Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 8:09 PM Last edited by gazania : 11th Aug 2017 at 9:44 PM.
Default We Now Return to "Can this Lot be Saved"?
OK, OK. I'm not going to actually get rid of the lot. I like it, even if it's flawed, and plan to use it in my game. But should this lot be saved here? Uploaded? Or should it remain a curiosity in my game, and we will speak no more of it?

When last we left, I had posted something in the other building forum about weird sinking tiles. I fixed that by re-structuring the lot. (Complete Rebuild #1) That was Revision (counts on fingers) three or so? I'm up to ten, and these revisions here may push it to twelve, fourteen or more by the time everyone is done.

Some bits and pieces:
  • Personal challenge here ... no more than eight CC items. Preferably six. I love CC, and would like to use it, but I know whenever I see a lot with three dozen CC items, I get glassy-eyed and don't upload it. And listing line after line of links could be exhausting both for me and anyone else who wants to upload this. Also, if I go away from MTS or Sims FileShare, we run the risk of dead links if we get too long with them.
  • I like small lots, and I cannot lie.
  • I'd rather not expand the building. The foundation has been sunk and the ceiling has been dummied. Unless there is a pressing reason to go into Complete Rebuild #3 (I had to do #2 when I packaged a lot while half-asleep and realized, "Oh, crap! Did I play that lot?" [Buzzer sound] Time for another rebuild) I moved the lot to one side while I was at it.
  • You'll be seeing stuff moving around as I upload pictures. I'm playing "this or that?" with certain aesthetics. If you think to yourself. "Ah! I see what she's doing, but I like the previous version better, or she might want to use THIS Maxis item instead", please tell me. Things can get fuzzy when you go into Revision 11.
  • This particular lot has NOT been played. I even named it DO NOT PLAY THIS in case I get some half-asleep notions again. Any play-testing has been done on my PLAY THIS ONE copy.
  • Some of you folks might have seen my entries on the Community Spirit contest. I tend to use sedate colors. Well this time, darn it, I'm just not in the mood. I want big! Bold! Primary colors!
  • What is the lot? I'm between two things: a specialized store selling wooden toys, or a Gymboree-type of place. I'm leaning toward the latter, but that would mean more mods. Justpetro already did a fine store, so I'm reluctant to step on toes. But first, I just want to get the building sorted.

Time for Episode 1: She's (dramatic gasp) Wearing the Same Dress!

When this happens in real life, I compliment people for their good taste. But really, this shouldn't happen on MTS!

Here was the lot where I last left it before The Dress Incident:

Needed more work, but I thought I was about 80% there.

Problem? When I saw Joandsarah77's post here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...590#post5254590, #36, I gasped. Our lots look way too similar! Blue wall, yellow brick. So I set out to make my lot somewhat different.

The yellow part is easy. Just use the siding. The floor plan that inspired me has siding, so no biggie. The red accents ... I don't see any problem, It's the blue paint. First, I tried that bright blue Maxis paint:

I tried custom CC paints, but very few of them are actually a true dark or medium solid blue. They tend to be muddied or a lighter blue. The Poppet color action "Cannonball" is a nice blue, and I considered that, but I think a darker blue would bring out the decal. I spent hours looking for just that right shade of blue, without molding or white grout. There aren't many darker true blue(jewel-tone) walls. Trust me on this one. Also, I'd have to count that as a piece of CC, and I'd rather use the six for items.

Then I saw the Maxis witchy blue wall, Eureka! I think? It's still vivid, but a little more gentler on the eyeballs, I think:

But (cue organ music) is this different enough from joandsarah77's lot? And are people still shielding their eyes?

Episode 2 ... Up on the Roof

Then there is the roof edging. I'm just itchin' to get the ailias ones I like so much, but I'm still keeping to that 6 - 8 list for as long as possible, and there are just so many cool toddler CC toys. It will be hard enough to limit THOSE to six. I'd rather not use the molding that joandsarah77 used because I'm trying to make this lot as different as possible, I tried the space-agey Maxis one, but facing out, it just looked clunky to me. When I accidentally put it on backwards, though, I thought it didn't look so bad. However, the simple, thin edging appeals more to me. Which one?

Episode 3 ... Walk this Way

Sidewalk/Tiled walk ... good as is? Extend? Contract?

Episode 4 ... Flowers in the Rain

What to do about the flowers? Flowers help brighten up the place. But it might already be bright enough! Bed daisies with railroad ties?

I had a combo originally (The first picture dates from before I switched out the bricks), but am leaning more toward the last version. It might be a little plain, though ....

Other comments are great too, of course. Please don't be too cruel.

Next post: the interior and the purpose of the lot (cues exit organ music)

NOTE:

There is neon around the "windows". I might want to switch out the lights inside the "showcase" though. They're quite ... red. Or ... not. I kind of like the reddish glow, now that I'm looking at it. (Quick in-game screenshot. I need to get off the machine. But I like neon. Can you tell?)

Oh ... and can this lot be saved?

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 8:25 PM
As I see it - it is a lovely lot and worth uploading. Some may like you lot, some may prefer Jo's, some my use both of them in different hoods - it really is not something that should bother you.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 11:33 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 11th Aug 2017 at 11:50 PM.
Gazania is this the lot you pm'd me about? It's nothing like mine! Don't worry. Those of us using mostly maxis only have so many childish colours and items to use so of course we are going to often pick the same ones. Yours is a gymboree and mine is a day care. Your building is nothing like mine and our play ground is quite different. Mine is a much bigger lot with a longer building.

I will go take a couple of pictures to show you-if I can get it to work, my monitor died last night (RIP long time square monitor of 10 years!) Now I have this strange skinny rectangle in front of me, so if my photos looked stretched that will be why. I should not complain we were given this for free.

Edit: if you wanted to use the yellow brick do so. Please don't change yours because of mine.
Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 11:52 PM
I really like what you have there, Gazania! It looks nothing like Jo's. Keep going I say!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#5 Old 11th Aug 2017 at 11:54 PM
Just chiming in to agree. It's got a similar color scheme, that's it Lots of lots have similar color schemes. In real life even! Don't throw it out just because Jo's lot happens to be the same colors. Like Jo said, Maxis only gives us so much.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 12:19 AM
I think you just ran out of excuses
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 2:54 AM Last edited by gazania : 13th Aug 2017 at 2:50 PM.
Thank you ... nice to know it doesn't stink at least. After many bleary hours and two complete rebuilds, I start wondering.

I'll probably go with yellow siding, plain roof edging, leaving in the red lights, keeping the plainer version of the flowers, and keeping the sidewalk as is .... for now. There will be tweaking ahead, I'm sure. I have lots of time to tweak

Part 2 is coming up, though, and it's a doozy ... what IS this place?

(Cues dramatic soap opera organ music) This place, situated in the middle of Vanilla Hood (yes, that's the name, though with a family in there, I guess it's not very vanilla), is a place in need of an identity. There are a few options:

A Gymboree with physical activity only
A Gymboree with physical, art and music activity
A store selling specialty toys. I was thinking of some type of local craftsperson selling rocking horses and the two wooden Maxis toys. But there are other toddler toys out there I can add that are as cute as cute can be!

Here is the shell of the place:

It's a pretty basic layout, but flexible. I can move walls a little to accommodate activities, move doors and windows, etc., switch rooms.

First of all, I'm using "Gymboree" rather loosely. Here in the states, it's a place for toddlers to play and do a little educational stuff in the process. It differs a little from a daycare in that parents can be with the child in many classes. I'm also blending this community center with programs such as family-fun events, what used to be called Mommy/Daddy and me classes (but grandparents, caretakers and siblings can participate, so that's really not exactly accurate).

I would like not only activities for toddlers, but for non-toddlers as well. Why should toddlers have all the fun?

Option one ... Just physical activities.

Advantage ... can put in a parenting room. This might encourage Sims to stay longer.

Disadvantage ... Kind of ... a little disappointing. Sophie-David did a splendid job with the Flamingo of Dance, but Sims keep flooding into the dance room, crowding out the toddlers. Yes, Visitor Controller can ban many of their butts, but Maxis doesn't let you do much with toddlers concerning physical activity (and that would add one more CC item to my list). Also, while the parenting room is nice, do Sims really need one for one- or two- Sim hour classes? In this and the next example, there is also a room for napping and quiet play. There is an administrative office, two bathrooms with usable changing tables, and benches and chairs throughout for tired Sims.

Sim toddlers keep climbing off the rocking horses, though they'll stay in the bouncers. But they will stay on the horses for a little while.

This is from Revision #4, which led to Re-build #2 because I feared I played this lot, and many things changed since that build. But it will give you a rough layout of a toddler-gym only situation.

CC

Toddlers can visit community lots .... you need a second mod for this as well.
Sims trampoline
Honeywell rocking horses
Baby-changing table
Flamingo of Dance
Toddler Bouncer
Phaenoh toddler mats

Total: 8

Option two ... A mix of activities

This is more in line with a Gymboree/Family fun center. One room is for music, one for art, one for physical activity, and one is for quiet play. Toddlers and their family and friends have a whole bunch of things to do. That is a big advantage. I like lots with a number of things to do.

The disadvantage is ... there may be no room for the parenting room. I had to shift rooms (because having a music room near the quiet play area didn't sound like a good idea), and needed the space for the music room. I hope someone won't mind .... It might be possible to get rid of one bathroom and put a very basic parenting room in there, though. Move the music room to the bathroom area on the left, stick the parenting room back in its original spot, albeit a little smaller. Is one bathroom enough, though?

This is my current layout in my "Play This Lot" test lot. If I go with the Gymboree/Family Fun Center option, I like this one better than the physical-exercise only rooms. Initial routing seems good. A toddler can fit on the horse near the wall without stompies. I might put the Maxis block toy with the art table. There is space for it, I believe.

Also, free coffee and hot chocolate! There is a door from the outside to the music room. I'm not overly crazy about it, but I'm not sure what to do with the right side of the lot. The sidewalk on the right side is a little too tight to do much with it. I could also make an entranceway to the art area instead. It was a problem when the area was a toddler dance studio, but I might be able to work with the door if it's an art area.

CC

Toddlers can visit community lots/separate mod
Sims toddler bouncers
Sims trampolines
That adorable toddler piano on this site.
Baby changing table
Honeywell rocking horses
Phaenoh toddler mats

Total: 8

Option three (not pictured, because I didn't make one yet) ... a store. This one would focus on Sim-crafted items ... rocking horses, the block toy, the xylophone. Perhaps furniture, since I would need more things to sell, as long as it's wooden. The outside can be a nice advertisement for a store with toys in the top "showcases". The shop owner would have samples, of course, for toddlers to test out.

CC

Changing table
Toddlers visit community lots mod
Four to six CC toys ... my pick

Advantage: It's roomy enough for a store!
Disadvantage: I tend to like community lots with things for Sims of all ages to do. Also, this comes way, way too close to justpetro's idea, and I'd rather not do that. Even if there are a few activities in common, mine wouldn't be a daycare, so it shouldn't be too similar to joandsarah77's lot.

My personal pick is Option 2. Ideas, please?

(Cue dramatic soap opera music)

The final segment ... the overall lot and any tiny details.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 2:09 PM
I would do it as a Gymboree/Family Fun Center. If you want more room for your activity table turn it on an angle.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Aug 2017 at 4:17 PM
I love the idea of a family fun centre with special activities for toddlers - I really don't think there are many of them.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 11:02 AM Last edited by gazania : 19th Aug 2017 at 11:32 AM.
Well, the game does present limits with the Gymboree/Family Fun Center (I need to think of a cutesie name for it ... Something Something Family Fun Center. Or Fun for Tots Center. Or something. Or call that bear thing in front of the place something and make it a mascot.) Anyway, I will have to work with the limits I have. I still am trying to make the CC list no more than eight items, including the toddler visiting community lots mod.

i have cleaned references and orb-ed the lot twice, packaged it, put it in a fresh hood with NSL in the lot, and am still tweaking it. Nearly forgot the second mod needed to make NSL work, but that's in now, too, and it was put in before I played any lot. No SocialDownloadTest in the three or four logs I've generated for it. That's good. Very good.

One thing, though ... unless I rebuild part of the building again, it looks like I'll have to live with the roofing I have. I cannot change any roofing near the "windows", unless I re-do the dummy floor for the third or fourth time. Good thing the roofing isn't all that bad. I could have used a really obnoxious tile that clashed with the building.

I'm encountering something slightly annoying. Not that annoying ... just a minor irritant or two.

Here is what I have so far. I think I'm up to Version 12. Pictures below.

First of all, it appears I have a de facto parenting area after all. Well, part of it is a quiet play/reading/napping area, but if I remember the contest, I have most of the requirements. I notice, though, that the parents cannot get a bottle for the toddler unless the toddler is really hungry. I hope that's normal. I tried a couple of fridges. I already know that parents can't get bottles out of the smallest one. I could leave the fridge out, though. The small white table outside the room is necessary if I keep the fridge; otherwise, Sims leave their beverages on the floor. How rude!

Secondly, I originally had a coffee and hot chocolate station in the hall, but that doesn't seem logical. The aquarium tank looks nice in the hallway, and fish is the one animal you can put on a community lot that the toddlers will look at. I'd rather not put a bird in there since the bird is an NPC, and Sim toddlers don't seem to care much about the womrat.

However, unless I use a mod that keeps fish in the tank or figure out some cheat (much like the perpetually-growing community garden), a Sim has to restock the tank every time. The mod is http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=314002. I'm gathering not that many people seem to know much about it. Since a Sim can restock the tank for 300 Simoleons, it is not an essential mod, so it won't be in my CC list. I'd rather not suggest a mod I haven't tested thoroughly over a long period of time. Sometimes, you don't see conflicts until weeks later. I'm not sure if I'd even want it for my game, since it does involve futzing around in Sim PE to make it work for custom tanks, and I have a few. But looking at it again in Sim PE, it looks like I simply have to change two group numbers ... I think. The original creator is no longer on MTS. But I digress.

Something should go there if it's not an aquarium, I think; preferably something for toddlers. I haven't figured that part out yet.

I do think, though, that good or bad, I should submit this soon!
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#11 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 1:39 PM
I will put some kind of edge around the roof (pediment or half wall or something) - even if it does not go on the front edge, it can go a bit behind that.

The trampolines may work better outside - every sim tends to go for them at once in my game Although they look good where they are, it may be easier to play the lot when they are outside.

I would also like a BBQ with a couple of outdoor dining tables. The parents will get hungry too.

Looking good
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th Aug 2017 at 5:30 PM Last edited by gazania : 20th Aug 2017 at 12:53 AM.
I'm kind of undecided about the trampolines ... I was since I first put them there. . The idea is that the parent bounces while the toddlers also bounce in the same room. However, in the game, the older Sims do somersaults, which would be really dangerous in a small space, and would probably knock them against the wall in real life. That would leave the need to put something in the room that would encourage adults to move. That room has to do with movement. Each room has something for both older AND toddler Sims to do. The radio could work, of course, but I have one in the music-making room, and two radios at the same time can be jarring. I would then want something in the music room for older Sims if I removed the radio. Something musical, of course. I had the microphone in it and only one xylophone in Version 10. That could work, but those poor napping tots! Those walls had better be soundproof!

Of course, there are some great custom instruments, such as bongos and the Castaway drum. I use those in my good game constantly, and Sims love, love, love that drum. They can't stay away from it. But those may need the Atavera fix, and that would be two extra CC items/mods. Six was difficult for me, eight isn't easy, KEEPING it at eight is still hard! If I were to post my normal lots on here, those have really long CC lists. Keep this up, and I'll be at "a dozen CC items or fewer"! And oh, can it easily climb up to that!

That pediment will drive me to utter distraction! I had the Space-Age one up there reversed ... that was the one I thought a good compromise between not enough and clunky that would also fit my modern design. In one revision, I also had the plain-ish Maxis one around Revision 9 or so. Originally, when I thought my building was too close to jo's, I decided against it because the idea is to make it as dissimilar to jo's lot as possible. The really low one isn't quite enough, I admit (looking longingly at the AIlias or the Michelle CC ones here that I use about 90% of the time on modern buildings. Yup. I could hit a dozen CC items in no time flat!). Now that we've seen both buildings, however, while the color schemes are similar, the design really is not even close. I could give that plain Maxis one a look-over again, too.

A grill was even in another revision, complete with concealed smoke alarm. (Revision 6? 7? Really ... those earlier ones are a blur now! ) Space could be an issue, since there should be tables and a counter as well. I'm also trying not to encourage Sims to use that fridge unless it's for drinks and light snacks, because Sims keep barging into the quiet play area to stuff their faces. But I'll keep that in mind. In still ANOTHER revision (please don't ask me which one that was! I think it was after 6!), I had the snack machine on the stair area on the right side. At least one juice or snack vending machine, I think, could work again, and I can easily squeeze one on that mostly-unused side, but those sodas and snacks aren't very healthy! Tsk, tsk, you Sims. Must be nice to be in a world with no tooth decay, and you can work off the calories in less than a day! We could pretend, though, those are healthy vending machines. OK, that's stretching things, but ... I do like the "return of the snack machine" idea.

Besides the aquarium, I'm also having some questions about that blank area where the Myushino game is now. That blank area needs ... something. A fountain would be a great alternative, but I remember back when my kids were small, they would make every effort to touch the water. I saw a very young child dressed oh-so-nicely in real life a week or so ago, and when the automatic sprinklers accidentally went off, that was far, far too tempting. She was one soaked kid by the time Dad got to her! I liked the interactivity of the Myushino game, though. It's always great Sims catnip. I may keep that in there.

EDIT ....

Put the hot chocolate-making machine back in there, anyway. The extra counter allows Sims to prepare cereals and lunch meat sandwiches from the fridge. Plus, there is a snack vending machine outside. Hopefully, no Sims dying from starvation here! I might move the sink, though, and put the coffee-maker back in there. A sink in the open area can pose too tempting a quick bathing opportunity for a stinky Sim, and I'd rather not have the Sim stand naked in the hallway. There are bathroom sinks, if needed.

I might want to slip in a table somewhere, if I can fit it. Sims seem to enjoy leaving their dishes on the floor! They do pick them up eventually, though. I might leave it out.

Right now, it's back to a plain Maxis roof edging. I'm not 100% feeling it, though. I'm still wondering if the space-age one, reversed, might match the building better. I did not like the space-age edging with the good side out.

Put in some more plants, statues, lights and pictures. Despite the lights I already have, it still was pretty dark out there! Got a smaller fish tank (Sims, you should be able to spare 55 Simoleons!).

The radio is in the motion room, and the microphone is back in the sound room. Sims love both, it seems. Trampolines are outside.

I'm looking at this later. My body is begging for a nap.

Pics later as well.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 1:44 AM
Well my lot is called Jack and Jill Daycare (so heads up on the name although I highly doubt we would have thought of the same one!) and I amaiting on one of gadayrs toddler car before I upload it since I plan to use it outside in the playground.

You might like this little blow up bounce on gazania. Its on my magic island lot but I am having trouble with the site right now.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:08 AM Last edited by gazania : 26th Aug 2017 at 2:56 AM.
Sigh. My struggles with the roof edging trudge on.

When we last left off, I had this:

This had the simple slim Maxis fencing. I have to admit ... I am really tempted to go to 9 CC items and use the Ailiias edging. But I will try to resist.

Then I put this edging on:

This is one of the simpler Maxis fencings/edgings, but I'm just not feeling it. It seems clunky with this building.

Then I put my second choice on;

I just don't like the dotty things facing out on the edging here, so I reversed it. I like the black and red version better than the all-white version.

And then there was this.

At least this last version fixed the roof color problem. And yes, this picture has grid-itis. Sorry. But it's it's pretty late here, and I'm starting to zone out.

Gazania needs more sleep. Lots more. Good night/morning.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 10:23 AM
I normally use the white one lower concrete one.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 5:44 PM
I actually like the last one. Looks nice with the colors, rounds it off well, but not chunky.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 8:00 PM Last edited by gazania : 26th Aug 2017 at 2:57 AM.
I'm thinking that as well. The red-edged half-wall brings out red highlights, and indenting the roof areas and highlighting the columns brings a sort of depth. The "showcases" actually stick out. Literally stick out on top and bottom on three sides of the building. The back showcase is only the top, though, since I needed the space below.

I can now sneak lights (the flat floor lamps) on top of the showcases as well, and they really light things up. No more dim lighting problems. That blue strip on the top in the front is begging for me to put ... something ... in there, but what, I haven't figured out. But I could leave it as is as well. I have the space-age fence on top of the neon strips, by the way, and I think than can work, too. It provides a clear line between the strips and the rest of the building. Maybe I should design more when I'm half-asleep and semi-delirious.

My daughter, who previously favored #1, also said she liked the last one the best.

if that concrete part was a deep dark color, that would have worked really, really well with the very bright primary colors, I think, and I would have used that straight-off. But although there are many CC roof edgings in darker colors, Maxis doesn't offer as many. The reverse space-age one has the right idea with the darker colors and a good width, but ... I dunno ... it doesn't speak to me. When I look at it, I think "almost". But I don't want "almost."

By the way, I know that trying a half-wall pediment was your suggestion, justpetro. Thanks!

At this rate, this is going to take as long as the community lot! I'm toying with a deep blue wall and the Maxis fish behind the fish tank as a makeshift art piece, but I'll see about that. It might be TOO glaring. I had put the mike and speaker the wrong way in the music room, and had the Sim singing in full voice at the wall. That was NOT the desired effect! And that is why we play-test ...

Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 11:14 PM
Get some sleep Your lot is looking really good, and the color scheme is perfect.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 4:45 AM Last edited by gazania : 26th Aug 2017 at 10:21 AM.
I haven't forgotten about this lot, but I still have job-hunters, my daughter sometimes needs the machine for school, and someone is frequently on the machine where I have my game. Also, we had out-of-town guests last weekend. I can't exactly tell people who traveled hundreds of miles to see me, "Sorry. I want to play my game!"

I'm "QC-ing" the lot right now, looking for errant wallpapers, making sure any routing errors are now fixed, etc. I did find a few stray brick walls ... those are fixed. I opted NOT to put something on the front. Honestly, I have no idea what I would put. I'm still thinking of a name for this thing. Every time I think of one, when I Google, someplace else already took it in real life! Fortunately ... and I didn't plan this ... ALL of my CC and essential mods for the game came from here, so the terms of use SHOULD be easy to figure out. I see MTS has a new format re that? I have to figure out how to do it. I am kind of glad I didn't use a whole lot of CC on this lot now. I would also suggest Visitor Controller, but that is easy enough to cite, and as far as I know, the TOU policy is pretty easy on that one.

By the way, I'm so used to the Blender that I forgot that Sims can't normally change clothing on a lot without a booth or a mod (yes, I know there's a mod for that, but the Blender makes it pretty unnecessary.) Oops. I have to replace the locker with a booth.

And I think the game is mocking me. After having a whole lot of trouble with Mootilda's lights off/on mods and not being able to use them during the contest, I can use them with no problems in this test hood. Also, I have butterflies on several days during Spring and Summer, unlike in the contest, when I saw them on one day and one day only. It figures.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 8:59 AM
The uploader will find all your cc and the links to the MTS-ones. What you need to do is to check those links - some of them go to the creator's page rather than to the actual download (as I discovered with my last one). You need them to all go to the actual download.

For downloads from elsewhere, you also need to post a link going directly to the download and not only to the home page of the creator.

Re the mods - you are only going to recommend them, so just post the download links in your text.

Smiling about the butterflies - they did not appear when I built the Elliot lot, but, boy, did they fly around on the Evans one
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 10:09 PM Last edited by gazania : 26th Aug 2017 at 10:35 PM.
And the fireflies appeared again last night, for at least the fifth or sixth time.

*@#$!

Cleaned and orbed the lot. I've orbed this final version previously. No SocialDownloadTest anywhere, and it shouldn't have been there in the first place, and never was at any point. This lot was created in a vanilla hood that had NSL already in there, and no hug-bugged lots were in there in the first place at all ... not even scoured ones. I've orbed a couple of previous versions as well. I've checked the log files four times on different iterations of this lot as an ongoing QC. The ONLY Social markers are for the social worker, and I sure as hay-ell ain't touchin' those two files. They're SUPPOSED to be in there. I will orb it once more before submitting it for upload. That makes at least five orb-ings.

I used every possible current preventive measure this community has to offer. I went over and above repeatedly. References were cleaned as well before packaging for the final vanilla hood (no user-made Sims in there at all), and this lot was never played in the first place. You could eat off this lot's bathroom floor, for Pete's sake! I (figuratively) scoured it with a good (figurative) bleach solution on my (figurative) hands and knees!

Tested the crap out of it ... even gave the family another toddler (that was mean) and used the teleporter cat to select a child visiting the lot to make sure the FT table works on all sides. The mic is facing the right way. Finally. I don't see any blockages, other than the Sims habit of congregating in bathrooms from time to time. If that is a problem, perhaps EA can help there. I can't. If there are any errant walls, you shouldn't be seeing them easily in the lot ... they may be deep in the foundation or the dummy roof, but I haven't seen them there, either.

I used the toddler piano here, and originally put it in the download, but I'm a little stuck here. The needed tunes will NOT be in the lot package. They don't bundle with the lot. Should I simply include the link? Right now, there is the not-surprising inverted potty chair. Should I leave it in there as a placeholder? Should I include the mesh and a recolor and explain that in order to get it to work, you'll need the other files? But what use would the files in the lot download be, then, if you have to download the stuff anyway? I'm kind of stuck there. Common sense would imply to me that I would leave the spot blank, include a picture with the piano in there to show where it could go, and direct people to the download. No one wants their time wasted.

I have a name for the lot, It's kind of a silly one, but I've Googled, and it didn't turn up on the first three pages. There MIGHT be a real-life place with this name, or person with this first name, but even I can't go through every page on the off chance that this name is out there! I tried to pick a name with no direct cultural or gender inference AS FAR AS I KNOW. It's original source ... the original name from which it came .. has a nice meaning ... "light", I think. I would have to look it up. I named the Maxis Bear in front.

Next will be to put the lot in my good game, take out the toddler references, since I don't have the toddler mod in my good game, and put in some CC children's stuff; or at least stuff that children can use. The FT table is fine. I could take out the bouncy llamas, bouncers and rocking horses and THEN put the mini-trampolines in the middle. That would make sense, rather than have them against a wall. Put in the Castaways-extracted drum in the music room, since kids can play at least one of them, I think. I would have to check that. The stuff in the showcase can actually stay there as ornaments. The rocking horses will revert back to bouncy llamas .. not a huge deal, since they would be decorative. Put in the Solfal climbing wall I like so much outside in place of the bouncy llamas, and behold! A CHILDREN'S center. I could even put the dress-up trunks in there. That would satisfy my need to see if this a versatile lot for those who don't want toddlers on there. I will not upload a children's version, though ... that is up to the downloader to change it. My challenge will be ... can Simmers easily turn this into a children's center instead if they don't have the toddler mod? I can't see why not. The worst they'll see are a few odd potty chairs and bouncy llamas. I've already tried the lot without the CC in there, and this is what I see. There are no flashies (kind of alarming if you're a new player, so I'd like to avoid that) and more importantly, the lot doesn't crash.

Once I see how it looks in my good game as a children's center and see what to do about the piano, I might run a test or two on the toddler-mod game, then try to think of some snappy patter and figure the MTS upload system. Submit the lot to the mods to see if I missed something. If they flatly reject it, fine. I've learned even more about lot-building here! But it's worth a shot!

And joandsarah77 ... since I'm already at my CC limit (no more than eight CC mods/items), I did not put the bouncer in my game, though it's cute as can be! That's going in my good game for sure! I had to pass on SO many cool toddler toys. Even Solfal has a bunch of them (though some are NPCs, so players would need to be cautious). On other sites, I had to reluctantly pass on a robot logic toy, a flying saucer toy and a fairy dollhouse, as well as the garage here. I already have the garage (as well as a mushroom xylophone), have already put the three other items in my good game, and am looking at Solfal's stuff on TSR with great interest. I never, never knew were so many cool toddler things out there! My Downloads folder is NOT going to like me!

Mad Poster
#22 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 10:26 PM
I am sure that lot is as clean as it can be by now

The toddler piano: just tell downloaders that they will need to download all the necessary files (be specific) before downloading the lot and give them the link; you can still upload the piano then.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 26th Aug 2017 at 10:33 PM
And can I please say, check links in the Wizard and fix them there. Anything you fix will stay fixed.

Anything that does not packed correctly needs to be given as a separate link and say X is needed. Everything needs to be shown as a separate link anyway as 1 its a credit, 2 some people have issues with cc showing up when it comes with a lot and 3 not everyone wants to grab cc via a lot.

Some reasons for not wanting to grab cc with a lot include preferring to go to the actual upload. They may want to view it to see if they want it. They may want to read about it or they may also want to thank the other creator -something some people seem to forget is the creator of an item uploaded in a lot may miss out on thanks.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#24 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 9:50 AM Last edited by gazania : 27th Aug 2017 at 10:09 AM.
I'm pleased to see that this can work as a child-oriented lot instead of a toddler lot in one of my good game's test hoods. The music area is a little small, but I could fit in a one-tile keyboard and the maxis mic. It could also work as a logic-based area, too. There are some wonderful CC puzzles that children can play with, and of course, there are the Maxis chessboards. If chess isn't your thing (I never got into it myself), there are always the Clue, Trivial Pursuit and Candyland tabletop boards.

And aside from the final orb-ing and Sim reference cleaning, I think I've done enough of that as well. I've tested this lot in a game under different scenarios, including a non-NSL game. Enough.

A few more tests in the toddler hood, and I think I'm as ready as I can be. I will direct people to the toddler piano link here, and perhaps show a picture of the room with the piano in it. No backwards potty chair! As for the other downloads, I think my best bet would be to look at the lot download section here and maybe download a lot by a more-established creator (preferably one uploaded in the last six months) to see what the creator put in the file and how CC was handled. There were a couple I've had my eyes on even without this lot. Oh, and read lots and lots of lot descriptions to see what should be there as well.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 11:54 PM
When last we left this lot, my good game was having problems. I'm pretty much chalking it up to two battling mods. I downloaded the wrong version of a mod, and it repeated the functions of another mod I already had in my game. Things flashed pink, certain Sims were horribly glitched to the point where I couldn't play them, and my lots took a long time to load. Both these mods had to do with memories, so I'm thinking having both at the same time might have hastened corruption. Did they cause it? I have no proof. But whatever the situation, it was pretty scary!

I deleted my previous post because I did what I wrote I would do ... go back to my last good copy after putting in the correct mod and testing every household in the previously-affected hood with my lot in the game. i needed to make 100% that it wasn't my lot that caused the problems. It was time-consuming, but aside from some annoying but fixable quirks in a few households (all which I believe were due to things I did and NOT the mods or the lot). each household appeared OK if I had the lot in my hood. I did not test my Pleasantview yet, but I'm not as worried about that hood. I had not played that since early July. However, I put in the copy from my last good backup (8/18), just in case. I would, however, test a few households there, just in case. I don't think I need to test every single one this time!

Also, I deleted my previous post because double-posting is bad enough (and sorry about that). Triple-posting is worse!

I have an annoying situation with my lot, though. NOT a corrupting one ... just annoying. If you look at my last picture, I have black windows in front. Black. I know when I created the lot, I put black windows in there. Look under the Insomniac spoiler. You see BLACK windows, right? I'm not seeing things?

I packaged the lot in a virgin vanilla hood. There are no user-mades there. When I download the hood in my other testing game ... the one that has only the hood, the lot and the testing family, the front windows are black. Peachy! But when I put the lot in my good game, the front windows are red. You can fix them easily, of course. But it's driving me to utter distraction! I'm not sure I can submit a lot that has windows that can do this. I made absolutely, positively sure the windows were black when I packaged it. All the other windows look fine. it takes less than a minute to fix the five windows affected. But my question is ... why is this happening? Is this a glitch with that particular window?

Now when I created the lot, I did not have CEP in the hood. I added that later. But one Maxis recolor ... not CC, but Maxis ... IS the black version.

If I am to submit this, whatever the outcome, I want to get on with it. This is a little annoying. I'll see if I can't put in the picture in my good hood to show the situation. And P.S. ... I don't mind the red windows. I just want the lot to show as pictured in whatever snappy patter I've yet to write.

Page 1 of 2