Replies: 1976 (Who?), Viewed: 101030 times.
Page 1 of 80
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 12:50 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 28th Nov 2018 at 2:57 PM.
Default General TS4 news (BG updates, development/management news, etc)
Cars are coming? *source required* Based on car presence in Get Famous expansion pack, but contradicted by Grants tweet. Might be debunked.
New simulation game? *source required* hinted by Simsvip article.
# reversed for: insert bits of news, teasers, etc here.

Update: 2018-11-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiabara
There's an official survey with like 8 questions and it's actually not on Twitter this time!
Link to forum post
Direct link to survey on Surveymonkey
Questions are how likely you would recommend the game, what the communication team does well, what they could improve, how you like Maxis Monthly etc.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Smeg Head
#2 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 1:03 PM
I agree. Don't see a long term, sustainable need for this camera angling. It sounds much like a pre-set Tab angle. Hitting the Tab key gives you the same, but this new thing would be a fixed Tab position. Great for particular screenshots, I guess. And the sim POV thing would, in my mind, be a backfiring mistake. As giving the camera over to a sim's POV would just extra highlight the sheer amount of time our sims stand around catatonic doing nothing. Not as if they are walking through an amusement park and jumping on rides and you want to experience the grandeur of the park you built from their point of view. They'll just be standing in the same spot for three hours, which a POV camera will only remind you that sims can stand in the same spot for three hours. POV TS4 - for why???

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Scholar
#3 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 1:11 PM
I'm been craving for this feature since TS2, it's just something different, and it might be interesting to see the world as they see it, imagine the camera wobbling left and right if your dazed or something, and you don't have to use it if you don't want to...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 1:11 PM
@coolspear1 Also, you might not get much immersion, then let's say If it were in TS2 that is known for very detail realistically stunning animations in somewhat countless scale (in comparison). TS4 is given the shame when it comes to cutting or skipping animation.

ETA read the other thread. Seems like it was developed by the developer that had (on) a spare time. So my feelings are mixed. I guess I don't mind it much really.

Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 1:41 PM
Not something I see myself using but I can’t complain since it was an engineers project in his free time. We’ve been given the low down that a lot of Sims developers don’t play Sims outside of work so I think it’s really cool to see a guru passionate enough about the game to tinker around with it and make stuff in his free time. Can we get more guru’s like this?
Forum Resident
#6 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 2:46 PM
I have no problem with it. Don't like it; then don't use it.
Instructor
#7 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 4:06 PM
I think it's kind of a hilarious feature, though it makes me feel a bit nauseous! People have asked for the feature, and an engineer took it upon themselves to implement it in his own time. More of this please.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 7th Nov 2018 at 5:43 PM
I want to add that the developers themselves NEVER over-hyped this feature. In fact, Kate labeled it as a "small but fun" feature before it was revealed. A couple youtubers are the ones who got the hype train rolling for some people!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 8:49 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 8th Nov 2018 at 12:01 PM.
I see. Well, good for peeps that been waiting or got astonished by the feature, while I care less as long where the time and budget were in exchange.

Test Subject
#10 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 9:32 AM
Want! Want! Want! Want! Want! For TS2 and TS3, though.
What they demoed in the stream looked awesome. It's exactly what I always wanted, to see my little worlds from the perspective of a Sim. I don't think I can put into words how much this wish means to me. I actually cried the first time I managed to make the free camera in TS3 work with a VR HMD. I bend over the crib with the newest member of the household and started crying when I saw the little fellow lying there, because I was so overwhelmed by the feeling of... being there. But then I quickly noticed that I was not actually all there. "I" was just a camera floating through their world. My Sims would not acknowledge my presence, I could not interact with them, I did not even show up in any mirrors. This looks like it fixes all of these problems. Except that it is for the wrong game. TS4 just lacks the magic that makes the world and its inhabitants feel real, at least for me. So, like always with TS4, I'll probably play around with it for half an hour and then forget it exists.
Alchemist
#11 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 12:35 PM
Anyone remember the "fisheye" cheat from the PlayStation 2 version of The Sims 1? That cheat was quite cool, but it was buggy and with that cheat active the player could not command their Sim to do anything. From my perspective a first-person mode is an interesting idea, but insn't a feature that I can see will be popular with the average user.

If they're going to invest resources into adding new controls to the game, I'd suggest implementing an improved xInput (Gamepad) API version of the "Direct Control" which was featured in The Sims 2 console adaptions.

"Towards the end of any culture, you have the second or third generation that steps into the culture, which is so far from the origination, it's the impression of what's real, but it's not the full definition of what's real. It's just cheesy." - Lyle Owerko
One Minute Ninja'd
#12 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 1:58 PM
Imagine the view from a toddler.
Alchemist
#13 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 9:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskie227
Imagine the view from a toddler.

Inb4 Better Bouncing Breasts mod.

"Towards the end of any culture, you have the second or third generation that steps into the culture, which is so far from the origination, it's the impression of what's real, but it's not the full definition of what's real. It's just cheesy." - Lyle Owerko
Field Researcher
#15 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 12:45 PM
So how do you think, what to do easier: penguins for Sims 2 or first person mode for Sims 4?
Forum Resident
#16 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 12:58 PM
The biggest problem with this first person mode is that the camera shakes waaaaay too much. I think it's following the movement of the head somehow (even though the head is removed when you switch to this mode), but it doesn't really work. I can't watch 10 seconds of a VIDEO showing first person mode without getting motion sickness, so I can't imagine how awful it must be in-game. They shoud've allowed player to control head movement with the mouse like in most first person games and make the camera static unless the player moves it themselves.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 8:43 PM
You can take control of the head any time you want by moving the mouse. If you leave the mouse alone, it then slowly snaps back and follows the sim's line of sight/ head position. I don't think the head is 'removed' so much as made invisible, so it is indeed following the head position. I prefer that it follows the Sim's head position automatically.

Initially, I was angry/annoyed over the FP addition. Seemed like a waste of resources when there were so many other things the game needs to have added, fixed and tweaked.
However, if this was a sideline passion/fun project by one or two gurus and play-tested/ looked over by a few of their peers before reveal? There's nothing really to be angry about. Some people will be entertained and have a use for it - and others will not.
I just would prefer some of the devs/gurus would take up some of the things we actually want/need as a passion project. But nobody uses their (possibly unpaid) free time to work on something they don't want to, or that isn't fun to them. So be it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 13th Nov 2018 at 3:13 PM
1st person mode charm won't last long unless they start putting energy into making things render in it, such as hollow head of the sim or hand. Even that one dev who was passionated about it shouldn't straight out drop it. It would then be a(n unfinished) feature, and just anything goes with TS4, made and left all for nothing. Put out an update or two along with the rest of the patch.

Scholar
#19 Old 13th Nov 2018 at 4:27 PM
Default I need to ask stupid questions... for a friend.
How do I get this POV update or make it work?
I updated the game from Origin, and it says it's up to date.

Sims are better than us.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 13th Nov 2018 at 4:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett Brown
How do I get this POV update or make it work?
I updated the game from Origin, and it says it's up to date.
The patch will roll out at 10 am Pacific Time (in ~ 90 minutes). Then you need to update your game and in-game the new first person mode should be available by hitting shift + tab.
Scholar
#21 Old 13th Nov 2018 at 4:45 PM
Quote:
The patch will roll out at 10 am Pacific Time (in ~ 90 minutes). Then you need to update your game and in-game the new first person mode should be available by hitting shift + tab.

I.... got a time machine. See you in the future.

Sims are better than us.
Instructor
#22 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 8:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Cars are coming? *source required* Based on car presence in Get Famous expansion pack, but contradicted by Grants tweet. Might be debunked.

What are your thoughts?

I didnt pay a lot of attention,but lately I have discovered parked cars in most older hoods. We always had them, they just put more of them in DSV. I dont think it means a thing except parked cars add a sense of cute hyper-realism, as usual in TS4.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Forum Resident
#23 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 2:06 PM
There's an official survey with like 8 questions and it's actually not on Twitter this time!
Link to forum post
Direct link to survey on Surveymonkey
Questions are how likely you would recommend the game, what the communication team does well, what they could improve, how you like Maxis Monthly etc.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 1:11 PM
Quote:
So, another problem with decade packs: it's tough to have them match the rest of the game. We always want you to be able to mix and match the catalog. If we do something from 1150, 1920, or 2722, and it doesn't match ANYTHING, well, it's not fun for you to use.
https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...292240802381824

*bangs pots and pans together* Stop telling us what's fun for us! We can decide for ourselves! And if you want us to "mix and match" then start using the same brown, black and white colors!
Field Researcher
#25 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 1:19 PM
Quote:
https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/st...292240802381824

*bangs pots and pans together* Stop telling us what's fun for us! We can decide for ourselves! And if you want us to "mix and match" then start using the same brown, black and white colors!

Maybe someone should suggest they charge money for the really niche styles and color palets in order to provide the player with a sense of pride and accomplishment, thereby increasing the fun factor.
Page 1 of 80