)

Riverblossom Hills could be in New England, though.

Funny enough the original Neighbourhood from Sims 1 had a French quarter, would that place it somewhere in the former French colonies? (please correct here)

Of course I don't regard the four different games as being in the same universe...
Alchemist
#4 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 7:22 PM
Having lived in the southwest my whole life, I can state categorically that there is no landscape as verdant and green as Veronaville anywhere within 500 miles of here! If we're not putting it in Europe somewhere (which is what I'd envision- it's the only one that I don't think fits in a fictionalized North America) I'd put it somewhere near the Mississippi, probably in Louisiana, thanks to the levee and the type of vegetation.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Theorist
#5 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 7:59 PM
I figure Veronaville is meant to be So-Cal, but since I play a megahood, I need the cities to be close enough to make sense for travel between them. No more than a couple hours apart. So I've got some massive mental mountain ranges in my sim-nation with tunnels under them.

So Veronaville has a Pacific NW type climate, cool and rainy, not hot, rarely snowy, year around (spring/spring/autumn/autumn). ALT is near there, a little higher in the mountains so it gets snow (spring/autumn/winter/winter), Riverblossom is at the same altitude on the other side of the peaks with the same seasons but less moisture (in my head). Pleasantville is down the coast enough that it stays warmer year round (spring/summer/summer/autumn). Strangetown and LFT are inland and dry/hot (summer/summer/summer/summer). Bluewater Village is a touristy area on the other coast and has normal four seasons, as does SSU, Belladonna, and Downtown. Belladonna and Downtown are right together, with Belladonna being the residential suburb area of SimCity and Downtown being Downtown. Desiderata is further north of those towns (spring/autumn/winter/winter). Widespot, of course, is a little inland town, somewhere between Bluewater and Riverblossom, and the completion of the highway both put Widespot on the map and finished the connection project. Twikkii is an island off the southwest of Pleasantview. Takemizu is an island north-east of Desiderata. Three Lakes is up in the far northern mountains, roughly north of Widespot but remote and difficult enough to get to that it requires a plane to access.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Banned
#6 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 8:22 PM Last edited by HarVee : 30th Apr 2017 at 11:26 AM.
I personally always thought of SimNation was more like mix of various real countries. Sort of umbrella term for an entire large continent mass and archipelago ruled by one fictional government body, hence why places that are not American still use same SimNation laws and government structure. And despite having most its locations take inspiration from U.S. locations, it's not really suppose to be a Simlish depiction of it...I could be wrong, but from what I understand loctions of Sims are likely based like this:

Arizona - La Fiesta Tech
Austria - Dragon Valley
Brazil - Isla Paradiso
California - Sunset Valley | Starlight Shores | Bridgeport | Studio Town
Canada - Great Lakes | Granite Falls
China - Shang Simla
Christmas Island - Sunlit Tides
Delaware - Bluewater Village
Egypt - Al Simhara
Florida - Roaring Heights
France - Académie Le Tour | Champs Les Sims
Georgia - Sim State University
Germany - Windenburg
Hawaii - Twikkii Island
Iceland - Aurora Skies
Indiana - Desiderata Valley
Italy - Veronaville | Monte Vista
Japan - Melbourne | Takemizu Village | San Myshuno
Louisiana - Old Town | Pleasantview | Willow Creek | Newcrest | Magnolia Promenade | Riverview | Twinbrook | SimValley
Maine - Moonlight Falls
Nevada - Lucky Palms
New Hampshire - Sims University
New Mexico - Sedona | Strangetown | Oasis Springs
New York State - Downtown | SimCity | Urbzville
New Zealand - Barnacle Bay
North Dakota - Appaloosa Plains
Pennsylvania - Belladonna Cove
Wisconsin - Riverblossom Hills
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 8:25 PM
I love thinking about how the premade 'hoods would fit together on a map! This version is my favourite, but I also like this one (which includes some of the premade SC4 terrains as well as the premade 'hoods).

I would love to see a map made in a similar way to the first one that I linked, but which included some user-made 'hoods like Widespot and Land Grant University!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 11:07 PM
My mental map of the sim world has nothing to do with any real world country or continent. It's bordered by mountains to the north and northwest, ocean to the east and southeast, desert to the south and southwest, and an enormous forest to the west. Takemizu is across the ocean to the east, while Twikkii is in the southeastern ocean, both either at the edge of or just off the map (if I ever drew it up).

Riverblossom Hills is the furthest north, at the foot of a mountain range. (Well, technically Three Lakes up in that range is further north yet, but I'm talking actual 'hoods.) Not far from RBH but a little to the south, and in the valleys between the hills, are Desiderata Valley and Academie Le Tour. RBH is spring/fall/winter/winter, the other two spring/fall/fall/winter.

In the central part, on or near the coast, are the most populated areas - Downtown, Belladonna Cove, Bluewater Village, and Sim State. All four are spring/summer/fall/winter. BC and BV are near each other on the coast, Downtown a bit inland from BC, and SSU inland from Downtown.

Slightly southwest of these four, on a river leading to that coast, are Pleasantview and Veronaville, both with spring/summer/fall/fall. Veronaview is the western of the two, near the edge of the great forest, while Pleasantview is closer to the sea.

To the south of Veronaville and southwest of Pleasantview, on the other side of a range of hills, is Academie Le Tour. The hills act as a rain trap, so ALT is in a desert, with seasons set to spring/summer/summer/fall. Deeper into the desert, near the corner of the map, is Strangetown, set to summer/summer/summer/fall.

The great western forest is full of magical creatures - elves, werewolves, plantsims (mostly in the northern part, where the forest meets the mountains) and a few covens of witches. Bigfeet live in the mountains. Vampires go wherever they please, but tend to prefer downtown due to the better options for nightlife. Aliens seem to be approaching from the south.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 11:30 PM
@HarVee

Isla Paradiso looks more like somewhere in Caribe (Barbados, maybe?) than Brazil.
Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
#10 Old 28th Apr 2017 at 11:35 PM
HV, Don't think about us hey, but NZ gets a spot?

Since I don't play any pre-made hood and am not American, no I don't think of any US places.

Here is my take on my hood, you might want to Google these places.

Coral Bay is kind of like 1770, and yes that is a towns name over here.

Dolphin Point would be Bundy or real name 'Bundaburg.'

Baskerville would be Birdsville.

Middleground undecided, maybe Balmian NSW.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#11 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 12:02 AM
New Zealand, no. NZ doesn't have palm trees - too temperate.
#12 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 12:27 AM
I decided that my megahood, Oakbrook, is somewhere on the west coast, probably California. The desert subhoods (Strangeville, La Fiesta, and Sedona) are explained by being on the other side of the mountains and subject to the rain shadow effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_shadow

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur.

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too!
Instructor
#13 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 1:31 AM
Actually, based on the Shakespearean novels that I was forced to read (old English ) Veronaville is presumably based on England and parts of Italy, due to the Mediterranean and Tudor architecture, both customary within their respective countries...

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
Banned
#14 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 10:10 AM Last edited by HarVee : 29th Apr 2017 at 10:26 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rguerra
@HarVee

Isla Paradiso looks more like somewhere in Caribe (Barbados, maybe?) than Brazil.

It remind me of Brazil because of not just Spanish influence, but also because the giant statue on the mountain seems similar to Cristo Redentor in Rio de Janeiro. But it could be Barbados, or maybe Cayman Islands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
HV, Don't think about us hey, but NZ gets a spot?

Not sure what you mean by this? New Zealand got a spot in my interpretation because I was thinking about New Zealand...? The history and layout of Barnacle Bay, despite having palm trees, just reminds me of New Zealand.
Needs Coffee
#15 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 10:38 AM
Meaning Australia didn't get a look in and we are one huge piece of land. Rivalry between us Aussies and Kiwis is a bit of known joke.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#16 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 1:45 PM
Mad Poster
#17 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 4:30 PM
Africa is bigger than that.
South Africa?
Going off to have a drink.

Windows 10 and the Ultimate Collection
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=568275
Banned
#18 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 4:41 PM Last edited by HarVee : 29th Apr 2017 at 5:21 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prah

I actually like that map layout more than layout of real Earth.

But it seems weird to list San Francisco when Bridgeport is Sims version of that, and SimCity and Urbzville are based on same New York City location. One could say that Urbzville is more like New Jersey City of SimNation, but by that map Roaring Heights is part of Urbzville, and Urbzville is largest city on SimEarth in terms of land size as Cozmo street, etc. are all neighborhoods of it and not individual cities.

Also, why Timbuktu listed? Only mention of that location was in SimCity 4.... If official SimCity locations are taken into consideration then there should be much more cities and many duplicate cities and it would be little land space left on that SimEarth...
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 6:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarVee
It remind me of Brazil because of not just Spanish influence, but also because the giant statue on the mountain seems similar to Cristo Redentor in Rio de Janeiro. But it could be Barbados, or maybe Cayman Islands. .

In fact it ressemble Rio de Janeiro a little, but I think the statue would be more Art Deco if it was based on Cristo Redentor and Isla Paradiso would be a coastal city instead of a archipelago if Rio was the main influence. Maybe is a case of mixed influences, like Veronaville is a mix of european influences, mainly Italy and England.
Scholar
#20 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 12:39 AM
It appears as earth after the polar ice caps have all melted.
I would have thought Alpinloch would be in the sim equivalent of Europe.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 2:58 AM
I find that Highway 58, part of which runs through California's Mojave Desert, especially the stretch closest to Edwards AFB, really makes me think of Strangetown every time I drive that way. It's quite reasonable for some EA employees who might've driven to Las Vegas for a long fun weekend to have used that as their inspiration for Strangetown.
Banned
#22 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 10:43 AM Last edited by HarVee : 30th Apr 2017 at 6:33 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMposiast
I find that Highway 58, part of which runs through California's Mojave Desert, especially the stretch closest to Edwards AFB, really makes me think of Strangetown every time I drive that way. It's quite reasonable for some EA employees who might've driven to Las Vegas for a long fun weekend to have used that as their inspiration for Strangetown.

Strangetown is based off Roswell, New Mexico. It's apparent with its undercover Aliens, Millitary family and crashed UFO ship themes all in reference to Roswell UFO Incident of the 1940's. The highway in the middle is based off of U.S. Route 380.

The sand in Nevada a light tan or black-grey colour, not red like Strangetown or even LA Fiesta Tech has, thus making both of them non-Nevada and based of furthest south-west states close of the Mexico border such as New Mexico and Arizona which are notable for their red sand, cacti and large mesas. Nevada also does not have saguaro cacti. (the Maxis cactus)

LA Fiesta Tech is based off University of Phoenix, Arizona. With the "Tech" part of its name most likely a reference to the University's large emphasis on Online learning and being one of the first major University's in United States to feature an internet course.
Needs Coffee
#23 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 1:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpetro
Africa is bigger than that.
South Africa?
Going off to have a drink.

Petro you and I will have to go and have a drink to commiserate each other that our countries are not found worthy.
Screenshots

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#24 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 1:49 PM
There isn't mine either, or maybe under ice. But fun part is that finally China meets Europa and Moscow is pushed far north.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 4th May 2017 at 12:32 AM
Some places on that map are probably fanmade, Serengeti doesn't appear to exist.
Page 1 of 2