Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 12:23 AM Last edited by SBNao1 : 23rd Aug 2017 at 4:28 AM.
Default Blue Butterly Manor
Hello all! I'd like some feedback and possibly testing on a lot that I believe is ready to upload to the site. I used the following expansions on it to try to cut back on the amount of content in the game: Pets, Seasons, Supernatural, World Adventures, Generations and University Life. I don't have any CC in it and I tried desperately to keep store content out. One of the problems I found was that some of my store content didn't show up as such while I was creating this home, so that's one of the things I would appreciate a heads up on so if I need to remove anything I can. I also used moveobjects on a bit so I'd like to make sure that other people aren't having problems with their Sims accessing things that they need to in the lot. The lot with furniture is $207.800 without is $97,841. There are three bedrooms in the main home, a fourth in the basement that can either be another kid/roommate/butler. Four bathrooms altogether. Kitchen, dining room, pool area in the back with a teeny tiny grill area and a garden area already set up with some plants from the game. I'm still working on putting together some better screenshots, but I'm submitting some of the preliminary ones here. Let me know if there's anything I can do to improve upon the lot or any feedback you may have. Thank you!
**Edit** This is a 40x40 lot and I built it in Appaloosa Plains where there was plenty of room, so if you're willing to download to help test for store content and playability, you'll need a little space in your neighborhood.

**Second Edit ** Updated with new lot.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Blue Butterfly Manor.7z (2.88 MB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 10:23 PM
Nice build! I like it! I would add some dirt under the trees and bushes. Especially up the front walk. Usually shrubs manicured that well are in dirt or a planter. You need a sidewalk from the garage door in back to the terrance. I think the basement layout is a bit awkward. (?)

One thing I would do if my build is the back bedroom is pretty narrow and the bath huge. It is even bigger than the master bath. If me, I would give that back bedroom the extra tile wide and have the bathroom as one less tile wide?

Maybe give the living room a fireplace on the side outside wall? Most houses with one fireplace have it in the living room instead of the dining room. Having both would be great for the winter and you can focus the furniture arrangement to the fireplace and what I am guessing is a TV on the wall? L shaped sofas maybe?

I like what you have done a lot. I really like the blue. Well done!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 11:28 PM
Thanks! I had already noticed that I'd missed the dirt under the trees so that's been added - thanks for the reminder though.

I'll add a walk in the back, probably experiment with the terrain paint i used for the front. And I had some problems with the two upstairs bedrooms and that bath and trying to make everything even, but I'll play with that some more as well as try adding a fireplace in the living room.

Not really sure what to do with rhe basement though, those rooms are never really easy to arrange...

Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Nice build! I like it! I would add some dirt under the trees and bushes. Especially up the front walk. Usually shrubs manicured that well are in dirt or a planter. You need a sidewalk from the garage door in back to the terrance. I think the basement layout is a bit awkward. (?)

One thing I would do if my build is the back bedroom is pretty narrow and the bath huge. It is even bigger than the master bath. If me, I would give that back bedroom the extra tile wide and have the bathroom as one less tile wide?

Maybe give the living room a fireplace on the side outside wall? Most houses with one fireplace have it in the living room instead of the dining room. Having both would be great for the winter and you can focus the furniture arrangement to the fireplace and what I am guessing is a TV on the wall? L shaped sofas maybe?

I like what you have done a lot. I really like the blue. Well done!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 12:02 AM Last edited by daisylee : 21st Aug 2017 at 12:21 AM.
Let me look at the basement more. It is hard to see the stairs from the upstairs but let me look.

OK, I am back. Basically my motto is simple is best most often. You have plenty of room getting rid of the space on the one side of the stairs. Set the proportions of the other rooms as wanted. Bath, laundry, bedroom, and rec area. Add an arch if wanted?

https://goo.gl/photos/wvcNPsvA4iGNMEPr7
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 4:44 AM Last edited by SBNao1 : 21st Aug 2017 at 5:00 AM.
So I went back to the house and made some changes. I just used the tile from around the pool to add a walkway from the garage door to the back terrace. I also added plants on the sides just for deco. I went into the basement and changed the layout, looking at the suggestion that you gave. I had to play with the game a bit to get it to delete the basement a bit but I got the extra space deleted. I also played with the upstairs bathroom and took away one tile from it to add to the older child's bedroom - if I take to add to both then there's no bathroom left and it's just madness. It meant I had to change the bathroom layout and I took out the counters and went down to a single sink layout but I think it works out. Also added a fireplace to the living room and swapped the couches to face it and put the tv over the fireplace; added smoke detectors to the living room and dining room just in case. We know how often the lack can mean disaster. I don't think there's much room in that space to play with other couch configurations but I do think it still looks ok and the fireplace does add charm to the room. It did also remind me to add a bed for the pet in an "out of the way" place in the back hallway in case the TV is on so they have another option besides the outside pethouse to sleep in. The other picture I'm including is a screen shot that has the front of the house with added mulch under the plants. This is before I added the fireplace so I need to take another shot, but it's just to show I'd started adding that in. And some of these have the grid because I took pictures while I was still editing, but I wanted to show what I was doing as I was making adjustments.
**Edit** And I went back in to add a rug to that back bedroom and realized that the fabric used on the older child's bed IS CC so I removed it and put in one from the game. I hadn't realized that I'd used a CC fabric and thought I'd been careful not to.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 5:20 PM
I think it looks great! The extra space in the one bedroom is nice to have and the overall balance of the rooms on that floor looks better, love the fireplace in the living room, the outside looks good, and I think the basement looks less choppy.

Nice house! Well done!
Alchemist
#7 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 6:08 PM
@SBNao1 Thanks for the brighter pictures.
If you want to build CC or EP/SP free, you can disable CC, and with version 1.69 select the EPs/SPs you want to use via the start menu.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#8 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 6:45 PM Last edited by SBNao1 : 21st Aug 2017 at 7:00 PM.
Thank you @daisylee! And @Johnny_Bravo how do you disable CC? I knew about the EP and SP selector. That was handy when making this house.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 11:49 PM
Sent a reply to your PM. I am 1.67 and use packages. So I can just pull out my packages, but also it is easy to just generate a clean game by renaming your game and do your project there or check there.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 2:58 AM
@daisylee I got the pm, thank you. I have mostly packages but some assorted packs I believe here and there...getting them all out would likely be a nightmare. I did build in a separate game than my normal one though and am keeping them aparate with renames and copies for testing if need be.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 3:24 AM
Sounds like a good plan to me.
Alchemist
#12 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 2:22 PM
@SBNao1 Under 'installed materials' (I think, my game is Dutch) there's a box which says 'Run game without CC/creations'. Just tick it and you're fine

#13 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 4:23 PM
@Johnny_Bravo I have never seen that option. I will have to check and see if it's available in the American version.
Instructor
#14 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 8:42 PM Last edited by Crowkeeper : 22nd Aug 2017 at 8:52 PM.
Hello
I installed your house and I really like all the flowers around the frond yard. It looks even better now with the added terrain painting The interior is also nice. I wasnt very sure about the black curtains but I see that you already changed that
What I am concerned about is the roof here:

I would suggest trying to find a different "roof solution" for this spot. Maybe something like this could work for you?

Another thing which could be worked on are the wallpapers. I would suggest dividing the different sections with some wallpaper set. Here is an example of what I mean:
Screenshots

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 8:42 PM
Be sure to save as or use a different world to not delete all from your game you play where you want your cc?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 9:06 PM Last edited by SBNao1 : 23rd Aug 2017 at 4:32 AM.
@Crowkeeper I can see what you mean about the roof over the porch. The wallpaper change looks nice too. I am so far away from home and my computer now - phone browsers are awesome and a tease simultaneously. I'll have to play later when I'm home and get changes in. As well as make another backup before checking that CC exclusion button. Been popping in on breaks today and still so far away from actually being able to do any Simming. Darn this adulting thing!

**Edit** @Crowkeeper I played with the roof. The roof tool in Sims 3 is the bane of my existence and I hate it with a passion and always will. I did change it and think the change came out nicely, however. I took your suggestion on the wallpaper/siding. Had to change the one on the entire exterior to use the one with the white piping. @Johhny_Bravo I got the CC tool in my interface and boy, did it make a difference, thank you! Two objects that weren't showing up as CC got booted out of the house and I had to swap them out.

So I've updated, found a couple other minor errors and have the house re uploaded the original post with what I think should be the final version unless anyone else has anything helpful to add before I submit to the site for submission.

In advance, thank you everyone for your help!! You're all the best!
Screenshots
Alchemist
#17 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 8:35 PM
Quote:
I got the CC tool in my interface and boy, did it make a difference, thank you! Two objects that weren't showing up as CC got booted out of the house and I had to swap them out.

@SBNao1 Yes, the game will automatically replace those items, they should show up again when activating CC again. I've never disabled my CC so I can't tell for sure though.

#18 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 11:19 PM
@Johnny_Bravo the game warns you just not to save a game w/CC when disabling that option. Otherwise everything seems fine. Lots uploaded now with all my changes and CC check. Fingers crossed!