Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 1:11 AM
Default Messed up Normals?
Hello all,

I'm trying to edit a hair mesh for the first time ever but I've run into a problem... I edited the mesh in Blender and reimported it back into Milkshape, only to find that the mesh now has what seems to be a bunch of flipped normals (at least I think that's what's wrong).
Any ideas on how I can fix this? Any input would be greatly appreciated~

Thank you for reading ^-^
Screenshots
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 11:18 AM
Start by switching the view to flat shaded - that'll allow you to see more precisely where the problems are.

Do you have autosmooth turned on in Milkshape? I don't know what autosmooth does to hairs but it won't be good! Turn it off if so and reimport the Blender mesh.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
#3 Old 12th Aug 2017 at 4:52 PM
While in Blender you can check the normals on any new faces you've added by switching to 'Textured' Draw Type, if they're not correct or you're not sure select them and use the Mesh - Normals - Recalculate Outside (Ctrl - N) for an instant fix. It is amazing just how well Blender sorts out which face should be inside and which should be outside.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 7:40 PM
Thank you so much everyone! It turns out, my problem was when I imported the SMD file into Blender, I didn't check on the box that says "Preserve SMD Polygons". You need to make sure that box is checked when you import an SMD or it messes up the normals!~ Once again thank you both for answering and helping me out ^_^