Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

2018 MTS Calendar Contest - posted on 12th Nov 2017 at 8:48 PM
Replies: 24 (Who?), Viewed: 1746 times.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 12:07 AM Last edited by nitromon : 31st Aug 2017 at 6:02 AM.
Default Combined Residential and Community Lot.
I'm still testing it, but so far... so good. It seems to be working. And the concept is actually so easy, I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier.

It has been asked before if it is possible to create a lot that is a combined residential and community, with the primary as residential. For example, an urban lot where you have stores on the bottom and apartments on the top. In TS2, there was some trick you can do and I've created some of these lots. When I converted them to TS3, I ran into a list of problems.

Here's the solution and it only requires 2 things.

1) markers
2) rabbitholes (rug or door)

-----

Markers:
First problem I run into is NPCs cannot come on the lot b/c they're residential. I ran into this problem when I put a food register in a dorm and the NPC just waits outside the door to be invited. It is so simple, I can't believe I missed it. Simple designate "public markers" on public areas and make sure they're accessible from the outside. All area marked "public" are accessible by NPCs and non-residential sims. Yup that's it.

Rabbitholes:
The 2nd problem is of course, residential lots do not generate NPCs, visitors, etc... That's taken care off by a rabbithole. Simply make one of your stores a rabbithole store such as a bookstore, spa, grocery, etc... and they will attract other sims to your lot. Just make sure you place the rabbithole in a public area, or likewise sims will not be able to use it unless they're invited onto your lot. The red maptag will show up after you go to edit town. You can create a high rise apartment, with a 7-11 downstairs on the ground level and get a job there. Then you can just take the elevator to work!

Issues:
First, I haven't fully tested this. I tested it on a base camp and it works. I tested it on a local residential townhouse apartment and it works! But that's the extent of the testing.

Now, some things may NOT work. The lot is still a residential lot. So mixcologists bars will work b/c the bars have been coded to work on a residential lot and NRAAS can assign a NPC. But, the java counter, to sell coffee, didn't seem to work. I assigned a NPC on there, but when I click it, it doesn't have any functions. Most things should work, but there will be a few that won't.

People who come to the rabbithole may or may not stay on the lot. But most of them do. However, they tend to show up during day and not night. So if you want a nightlife town scene, it may not work that well after 10 pm (maybe try the 24 hr diner?). Also, rabbitholes do not attract tourists, only residents. Under most circumstances this is not an issue, but for the cruise ship world, it still poses some challenges.

Sims on your lot behave like sims on residential lots, which means they're not specially programmed to look for certain activities. For example, java lots sims will look for computers and books, gym lots they will look for exercise equipment, etc... So I'm not sure if this is better or worse, but they will generally do whatever is on their mind. I've seen them use the treadmill, watch tv, order a drink from the bar, or even just gather and talk in groups. I guess it is good in the sense that they will do pretty much anything, but you cannot specifically push them to do one thing in a multi-functional area. But I would guess if your community section is designed as a bar and only has a bar, they will enjoy only that.

Summary:
And that's it! I haven't tested all the rabbitholes and stuff. Some have hours attached to them, so they only function from like 10 am to 8 pm, etc... diner rabbitholes should be 24-7, but even so, late at night I only saw 1 person show up. But mostly this should work for daytime.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 2:04 AM Last edited by Elynda : 31st Aug 2017 at 4:49 AM.
This sounds very promising. In my case, with my school, it works out rather neatly because the stairwell leading up to the the classrooms opens straight into the quadrangle through an arch, there's no actual door (I was going to close it off because I've had paparazzi wandering about up there). I just make the quad, the stairwell and one of the classrooms public areas, drop a rabbit hole into that classroom and my day girls will arrive and report straight to class. I was planning on using Zerbu's Ultimate Careers mod to designate which local children and teens will be day pupils, I just couldn't figure the rabbit hole part. Nice work!

EDIT Two small problems. Firstly, once I've placed those area markers I can't change anything since its now like an apartment lot. Sure there's a way around that, but I can't remember what it is. Also, it appears that using Zebus mod I can either have it as an elementary school or a high school, not both. Unless I place two rabbithole rugs. But I don't know if I can put them in the same room.

Simblr: Elyndaworld * Live Journal: Elandaer * Simblr: The Newcomb Saga
"Well, the way things are can go and eat a dick then!" - Lolita Scumthorpe
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 3:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elynda
Two small problems. Firstly, once I've placed those area markers I can't change anything since its now like an apartment lot. Sure there's a way around that, but I can't remember what it is. Also, it appears that using Zebus mod I can either have it as an elementary school or a high school, not both. Unless I place two rabbithole rugs. But I don't know if I can put them in the same room.

Yes, that's the one draw back, but it is ez to over come.

1) The simplest if you are just moving objects around and placing new objects is just using "moveobjects on"

2) If you are going to redecorate using build mode, changing wall pattern etc, you need to turn on testingcheats and then type in "restrictbuildbuyinbuildings false"

I highly recommend downloading that mod by Buzzler for shortcut cheats, so you only have to type "tse" for testing cheats and "rbb false" to turn this on.

As far as zerbu's career mod etc... I have no idea since I don't use those. BUT theoretically, you should be able to use both. The rabbitholes are independent of the lot type and function, so you can have both and designate them highschool and elementary. If you are using doors or rugs, you can even set different parts of your school for different students. But just in theory.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 4:55 AM
I can't seem to get it to work. Very briefly I had the school symbol visible over the building, but then I did something (not sure what) and it was gone again and I couldn't get it back. As for the Zerbu mod I couldn't figure out how to assign pupils, it only listed the kids who were already on the lot i.e. my boarders. Alternatively, rather than use that mod, I suppose I could use Master Controller to choose which kids attend the school. I shall work it out, eventually.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 5:00 AM Last edited by nitromon : 31st Aug 2017 at 6:39 AM.
Quote:
I can't seem to get it to work. Very briefly I had the school symbol visible over the building, but then I did something (not sure what) and it was gone again and I couldn't get it back. As for the Zerbu mod I couldn't figure out how to assign pupils, it only listed the kids who were already on the lot i.e. my boarders. Alternatively, rather than use that mod, I suppose I could use Master Controller to choose which kids attend the school. I shall work it out, eventually.

I'm not sure what do you mean? You mean you actually want the "red" school icon in map view?

The red maptag will show up after you go to edit town and back.

You can also try putting the door facing outside. Outside area do not need a public marker as they are public by default.
Screenshots

There. Mystery solved.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 6:40 AM
Yes, the red map tag. I had it showing for a while and now it doesn't. I opted for a simpler idea, placing the rug and the public room marker in the lobby on the ground floor. I thought I'd got it working, the child I assigned to the school turned up the next day, but she wouldn't go through the door, she had to be invited in and then told to go to school using Master Controller. Maybe using a rabbit hole door would be better.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 6:41 AM Last edited by nitromon : 31st Aug 2017 at 7:07 AM.
Quote:
Yes, the red map tag. I had it showing for a while and now it doesn't. I opted for a simpler idea, placing the rug and the public room marker in the lobby on the ground floor. I thought I'd got it working, the child I assigned to the school turned up the next day, but she wouldn't go through the door, she had to be invited in and then told to go to school using Master Controller. Maybe using a rabbit hole door would be better.

It shouldn't matter if it is a rug or a door. You can see from my sample screenshot, i have the door set from the inside of the garage, which uses a public marker. Do you mind taking a screenshot during build mode? Let me see where you put the marker.

Also, make sure you placed the correct public marker. In buystuff, I have 2 public markers. I don't know why. It should be the one without any ep icons.

There. Mystery solved.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 7:59 AM Last edited by Elynda : 31st Aug 2017 at 9:02 AM.
Well that's cleared up the mystery of the map tag, I was using the one from the EP. It's showing fine now.

My first notion was to place both rabbit hole rug and marker in this empty classroom on the first floor.

You can see the arch which opens into the courtyard. Visitors ought to be able to come around the building, go up the stairs and into the classroom.

Then I tried a simpler arrangement with the rug and the public room marker in the main hall, which as you can see has two doors, but the lower one is clearly designated as the front door. In both cases visitors congregated around the front entrance but would not enter, even when I marked the hall as public. I don't know where I'm going wrong here.

By the way, what is that box like thing that has appeared next to the letter box? That was never visible before.

EDIT: Yessss! I've just tested it by sending some kids from another household over and it seems to work fine now. I went with my first idea of putting the rug in the classroom, and they're doing just as I wanted them to do. It must have been using the wrong public area marker that was messing things up. So, finally, Fred's has it's day girls!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 10:34 AM
Quote:
EDIT: Yessss! I've just tested it by sending some kids from another household over and it seems to work fine now. I went with my first idea of putting the rug in the classroom, and they're doing just as I wanted them to do. It must have been using the wrong public area marker that was messing things up. So, finally, Fred's has it's day girls!

Cool! Everything is working now? I was thinking the front door thing might be an issue b/c public markers are meant for like late night type of TS3 residential apartments, which is where I've been doing all my testings, and they don't have front doors per say. But if you got it working, that's great! Please do share anything new you've discovered that is not covered yet as this is all still in the testing phase and we can help each other out.

That box is just some spawner or null device. It shows up b/c you are using buydebug. It is not important, don't worry about it.

There. Mystery solved.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 31st Aug 2017 at 2:53 PM
The the front door is not a problem now that I have the right marker. To test it I placed a diner rabbithole rug in the hall and sims passed it without difficulty. I aim to make other parts of the building public, such as the refectory and the library.

I'm getting all sorts of other ideas now; e.g. the medieval monastery of 'Simlica' I recently built. That is a residential lot, housing a small religious community, but I was looking for a way of making the church public, so that 'pilgrims' could visit it. Now that becomes possible - I'm excited!

And, yes, I shall keep experimenting and will certainly share anything I discover.

Forum Resident
#11 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 1:57 PM Last edited by Elynda : 1st Sep 2017 at 2:09 PM.
Double posting, I know, but I have an update on my experiments.

Sadly they have not been very successful. In fact utter chaos would be more apt.

First off: I created a family with 3 teens and 3 children and used Master Controller to assign all of them to the new school.

Next day the school bus rolled up, but none of them would get on it. Instead the three children hopped on their bikes and headed for the school. I had to order the teens to do it.

When they got to the school I found that every teen and child in Riverblossom Hills were congregated outside St Freds, route failing and throwing tantrums. This included all the girls from one of the neighbouring houses (the Hermitage) who I was sure were set to 'home schooled'. The only way I could get the teens into the school was to use 'open' in MC and click directly on the rabbithole rug. They went in by the route I'd intended. Meanwhile I was clicking on each of the others, re-assigning them to their proper school and trying to get them to go home, which they did, eventually - although more continued arriving.

One of the children managed to get into the building somehow - I didn't see how - but she later came out by the main entrance, got on her bike and headed home. The three teens actually got on the bus when it arrived, and when they reached home were all given a good ticking off for skipping school. The other two children got on their bus, which hung around for ages waiting for the one who had already left. All three's school performance was way down in the red.

At this point I decided their was no point in saving any of this mess so I just quit to the main menu.

All in all, not an auspicious start.

EDIT: I have to go to work right row, so sorting this mess out will have to wait till this evening.

dodgy builder
#12 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 2:02 PM
I have to test this. Perhaps I could make something for my world this way.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 2:35 PM
I still think it will work better if you design your school etc... with an "apartment" mentality. Instead of designating say the room with the rug as public, designate all rooms as public except those which you do not want nonhousehold members to go to.

One of the things I noticed about your previous screenshot which I wasn't sure was the stairwell. I think that stairwell requires a public marker b/c the bottom 1st floor uses an arch, which makes the stairwell enclosed. Actually, I'm 100% sure the 2nd floor of that stairwell requires a public marker as well. Remember, if you designate a room as public, but the way to get there from the outside needs to go through a private sector, the sims will not be able to get there. Every room leading to your rug must be marked as public no matter how big they are.

There. Mystery solved.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 1st Sep 2017 at 9:50 PM
Ah, I thought that might be it. Actually I did initially have a marker at the foot of the stairs and in the quadrangle, but since my first test worked without them I didn't bother to replace either them or the one I had in the hall. I'll try making the whole building public except for the dormitories and teachers' private studies. Meanwhile I've got to work out the mess described above: how to get everybody going to the right school.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 12:06 AM
I'm redesigning the cruise ship lot I made earlier and one part is a general store. I had a public marker outside the store and a public marker inside the store. However, to get to the general store register, the NPC has to go through a small office b/c I have the counters blocked off. Forgot to put 1 public marker in that small office and the NPC just stands on the edge of the lot idling. So it is very easy to miss one little location on your NPC's path.

There. Mystery solved.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 4:36 AM Last edited by Elynda : 2nd Sep 2017 at 4:53 AM.
The Freddian Experiment - day 2

I'm pretty sure I know what's lousing up the works now. Its that Zerbu Ultimate Careers mod. That's the reason every kid in town came crowding onto the lot! They did it again today, only this time since I'd marked the most of the ground floor as public they all went straight in. In fact they wandered about all over the place, regardless of whether I'd marked that area as public or not. Some made a bee line for the computers in the library, some went down to the dance studio and started using the barre. I remember now: that is the way that mod works - it doesn't use rabbit holes. The whole building is the school and they improve performance by interacting with stuff on the lot, such as the ballet barre. Its supposed to be used for community lots, but placing the markers literally let them in at the front door!

That's all well and good but I, of course, don't want the whole wretched town there, just the kids I enrol. That mod is going to have to go.

The result, by the way, of all these strangers bustling about on what is still, after all, a residential lot, is that all my residents got the 'rude guest' moodlet. I definitely don't want that every time!

The kid I'd selected for the experiment turned up on time, but she didn't go up to the rabbit hole, instead she went over to the junior's common room (not marked as public) and watched TV. But when I used Master Controller to tell her to go to school she crossed over the courtyard and made straight for the arch.

I even dressed her in the uniform. So, Sharla Ottomas, welcome to St. Fred's.

Note: by the way, I'm not criticising the Ultimate Careers mod here, it looks to be quite fascinating - its just not what I'm aiming at.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 6:17 AM Last edited by nitromon : 3rd Sep 2017 at 9:58 AM.
Yah, I read the NRAAS description of that mod. It is meant to eliminate rabbitholes and have sims actually do things on the lot. I'm not sure what that or the MC mod does to the school thing, but generally NPCs won't go to any room that doesn't have the public marker and thus they're not technically in your house so they are not guests persay. Also if somehow they are going to private areas, you can still lock the doors to "household only" to prevent NPCs from going in. But by default, only areas marked as public are accessible to NPCs.

After some testing. NPCs who uses the rabbithole in your resident becomes "guests" to your house. It means they can go into the private areas too. So you will have to use the door lock to "household only" to prevent them from entering your private residence.

There. Mystery solved.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 2:48 PM
The Freddian Experiment: day 3

Question: does this look right?

I know that when I have sim that's visible on the upper level, when I am looking at the ground floor, it means I've been messing with 'moveobjects' and the sim will need resetting. I'm just wondering if that might be a reason things aren't working.

And they're not! The next day, with the Ultimate Careers mod removed, nobody showed up - not even the sims I had enrolled.

So I decided to see what was happening at the other end, by playing the family I created earlier. Well, the school bus showed up on time, the three teens got on it - and then promptly got off again! When I tried ordering them to go to school I was informed that school wasn't in session. In the end, the only way I could get them to go was to 'open' my school lot and click directly on the mat - whereupon they all got on their bikes and went, following the route already discussed.

Interestingly, I had the kids 'meet new friends' whilst they were in there and presently one of them 'met' Sharla Ottomas, the kid I'd assigned the previous day, even though there was no sign of her arriving at the school.

When the three teens emerged, they all got onto the waiting bus and went home - no problem there. But when the children started coming out the game decided it was going to freeze, and stay frozen, so I had to shut it down.

I can't figure why my game has suddenly started freezing like that. I've had the problem before, but thought I'd long since cured it. I haven't installed any new mods recently, so unless it has to do with my experiments I'm completely stumped!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 3:39 PM Last edited by nitromon : 3rd Sep 2017 at 3:52 PM.
Yes, unfortunately, rabbithole doors and rugs won't disappear from upperfloors when you go to the first floor. So it is recommended you place them on the 1st floor or basement. I have some lots where I have them on the 2nd floor, but the space below it, I had it blacked out as a hidden room closet or something.

Unfortunately, I don't have much info to give on your more serious problem b/c I have never tried any of those custom school mods. In the example I posted earlier, that was just a regular school rabbithole door. I should mention that when I first placed it, none of the kids showed up. I had to delete the real school rabbithole building from the world first, then all the kids were automatically assigned to the rabbithole door and then they were showing up.

So far all the other rabbitholes I've tried seem to be working - diner, market, bookstore/spa. Because I converted several of my rabbithole buildings in Riverview into real buildings using rabbithole doors before, Now I have them converted into residentials with the rabbithole doors. I currently have 2 lots that act both as a residential apartment on one of the floor and community stores on the other floors.

Screenshots

There. Mystery solved.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 4:47 PM Last edited by Elynda : 3rd Sep 2017 at 10:10 PM.
I once built an apartment building that had a single flat above a laundromat. The laundromat was only intended for show, or for the resident sims to use, but since it was marked as public, other sims came in to use it. The only problem with it was that my sim was paying rent for the whole lot, including half a dozen washing machines and dryers! Unfortunately I no longer have that lot, but now I'm thinking I could have avoided that problem if I had used your idea of making it a residential lot, with public area markers.

As for the school, I am going to try, just as an experiment, eliminating the original school. That will probably mean everybody descending on my lot again, but I thought I might try assigning the ones I don't want to say, the Military Academy, or the Theatre school. I think those are available through the Nraas Master Controller School's or Careers modules.

Firstly though I'm going to have to see if this freezing problem is occurring in other saves and other worlds or just in the one I'm currently using. It is most annoying, I thought I was done with tracking downing rogue cc or outdated mods.

EDIT: Well, I've just been playing for several hours in other saves, with no freezes, so it sounds to me like its my messing around with things that has corrupted the one I've been working with. I think its my fault, for choosing to 'experiment' with a big busy lot that has 12 sims living on it in a town that was rather laggy to begin with. For story telling that's not a great problem, but for this project, probably not the best choice.

Instructor
#21 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 5:14 AM
Oh, this is interesting! I will definitely be pointing people in the direction of this thread on some of the lots I upload. I am going to play around with this technique as well. Seems like fun.
Theorist
#22 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 11:36 PM
Yeah this sets up some good possibilities....I wondered before why downloaded lots sometimes had loads of Public Room Markers in it. Probably for this reason.
Once or twice I added sims to a community lot with NRaas, but it's not the full answer....for example, trying to move families around in edit town becomes a difficult task.
I'll try this when I reinstall.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 12:18 AM Last edited by nitromon : 5th Sep 2017 at 12:41 AM.
Public marker is very important b/c it adjust the value of the lot when your sim try to buy. So both areas marked public and hidden will not count towards the overall cost of the property.

So far I've tested 2 lots with it. A couple of issues. Not biggies.

- Best use of this kind of lot is if you are playing the household living on it. If you are playing another household, NPCs will still come to this lot's rabbithole, you can still visit it, but.. it will be much more limited. This means that you should not replace the town community lots with this kind of lots, but instead make these lots an "addition" to your town. The rabbitholes will fully function, but remember the lot is still a residential. So if you build a gym, bar, market, etc... on the lot, NPC sims are not programmed to be pushed to these residential lots like a community lot. The will use the rabbithole and may or may not stay.

- Make sure the callbox and mailbox are located "indoors" on these lots, if you are planning not to play the household living on it. If the callbox/mailbox are located outdoors, then the lot will become "closed" unless you are invited in. When you zoom in, it will be transparent and the floor changer will be greyed out. One of my lot is an apartment with a market. I placed the callbox/mailbox in the public garage area, makes sense. But the area is not closed off so it is considered outdoors. If you do insist on putting them outdoor, this problem can be resolved if you have stairs. With the camera focused on your sims, click on the stairs and "use stairs." This will then open the lots. (If the callbox/mailbox is "indoors" this is not a problem at all)

- I'm not sure if I had this problem before, but I just discovered it now in these buildings. Apparently lights in public areas are set to off and you cannot click them while in living mode. Simply click on the lights in the household and set all to "automatic." If that doesn't seem to work, set all lights to "on" then individually set lights in your apartment to automatic "room by room." You only have to do this once.

- NPCs working registers on your lot are considered visitors, so their motives are no longer frozen. I found some of them sleeping on the park bench. I'm not 100% sure about this one, b/c sometimes their motives aren't frozen anyways, it has always been buggy. You can either ignore it or if you like, create like small dorms or rooms with beds for them to sleep in. You may be able to set the door lock specifically for them, I haven't tried it.

There. Mystery solved.
Theorist
#24 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 3:01 PM
Interesting thread! I've not tried experimenting with combo residential/community lots before. I'll have to keep this in mind. I have a sim who will own a greenhouse/gift shop but as of now that lot is separate; might be interesting to try it as a combo lot if I can pair it with the right RH rug.

The mention of how RH rugs and doors won't disappear on upper floor levels has also got me thinking about my theatre/movie studio commercial lot. I noticed that the RH rug & door were visible but mostly ignored it, but now I might see about redesigning that lot so that they are both in the basement level.

Receptacle Refugee ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Test Subject
#25 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 5:10 PM
Wow, how cool! Thanks! I think I'll try converting the bakery lot from the store into a combined bakery/diner rabbithole/NPC apartment and give this a whirl. I've always wanted to have a family of bakers living above their own bakery.