Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Vampire Coffin (TS2: Nightlife Adaptation)

by Naus Allien Posted 3rd Mar 2018 at 8:17 PM - Updated 29th Nov 2018 at 10:20 PM by Naus Allien

29 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 14 Feedback Posts, 14 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
Scholar
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 9:58 PM
This is really cool, and I love that you split the object to allow for full customisation, but I have to admit that I find the way the vampire floats just above the coffin rather than being inside it a bit of a let down. I would have thought, given that there are beds that can shift up and down the wall, that it would be possible to adjust the height the vampire lies at? In an object with so much attention to detail, it seems like a strange thing to overlook.

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Theorist
THANKS POST
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 11:29 PM
It's finally here! Congrats on being a Picked Upload. :-D
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 11:37 PM
Omg thanks for this! it’s great!!
Forum Resident
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 11:53 PM
It's really cool, but I was a bit taken aback that the vampire floats above the coffin that way. Was there no way to get him to rest inside of it? Or did that cause animation problems?
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 12:59 AM
There were only two ways to make the vampire float inside the coffin:
- Method 1: Creating a new animation or modifying the existing animation (which requires scripting) OR
- Method 2: Warp the altar (make it taller) and raise the height of the coffin to match the animation.

I tried the second method at some point but I didn't like the result. You need to warp/stretch the altar a lot to match the animation and it looked pretty bad. There's also the problem that if I do that, the flames of the candles that get turned on when the vampire fall asleep won't match the candles in the altar (because it's taller) and they'll look pretty silly. I'd have no problem modifying the original animation (method 1) but I don't know how to script so I'd need somebody else to that for me.

Alternatively, I could design a version with the coffin at the right height but without the altar (though the coffin would be floating). If any of you have any other ideas, please let me know.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#7 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 4:30 AM
Well, even with the vampire floating above, it's still very cool. I have absolutely NO idea about how to do animations, so I believe you on the difficulties. :) And I sort of figured that was the reason. We can always make up our own rationale as to why the vamps float above the coffin!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#8 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 12:31 PM
this is awesome af, thanks
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
There were only two ways to make the vampire float inside the coffin:
- Method 1: Creating a new animation or modifying the existing animation (which requires scripting) OR
- Method 2: Warp the altar (make it taller) and raise the height of the coffin to match the animation.

I tried the second method at some point but I didn't like the result. You need to warp/stretch the altar a lot to match the animation and it looked pretty bad. There's also the problem that if I do that, the flames of the candles that get turned on when the vampire fall asleep won't match the candles in the altar (because it's taller) and they'll look pretty silly. I'd have no problem modifying the original animation (method 1) but I don't know how to script so I'd need somebody else to that for me.

Alternatively, I could design a version with the coffin at the right height but without the altar (though the coffin would be floating). If any of you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Had you looked at changing the IK slots in TSRW? They would potentially change the position/height at which the vampire sleeps, so that you could lower them into the coffins in that way?

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#10 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 2:34 PM
THANK YOU!!!! That's dope
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#11 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 4:01 PM
Omygod it looks AWESOME! I was hoping one day someone would make something like that. I mean I love the altars but it looks so barren and unstylish unlike those vamps coffin ^^
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spladoum
Had you looked at changing the IK slots in TSRW? They would potentially change the position/height at which the vampire sleeps, so that you could lower them into the coffins in that way?

As far as I know, you can't edit IK entries in TSRW. I checked the RIG file with S3PE but I couldn't find anything related to the sleeping/floating animation's slot. The name of the skeleton is "bedCombined_rig," which leads me to believe it's the common skeleton of all bed-type objects. Even if I managed to find and change the right slot, I can't imagine it would look any good. Vampires would start the animation inside the altar / underneath the coffin and you wouldn't be able to see them until they start floating. Somehow I think that would look worse that vampires floating above while sleeping. It's kinda the same reason why I didn't make the object taller, because it wouldn't match the Sims movement whatsoever and they'd clip through the object and go underneath it.
Scholar
#13 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 6:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
As far as I know, you can't edit IK entries in TSRW. I checked the RIG file with S3PE but I couldn't find anything related to the sleeping/floating animation's slot. The name of the skeleton is "bedCombined_rig," which leads me to believe it's the common skeleton of all bed-type objects. Even if I managed to find and change the right slot, I can't imagine it would look any good. Vampires would start the animation inside the altar / underneath the coffin and you wouldn't be able to see them until they start floating. Somehow I think that would look worse that vampires floating above while sleeping. It's kinda the same reason why I didn't make the object taller, because it wouldn't match the Sims movement whatsoever and they'd clip through the object and go underneath it.

Honestly, I'd prefer a few seconds of wonky animation entering/exiting the coffin but sleeping in the right spot. They're going to spend more time in the sleeping position than entering/exiting, so I'd prioritise that.

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 7:54 AM Last edited by Naus Allien : 9th Mar 2018 at 10:25 AM.
So I gave it a try and changed the height and position of the coffin to match better sleeping/floating animation. It looks quite nice, but there's a lot of clipping getting in and out the coffin. There's also the problem of the *censored* flames which appear whenever the vampire falls asleep. Now they're just floating there. I might try to rework the altar to match the coffin's height but it'll take some time (I have to pretty much redo part of the mesh and an additional step). In the meantime, the coffin can be used with counters or pedestals, it has the perfect height for either (and there's no clipping or routing issues whatsoever).

For those who don't mind using the coffin as it is (without an altar), I've attached this version. You need to remove the original version in order for this one to work. Please let me know what you think and whether I should work on fixing the altar.

PS: I only include the Supernatural version because the Compatibility Tool kept crashing and it wouldn't let me make a LN compatible version. Most people have downloaded the Supernatural version anyway.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#15 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 12:33 PM
SQUEEEEEEEEE !! It looks amazing, thank you so much Naus!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#16 Old 6th Mar 2018 at 2:45 PM
I am so shook right now , what is going on, did Xmas come early? Is it my birthday? What -- ?
Inventor
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 8:28 AM
I tried to adapt the altar to work with the raised coffin but it looked awful and there was a lot of clipping and other issues. So what I did was to modify Late Night's altar so you could place the coffin on top. It works rather well, except for candle flames of course. I'll probably do the same with Supernatural's altar and release both along with the final version of the coffin.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#18 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 2:06 PM
Thank you for working on it.

It really is an amazing piece, and making the vampire be inside when sleeping looks MUCH nicer. I was thinking about it the other day, and it occurred to me that "real" vampires would have problems getting in and out of a casket, as well. Maybe in "real life" they cause the front side piece to go flat. I don't think that would be at all doable for a mod (or would be so difficult it wouldn't be worth it to try to make it), but it's an interesting thought.

Can't wait to see further developments. This is already a really amazing piece for a vampire home. I can just picture lining up a whole bunch of these and having a bunch of vampires sleeping in them, for a foolhardy vampire hunter to try to attack. :D
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#19 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 12:26 AM
I love the coffin on the altar, that looks fantastic!
Inventor
Original Poster
#20 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 7:55 PM
I've just finished the Supernatural altar. It ended up being a colossal 2x4 structure, but it was the only way to have it be at the right height not looking stretched. The good think is that because of its large size, it covers up most of the flames that appear when a vampire falls asleep. Only three small flames are still visible, but only from certain angles. It's as good as it's going to get so I'm quite happy with the end result.

I'll probably be uploading these files in a couple of hours after some tweaks here and there.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#21 Old 8th Mar 2018 at 9:48 PM
The new version looks absolutely fantastic!
Inventor
Original Poster
#22 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 12:15 AM
Well, the update is alive. I hope you enjoy whichever version you pick (or both).
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#23 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 7:28 AM
Thank you so much for this!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#24 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 1:37 PM
Wow the new version is looking good. The clipping issue is a bit unfortunate but I think we can ignore it. I can help you with scripting the interaction to the Altar but making a completely new sleeping animation will be very hard, it also has to register as a sleeping posture to the game. It'll take a lot of work. Thank you for what you've done so far. It looks really good.
Inventor
Original Poster
#25 Old 9th Mar 2018 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by skydome
Wow the new version is looking good. The clipping issue is a bit unfortunate but I think we can ignore it. I can help you with scripting the interaction to the Altar but making a completely new sleeping animation will be very hard, it also has to register as a sleeping posture to the game. It'll take a lot of work. Thank you for what you've done so far. It looks really good.

I think the easiest way would be to override the original CLIP resources (a2o_vampires_sleep_X), changing the height and position of the Sim to fit better with the coffin. It wouldn't look bad in the altars either because there's plenty of space to maneuver (and they already float too high in my opinion). That way we wouldn't need to script anything or mess with posture and all of that.

I'll attach the .clip files in case you want to take a look at them. I've also included the high poly mesh (in both wso and obj formats); you can use it for reference.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  VampireAltar-Animations.rar (287.6 KB, 19 downloads)
Page 1 of 2