Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 11:27 PM
What is ad.fly?
I am running into this so much now from Tumblr and Blog downloads for custom content for TS4. I never saw this before. What is ad.fly? Why do people use it? Is it good or bad?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 11:33 PM
Maybe google and find out?

https://www.google.com/search?site=...0k1.0_g9lHgMTco

And ..... there is a lot of talk about it here.

http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=594183
Mad Poster
#3 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 11:46 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Jun 2017 at 11:58 PM.
A website that's even more annoying than it's namesake (fly, or flies in plural), that most people with a bit of sense in them would use one of these on if they had a chance:

(I already have a few variations as browser add-ons and workarounds, by the way. Nifty little things. Zaps those buggers right where it hurts, so I don't have to deal with them...)

As you might have guessed, I hate adf.ly with a passion. I don't mind regular, benign, non-intrusive ads on a website - but the minute people make you go through a completely unneccessary site infested with ads to get to a download (particularly when they use free sites as file hosts), they lose some of my respect.
Instructor
#4 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 7:23 AM
AdF.ly Skipper

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 7:57 PM
I can't even begin to tell you how many viruses I got from adf.ly even WITH anti virus stuff installed. That extension will be really helpful. >.>
Forum Resident
#7 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiddypatches
I can't even begin to tell you how many viruses I got from adf.ly even WITH anti virus stuff installed. That extension will be really helpful. >.>
Hmm, that actually sounds like you either have a shitty antivirus or you clicked/downloaded things you weren't supposed to. I've been on the internet for so long and visited so many adfly links, but I never got a virus.
Theorist
#8 Old 15th Jun 2017 at 8:16 PM Last edited by ShigemiNotoge : 15th Jun 2017 at 8:33 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by BagelTheDog
http://adf.boxxod.net/
This is a website that you input the ad.fly url and it will skip it for you.

I can't thank you enough. with this I've gotten at least 5 new toddler hairs whose adf.ly links were broken.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 6:48 AM
If it is so bad why are intelligent custom content creators using it?
Forum Resident
#10 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 6:55 AM
Because it gives you money? Who doesn't love money?
It's like 0.0000002c every click, but still.

It's why you have people making plant pots and shit linking every color separately with an ad.fly link attached to each download. It's not a lot so they need to stretch it out.
Theorist
#12 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 1:52 PM Last edited by ShigemiNotoge : 16th Jun 2017 at 8:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Here you go.

Adf.ly Skipper Extension Chrome

I installed this and half the adf.ly links brought me to one 'o these

but maybe my system is borked. the website Bagel mentioned works fine though.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 7:32 PM
What is ad.fly? Annoying. I refuse to download anything that uses it. Whatever it is, I don't need it *that* badly.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 7:39 PM
Field Researcher
#15 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
I installed this and half the adf.ly links brought me to one 'o these

but maybe my system is borked. the website Bagel mentioned works fine though.

Not your system I have Chrome and I get the same thing on alot of sites, I think they already came up with a way to block the skipper.
Instructor
#16 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 10:37 PM
Firefox. Noscript. Problem solved!

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 10:53 AM
Found this today on my Tumblr dashboard:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Source: http://twofingerswhiskey.tumblr.com...ly-is-currently)

this is just a warning but, adfly is currently running an ad that ransoms browsers and can only be killed by killing the entire browser - what you're doing - in task manager VERY QUICKLY.

please use your MIDDLE mouse button to click on adfly links after the timer counts down. adfly skipper can also help this, but, not always

IT WORKS AROUND ADBLOCK PLUS AND UBLOCK ORIGIN (I HAVE BOTH)

it wants you to install an extension and fullscreens a very loud ad with a voice saying "please click add button to install extension"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hasn't happened to me - but if the above is the case (and I don't doubt it), this is the reason I don't even want to come near Adf.ly with a mile-long stick. You just don't know what's lurking on those nasty adf.ly pages, so I don't even want to have them open in my browser, even with all the extra precautions. The best adf.ly skipper I've come across so far is the boxxod page.
Theorist
#18 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 3:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Hasn't happened to me - but if the above is the case (and I don't doubt it), this is the reason I don't even want to come near Adf.ly with a mile-long stick. You just don't know what's lurking on those nasty adf.ly pages, so I don't even want to have them open in my browser, even with all the extra precautions. The best adf.ly skipper I've come across so far is the boxxod page.

It is very much the case, I have encountered this multiple times . it is indeed quite loud which is bad because I have a sound phobia and I have to unplug my speakers before I can even start dealing with it.

They're either asking you to install something or "click here to continue" and clicking cancel just re-opens the same dialogue box and replays the message. Ctrl+Alt+Del is the only solution at this point as the dialogue box instantly re-opens and prevents you from clicking the X out of your browser.
Instructor
#19 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 4:13 PM
i've seen that virus is other websites too many times not just adfly.

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Theorist
#20 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 4:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by XtraSim
i've seen that virus is other websites too many times not just adfly.

Any page dedicated to adds, really can host it.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 11:46 AM
The adfly blocker extension and the TSR extension have pretty much changed my life, not even gonna lie.
Instructor
#23 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 3:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BagelTheDog
I've also gotten other ones like that, like a fake Microsoft page with a loud voice telling you to call a number otherwise your computer will be shut down. "Your computer is at risk from a virus infection. It is sending your personal information and emails to hackers. Please call customer support at this toll free number. If you do not call and ignore this warning, we will be forced to disable your computer to prevent further infection to our network." The disabling (of course) doesn't happen, it's just really scary when it fullscreens you and popups you. And another one telling me that my facebook is at risk, when I don't even have a facebook.

how stupid do they think people are?

Theorist
#24 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 7:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
The adfly blocker extension and the TSR extension have pretty much changed my life, not even gonna lie.

O.O what TSR extension is this?!

Even with both add-blockers disabled it still makes me wait a whole minute without tabbing away to download a single item. I gave up years ago.
Forum Resident
#25 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
O.O what TSR extension is this?!

Even with both add-blockers disabled it still makes me wait a whole minute without tabbing away to download a single item. I gave up years ago.

TSR Ad Skipper for Google Chrome. It's amazing!
Page 1 of 2