Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th May 2020 at 12:53 PM
Default Hilary (American 50's Housewife)
Hi, I thought I should return to making a couple of female Sims, even though for some reason I can't get them right, and I thought it would be a good challenge to go for a certain aesthetic, hence this Sim who's meant to be a housewife from the 50's. I'm looking for feedback on the face and wardrobe. Thanks.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#2 Old 25th May 2020 at 2:14 PM
I think this looks like a great sim!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th May 2020 at 10:22 PM
I'm not an expert just because I've seen Mad Men twice, but do keep in mind that what we nowadays consider the stereotypical 50s is actually the early 1960s. Take a look at some 1940s fashion and see if you can find a middle ground between this and that. Then you'll have your 50s housewife.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th May 2020 at 10:56 PM Last edited by daisylee : 26th May 2020 at 12:44 AM.
50s housewives did not wear dresses or skirts at home as a general rule. They wore to go "out" per se or for special days/dinners/events/whatever, Day to day wear was usually slacks/pants in winter and shorts in warm weather. It was only on TV that they wore the dresses almost all the time. And those skirt silhouettes are not typical 50s, but I know you can only use what you have.

As for her face, cannot comment as there is no look as there were millions of them, tens of millions. You cannot generalize what an entire nation of women look like.

As said, in some ways she looks more 40s. Also, straight skirts were worn a lot. The big full skirts were mostly for show/models as needed ridiculous petticoats/slips. Straight skirts were easy to wear, sit, drive, do everything, if had stretch to them.

As always do the Sim you want to do.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th May 2020 at 5:14 AM
Okay I have taken a look and modified her everyday and formalwear. Hmmm I'm not sure if the pants work.
As for her face, I'm just asking if it's unique and doesn't have any pudding.
Screenshots
Theorist
#6 Old 26th May 2020 at 2:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WatermelonSandal
Hmmm I'm not sure if the pants work.
Don't you think pants were a symbol of woman imansipation that time? Since pants were original wardrobe item of men. Housewife is calm and homey, that far from revolt, and dress suits her character better I guess.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 26th May 2020 at 4:50 PM
Pants work. I'm just not sure if these do. As for that dress, it's very short. But I'm definitely getting the right sort of vibe. Maybe desaturate the colours a little, I don't know.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#8 Old 26th May 2020 at 5:50 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 26th May 2020 at 6:06 PM. Reason: 100 year evolution
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Pants work.

You mean something like this?

My opinion: most of ads in 50's represent housewifes as woman in apron dress. For real like - yes. Pants would be better for daily duties. But there is no any talk about comfort when you make for sims, cause they would wear everything you put on them. So again. That's just my opinion

There is a good set of videos in youtube called "100 year evolution of style". It has also different niche variants like "100 years evolution of lingerie", "100 years evolution of swimsuits" etc. Think you could inspired by them
This one about trousers:

Hope you'll be inspired.
Regards. Vic.
Screenshots

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 26th May 2020 at 10:19 PM
It depends on whether you want to do stereotypes are what many actual housewives wore. Also in mid 50s many wore short hair, and in some cases very short.

And that is not formalwear. Something maybe worn over a swimsuit at a pool.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th May 2020 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
It depends on whether you want to do stereotypes are what many actual housewives wore. Also in mid 50s many wore short hair, and in some cases very short.

And that is not formalwear. Something maybe worn over a swimsuit at a pool.

At this point idek anymore.

I will take a look at the everyday and formalwear closer in the morning. I've downloaded some cigarette pants that I think might looks good.

But I think the hair works quite well.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 26th May 2020 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
There is a good set of videos in youtube called "100 year evolution of style". It has also different niche variants like "100 years evolution of lingerie", "100 years evolution of swimsuits" etc. Think you could inspired by them

YouTube is littered with those videos from all sorts of blogs and magazines who think they can put together a good compilation, but almost all of them get it oh so wrong.
Try this one for a different perspective on what actual people actually looked like. Ads are cute, and our Sims do largely live in a perfect little world created by designers and ad men, but realistic it is not.

Also, Safiya Nygaard's series on women's fashion through the decades. She actually does research and stuff, so the result is often a lot more informed.
(playlist link)

insert signature here
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#12 Old 26th May 2020 at 11:59 PM
Karolina Żebrowska who made that Real Women video also has a video on '50s fashion which goes into fashion actually worn vs stereotypes if you want to check it out
Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th May 2020 at 12:11 AM
Find family photos if you have them or google photos of stars of the 50s and some were photographed at home. I have just gone through over 2000 family slides that show exactly what housewives wore at that time. Yes, movies, TV, ads are usually not accurate. But again, if you want to have a 50s look, eg. poodle skirt, that is one thing vs, trying to do an actual depiction of folks in the real world.
Theorist
#14 Old 27th May 2020 at 12:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
Karolina Żebrowska who made that Real Women video also has a video on '50s fashion which goes into fashion actually worn vs stereotypes if you want to check it out

@zoe22 link please. I can't find it.
Regards. Vic ^_^

Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#15 Old 27th May 2020 at 1:58 PM
Here ya go @Victor_tor
https://youtu.be/o6F_kHN6lyA
Mad Poster
#16 Old 27th May 2020 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
Here ya go @Victor_tor
https://youtu.be/o6F_kHN6lyA

Thank you for that link. I just skipped through that a bit and want to totally watch later. I did notice she talked about the short hair as I said above. From what little I saw it looked pretty accurate. And saw she talked about straight skirts and that the full skirts were not the norm as I did.

As said, talk to the many people of that time who are still alive. Look at family photos.

Could tell you all a somewhat similar example of people guessing what folks did rather than just asking the folks who did it, but will not go there as off topic.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 5:24 PM
I think she looks great! I love the comfy pjs you gave her since the stereotypical 50s housewives is usually imagined dressing chic for bed too, satin nighties, lingerie etc. I love that she's just dressing comfy, like the majority of us. :D