Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 2:07 PM Last edited by fluttereyes : 8th Nov 2018 at 2:17 PM.
Default Lost Folder for world
Hard to put a title for this one so here is what has happened:

I just built a world and it was a fail when I got into a few days of game play, I wanted to redo the world removing the bridge that is causing most of the issues. In order that I can do that I need to be able to build a road across the river instead.

So I opened CAW and tried to open my world backups, which I always have. I have backups for worlds going back years, but this one world I've just built, for some reason, has no backup, I know I had them as I back up files at the end of every session and I never delete old backups when CAW asks me to. In the folder in user tool data that contains worlds I always make a folder with the world name and backup, then when CAW starts asking me do I want to delete backups I say no then cut and paste all backups to that folder. In one way or another my entire folder for that world is gone. I tried Recuva but it gives me just files but no sub folders and that is what I need. I tried to open a world file I managed to recover but without the folders for layers and lots I'm unable to open it. This is not an exported world file but the actual original ones from CAW. Tried to open it in S3PE too and that was unable to open it.

I tried opening the exported world file as we did with the Bridgeport ones a long time ago, that failed too. I should add that this world was made on a medium flat map at 33 height, not sure if that makes a difference when trying it with the large flat map to re-open in S3PE Does anyone have any ideas that I could try?
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#2 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 2:44 PM
continuing to try, made large flat map and did the import with S3PE, delete WPID, then save, tried to open in CAW and it said it couldn't open a packed file. I'll keep trying but if someone can think of anything I'd appreciate it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 2:58 PM
Tried with a medium flat map instead of large, due to it being a medium world, got this error message, same as the one with the large flat map

Could not open package Miway Village.world.
Expected magic tag 'DBPF'. Found 'DBPP'.

I click ignore and it goes on but doesn't import the world file
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 3:48 PM
Finally got some results from recuva, got world files as well as folders, now CAW says it's a packed file and it can't open it. These are all straight from backups made by CAW
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 4:15 PM
and when I just try to open the installed world file in S3PE I get this

Could not open package:
C:\Users\April\Desktop\Miway Village\Miway Village.world

This file does not contain the expected package identifier in the header.
This could be because it is a protected package (e.g. a Store item), a Sims3Pack or some other random file.

---
Error message:
Expected magic tag 'DBPF'. Found 'DBPP'.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 5:43 PM
OK normally I would delete a thread where I've been talking to myself but I've solved this issue and I'll leave this here in case anyone is looking for the same answer.

Firstly, when you recover a world file with recuva it gets borked, to fix that I downloaded the recompressor (S3rc) from this thread http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,15129.0.html drag and drop said borked world file onto S3rc and let it do its thing. Then I went for the normal method for editing premade worlds http://modthesims.info/t/469942

I was able to open it in S3PE with no issues and have since opened it in CAW again with no issues, except that I forgot to install the CC first, I've opened it in EIG and can treat it as I did when I first built it.

I hope you never need this but to save you a full day like I had I'll leave this here and hope it helps someone in the future.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 9:00 PM
Well done! Glad you got it fixed.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Nov 2018 at 1:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Well done! Glad you got it fixed.

Lol, you were too slow, I was hoping you'd pop in. Can't believe I accidentally deleted it when I have worlds going back to 2013 and 14

Just wondering if you would know this. I want to use the shells from university as rabbit holes for my new world maybe using rabbit hole rugs, do you know if the shells themselves have their purpose coded to them or if they work just like apartment?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 1:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
Lol, you were too slow,

Sorry but I have no idea about University shells, I never got that EP.
dodgy builder
#10 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 1:38 PM

Sorry but I have no idea about University shells, I never got that EP.

Ha, something you don't know I was looking for that.

I just looked at the wayback Machine with Luna's page, and I can see the picks now, too bad the files still don't follow.

@fluttereyes, I have the exp, but couldn't care less about the shells. Have you tried in the modder forum, if people still are there? Coding is their baby after all.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Ha, something you don't know I was looking for that.

There's lots I don't know, I mean I've never been too good at rocket science but I know all the important things like how to grow carrots in the Sims.

I don't have Into The Future either- so no idea about that one also.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 5:20 AM Last edited by daisylee : 11th Nov 2018 at 5:32 AM.
I am glad it is working now, but my question, as curious, is why you would use/need a backup in the first place and not your current file, change to another bridge or make whatever changes, and then just do a save or save as? I had problems with a bridge in one world so just replaced it with another. Never used a backup. I may be missing something here.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 1:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I am glad it is working now, but my question, as curious, is why you would use/need a backup in the first place and not your current file, change to another bridge or make whatever changes, and then just do a save or save as? I had problems with a bridge in one world so just replaced it with another. Never used a backup. I may be missing something here.

Maybe because you can't use an exported world and to get my actual CAW world file I had to get it from my backup folder where it lives.
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 1:49 PM
There's lots I don't know, I mean I've never been too good at rocket science but I know all the important things like how to grow carrots in the Sims.

I don't have Into The Future either- so no idea about that one also.

Ok on the subject of using those shells, the answer to this question is YES, you can use university shells with rabbit hole rugs and doors. The actual bonus you get is that you also still get the interactions with the shell too. The option to take all of the university classes in the buildings comes up and I tried and you can do it. Surprised nobody has tried this before. Just in case anyone ever asks you in the future, not into the future just next time someone asks.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
Maybe because you can't use an exported world and to get my actual CAW world file I had to get it from my backup folder where it lives.

I am not sure what you are doing but I have never had to use a backup to alter a world file in CAW whether exported or not? I have exported worlds to look at something and then gone back and changed the world in CAW more times than I can count.

I have done worlds in CAW since released and have used a backup maybe 3 times. Once or twice for a world that was corrupted and once to go back prior to some changes.

But if it works for you to use them all the time ....
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Dec 2019 at 10:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I am not sure what you are doing but I have never had to use a backup to alter a world file in CAW whether exported or not? I have exported worlds to look at something and then gone back and changed the world in CAW more times than I can count.

I have done worlds in CAW since released and have used a backup maybe 3 times. Once or twice for a world that was corrupted and once to go back prior to some changes.

But if it works for you to use them all the time ....

Backup, this is a folder you keep somewhere else with all your old CAW files after you export, when you think your world is complete, I deleted mine by accident and had to find it. I really wish I'd seen this at the time.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 23rd Dec 2019 at 7:03 AM
Yikes, this is over a year old. When you said backup I was assuming you meant the backups in the user section of CAW. Not a folder/place outside the program. We all do that for many things.

And every time CAW asks me if I want to delete the older backups I say yes. I keep 3-4 for each world and that is it. And I use save as when I make major changes or have done quite a lot.