Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 2:07 AM
I don't...But I think I'll use Peni's trick, and start using their Bio to write down important stuff to remember about them. So..thanks Peni.
I'll need a way to remember which household I was playing though, since I will start playing rotations and sure, I will forget. With all the creatingz me does, I can be away from playing them long enough so I won't recall.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 3:29 AM
There's any number of tricks for remembering where you left off in a rotation, Rosebine. You might, for example, note in the household description in hood view the date on which you last played something. If you make sure to take one picture during each household you can look in your storytelling or screenshots folder before firing up the game, and see which household you played most recently. You could keep a list on a notepad.

A lot depends on how you settle on defining your rotations. I have a standard rotational order for each neighborhood and subhood, with a "start" position and an "end" position on the map. Other people bounce around a lot, not worrying about order as long as everybody ages the same amount. Other people go in alphabetical order, which I expect makes spreadsheet use easier. When you find your comfort zone on rotations, the most convenient method of keeping track of where you are will probably be evident.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 3:31 AM
For the most part I know if a house still needs more playing by looking at the season. If most houses are in summer and some still in spring, I know those in spring need more playing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#29 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 4:22 AM
Pescado's lot sync timer will track exactly what "day" it is on every lot in your hood, and you can check which families have been played or not on any lot. You can also advance the day manually if it's a college lot. The only downside is you have to find a place to stash an object that looks like the elixir of life on every lot without having it mess up your pictures or otherwise be an eyesore.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#30 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 5:37 AM
Track my hood.... hmmm I did try to write down the rules for my own version of the BACC here while back. That is about as far as I got :D
I have completely different hoods now. I change hoods like I do my clothes, and sometimes more often :P
Mad Poster
#31 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 8:46 AM
I don't really feel the need to track my hood or to keep spreadsheets (that sounds like working to me, not playing). My hood is over 4 years old now and I think I know all 200+ families well enough. I may make a note here and there on a Word Doc to remind me who soon has to go to Uni, who is close to graduation, who needs to move to the retirement hood, who needs to grow up (since I do try to keep twins the same age, and, as some of you know, I have many of those ) etc. - mainly because I am not a strict rotational player.
Scholar
#32 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 9:41 AM
i just remember what happened when i last played no need for spreadsheets or anything like that,they'd just confuse my brain.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Test Subject
#33 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 2:06 PM
I really second Pescado's lot sync timer kestrellyn mentioned. For me, it's invaluable for keeping track of my rotational neighbourhood. Means that I have the freedom to play a bit of each household here and there and still keep everyone in time.

I really need to get some spreadsheets happening because making random notes on a word doc isn't really cutting it! I want to start keeping track of earnings and funds in particular so I can begin setting up a more complete economic system.
Alchemist
#34 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 9:29 PM
do not really keep track of my neighborhoods; but have written a number of my planned couples on paper.
Space Pony
#35 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 10:54 PM
Old fashioned here.. pen.. and paper.. with stupid flowers, hearts and donald duck faces darwn to marginal.

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Mad Poster
#36 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 11:00 PM
lol! Ellu, I almost clicked on Helpful.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#37 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 2:38 AM
For many years I didn't track anything. But a couple of years ago I started writing things down because I kept missing people. You know someone would move out when I wasn't playing that house and move in with a friend, stuff like that. So, I started a word document for every household. Then I saw Ihate's spreadsheet. Hers didn't suit my needs so I created one of my own. It tracks everything from the names to aliases (some of mine are on the run), to whether the legal parents are the actual parents. It gets bigger all the time, and like someone else said, I like updating it. I just click out of the game and add data whenever someone ages up or marries or finds a career. I've even begun inventing names for parents of townies who marry into my families or for people I create in CAS. For quick reference I have index cards for each of my sims. They go in small file boxes paper clipped with their family members. On the back is the family name, cause they don't always match the actual people in the household.

Each sim also has a document showing their children, how many were in the litter, and the other parent. Some of my sims have many, many children and not all with the same parent. It's another quick reference for me.

I also have an employment grid for all careers currently in the hood. Careers can only have so many employees and there can only be one at the top. This helps me track them as they climb up the ladder.

I have OCD and I can either not track at all or track everything. Obviously I've gone overboard.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#38 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 6:08 AM
Excel spreadsheet. First it was just names, age group in birth order and color-coded with family lines. Then I started tracking which subhood they live in, notes about potential future spouses, whether I intend they go to university, future baby names for siblings, and- as of last month- how many times I've played the lot.

I'm debating adding columns for parents. I used to scoff at the idea because I had the family lines, but my hood has expanded too much and I occasionally I forget with the youngest generations. And now that I think about it, a column to see who's engaged versus married because I keep coming across sims I thought were married, but are just engaged and I forgot to have a wedding, and now they have teenagers, so why bother with the ceremony, etc.
Test Subject
#39 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 6:56 AM
inspiredzone, having a spreadsheet including future spouses would be really good. I have this ongoing problem where my sims end up falling in love with two or three other sims each. Then I have to go around and get rid of all that before the wedding (or not, drama!). I also have the same problem with Sims just getting engaged a week or into the adult stage, then ending up having a ceremony as elders. I think it's a bit cute, though.
Inventor
#40 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 9:18 AM
I use both spreadsheets and text files, though I only keep track of playables or special townies (like playables who were converted into townies, mainly for aging purposes). The spreadsheets are typically used for more specific information that doesn't require as much elaboration, such as rotation of births and deaths, jobs, LTWs, and motivation levels. If anything does require clarification or additional notes, I attach comments to the needed entries.

They're also convenient for me since I have mechanisms in place that formulae make easier to update across the tabs - if I jot down the education level and type a sim has received, limits and other information will fill themselves in. In terms of aging/health, I have some sims with longer life spans and spreadsheets makes it easier for me to track them down. I don't use them regularly, but ROS events have their own tab since some of them last for longer than one rotation and I might forget when one sim is supposed to finish a secret Intelligence mission.

Granted, it was a bit of an undertaking when I first made them, but like iCad, I have general templates that I can copy across the individual spreadsheets; each of them are self-contained since I tend to have special mechanisms in place in certain hoods. The rules for a city might not apply to the medieval hood and since I have several types of hoods, it comes in handy.

Each rotation per hood has a text file with the rotation order and notes about certain events that I find interesting and/or could be useful storywise. That way, when I revert to a back-up, I can just check the progress report to see where each household left off. It's also used for tracking down if and when I added or removed some mods/CC; I've gone back to old neighborhoods in storage and was grateful to have reminded myself that I changed skin sets or defaults during this particular rotation. I don't always have strict orders in rotations, but I'll know that I already played a particular house if there's an entry in the text file.

My game doesn't play well with windowed mode, so it's become automatic to me to notice events and jot them down in the text file after every session or during breaks - pregnancies, residence transfers, and the like. There are also notes like while playing Sim A, Sim B went fishing and met possible romantic interest Sim C in the park since it sometimes helps me out with storylines.

I like having a system for tracking hoods since, like iCad said, it's easier for me to remember all of the mechanics I put into place and/or remember what I plan to do with a hood I haven't played in a while. And perhaps it sounds strange, but tracking my hoods is also fun to me; most of the games I play aren't as "comprehensive" (probably not the word I'm looking for but they're along the lines of I have 15 scones, and that's enough to get me past the mermaid boss - not exactly track-worthy), so I get a sense of satisfaction seeing all of the little details that add to the hood in general.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 9:31 AM
I use Excel, with one tab per hood and colour code households to know which one to play next in rotation. But other than keeping basic track of households I don't really write much down. I've tried using their bios for individual notes for a while, but I just can't get used to it and both forget to check if there's anything there and jot anything down for next round. I haven't entirely given up on that yet though, as it might just be a matter of really getting into the habit.
Test Subject
#42 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 10:40 AM
I use a spreadsheet to keep track of the taxes in my BACC (sort of...) and Sim Tracker, though I wish it was more simple because it has a lot of options I don't use.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 12:44 PM
I sometimes experiment with spreadsheets, but I have yet to find a format/method of keeping track of it that I like. I occasionally make family trees on familyecho, but that's normally when I do Legacies. I have a note on either my phone or in a notebook with the order of my rotations.
Theorist
#44 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 2:04 PM
I just use the seasons as a guide, that way I can play the houses in whatever order and can even "pause" households (I pay a household for one day, then switch to another household, do the whole season there and then return to the first household and finish the season) as long as by the end of the rotation everybody has entered the new season it's all good.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 2:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rollingstarr
I sometimes experiment with spreadsheets, but I have yet to find a format/method of keeping track of it that I like. I occasionally make family trees on familyecho, but that's normally when I do Legacies. I have a note on either my phone or in a notebook with the order of my rotations.

The great thing about spreadsheets is you get to track what's most important to you. I have a separate spreadsheet for each hood. The sheets, themselves, are done by last name and color coded for easy location of people living together. Then I put whatever I find important and add to it when I think of something else I want to track.

It doesn't have to be complicated or even a complete accounting of the pixel. But I did find it and all my other data invaluable when my hood was nuked and I had to refugee my sims out. I was able to recreate them so easily using the data I had.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#46 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by citybeyond
inspiredzone, having a spreadsheet including future spouses would be really good. I have this ongoing problem where my sims end up falling in love with two or three other sims each. Then I have to go around and get rid of all that before the wedding (or not, drama!). I also have the same problem with Sims just getting engaged a week or into the adult stage, then ending up having a ceremony as elders. I think it's a bit cute, though.

When I'm planning things out in advance, or when sims are dating someone as a teen or young adult but I'm not sure if I want them to get married, I put a question mark. I have one sim who is listed next to 3 different men with "Lainey?" because I'm not sure who I want her to end up with yet.

If I don't plan in advance, I'm left with either a bunch of singles who never found love, or a lot of gay couples because there were 6 men left of that generation and no unavailable women.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 12:50 PM
The aging really makes a lot of sense, though it can be hard if you want sims to be a specific age. Right out of the CAS box, adults have 29 days left. All new townie adults who move and become playable have 29 days. You can find a lot of mods that allow you to adjust that. I think sims manipulator does.

Field Researcher
#49 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 1:02 PM
For the main part I just use a notepad (text file). I have a list of households in a specific order followed with the first names of the residents and I put an asterisk before the household I'm supposed to play. The rotations are Mo-Tu, Wed-Fri and Sa-Su. Students I play for two years (so until everyone is either graduated or halfway). Under that list I copied the list of household names, but now they are followed by notes about the household: who is pregnant, when the baby will come, when it's someone's birthday, whether someone needs to find a love interest, where newborn puppies and kittens need to go, whatever is necessary. For teens that soon go to university I note who is their friend so they can come with them. I have a separate notepad for which teen is attracted to or has a relationship with someone so I can see if I need to make more townies, but I don't open that one automatically when I play.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 3:00 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 25th Apr 2018 at 3:20 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Spreadsheets are work. Story albums are the easiest and fastest way to not lose track of what's going on.

I wish there was an external program (preferably hook to the in-game thing) where you could read and edit the snapped stories in a fly.
Page 2 of 3