Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: Part Flesh Part Machine

by bootsbrisket Posted 22nd May 2005 at 12:21 PM

54 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 51 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 22nd May 2005 at 12:26 PM
wow, thats... strange!!
Test Subject
#3 Old 22nd May 2005 at 1:19 PM
dude
that roks
Field Researcher
#4 Old 22nd May 2005 at 1:20 PM
Strange indeed.. but cool... looks like you worked hard.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 22nd May 2005 at 1:53 PM
This is awesome. One question have you gotten a female simmie pregnant with him yet? If so do the babies look like him? Great job
Instructor
#6 Old 22nd May 2005 at 1:56 PM
I'm in love with your imagination... Just found a use for Veronaville.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 22nd May 2005 at 3:11 PM
Wicked! This is so cool looking! Thanks!

For long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be

Lab Assistant
#8 Old 22nd May 2005 at 4:06 PM
Awesome, thank you. ^_^
Test Subject
#9 Old 23rd May 2005 at 1:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jellybeanluver
This is awesome. One question have you gotten a female simmie pregnant with him yet? If so do the babies look like him? Great job

If this is limited to adult males, you would have to wait till the male child reached adult stage to notice it, but I'm sure there would be some anomolies that would show up in other stages and for females.

"Geeez ... would it kill them to stab eachother? ... Oh ... hehe ... I guess it would!" ~ A Mad Sim Programmer trying to overcome a program error ... lol
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd May 2005 at 3:25 PM
Default About Sims Bodies . . .
As far as the game is concerned, this mesh is an article of clothing for an adult male. Clothing is specific to a gender and an age, so therefore females and other ages can't wear this "outfit." And since it is an "outfit," it doesn't affect genetics any more than a tuxedo or underwear would.
Why didn't I make it a body type, you ask? Because there is no way to make it a genetic body type without affecting ALL the Sims of that age and gender. Basically, all Sims share universal body shapes - only the skin tones can be made unique. Faces are the only "shapes" that can be genetically unique and passed along through generations.
By the way, this body mesh was modeled and textured from scratch. I wanted to see if I could create a full mesh that shared no vertices in common with any Maxis mesh (except for the face.) Care was taken to keep the polygon count as low as possible. Please let me know if it works O.K. in your game. Thanks.
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd May 2005 at 7:11 PM
:werd: but cool
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 24th May 2005 at 5:48 PM
This is deeply disturbing...but in a good way.
Test Subject
#13 Old 24th May 2005 at 6:39 PM
This looks extremely strange, I think, but technically very well done (especially the mesh - must be hard work!).
I might try this out for one family.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 24th May 2005 at 7:24 PM
Default HOw?
I have searched High and Low for a tutorial on how to edit the mesh of a persons head. Its so complicated, sinse they are so customisable, you can't 'install' a custom head, Can you? Either way, a little explanation or link to a tut would be gr8. Thanks!

The sims 2 Rockin' The Road Content Pack: www.sims2rockintheroad.tk
OR:
Sims 2 Rockin The Road Alt Url
Project Manager
As featured on CNN, NBC and Wired, click this link for a free Ipod!!! Dont be one of the skeptics that misses out, join in the craze!http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=8571212
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 25th May 2005 at 5:17 AM
chrisnjosh - I don't know of any way to edit a head. What I did here was I just added accesories for the head to the body mesh, and assigned those to the body mesh's head bone. The face was arrived at in the usual manner. The non-existant scalp is a hair mesh consisting of one polygon hidden behind the face.
In the case of the giant baby costume I posted, the baby head is just a shell large enough to contain the Sim's real head underneath. Again the vertices in the baby's head were assigned to the body mesh's head bone.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 25th May 2005 at 12:54 PM
So when you create a hair mesh that protrudes Below the normal head mesh, it creates an indent?
The reason I ask Is because I wish to create movie costumes for my mod, and things like a Darth Vader Helmet would look impressive.
Thanks for the reply btw.
#17 Old 25th May 2005 at 1:38 PM
Wow this is cool. I love your work Bootsbrisket. Any chance of you doing a gas mask head accessory thing?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 25th May 2005 at 1:44 PM
chrisnjosh - No. A Sim head is composed of two things - a hair mesh and a face mesh. Even when the Sim is bald, the bare scalp is a hair mesh. Everything from the temples up and behind the ears is a seperate mesh. In this case I made the hair mesh virtually non existent. If you open up Body Shop and assign the non-existant scalp mesh to a new normal Sim, you'll see that the top and back of the head simply isn't there. The mechanical stuff you see on the back of the head here actually belongs to the body mesh. The body mesh has a bone (the thing that controls movement) for the head, even though the body mesh doesn't include any head parts. I assigned the mechanical stuff to that bone so it would move along with the face. Whew. Hope that was understandable.
For a Darth Vader helmet, I would simply make a "hair" mesh that is really the whole entire Darth Vader head, and make the face part of the helmet just big enough to hide the Sim's real face underneath it. I think that would be the simplest way to go about it.
Another way, if you want the Sims to be able to change from Darth Vader back into his normal self by changing clothes, is to include the Darth Vader helmet mesh in the Dark Vader body mesh. This time make the Helmet big enough to conceal both the hair and face of the normal Sim, and assign the vertices of the helmet to the head bone of the body mesh. You can disect the giant baby costume to see how I did it. Look at the texture map, too, to see how I included the baby face texture with the body texture.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 25th May 2005 at 11:47 PM
this is so incredibly awesome - thanks a million for sharing it
Forum Resident
#20 Old 25th May 2005 at 11:58 PM
ok,ermmmm. This is something I would never would like to be lock in a room with, this is sick in such a fun way lol perfect for a scary movie. great job!
Instructor
#21 Old 27th May 2005 at 1:40 AM
*gasp*
I...I think I love you, bootsbrisket. I've been wanting to make a house inspired by Cyberpunky things (like Philip k Dick, Bladerunner, Ghost in The Shell, William Gibson, Blame and that sort of thing) and this guy is amazing! Please, please consider making more.
Test Subject
#22 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 6:43 AM
WOW! Hey! This one would be perfect for making those creepy demon creatures from hell on the movie Constatine!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 12:21 PM
I don't think I will really have a use for this in my game, but it is excellent work nonetheless. Very good job.

Is the glass half empty or half full? Who cares when the glass is broken.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 12:27 PM
you are a master of cool skins boots! thanks!
Field Researcher
#25 Old 5th Jun 2005 at 7:20 AM
seriously it gave me chills...love it
Page 1 of 3