Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 7:44 AM
Default Doorstep Babies
Do you think this type of mod would work? My idea is, at night time while everyone (aside from pets and object NPCs) is asleep, an elderly lady NPC may visit and ring the doorbell, and then drop off a 'special bundle.' This would sorta work like a nighttime version of Mr. Humble, but opening the package in this case would make a baby appear and put a few baby items into the inventory of whoever opened the package. An adult or elder can open the package and become the baby's parent.

Would it be possible to combine the genes of townies/NPCs to generate a baby? Or would the generated baby have to just be randomly generated like the average adoption pool child with a default zodiac personality? Because it would be nice to find a way to generate a baby outside of the tombstone of life and death that isn't the usual default personality. Still, if that part isn't possible, I would still like to test for a mod like that.

Also, would it be possible to make a teen adoptive parent version of the mod?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 9:23 AM
Well, there is a crib that produces a baby (by Chris Hatch I think) so it should be possible to do it via a dropped off box. There is also the puppy and kitten maker (Christianlov) and that opens a window so you can choose the parents, so again I don't see why that couldn't be done for a baby.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 1:50 AM
And would this be better as an object mod or a universal mod? Or something somewhat in between where the object is not always needed - like the ACR mod?

Either way, I think the controller should have a setting for when "Old Lady" appears and her likelyhood of appearing, and whether or not teens can open the bundle. Or maybe if a teen in the family opens the bundle, the baby or toddler becomes the teen's sibling. If the teen has no parents, the toddler will be an orphan as well.

There could also be a setting to decide if possible parents could be in the Townie, Service, or even Default households, but after the combo is made and the baby is generated, the parent would be removed from the family tree, and any memories for Townie or Service sims would be removed as well.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 2:08 AM
You would probably want something to trigger her visit the way the game does for the gipsy dropping off the lamp. That is triggered by hobby enthusiasm.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 3:09 AM
Hmm... maybe like a random visit trigger during the night - if a burglar doesn't appear first? Would that work? And maybe her visit could only be triggered if there are adult or elder sims in that family, the family has a certain number of kids or below, and the family is at a certain wealth level. I think the Old Lady might be an object NPC like Santa or Mr. Humble - would you recommend that?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 3:17 AM
I'm wondering if the game Gipsy could be used? Only that would mean no new NPC needed since once downloaded NPC's must be kept. I am just tossing out ideas. MSD or Gina would probably know. I'll see if they can come look at this thread.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 5:39 AM
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Well, there is a crib that produces a baby (by Chris Hatch I think) so it should be possible to do it via a dropped off box. There is also the puppy and kitten maker (Christianlov) and that opens a window so you can choose the parents, so again I don't see why that couldn't be done for a baby.
Do you have the mod? It sounds interesting and I want to try it for myself.

Are you a contestant on Papa Chet's Pizza Pandemonium?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 10:04 AM
If you look up orphanage under lots on here, a lot during this or last year used the baby crib. The puppy and kitten maker would be in Christianlov's archive I think. http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=8908.0

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 5:53 AM
http://modthesims.info/t/339558

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#12 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 4:26 PM
There is a mod for teens to adopt from social services, along with that one I use teens live alone. (sorry, terrible at remembering where things come from if I'm not in game) Maybe it could work for your idea? (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
http://modthesims.info/t/339558

The link in that post you linked me to is dead. Might try it again though. It just says the blog is private.

Edit: Found it in a different post linked in the post you linked me to. Heheh.

Also @Duine I'm looking for a doorstep baby mod or even just giving ideas for one if someone is interested in working on the mod. It's kinda for themed neighborhoods.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 28th Oct 2018 at 5:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chet R. Chase
Do you have the mod? It sounds interesting and I want to try it for myself.

Monique Create Baby With X Mod

http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...7&topic=62111.0
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 28th Oct 2018 at 9:35 PM
An interesting mod, though I was thinking more like combining DNA from two NPCs, and possibly making a selection of different genetics sets - possibly to avoid giving the Townies and Service sims a bunch of memories of having babies. Maybe a set of genetics that can be combined for creating doorstep babies or adoptees, so they don't have the default personalities. I want my adoptees to have varying personalities and some mixed skin, hair, and eye genetics, and perhaps even some occasional alien DNA.
Test Subject
#16 Old 30th Oct 2018 at 7:09 PM
Maybe having something on the lot that can allow the trigger? I know it would be cool for certain type stories or play styles, but I could also see it being irritating unless you have a desire for that lot. Maybe like a prison token type Mod.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 4:58 AM
Definitely a trigger object, sort of like the ACR controller. One you can spawn by clicking on the active sim.
Alchemist
#18 Old 3rd Nov 2018 at 12:00 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 3rd Nov 2018 at 12:16 PM.
Speaking as a player, not a creator, I think this is interesting. I have a sort of thing for Humble and his gifts as a story-telling device, and I've already been putting other things rather than computers in his gift box, so I like the gift box/basket idea. I had an idea earlier that a witch/gardener would grow and cure plantbabies. It would fit right in if she delivered babies, too. Oth, if I were generating sim babies to be abandoned that are supposed to be regular simbabies, I'd like the memories of townies and npcs to be generated as the baby's parents, for the sake of more story ideas. I keep the memories and family ties of my foster children in tact when they move into foster families (rather than adopting in) for the same reason, so maybe later in another story, they might be reunited with a sibling or genetic parent. I like the randomness and autonomous behavior that such memories and relationships can lead to.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Nov 2018 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Speaking as a player, not a creator, I think this is interesting. I have a sort of thing for Humble and his gifts as a story-telling device, and I've already been putting other things rather than computers in his gift box, so I like the gift box/basket idea. I had an idea earlier that a witch/gardener would grow and cure plantbabies. It would fit right in if she delivered babies, too. Oth, if I were generating sim babies to be abandoned that are supposed to be regular simbabies, I'd like the memories of townies and npcs to be generated as the baby's parents, for the sake of more story ideas. I keep the memories and family ties of my foster children in tact when they move into foster families (rather than adopting in) for the same reason, so maybe later in another story, they might be reunited with a sibling or genetic parent. I like the randomness and autonomous behavior that such memories and relationships can lead to.

I do agree with a lot of what you say, though for the part about townies having memories of having the baby... I don't think I'd really want that. I would like at least to hae an option to erase those memories and connections as soon as the baby is named. See, the townies don't age until they are made playable. That would be a problem. Unless there was an option to kinda vary townie ages depending on how many babies they had, their babies could end up being OLDER than they are and they could outlive their children. Though I would see some humour in let's say... a townie like Komei Tellerman getting lectured by his elder grandkid XD
Mad Poster
#20 Old 5th Nov 2018 at 8:14 AM
Would this help at all?

http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,7052.0.html

It seems to generate any sim, and can circumnavigate the pool of adoptable babies/kids.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
Would this help at all?

http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,7052.0.html

It seems to generate any sim, and can circumnavigate the pool of adoptable babies/kids.

I've been to that page before, actually, but thank you for posting it, as there may be others viewing this thread who are looking for something just like that.

Mainly what I'm looking for is a baby delivery. Basically, what I have mentioned in other posts in this thread. The doorstep baby would work for hoods set in the old days (like back when Saturday Night Live was funny and dinosaurs walked the earth and marshmallows were made from actual mallow plants) and if it would be too complicated to make a heterozygous adoptee, that's fine. It would just be nice for storytelling to have an old lady NPC - perhaps a no-touchie custom NPC visit the house at night while everyone is asleep. The trigger could be tuned, and perhaps the controller could be spawned, and be OFF or Inactive by default so you don't get visits unless you spawn the controller and specify how often the babies are delivered and to whom they are delivered.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 11:41 PM
Maybe something like the ogre adoption service (but perhaps refurbished to work in a more modern game) can be used as a base? There's probably some room for changes (like no pay and no fart contests)
http://modthesims.info/d/521770
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 12:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Maybe something like the ogre adoption service (but perhaps refurbished to work in a more modern game) can be used as a base? There's probably some room for changes (like no pay and no fart contests)
http://modthesims.info/d/521770

I've seen that! It's a hoot! But yeah, no pay, no fart contests, and no horn replacing. Could the trigger object be a rug that was made to look like a porch and doesn't have the static-shock prank feature? Or perhaps an invisible rug that has a space to put the bundle so your sims can open the door and pick it up.

For the scenario, I would like to see a feature that could tune the genetics for hair, skin, eyes, and gender depending on the region for storytelling purposes or just randomize everything. Another feature could be to favor certain seasons, and tune the chances for deliveries to singles, couples, families with many or few children, young or elder couples, or straight or gay couples. The family's worth in simoleons could also be a tuning factor.

A very important feature, however, would be to have the mod by default be turned off. I don't want it to be auto-on like ACR is - with that mod you have to be sure to specify whether certain features like autonomous romance are on or off or you might get a buncha people flirting with each other. It's cute until your teenage boy has his first kiss with one of the welcoming committee.

Police officer: Nnnnice!
Inventor
#24 Old 5th Dec 2018 at 7:30 PM
@JDacapo , I'm not sure if you saw it back when I posted it on the other thread, but I did do a bit of quick testing regarding how babies are generated via the adoption service: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...324#post5468324 . Perhaps it will help you out if you're still working on this.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 7:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Devon Aster
@JDacapo , I'm not sure if you saw it back when I posted it on the other thread, but I did do a bit of quick testing regarding how babies are generated via the adoption service: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...324#post5468324 . Perhaps it will help you out if you're still working on this.

I'm basically just throwing around ideas right now. Another idea I have would be one that shows a message stating the parents of the newly-generated baby. Like for instance, if a baby is created by combining Sim DNA of Komei Tellerman and Sophie Miguel, then it would show the info for the two parents. It'd be just some useful info. It'd also help in case you make any townies playable.

But anyway, thank you for this information. Very, very cool. It'd make for some very interesting doorstep babies, I bet :D