Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for July - posted on 1st Aug 2018 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 731 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 11:58 PM Last edited by Elddie : 31st Jul 2018 at 3:30 PM.
Default A neighborhood project: Meet Sunny Hills
Hello simmers!
Today, I decided to start a new project. It will be a neighborhood, with all expansion pack features and the classic Maxis' families in slightly altered versions. I also plan to make it fully bilingual, probably the first one. Initially, it will support English and Brazilian Portuguese, which is my native language. Once the neighborhood is done, other people can help to translate it into other languages. It has 64 lots at this point, being 25 community lots and 39 residential lots, from small to big sizes (4 of them are beach lots). It uses DesiderataValley.sc4, or simply Desiderata Valley's terrain. I chose this terrain because it has access to beaches, mountains and organized and flat streets, giving the neighborhood the perfect features for a good place to live.
At the moment, I just placed the lots, so here's a picture of how the neighborhood is at the moment - blue represents community lots and green represents residential lots:
(thanks to CuriousB for the terrain replacement and for Voeille for the water mod)
(also thanks to Bananensap for suggesting me the name "Sunny Hills")

Remember the "classic Maxis' families" part? So, I can't add all of them, so I'm making a form to decide which families should live in Sunny Hills! Each person can only vote once. It doesn't require your email to answer the form. The minimum you can choose is one family, and the maximum is choose all families. The 25 most chosen will live in Sunny Hills. The form includes all families living in Maxis' neighborhoods (Base Game and EPs), plus Bluewater Village families (because one of the characteristics of this neighborhood will be the EP features, so it will make Bluewater Village [and maybe Downtown] basically useless). (PS: The form isn't taking answers anymore and you can check the results in the #5 post!)
I'm totally open to suggestions. Actually, here are some things I'd like to know that you can answer:
  • Is this lot number enough?
  • Is this lot organization good?
I'm also needing builders. If you're good at building ('cause I suck at building) and want to help with the project, contact me.
I'm waiting for answers! Bye-bye
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 5:43 PM
It may be too high! Deciding how many lots you want before deciding what you want to use those lots for looks like putting the cart before the horse to me. We'll see how it goes.

You've left yourself quite a number of blanks to fill with hood deco, some of them awkwardly small. And I have to wonder on what basis you chose lot sizes, since you don't know what they're all going to be used for yet. Still, you have to work the way you work and not the way I do.

I sucked at building when I built my first shared neighborhood, too. The only way to not suck at building is to build a lot. I'm willing to contribute but have to have a clearer idea of the concept of the neighborhood before I commit to anything.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
It may be too high! Deciding how many lots you want before deciding what you want to use those lots for looks like putting the cart before the horse to me. We'll see how it goes.

You've left yourself quite a number of blanks to fill with hood deco, some of them awkwardly small. And I have to wonder on what basis you chose lot sizes, since you don't know what they're all going to be used for yet. Still, you have to work the way you work and not the way I do.

I sucked at building when I built my first shared neighborhood, too. The only way to not suck at building is to build a lot. I'm willing to contribute but have to have a clearer idea of the concept of the neighborhood before I commit to anything.

Hello! Yeah, I don't like the way the hood is by this moment, but you know what? Forget this map. I will redo the lot organization, and I will separate the things this way: One side will be the low-class side, for Sims with lower budget. This side will have smaller lots them the average and basic community lots (this will be the side on the right, far from the Center). Switching to the center of the map, we will see it divided between middle-class side and high-class side. The middle-class side will be next to the beach, and the high-class farthest from the beach (Actually, I'm thinking on reverse the positions in this case). The middle-class would have average houses, with average-sized lots and community lots more dedicated to entertainment (such as parks, bookstores, etc.). Finnally, we have the high-class side: bigger lots, richer Sims, community lots like fancy restaurants, ballads, etc. I also plan to include an apartment side and a rural side.

Basically, my lot organization will be based on Belladona Cove. But I'm afraid that the terrain I chose to not be able to afford these things. I mean, I haven't found any other terrain (Custom and from Maxis) that was like I wanted. Maybe I need to search better.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Jul 2018 at 7:48 AM
Or learn to make your own. The learning curve for Sim City as a terrain maker isn't that high, and it can still be gotten cheap. I spent $5 to get base game + Rush Hour on e-bay.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 5:15 PM
Default Form results
Well, it's August, 1st and it's time to see the form results. Here ya go:

#1 - The Brokes (78.3%)
#2 - The Calientes (73.9%)
#3 - The Pleasants (73.9%)
#4 - The Goths (69.6%)
#5 - The Smiths (69.6%)
#6 - The Curious (65.2%)
#7 - The Montys (65.2%)
#8 - The Singles (65.2%)
#9 - The Summerdreams (65.2%)
#10 - The Burbs (60.9%)
#11 - The Capps (60.9%)
#12 - The Dreamers (60.9%)
#13 - The Landgraabs (60.9%)
#14 - The Lotharios (60.9%)
#15 - The Beakers (56.5%)
#16 - The Specters (56.5%)
#17 - The Oldies (52.2%)
#18 - The Delarosas (47.8%)
#19 - The Ramirez (47.8%)
#20 - The Greenmans (43.5%)
#21 - The Unas (43.5%)
#22 - The Jacquets (39.1%)
#23 - The Chos (34.8%)
#24 - The O'Mackeys (34.8%)
#25 - The Tinkers (34.8%)

#26 - The Cordials (30.4%)
#27 - The Giekes (30.4%)
#28 - The Patels (30.4%)
#29 - The Roths (30.4%)
#30 - The Wans (30.4%)
#31 - The Aspirs (26.1%)
#32 - The Baldwins (26.1%)
#33 - The DeBateaus (26.1%)
#34 - The Greens (26.1%)
#35 - The Larsons (26.1%)
#36 - The McGreggors (26.1%)
#37 - The Rileys (26.1%)
#38 - The Viejos (26.1%)
#39 - The Bells (21.7%)
#40 - The Contenders (21.7%)
#41 - The Furtherfords (21.7%)
#42 - The Joques (21.7%)
#43 - The Moles (21.7%)
#44 - The Clevelands (17.4%)
#45 - The Contrarys (17.4%)

The first 25 families will dwell Sunny Hills (now Sunny Island, explanations in post #6). Thank you for everyone that voted!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Jul 2018 at 5:26 PM
Default Sunny Hills is now Sunny Island
So, I was looking Maxis' terrains and saw two possibilities for Sunny Hills: Isla Segundo and Driftwood. I edited both terrains with SimCity 4, connecting some roads and adding connections to the beach, and looks like edited Isla Segundo is the one that fits more. But, as it has no hills, and the terrain is different at all, I decided to rename the hood to Sunny Island. Here is a screenshot of how the terrain looks: