Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2020 at 10:05 PM
Default Pls help me find information on updating CC
Hello! I have some experience with modding and have created a career for TS2 in the past, so I'm not a total newbie. I just say it so that you won't feel horrified at having to explain too much to me I really just need some bits of info and I'll figure out the rest.

What I'm looking for is information on how to update careers, traits, and aspirations. These CC are my favorite types of CC and there are so many of those floating around, however, most aren't updated. People I asked said that non-updated CC of these particular types often break the game. Some of their authors haven't been online for a long time, so I'm looking for a way to quickly update custom careers, traits, and aspirations on my own. No authorship breach, of course: I'm going to use the updated versions privately. (Or, only and only if that's allowed, I could attach updated versions in the authors' download threads, because other simmers are probably sad they can't use these CC anymore).

I guess what I need to know is 1) which tools are used to create these types of CC (careers, traits, aspirations); and 2) some pointers to information on how to use them to update these CC. Thank you beforehand!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 18th May 2020 at 11:16 PM
Careers, traits, etc. are all created with Mod Constructor (also careers through Create-A-Career by Neia), which there is no way to import files into. So, you have to update by hand using Sims4Studio. You should download Sims4Studio, TDESCs and TDESC Browser, and open an EA trait, etc. and compare the files to see what might be missing/broken in the files.

Sims4Studio: http://sims4studio.com/board/6/down...io-open-version
Latest TDESCs: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...3-tdescs#latest
TDESC Browser: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?&t=618199
How to Update Mods (generalized, but gives you an idea of what to look for): https://simsvip.com/2016/06/27/crea...-updating-mods/

Depending on how old the mod is, it might be better to re-create anything done before 2019.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th May 2020 at 6:31 AM
A stupid question: if Mod Constructor doesn't have a way to import files into, how do creators edit their own careers and other mods they've created? Say, someone has found a bug, and now they need to fix it...? Or better yet, during testing they've found a bug: do they rewrite the whole thing from scratch? (At least I assume not everyone is comfortable using S4S, hence why other tools exist)
Field Researcher
#4 Old 19th May 2020 at 2:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
A stupid question: if Mod Constructor doesn't have a way to import files into, how do creators edit their own careers and other mods they've created? Say, someone has found a bug, and now they need to fix it...? Or better yet, during testing they've found a bug: do they rewrite the whole thing from scratch? (At least I assume not everyone is comfortable using S4S, hence why other tools exist)

Mod Constructor stores the project files in it's own folder and in it's own format, so all the creator has to do is just open MC, select the project, make a change, then export as a .package again. But Mod Constructor does not recognize .package files, so if you lose your computer, or the files in a crash, or someone like you wanting to update after the original creator is gone, there is no way to use the .package and it must be restarted or dealt with by hand from there on out.

Mod Constructor is a useful tool because it allows quick creation of time consuming mods like careers, etc. All you have to do is fill in the data, check boxes, use dropdown menus, etc. S4S requires you to do it by hand, which means research, copy/pasting code, etc. and is tedious. So MC simply makes it easy and also more approachable for people not comfortable with code (which is why we have so many careers/traits/etc. but not a lot of anything else). But MC does have it's drawbacks since the creator rarely updates it anymore and only for really bad bugs from changes during patches.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon