Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#51 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 12:28 AM
I couldn't tell you, if I had to leave one generation of Sims as default and change the other one, which one I'd change and which one I'd keep. TS2's may look better by default but my inability to make TS2 Sims look even a little bit different from one another leads me to believe I'd be much better off with the puddings. At least I'd know how to make them look half decent without CC.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 1:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I couldn't tell you, if I had to leave one generation of Sims as default and change the other one, which one I'd change and which one I'd keep. TS2's may look better by default but my inability to make TS2 Sims look even a little bit different from one another leads me to believe I'd be much better off with the puddings. At least I'd know how to make them look half decent without CC.

Fair enough but I still do prefer the way that the Sims 2 sims looked.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#53 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 1:26 AM Last edited by Simonut : 16th Oct 2018 at 1:39 AM.
I do have a love for Don Lothario here are some interesting Sims facts about Don in all three version of Sims. He seem to be the most popular Sims.
I often wonder if some top level person in EA / Maxis really created Don Lothario as himself humm Mystery Man Don ??? Check this link out on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N_OZxOjNfM

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Scholar
#54 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 3:04 AM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 16th Oct 2018 at 3:19 AM.
I had just taken some pictures of my Sims 2 and 3 sims with cc. Here they are and you could decide which ones that you like better. I could take a version of them without cc if you want a fairer comparison and I did use default slider sims so they look fat faced. I also wanted to say that I love how expressive that the Sims 2 sims look compared to the Sims 3 which is one of the reasons why Sims 2 is still my most favorite of the main Sims games.
Screenshots
Meet Me In My Next Life
#55 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 3:22 AM
I like your your Sims 2 Sims and the last picture to the right of Sims 3 I like.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#56 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 3:24 AM
Every time I see this thread title I read it as "community service."

Grizje, it's very easy to make sims 2 sims look different from each other. The key thing is to let go of certain of your assumptions about human faces and any impulse to make them "beautiful." Sims 2 sims are cartoons, with cartoon proportions, and all the face templates - including the ones you've been brainwashed to think of as pretty - are caricatures. Embrace that and start experimenting.

Use a random number generator to decide what template to use; or take the first face/skintone/eye color/hair color you're given - no matter how bizarre it seems at first - and start fiddling with it. Use sliders you've never used before. Push them, pull them, see how round you can get a narrow face template, how thin you can get a round one. Make the template you think of as "pretty" and do everything you can to make it "ugly" while keeping the same template. Make the template you find repulsive "pretty." Take random sims with radically different faces and breed them, then breed the offspring - three, four, five generations, see what you get. Pick a sim you consider weird looking, devise a backstory, and play that sim. You'll be surprised how soon you find that you love that sim, not least because you can pick it out of a crowd even when another sim with the same hair and coloring are on the same lot.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#57 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 3:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
I like your your Sims 2 Sims and the last picture to the right of Sims 3 I like.

Thank you. I would had taken better pictures if I knew how. I created Claire and Prince in Bodyshop and made them have a son named Clarence on CAS.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 3:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Grizje, it's very easy to make sims 2 sims look different from each other.

Grijze said he's face blind to the point where even his irl friends are unrecognizable when they get haircuts. What looks very different to you or me probably looks much the same to someone who's face blind.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#59 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 12:28 PM
Pi's not a very smart man when it comes to recognizing people's faces but one thing to consider is that there's a hundred times more detail in any real face than in any of TS2's, 3's or 4's. Best you can do is get a really high quality skin, some facial overlays, maybe replacements for eyes and teeth, and try to go from there.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#60 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Pi's not a very smart man when it comes to recognizing people's faces but one thing to consider is that there's a hundred times more detail in any real face than in any of TS2's, 3's or 4's. Best you can do is get a really high quality skin, some facial overlays, maybe replacements for eyes and teeth, and try to go from there.

I'm curious which ones do you use on your sims?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#61 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 3:54 PM
I can only speak for TS3 since I've had to clear out both my TS2 and my TS4 due to technical issues......TS2 has decided it suddenly didn't want to run anymore, and nothing I've tried so far has worked. TS4 on the other hand was getting a little bloated, so I just dumped all my CC in some folder somewhere and only copied the essentials over. Then again, I don't play TS4 so there are none.

As for TS3, I use Navetsea's excellent skins, they're realistic but still Maxis Match friendly to a degree. I'm not sure about the eyes but I use teeth replacements, eyebrow replacements, hair replacements, an HD mod, and high-res bump mapping which adds a slight roughness to the skin. Externally I also use Reshade which is relevant in the sense that it adds both glow and shade to the skin, makes it look a whole lot less artificial to say the least. I'll look it all up when I get home, I'm currently in some sort of conference room aboard a train. It's extremely neat (like flying business class, except it's free) but I wouldn't want to have any of my Sims installs with me.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 16th Oct 2018 at 10:04 PM
I played a lot of sims 4.. people giving TS4 10s might not be joking. just sayin. It was all I played for a good 2yrs (Sims game wise).

EDIT: I should add I gave it like a.. 7, I think.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 7:29 AM
Pi, face blindness (prosopagnosia) isn't about smart--it's about having a non-functioning-properly part of your brain, either from genetics or from injury. (I want someone to write a thriller using the injury kind as a plot point. I can't think of much more terrifying than not knowing whether the person you're looking at is supposed to be helping you or hunting you.) My "How I met my husband" story involves me thinking he was his brother. My husband and brother-in-law still think it's funny, seventeen years on. If you haven't, go to www.faceblind.org and look into it. You can get involved in studies. It's pretty neat what they're doing, but the only time I've ever dealt with test anxiety has been from the study I'm part of!

Peni, there's two sims in LGU--JoAnn and a dormie--who have the same hair style. I can't tell them apart. You know the sims I mean, I'm sure. Oh, it's JoAnn walking by, mouse over sim, nope, that's Not JoAnn.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#64 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 8:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by neontardis
EDIT: I should add I gave it like a.. 7, I think.

I think I gave it a 5 or 6. I did have some fun with it for a while and there were certainly some good ideas in there. But it just doesn't suit my play style at all. And I've got a few other gripes that would take a while to list.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 18th Oct 2018 at 11:17 PM
I'm another one who uses Maxis skins. Or to be more precise, my males have Maxis skins and my females have default replacement Maxis match ones, which are really just the standard Maxis ones with nipples added. (Because they look weird without nipples.) As long as they keep some of their clothes on, they look just like Maxis skins. I use low-resolution graphics for my game (cheap computer), and in real life I'm short sighted, so I'm used to seeing things in -- let's call it "soft focus". My main reason though for not using default replacement skins or eyes, is that they would change the appearance of Sims whom I already know and love.

The word faceblind is new to me, but I tend to recognise individuals (both Sims and real people) by a combination of hairstyle and clothing, rather than by facial features. In fact LGU student Hi Thyme is about the only Sim I think I would recognise by his face alone. Those who know him will recall that his facial features are -- ahem -- rather extreme! I used to be unable to tell Downtownie Ravi Bertino (better known as Patrick Teens) from Veronaville teen Mercutio Monty. But, since they sat opposite to each other at a table recently, I think I can now tell them apart after all. That's because Mercutio has an ENORMOUS nose!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#66 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 11:44 AM
Unrelated, face blindness is a thing? I think I sometimes have instances not recognizing/forgetting who the person is or the age. Makeup on a girl makes the situation even harder. Is it a disorder/syndrome?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Scholar
#67 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Unrelated, face blindness is a thing? I think I sometimes have instances not recognizing/forgetting who the person is or the age. Makeup on a girl makes the situation even harder. Is it a disorder/syndrome?

Yes, it is a disorder. I read an article on it, it does not sound easy to live with.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#68 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 8:21 PM
'Prosopagnosia, also called face blindness, is a cognitive disorder of face perception in which the ability to recognize familiar faces, including one's own face (self-recognition), is impaired, while other aspects of visual processing (e.g., object discrimination) and intellectual functioning (e.g., decisionmaking) remain intact. The term originally referred to a condition following acute brain damage (acquired prosopagnosia), but a congenital or developmental form of the disorder also exists, which may affect up to 2.5% of the United States population.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia
Forum Resident
#69 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 8:43 PM
I was surprised at how 4 ranked lower than 3. I really enjoy 4 actually, especially more than 3. I bought a few expansions/stuff packs when they were on sale. Maybe I didn't give 3 enough of a chance on my computer since I don't remember it running that well. I have a bunch of expansion packs I never used for it though... makes me sort of want to try them out at least now that I have a larger drive on my computer.
Top Secret Researcher
#70 Old 19th Oct 2018 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rarr
I was surprised at how 4 ranked lower than 3.

Wait till they release TS5. If EAtards keep the same business model TS5 will rank lower than TS4.
For the records, I gave TS4 a glorious 5; and I have mentioned before how my Niece, who is just a child, hated TS4 to the point I had had to buy her TS3.
Undead Molten Llama
#71 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
So I guess it's just business as usual letting modders fix their mess? Yeah I could take that as a valid answer.

With the issue of TS2 corruption....that's not it at all. Fact of the matter is that the whole "corruption" thing was discovered by players -- players who populated this very forum, in fact -- and, most importantly, it was discovered and fully figured-out only well after the game was out of production. Generally speaking, corruption mostly affects players who play neighborhoods long-term. (Yes, a corrupted neighborhood CAN explode very quickly, but generally you can play a corrupted neighborhood for months, even years, before it becomes unplayable.) EA didn't test anything for years, obviously, and I would bet that the average player doesn't play the same neighborhood for even weeks much less months or years. (Remember that none of us who post here, even in TS2's hey-day, were/are "average" players; we are all of us exceptional...and also in the grand scheme of things a very small minority. ) So for most players, corruption isn't an issue at all...which is why it was discovered and figured out by us weird, hard-core players who do regularly play the same neighborhood for months or years. But as I said, that discovery was made AFTER the game was out of production, so EA could do nothing about it.

So, they weren't "letting modders fix their mess" so much as A) "they had no idea there was mess" and B) "modders were at that point the only people who could fix it."

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#72 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix

The thing to remember is that disorders and syndromes, typically, are normal human experience amplified to the point where it impacts ability to cope in the world.

So, everybody gets the blues, but not everyone has clinical depression. Everyone has circumstances in which their ability to recognize and differentiate people fall apart; but not everyone has face blindness. Everyone feels (and is) picked-on sometimes, but not everyone is paranoid. I don't hear music the way other people do, but I'm not tone deaf. And so on.

If your problem with faces happens every day, or with every face, or often enough that it's interfering with work or personal life, look into it. If not, don't worry about it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#73 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
With the issue of TS2 corruption....that's not it at all. Fact of the matter is that the whole "corruption" thing was discovered by players -- players who populated this very forum, in fact -- and, most importantly, it was discovered and fully figured-out only well after the game was out of production. Generally speaking, corruption mostly affects players who play neighborhoods long-term. (Yes, a corrupted neighborhood CAN explode very quickly, but generally you can play a corrupted neighborhood for months, even years, before it becomes unplayable.) EA didn't test anything for years, obviously, and I would bet that the average player doesn't play the same neighborhood for even weeks much less months or years. (Remember that none of us who post here, even in TS2's hey-day, were/are "average" players; we are all of us exceptional...and also in the grand scheme of things a very small minority. ) So for most players, corruption isn't an issue at all...which is why it was discovered and figured out by us weird, hard-core players who do regularly play the same neighborhood for months or years. But as I said, that discovery was made AFTER the game was out of production, so EA could do nothing about it.

So, they weren't "letting modders fix their mess" so much as A) "they had no idea there was mess" and B) "modders were at that point the only people who could fix it."

Ah now that makes perfect sense now that you had explained that to me very clearly. Thank you very much.
Mad Poster
#74 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 6:53 PM
The one thing about face blindness is that there is no treatment. Reading about how others copes can help you figure out a way to cope.

But the biggest relief for me was knowing that it wasn't my fault: I wasn't too lazy to recognize people. I wasn't just failing at the repeating names trick, and it wasn't my fault. So if total strangers come up and start talking to you about your family in the grocery store, or give you a hug, and you know you're supposed to know them, and you've been told all your life that you're too lazy to bother with people and you're just rude, it's worth taking the test to set your mind at ease that it is NOT you being a bad person. And the researchers are trying to figure out effective therapy, so it feels good to participate in the study, but there is no treatment at this time.

(I still don't believe anyone can possibly pick out a criminal from a police line up. It's beyond the threshold of my experience, and I just can't believe it.)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Undead Molten Llama
#75 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
Ah now that makes perfect sense now that you had explained that to me very clearly. Thank you very much.

You're welcome.

Of course, I find it hard to believe that EA wouldn't be aware of things that cause game corruption, as opposed to neighborhood corruption. (Which I do believe they can largely be excused for.) Things like grand vamps being able to bite Crumplebottom. Or being able to make the "object" characters -- like Crumplebottom, the reaper, the therapist, etc. -- playable. They should have known that THOSE things would cause problems because those things affect the install files (the stuff in "Program Files" not "Documents"). I mean, it's easily noticeable that it does that, and it would be easily fixable by forcing that file, at least, to be read-only upon install, without people having to do that themselves. So of course there is sloppiness that EA can be blamed for and that, indeed, they should have fixed or at least made players aware of via, for instance, information on the official site, when that existed. But the neighborhood corruption stuff -- deleting Sims, moving occupied lots to the lot bin, installing downloaded occupied lots, etc. -- they couldn't really have known about that without extensive testing and then diagnostics...and then even if they'd figured it all out, to fully fix it might well require a complete retooling of the game. As in, removing it from the market, fixing it, and re-releasing it fixed. Which they obviously weren't going to do. So...yeah.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Page 3 of 4