Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#26 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 11:18 PM
Noo, not "walk out of world" xD I haven't experienced it myself (fortunately), but I remember reading about it some time ago and was sooo creeped out and now I'm reminded of it once again :S xD

Glitches etc. can definitely be creepy. Many years ago the computer I played on was at its last breath graphic-wise, so playing too much in a row would eventually make these black lines and triangles emerging from stuff appear, and one time a baby's entire face went pitch black :/ Another time the sky went bright red.

The thing that has scared me the most, however, was once when an old sim came home from work and I shifted to him to make him go and make a phone call. But right then he was dying from old age, so I clicked him, saw the grim reaper in his queue for a split second and then the sim disappeared from the menu as he became unplayable. It was... quite the shock.

I am Error.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 11:39 PM
I wish. I miss that vibe from Sims 1, like the phone calls warning you not to open the door, and saying the end is near etc.
Theorist
#28 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I wish. I miss that vibe from Sims 1, like the phone calls warning you not to open the door, and saying the end is near etc.

Ha! I played Sims 1 with my mom when I was really small and those phone calls crept the hell out of me, especially since I couldn't read that well yet (you know that phase when you have learned to read but haven't quite gotten the hang of interpreting what you have read correctly?), I think there was also something about a monster principal who got angry when your kid got low grades?
And that freaking scary sound that played whenever something negative happened! It was intense
Forum Resident
#29 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 11:57 PM
I HATED the phone calls in the sims 1! I felt so paranoid I just let my sims burn their casserole and the whole house other than letting them meet their phone call future.
There was something about a clown painting too....but I can't remember.

At least sims 2 phone calls are more about magazine subscriptions and sassy neighbors telling you off. I think I can live with that.
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 12:04 AM
Before I started playing Sims 2 (was still on 1) I watched this fantastically-made horror machinima called Creature. In one scene, the mom of the family is lying in the bathtub, perfectly still, like they do, but with blood all around her, covering and filling the tub, and her dead face frozen in horror. To this day it gives me a little chill when my sims lie perfectly still in their bathtubs for a moment or two.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Theorist
#31 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kanzen
I HATED the phone calls in the sims 1! I felt so paranoid I just let my sims burn their casserole and the whole house other than letting them meet their phone call future.
There was something about a clown painting too....but I can't remember.

The clown painting summoned a clown creature or something when a certain condition was met. Irrc the clown could teleport and annoyed your Sims.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#32 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo

Meet Me In My Next Life
#33 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 12:40 AM
The only time my Sims seem scary to me is when they look at YOU directly into your computer Monitor / Screen, that creep me out at times. I think Maxis added that animation to scare the players.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#34 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 1:19 AM
I wonder though-is it really animation, or do they turn to make sure you're paying attention?

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Forum Resident
#35 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 1:28 AM
I believe sims ARE aware that someone can control them and that they can obey or not. If I direct a shy sim to go talk to another, they do this "what? me? why do I have to do it?" reaction and then fiddle their thumbs before they begrudgingly do it. If they do like what you directed them to do, they're more than happy to let you know about it too.

I'm not sure if that's adorable or creepy, but I'd like to be an optimist here =)))
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 5:09 AM
Oh God, I can't believe nobody mentioned the ''shadow baby'' bug. Typically a baby/toddler for some reason turns into a solid black, slenderman type creature. There's footage on YouTube. If that ever happens to me I swear I am smudging my whole house with sage and possibly encircling my computer tower with salt.

OR when time suddenly grinds to a halt and everything just...stops. Maids frozen, stooped over beds, mouths agape mid-sentence. Granted that was in a hood that was pretty durn screwy (what with everyone's family ties being severed at random and some Greco-Roman style incest occuring autonomously) but I won't ever forget that.

OR OR OR one time, I was using Strangetown for a test hood, and my sims would have tokens, memories, and OTHER SIMS in their inventories. I could pick up the ''personal wealth token'' and hang it on the wall.
Scholar
#37 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 6:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DameMika
Oh God, I can't believe nobody mentioned the ''shadow baby'' bug. Typically a baby/toddler for some reason turns into a solid black, slenderman type creature. There's footage on YouTube. If that ever happens to me I swear I am smudging my whole house with sage and possibly encircling my computer tower with salt.

I've had that with puppies, but never with toddlers.
Scholar
#38 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 10:06 AM
The one time Sims 2 has scared me is when I reinstalled once and forgot to put most of my mods back in. Opened a pie menu to find a screenful of the dreaded DEBUG-SUPER-DUPER-HUG, blocking out all built-in interactions. (They hadn't gone, but with 32 "missing" custom interactions in the pie menu, they were struggling to be noticed). I quit without saving and immediately made sure the mods, along with a mod that supresses the debug hug so it's not visible or usable if the mod that was using it doesn't exist (I think there are at least 3 mods that do that now, and at the time I had 2 with that effect, but that doesn't help if neither of them is in the active Downloads folder at the time of playing...).

I experienced "walk out of world" once too. Though that didn't scare me because I'd introduced the concept of space colonies into my storyline, so I assumed there was a spacecraft off-camera, ready to take my loser-of-too-many-fights to their new home on another planet.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 12:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Ha! I played Sims 1 with my mom when I was really small and those phone calls crept the hell out of me, especially since I couldn't read that well yet (you know that phase when you have learned to read but haven't quite gotten the hang of interpreting what you have read correctly?), I think there was also something about a monster principal who got angry when your kid got low grades?
And that freaking scary sound that played whenever something negative happened! It was intense

I miss those phone calls. The thing that always creeped out in sims 1, even though it was hilarious, was the grim reaper playing ding dong ditch in the middle of the night.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#40 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 12:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ieta_cassiopeia
The one time Sims 2 has scared me is when I reinstalled once and forgot to put most of my mods back in. Opened a pie menu to find a screenful of the dreaded DEBUG-SUPER-DUPER-HUG, blocking out all built-in interactions. (They hadn't gone, but with 32 "missing" custom interactions in the pie menu, they were struggling to be noticed). I quit without saving and immediately made sure the mods, along with a mod that supresses the debug hug so it's not visible or usable if the mod that was using it doesn't exist (I think there are at least 3 mods that do that now, and at the time I had 2 with that effect, but that doesn't help if neither of them is in the active Downloads folder at the time of playing...).

I experienced "walk out of world" once too. Though that didn't scare me because I'd introduced the concept of space colonies into my storyline, so I assumed there was a spacecraft off-camera, ready to take my loser-of-too-many-fights to their new home on another planet.

Hug bug also very not cool. But at the same time it's also really hilarious to witness. Some of the saving grace of the more dire glitches is the fact they're really funny. A classic babynapping by a visitor always gives me the giggles.

I am so validated by multiple people experiencing the "out of this world" bug. I think it was probably an intended thing initially, because in TS1 the loser in a fight would walk into the Gray Beyond and out of the game.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 1:28 PM Last edited by Shadow214 : 10th Jan 2018 at 3:28 PM.
I found the messages you get when the social worker takes away the children when all the adults have died creepy. The children get sent to a horrible,rundown and labor work camp of an orphanage. Thank goodness they can be adopted by other sim families.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 2:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shadow214
I found the messages you get when the social worker takes away the children when all the adults have died creepy. The children get sent to a horrible,rundown and labor work camp of an orphanages. Thank goodness that can be adopted by other sim families.

The harpsichord stinger that plays when the social worker arrives is frightening.

(Honestly, if I made a bullet point list of everything that scares me in this game, I would be convicted by how much of a fraidypuss I am.)
Theorist
#43 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
I miss those phone calls. The thing that always creeped out in sims 1, even though it was hilarious, was the grim reaper playing ding dong ditch in the middle of the night.

Yeah they were pretty cool.

And the grim reaper played ding dong ditch in Sim1? I never knew! That's so cool :D
Scholar
#44 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 5:12 PM
to be honest barely anything although in sims 1 the sound of getting burgled and fired were a bit creepy

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#45 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Yeah they were pretty cool.

And the grim reaper played ding dong ditch in Sim1? I never knew! That's so cool :D

There are people who've played forever and never seen it, but it happened frequently in my game. The first couple of times it really creeped me out. You seem him just sort of gliding up the street and then to the door. He rings the doorbell and disappears.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#46 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 7:50 PM
The sounds/creepy music? that occurs when you have a gravestone on the lot. What the heck? Just no. What if I want to keep grandma around?I gotta hear that every time I zoom in on her grave?

My creepiest face is my avatar. She was sniffing the air and I paused at just the right time.

Oh. And click my link here that says you have been chosen

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#47 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 8:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kanzen
I believe sims ARE aware that someone can control them and that they can obey or not. If I direct a shy sim to go talk to another, they do this "what? me? why do I have to do it?" reaction and then fiddle their thumbs before they begrudgingly do it. If they do like what you directed them to do, they're more than happy to let you know about it too.

I'm not sure if that's adorable or creepy, but I'd like to be an optimist here =)))

Oh, that's definitely the case in some-l've directed one male pixel to kiss a female, and he was like "Oh, yeah!" throwing up his hands in the air with thumbs up. He was more than happy to comply with that direction!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Field Researcher
#48 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 8:47 PM
Without glitches, the Sims 2 doesn't creep me out at all. The "staring at the camera" thing kind of does, now, though. It used to not bother me when I was younger (I thought it was cute). Anyway, a glitched out Sims 2 is an entirely different story. I play a lot of games, but a glitched Sims 2 feels sinister. I think it's because it's a life simulator. Most games have glitches that are just slightly annoying, but The Sims 2 has a "NOPE. THAT'S IT. YOU BROKE IT." feel to all of its glitches.

The only other game that came close to creeping me out was a corrupted Skyrim save file, and even then, I didn't feel like the very world itself was going to implode- just that some things were off, and I needed to start again or reload an older save. In The Sims 2, you can't just "start again". Glitches and corruption will slaughter entire neighborhoods, and no two will ever be the exact same. Plus, the effects of corruption are really disturbing sometimes. You get toddlers that want to woohoo, disappearing sims, blank wants and fears slots, teleporting sims, weird faces, etc.

The worst case I had of this was when I started playing the sims 2 again after a long hiatus- about 4 years ago. I didn't know about a lot of corruption-causing actions, so I did a no-no early on in the neighborhood's creation- deleted the families in the bin. Once I found out, I figured it couldn't be that bad- it was just a couple families, right? Well, fast forward 6 months: there is apparently a strange neurological disease infecting the town. Each family I load has one spot in their house that they can't go around or into. It's usually a couple blocks in the grid. They would yell and do the "something is blocking me!" wave. Their bubble that shows what is blocking them just showed me a weird squiggle, which I eventually deciphered as a very squished and distorted list of the motives bar icons, one on top of the other. I google it, but the squiggle bars other people had looked nothing like mine. Eventually, as I played each lot that was affected, the "something's blocking me" action spread and my poor sims were left immobile. I had to delete the neighborhood.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 8:53 PM
I do get slightly unnerved when using stretchskeleton on pets, mostly because their tongues do this odd thing and protude through the back of their skull.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#50 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 2:33 AM
budwinya--I'm very thankful I have Pescado's dontwaveatme. It keeps those incidences to a minimum, I hate that little dance they do when there's no counter space or something. The animation is just so..violent? And something about the voice acting for it is unwholesome. Ditto for the squiggly lines, while just literal lines per se, what it denotes is scary.

ihatemandatoryregister--I am sleeping with every light in my house on tonight that is abhorrent
Page 2 of 4