Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 12:45 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Aug 2017 at 1:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
So..you would not like the way I name my clothing. My name is at the end, and the names are long. Though I never thought I would share my creations, so I named them for my own use..
FemaleAdultBody-PatchworkSkirtJeanJacket_By_Rosie.package
MESH_FemaleAdultBody-PatchworkSkirtJeanJacket_By_Rosie.package
Oh..and tooltip in Bodyshop..good point! I should do this..though now, I don't know if I can add them
I found how to add them
@simmer22

The "name first" thing is not a must for me, but I do prefer if "_mesh" comes last (paricularly for objects), so the files sort together. The worst is if a set doesn't have any name to describe them, just the name of the color or item (like "Green" and "box", or "Green-Box" and "mesh-Box" for the mesh and recolors). You can always do a search for "mesh" or "*mesh" while looking through folders, but I prefer not having to, particularly if the mesh belongs to a set.

Now I usually name my files something like "Theraven_NameOfSet-NameOfItem_MESH" and "Theraven_NameOfSet-NameOfItem_REC-NameOfColorOrPattern" - that way they sort together nicely if I put them in a folder with other files, and they're usually easy to find or search for. Previously I didn't name my files like this, often not having my name there, or having "MESH" first in the filename, sometimes making it hard for me to recognize them or to find all the files if they were mixed up. I've also had to rename a ton of files because I first used [Theraven], before I read that brackets were bad characters to use.

Tooltips can be added when in Bodyshop, by writing something in the line under the categories. You can also add tooltips in the "category description" resource in SimPe, by changing the text in the text box to the left. If this is greyed out, you can click "add" and you'll be able to write. There are also some programs that lets you add tooltips, like this one: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=321239 (I love this - it has made sorting through old CAS items way easier!)
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 2:35 PM
So many things on the thread that I agree with--like the empty and decorated lot thing. I really appreciate that cuz 9 times out of 10 I'm going to redecorate or even redo some walls. I don't even decorate my own apartment lots anymore--I just use some basic paint, carpet, and tile to designate bedrooms or bathrooms and place a few cheap items down as an idea of what kind of furniture placement I was thinking of when I built the thing.

But I had some more:

I love when creators tell you if their files are repositories and even better, I love when they give you an option to download things either repositories or standalone, like on DeeDeeSims' Tumblr. Sometimes I don't want all ages to have the same color clothes or I don't want an outfit for a certain age group. I don't know how many times I deleted something in game only to find out it was texture referenced and borked the whole set or other age groups' items.

And I love creators who let their meshes be included in other downloads and recolors! Nothing worse than having to hunt for a mesh, especially if it's from a creator who isn't active anymore. But also love to creators who tell you the exact file name you need when they can't include it--especially if the place being linked to has multiple meshes on the page.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#28 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 3:16 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Aug 2017 at 4:04 PM.
Phantomknight, it is possible to make a reference file for textures, to use with repositoried CAS files (doesn't work for objects). In SimPE, you extract all the TXTR resources (right-click/extract the resource - NOT the texture itself) from the master files and then import them into a new file, and put this in your game along with the repositoried files. That way you don't have to redo any files, and you can keep the ages you want. Not sure how this file would behave if you try to delete the outfits from ingame, so probably a good idea not to.

The easiest way to see if a file is repositoried is to check the file size. If a clothing recolor is below 10 KB, it's almost guaranteed to be repositoried.

Also, it's always better to delete from your DL folder rather than from the game, because the risk of breaking something in your game is smaller. If the name of a CAS file is unclear, run your files through the Tooltip tool, and you'll be able to find them without any difficulty.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 4:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The "name first" thing is not a must for me, but I do prefer if "_mesh" comes last (paricularly for objects), so the files sort together.

Right..I'll rename my meshes. For now, all the clothing I create sits in the same one folder, and while recolors come up first in the list, meshes are all the way down. Putting the name mesh last, will make all my files together.
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I'd shorten that to:

AFpatchworkskirtRosie
MESHAFpatchworkskirtRosie

I could not..this is the version with a jeanjacket on, I have a version without too. So jeanjacket part must stay. lol

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Alchemist
#30 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 5:22 PM
I'd also separate the words with dashes if you upload them. As it is now, if someone was trying to find the file in their downloads, and they typed "patchwork" into the search box the file wouldn't come up because it's sandwiched into a long name.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 5:37 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Aug 2017 at 6:08 PM.
For folders, you can use a * in front of the searchword to get all files with the word in it. If you're searching for green and there's a file named boxgreen, you won't find it - but if you search *green you will usually find it.

A good reason to skip spaces is that if you name something like "box - Green" or "Box -green" then searching for the exact phrase might lead the search tool to think you want to exclude the word "green" since " -word" (with a space in front of the hyphen) means "exclude this word from the search". If the hyphen is there with no spaces, the search usually manages just fine.

But yeah, underscores and hyphens help a lot.
---
Shorten names wherever you can. "AdultFemale" takes up a whole lot more space than "AF", and most simmers by now understand what "AF" stands for.

Ideal naming for me would be:
Rosie_PatchworkSkirtJeanJacket-AF_REC-Colorname (or "AF_colorname" without the REC)
Rosie_PatchworkSkirtJeanJacket-AF_MESH

This way you can make conversions named EF/TF/CF, and they'll still sort properly.

I've found this naming method ideal in most cases, at least for my own files. It sorts all files by creator, then by set, then by item, then by age/gender, then if the file is a recolor or mesh, and finally by recolor name - and at the same it time keeps the name short enough. It means you can fill a single folder with files and still find all of the files that belong together in one spot without subfoldering everything.

The reason I personally prefer putting in REC is that the mesh usually sorts on top instead of in the middle of all the other files, and since I'm one of those who make 30-40 recolors while I'm at it, I prefer if the mesh files jump to the top or bottom of the set, but still sorts with the recolors they belong to. RC- or just R- would also work fine.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 5:38 PM Last edited by gazania : 24th Aug 2017 at 11:10 PM.
1. I have no problems with houses with CC, as long as it's a short list, and the CC is not so essential to the house that I can't work around it. I don't mind a bare wall, a small number of vases or sofas. or flashy stuff if it's something I can fix in ten minutes with Maxis stuff or my own CC. But if the entire house looks like it's flooded with flashing sections and misplaced clunky Maxis items, or worse, if my lot crashes, that's a problem for me. Twelve CC items or mods is max for me. Any more, and I get glassy-eyed. And I cringe when I see a lot that is a couple of years old with links going to another site that I'm not sure is still around. I've had crapware or crapware scares when I hit the link and, unknown to me, the original site disappeared and something noxious is now at that URL.

I like when creators check the links periodically to make sure they still work (or I can read a comment from someone ... whether the lot-builder or a downloader ... who mentions that a link does not work and provides the missing download), CC should be optional only ... not such a part of the lot that you cannot replace things quickly. And I prefer to download lots that don't have two Word documents' pages (single-space) full of CC links. I have made such lots in my own private game, but would not share them for that reason. A huge exception: If people have repeatedly clamored for a creator to upload a CC-heavy lot, and people know in advance that the lot is CC-heavy.

2. Really wobbly or misaligned bra or spaghetti-strap tops or hair meshes with huge bald spots in them can be annoying. I'm reluctant to write this because I can't mesh or create clothes and hair to save my life. But that would be why I wouldn't upload my stuff until I got better. I appreciate a creator who points out the flaws, though, and lets me decide whether they're major enough to worry about. Many are not.

I like aligned straps and hair meshes with minor flaws only, and hairstyles that uniformly look nice. If there are flaws on clothes and hairstyles, they are not that noticeable.

3. A long list of file names with abcedgfos11123123 or like alpha-numeric characters in them, or a bunch of numbers with no swatches ... arrggh! Sometimes, I like playing guessing games, and it's a little fun if I like all the patterns, but for the sake of my download folder, I plan to choose three at random. But if it's nineteen CC items that I really don't want in my game, and I want only one of them, it can be annoying.

I like when the creator at least gives me a clue which pattern I'm downloading ... at least provides a swatch with the name of the file underneath. It's not a big problem if it's only five or so items. But if you have twenty or more ...

4. You see something that you like in a huge group of files. I appreciate lots of goodies ... really ... and I don't wish to sound ungrateful. But when it's in a 50 MB file full of content, and I want only the one file and its mesh, and worse yet, there may be, let's say, a bunch of skirt meshes and recolors and I'm really not sure which one is which, I admit to a little grumbling.

I like when larger (25MB+) file sizes are broken up more if there are multiple items, and the creator mentions which mesh goes with which item. Another huge exception: If someone is simply providing files belonging to a defunct site. Pics are helpful in that case, though.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I'd also separate the words with dashes if you upload them. As it is now, if someone was trying to find the file in their downloads, and they typed "patchwork" into the search box the file wouldn't come up because it's sandwiched into a long name.

Not on my computer. Searching for patchwork, works.
Thanks simmer22, I might try that naming method. I understand that while it is to my liking's and clear to me what is what, if I am going to share them...compromises might happen.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#34 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 6:10 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Aug 2017 at 6:35 PM.
Searching for files with your original naming works because the names are separated with hyphens. I think Omglo was referring to Charity's post ("AFpatchworkskirtRosie" and "MESHAFpatchworkskirtRosie")
Field Researcher
#35 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 7:06 PM
I really appreciate when creators name their previews pictures the same thing as their files. E.g. the files all have ABC_recolour at the beginning, and the preview pic is called ABC_recolour_preview. So instead of having heaps of preview.jpg's floating around, they get to sit with the rest of their family of files.

It's exactly the same as Simmer22 was saying about naming mesh files -- ABC_recolour_MESH rather than MESH_ABC_recolour. Same with readme's. Downloading more than 1 mod from Pescado at a time is frustrating because all the readme's are called, well, readme and they all want to overwrite each other.
When I know a creator names their meshes & previews this way, I don't have to worry about using subfolders when extracting the CC and then going and renaming things and it makes me a happy bunny.

I also love cleverly/creatively named CC! Shastakiss sticks out in my mind for this, her names often make me smile.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#36 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 9:04 PM
So..you would not like the way I name my clothing. My name is at the end, and the names are long. Though I never thought I would share my creations, so I named them for my own use..
FemaleAdultBody-PatchworkSkirtJeanJacket_By_Rosie.package
MESH_FemaleAdultBody-PatchworkSkirtJeanJacket_By_Rosie.package
Oh..and tooltip in Bodyshop..good point! I should do this..though now, I don't know if I can add them
I found how to add them
@simmer22

The advantage of putting your name first is all your files end up together if you sort alphabetically. It makes it easier to see sets, for instance.

My personal thing is I like anything that changes gameplay.

I like pretty stuff too but that's not a requirement.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#37 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Searching for files with your original naming works because the names are separated with hyphens. I think Omglo was referring to Charity's post ("AFpatchworkskirtRosie" and "MESHAFpatchworkskirtRosie")
Yes, I was.

And thanks for the tip about the asterisks. That will make searching easier in the future.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 12:58 AM
Right..I'll rename my meshes. For now, all the clothing I create sits in the same one folder, and while recolors come up first in the list, meshes are all the way down. Putting the name mesh last, will make all my files together.
Just adding that people's preferences in naming conventions vary a whole lot. I don't name my files anything like simmer22 names hers, for example, so the changes you plan on making wouldn't make any difference for me. Nothing is going to work for everybody. Including your name is good though. I rename just about every file I download and always try to include the creator's name. It really helps if it's already there.
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 2:37 AM
I appreciate any hair creator who makes their hair Maxis-style rather than that too-shiny, too-piecey, too-IMVU-y hair most people seem to like to do.
I also appreciate when objects are the correct size. I have downloaded too many things only to find that I can't actually USE them cause they're too big.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Instructor
#40 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 3:11 AM
Well-documented readme. I don't think I haven't seen any good readme included in archive. Maybe because I took residence in Nexus Mods for nearly a decade and used to readme files.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 3:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by StrangeTownChick
I appreciate any hair creator who makes their hair Maxis-style rather than that too-shiny, too-piecey, too-IMVU-y hair most people seem to like to do.

THIS!!!! I love, love, love when creators try to stick to the Maxis-style, same can be said for the humour and creativity put into writing descriptions for objects. It makes it fit into the game more.

And you may ask yourself, "Am I right? Am I wrong?"
And you may say to yourself, "My God! What have I done?"
Mad Poster
#42 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 6:32 AM
I prefer mesh to be at the front so it's easy to spot. All my meshes sort together.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 6:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I prefer mesh to be at the front so it's easy to spot. All my meshes sort together.

dang..I just renamed everything...lol

Lab Assistant
#44 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 7:08 AM
There's a lot of praise for the more technical side of CC such as folder names, read-me's and object descriptions, but I actually genuinely love and value the content that is culturally and ethnically inclusive. I love downloading hair for my sims that resembles 3c and 4c hair types and styles that are fashionable and make sense! I love seeing makeup made special for darker complexions. I love seeing clothing and foods available for anybody to add to their game that closer reflect the world's many, varied cultures and their day-to-day outfits and meals. I LOVE that CC allows me to make hijabi sims. It's important, it's so enriching, and helps supplement the game in the ways it's lacking. Sincerely, thanks to all the wonderful people out there representing cultures and identity in its many forms, and integrating it into The Sims 2. It's one of my favorite aspects of life, as well as in game.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 7:18 AM
I have an "All Meshes Here" folder for clothes and hair, because I never download anything without a mesh, and I don't want a bunch of duplicates.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#46 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 10:10 AM
I tried that but then found I couldn't figure out what went with what. My folders are a lot more organised now. XD

You don't download any clothing that doesn't have a mesh? No Maxis recolours?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#47 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 11:04 AM
Other things I appreciate:

- A way to configure the more complex mods either an in-game config menu or changi SimPE that helps tgat changes To help the modifiying things documentation that I appreciate.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#48 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 12:57 PM
What I really appreciate is when a hair creator makes an effort to adapt their hair to different ages. Nook does this, for instance. A grown woman hair style might not fit a toddler or a child, and simply scaling it down to fit a smaller head does not make it appealing. So when i download hair, if it says all ages...I'm wary.

Mad Poster
#49 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 8:17 PM
IMVU!! OMG. Sorry, off topic, but I had forgotten that site even existed. My teenhood. Ow.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#50 Old 23rd Aug 2017 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Other things I appreciate:

- A way to configure the more complex mods either an in-game config menu or changi SimPE that helps tgat changes To help the modifiying things documentation that I appreciate.

Next time I shouldn't post when half-asleep, I think.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Page 2 of 5