Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Wanderlust, a new Sims 2 building contest - posted on 3rd Feb 2018 at 3:19 AM
Replies: 16 (Who?), Viewed: 216 times.
Temporarily Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 6:28 AM
Default CHAOS! victorian village apartments!
looking for feedback. my sims 2 its giving me a really hard time to run. the only screenshot i could take before a random crash:

4 tiny apartments. will have an entrace, one guest bathroom, a dinning room, a kitchen, in the 2 floor 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom.
this are 4 cheap future apartments.
Advertisement
Constant Contestant
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 9:05 AM
I think we need a few more screenshots before we can give much advice How about some floorplan layouts?

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
#3 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 12:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLkmxAg7r3Y maybe try this for your issue. We really can't give feedback on the lot, the picture is way too small.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Temporarily Banned
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 8:01 PM
@joandsarah77 tyvm for the fix. did not fix it entirely, but i think my graphics card its too advanced to be ever compatible with s2 (4 gbs of ram ddr5 so its like an alien graphics card to the game) even with rulesmaker the issue wont go away.
still with the video fixes give me a more stable run. more shots. in hd.

main level:

second level:

rooftops:
Needs Coffee
#5 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 11:01 PM
No, actually a 4gb card is what we aim for, I just upgraded to one. So you have the graphics rules on? Did you put on the 4gb patch as well? (And really this should go to help) new cards often need both. Ask for help with that on the help board. No need to put up with pink flashing, plus we can't have pink flashing on upload pictures.

I would suggest giving your apartments a little shape, even if you jutted out a few tiles at the front, right now they are all squares.
For upload you need to be a lot closer. You also need all four units to be furnished. Much closer pictures, Fill the frame with one apartment, no neighbours.

Glad to see you back, I remember your style with the bold colours and star like street lamps.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 11:06 PM
Some of those rooms are awkwardly shaped. I recommend you open the ground floors up, differentiating the kitchen with a change of floor treatment, to prevent routing failure.

On the upper floor, it's not clear what all the rooms are for. None of them are big enough to hold a double bed, which will greatly reduce their usefulness, and the two two-by-two rooms are too small to be anything except linked bath/lavatory rooms, which is pointless in a singles apartment, especially with a powder room downstairs for guests, and not the most efficient use of space. Reconfiguring the bathrooms would make the rest of the space more flexible and useful, creating room for a double bed and/or a closet.

The front yards are all common area and the apartments have no private exterior space. This will be awkward in play, creating circuitous routes and preventing the personalization of the yards. Also, there's nothing to do in those yards, which basically makes them waste space. Consider reversing the orientation of the building so that the front doors lead directly into the living spaces and the yards are fully enclosed patios. The hedges won't be recognized as walls, so if you want to keep them they'll have to be placed along a fence, wall, or half-wall defining the yard. Alternatively, you could remove the interior hedges and place common area amenities like chess, a hot tub, flowers, etc., shielded from the street by the hedges.You'd probably want more continuity of flooring if you did that, and you could reduce the number of lights to make room for more things to do with the neighbors.

Are those greenhouse roofs? They look great; but I'm not sure they'll protect the sims on the top floor from cold and heat.

All those solar panels will bring the cost of living way down, so you should be able to afford more interior space, nicer amenities, and all the fancy architectural details your heart desires.

They're a little gaudy; but I kind of like that in a building, myself, and Second Empire was a gaudy period.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Temporarily Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
Some of those rooms are awkwardly shaped. I recommend you open the ground floors up, differentiating the kitchen with a change of floor treatment, to prevent routing failure.

On the upper floor, it's not clear what all the rooms are for. None of them are big enough to hold a double bed, which will greatly reduce their usefulness, and the two two-by-two rooms are too small to be anything except linked bath/lavatory rooms, which is pointless in a singles apartment, especially with a powder room downstairs for guests, and not the most efficient use of space. Reconfiguring the bathrooms would make the rest of the space more flexible and useful, creating room for a double bed and/or a closet.

The front yards are all common area and the apartments have no private exterior space. This will be awkward in play, creating circuitous routes and preventing the personalization of the yards. Also, there's nothing to do in those yards, which basically makes them waste space. Consider reversing the orientation of the building so that the front doors lead directly into the living spaces and the yards are fully enclosed patios. The hedges won't be recognized as walls, so if you want to keep them they'll have to be placed along a fence, wall, or half-wall defining the yard. Alternatively, you could remove the interior hedges and place common area amenities like chess, a hot tub, flowers, etc., shielded from the street by the hedges.You'd probably want more continuity of flooring if you did that, and you could reduce the number of lights to make room for more things to do with the neighbors.

Are those greenhouse roofs? They look great; but I'm not sure they'll protect the sims on the top floor from cold and heat.

All those solar panels will bring the cost of living way down, so you should be able to afford more interior space, nicer amenities, and all the fancy architectural details your heart desires.

They're a little gaudy; but I kind of like that in a building, myself, and Second Empire was a gaudy period.

will do most of the modifications even that i dont want to redo the exterior. the skylights are as in all my creations, covered with invisible tiles. so cold or heat its not an issue^_^ will do modifications if the game even boots up, and will update to what i have choosen to do in this lot.
Needs Coffee
#8 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 11:33 PM
Not that I can see half the details that Peni seems to be able to lol, but I just noticed your hedge is blocking the window, you will have to change that.

~Call me Jo~
Temporarily Banned
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Not that I can see half the details that Peni seems to be able to lol, but I just noticed your hedge is blocking the window, you will have to change that.

are IMGUR pics so if you open them on a new tab OR download them you will see them on 1080p
Constant Contestant
staff: senior moderator
#10 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 12:51 AM
Why don't you use http://www.modyourpanties.com/ to host your images (it's part of MTS)?

There are far too many windows in all of the apartments, in my opinion, too

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Temporarily Banned
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 1:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Lorraine
Why don't you use http://www.modyourpanties.com/ to host your images (it's part of MTS)?

There are far too many windows in all of the apartments, in my opinion, too

tryed the MYP site and its quite buggy.
leaving shots. re did the lot. now its mostly apartment with a privatw backyard. i must admit it lost all the charm it had. beeing small and all. it was comfy. now its just a regular apartment building. leaving shots. my sims 2 keeps working as sh!t so dont get surprised by pink elements.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 2:52 AM
Hey, it's your name going on the thing - don't make changes you don't like!
You may want to work out your technical bugs before you go further, anyhow.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Temporarily Banned
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 3:56 AM Last edited by olc : 15th Feb 2018 at 4:35 AM.
Quote:
Hey, it's your name going on the thing - don't make changes you don't like!
You may want to work out your technical bugs before you go further, anyhow.

fixed them apparently. needed to manually edit graphicsrules.sgr
will retake your advice and maybe make them smaller.
aldo i must admit they where too small to be comfortable usable. i loved the astethics. will update with pics.
EDIT:
make your deamn mind people, i am taking nicely feedback and you go "its your name so do what you want"
this is the new look, added 1 skylight. its boring to make all at once (too much time consuming)
Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 5:24 AM
That's how critique works, though. Our opinions are just our opinions, our taste is just our taste. Sometimes critics contradict each other (I didn't have a problem with the number of windows, for example). Sometimes we're wrong in an enlightening way. Sometimes we can point out the problem area but our suggested solution won't do. Sometimes we're right for the wrong reason. Sometimes we're so egregiously wrong that you realize for the first time exactly what your vision while you articulate why we're wrong. And sometimes we see with crystal clarity something that you're too close to see.

Take what you need and leave the rest.

Temporarily Banned
Original Poster
#15 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 5:39 AM
Quote:
That's how critique works, though. Our opinions are just our opinions, our taste is just our taste. Sometimes critics contradict each other (I didn't have a problem with the number of windows, for example). Sometimes we're wrong in an enlightening way. Sometimes we can point out the problem area but our suggested solution won't do. Sometimes we're right for the wrong reason. Sometimes we're so egregiously wrong that you realize for the first time exactly what your vision while you articulate why we're wrong. And sometimes we see with crystal clarity something that you're too close to see.

Take what you need and leave the rest.

agreed. any feedback on the updated pic?
Inventor
#16 Old Yesterday at 8:37 PM
Can we see the indoor floorplans of the new apartments?

The one thing that sticks out is that it doesn't have a lot of shape and is a bit busy- my eyes go all over the place! The multicoloured look is fine, but maybe create a bit more of a definition between the different apartments? Does that make sense?
Temporarily Banned
Original Poster
#17 Old Yesterday at 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklypotato
Can we see the indoor floorplans of the new apartments?

The one thing that sticks out is that it doesn't have a lot of shape and is a bit busy- my eyes go all over the place! The multicoloured look is fine, but maybe create a bit more of a definition between the different apartments? Does that make sense?

yes more uniqueness or personality to each apartment. let me see what i can do. i have not made more on this lot cause my sims 2 usually crashes when i try to save....