Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 10:40 PM Last edited by UTCSimers : 9th Aug 2019 at 10:58 PM.
Island Living Mermaids...what am I doing wrong?
I have had the expansion since it came out and I have logged an embarrassing amount of hours playing and have YET to catch a glimpse of a mermaid. I have become friends with many sims on the island made them best friends, romantic relationships, asked them to move in... and I have asked the dreaded "are you a mermaid" to them and every single one says "no why would you ask me that?" and I get the -friend sign. I really want to do this without using a cheat/mod or creating my own but I just can't figure it out! Google is no help, I found videos on how to CAS a mermaid, and the trailers. I have found site after site explaining that you CAN find them, and that there is a secret something or other it but no step by step instructions on who, what, when, where. I have done and completed the conservation career (marine and environmental) and I am at level 6 diver....

Please help me without giving too many spoilers if at all possible I just need a nudge in the right direction lol
TYIA for any help you can give!
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 11:59 PM
Try blowing the "ordinary" conch nearby potential mermaids.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 12:29 AM
I have blown more conch than legally possible....just kidding. I have however blown the conch every where I go, and any time a sim is at my home. The sims don't even so much as look my way. Do they have to be close by? maybe I am just not close enough? Also, do they react if they are in the water because I have blown it on the shore with Sims in the water and no one reacted. I am beginning to think my game is broken
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 12:35 AM
Have you checked Carl's Guide?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Inventor
#5 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by UTCSimers
I have blown more conch than legally possible....just kidding. I have however blown the conch every where I go, and any time a sim is at my home. The sims don't even so much as look my way. Do they have to be close by? maybe I am just not close enough? Also, do they react if they are in the water because I have blown it on the shore with Sims in the water and no one reacted. I am beginning to think my game is broken

If you've blown the conch near any mermaid, they should come closer to the sim which used the conch and make weird sounds
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Have you checked Carl's Guide?

I did read the guide and watched the video which showed me more than I wanted to see (I wanted to figure it all out myself) while I was searching for an answer before posting here.

Maybe I am missing something? I was under the impression that the mer-people were living around the island and you could figure out who was a mer-person kinda like the Aliens... and isn't there like a hidden area (I am petty sure I read that someplace)?

maybe I have been on a wild goose chase and the creators didn't make any NPC mer-folk?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 1:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Anhaeyn
If you've blown the conch near any mermaid, they should come closer to the sim which used the conch and make weird sounds

OH I have not seen this yet and now I am even more intrigued! I will just keep trying I guess... I have literally been cheating my motives just to hunt for these mer-people! eventually my real life Husband is gonna grow tired of being ignored while I hunt for my fictitious obsession lol
Scholar
#8 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 2:08 AM
I wanted to meet a mermaid than creating my own, but I never had any luck in bumping into one, but you don't have to have to cheat to be a mermaid, all you need is just 500 Reward points and there is a potion named Mermadic Kelp you may buy and you just drink it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 4:00 AM
I FINALLY FOUND ONE!!!

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what I was doing wrong/missing/overlooking. When I installed Island Living I was playing with my favorite Sim so I packed her up and moved her to paradise and just kept playing like normal. Not having seen more than 2 of the sims from the "box" I got to wondering if this was a cache issue. I decided to go in and delete the .cache files, and localthumbscache.package restarted my game and BAM! there's Nalani (the one from the trailer) so I blew my conch and the rest is history....or rather the rest is me having no idea what to do now...but at least I am on the right track finally!!!!!!!

Huge thank you to all that helped me!!! and I hope that maybe this might help someone else in the future!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 4:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
I wanted to meet a mermaid than creating my own, but I never had any luck in bumping into one, but you don't have to have to cheat to be a mermaid, all you need is just 500 Reward points and there is a potion named Mermadic Kelp you may buy and you just drink it.

Try deleting the .cache files (NOT DIRECTORY) and the localthumbscache.package . It fixed my issue in a matter of a reset!
I wanted to meet a Mermaid and not become a Mermaid myself (this may change once I figure out all the ins and outs) as I don't have Seasons....this may change now that I know what can be done with that pack and this one together. I am from the Midwest....I get enough snow and rain in real life! I was super excited for Island living though ( Island Paradise and World Adventures are my favorite Sims 3 expansions). Jungle Adventures was a bit of a disappointment, but so far I have not been disappointed at ALL with Island Living!!!

ok off to learn more!!! :lovestruc