Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

[UPDATE] Sims 2 GMDC Import/Export for Blender 2.79

by SmugTomato Posted 22nd May 2018 at 3:43 PM - Updated 23rd Feb 2021 at 7:56 PM by SmugTomato

65 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 45 Feedback Posts, 19 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 3
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#2 Old 22nd May 2018 at 4:23 PM
Great to have another option for GMDC besides milkshape. Nice job.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 22nd May 2018 at 4:29 PM
omg i love you so much i definitely wanted this so bad. Im going to start using this right away.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#4 Old 22nd May 2018 at 6:30 PM
This is severely cool. I am not all that great at animations and how they work, but seems like it'd almost be a gamechanger for animation-requiring creations. Awesomesauce! Thank you so much for making it and sharing with the community.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd May 2018 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
This is severely cool. I am not all that great at animations and how they work, but seems like it'd almost be a gamechanger for animation-requiring creations. Awesomesauce! Thank you so much for making it and sharing with the community.

It should be noted that this tool can not export actual animations, though it can certainly save bone assignments on meshes.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#6 Old 22nd May 2018 at 7:09 PM
Thanks so much for this delightful tool.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#7 Old 22nd May 2018 at 11:15 PM
Thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#8 Old 23rd May 2018 at 12:20 AM
Aaah. I was just looking into putting some of my builds into Sims 2. This will make it a million times easier =)
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#9 Old 23rd May 2018 at 12:56 AM
Thanks, I've been waiting for this for a very long time!.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#10 Old 23rd May 2018 at 3:36 PM
ah this is beautiful. thanks so much.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#11 Old 24th May 2018 at 9:25 AM
So, does this mean that I can make new clothing meshes using your tool in Blender? (Yes, I need it definitively spelled-out for me, lol)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th May 2018 at 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Joselle
So, does this mean that I can make new clothing meshes using your tool in Blender? (Yes, I need it definitively spelled-out for me, lol)
yep
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#13 Old 24th May 2018 at 8:35 PM
This is what creators needed since forever. Thank you so much, I will definitelly fave this and use it eventually <3
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#14 Old 25th May 2018 at 12:59 AM
Thank you so much for this! I've been wanting this since I started using Blender. Your work is much appreciated :3
Instructor
THANKS POST
#15 Old 25th May 2018 at 3:58 AM
Wonderful ! Thank you !
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#16 Old 25th May 2018 at 3:21 PM
Wow this is great! Are there any tutorials for beginners because I really want to try making sims 2 clothes lol, or should I just follow a normal tutorial and do milkshape stuff in blender?
Not actually evil.
#17 Old 25th May 2018 at 5:18 PM
Thank you for adding another option, I appreciate all the work you put into this.

Could you clarify "one UV layer", please? Does that mean only one mesh group gets to have a UV mapping, therefore hair or clothing with multiple mesh groups mapped to different textures are not supported? If that's so, do you plan to add support for that later?

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 25th May 2018 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
Could you clarify "one UV layer", please? Does that mean only one mesh group gets to have a UV mapping, therefore hair or clothing with multiple mesh groups mapped to different textures are not supported? If that's so, do you plan to add support for that later?

Every group can have It's own single UV layer, this means every group gets a UV map without issue. The single UV layer limitation only affects a few special meshes that rely on a 2nd UV map to work properly (like eyes) Will only be able to be exported with one layer. To even consider adding support for this I'd first have to know which meshes contain more than one UV layer. The only ones I know of so far are head meshes which have other reasons they can't be imported.

Quote: Originally posted by jwofles
Wow this is great! Are there any tutorials for beginners because I really want to try making sims 2 clothes lol, or should I just follow a normal tutorial and do milkshape stuff in blender?

You can just follow any tutorial made for Milkshape, just replace the Milkshape bits with Blender.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 27th May 2018 at 5:59 AM
Well, because I was really eager to use this, I just have to put this here:
Funnily enough, You CAN install this into 2.78 and it will mostly work. How do I know this? Because I did it. However, it doesn't completely work (it won't export!) So, I'm off to get 2.79 of Blender XD. Therefore, let this serve as a further warning to anyone who's as eager as I am to make their own clothing meshes: CHECK YOUR BLENDER VERSION!!! Thank you again, SmugTomato, I'm really happy you made this!
Test Subject
#20 Old 28th May 2018 at 5:41 AM
Big thanks!
Quote: Originally posted by SmugTomato
It should be noted that this tool can not export actual animations, though it can certainly save bone assignments on meshes.
My respond: This is a big help since I was looking for something to use for Blender!! And the one I found it was too out date so thank you big time SmugTomato!! You saved me a lot trouble in having, to fool around with it possible myself later or be stuck with Milkshape 3d! And so how do you animated with this tool then!?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 28th May 2018 at 8:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TALSUPERTERRYX2
My respond: This is a big help since I was looking for something to use for Blender!! And the one I found it was too out date so thank you big time SmugTomato!! You saved me a lot trouble in having, to fool around with it possible myself later or be stuck with Milkshape 3d! And so how do you animated with this tool then!?

As my comment you quoted states, you can't. Animations themselves are not supported, only meshes, be they static or rigged. For animations you'll still be required to use milkshape.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 31st May 2018 at 9:05 AM
Unfortunately, I have found an issue with this: the normals. I decided to do this tutorial http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php..._and_UV_Mapping, and quickly discovered that auto-smooth is on by default, stripping off the "good" normals (as seen in the pictures below).

Not sure if you would be able to disable auto-smooth by default in your addon, or if we'll need to have it disabled by default in the Blender program itself. Either way, auto-smooth shouldn't be on. I figured it best to let you know right away.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 31st May 2018 at 11:07 AM Last edited by SmugTomato : 31st May 2018 at 11:18 AM.
Unfortunately, I have found an issue with this: the normals. I decided to do this tutorial http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php..._and_UV_Mapping, and quickly discovered that auto-smooth is on by default, stripping off the "good" normals (as seen in the pictures below).

Not sure if you would be able to disable auto-smooth by default in your addon, or if we'll need to have it disabled by default in the Blender program itself. Either way, auto-smooth shouldn't be on. I figured it best to let you know right away.

That's strange, the importer/exporter should be handling this by merging and splitting the appropriate edges. Could you provide me with the mesh files(original and edited) and blend files so i can check it out please?
It might just be that somehow the edges didn't get merged on import for some reason, simply removing doubles might fix it.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 1:21 AM
I'll get the files, but when I went to save my work (while doing the tutorial) I noticed that the file was significantly smaller on export than what I imported.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  TutorialDress2_Meshfile.rar (286.1 KB, 12 downloads)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 6:53 AM
I'll get the files, but when I went to save my work (while doing the tutorial) I noticed that the file was significantly smaller on export than what I imported.

That's perfectly normal, there is a section in the GMDC file that appears to do absolutely nothing, so the exporter doesn't bother with it. The Unimesh plugins for milkshape also skip this section.
Page 1 of 3