Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Locked thread | Replies: 49 (Who?), Viewed: 35672 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorial: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=103082[/url]
Page 2 of 2
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
Original Poster
#26 Old 30th May 2005 at 7:54 PM
Poo! I hope it's not disagreeing with the Group that i put the text lists file into. Let me recheck the ones I made.
Original Poster
#27 Old 30th May 2005 at 8:18 PM
OK, it is a problem with the group or the instance of the "text strings" file. I think that the text strings file is required to be a particular Instance.

So I fixed mine by doing the following:
Select this Texts Lists file and in Packed File view, copy the Instance and paste into the Group. Then change the Instance to 0x7B and commit.

Then go into the Roof XML file.
Find the line for "resourceid" and copy that value. Use it to replace the value for the "stringsetgroupid" line.

The next line under that is "stringsetid". Change the value to 123. It seems like this may be the only value that can work on this line.

I'll make these corrections to the tutorial. Sorry about these problems. SimPE has changed since I started doing this, and with the one feature not working I have to improvise around it.

RG
Test Subject
#28 Old 30th May 2005 at 8:36 PM
Thanks so much, RGiles. I've been trying to work this out for myself and overheating my brain cell :confused:

You're very welcome to visit my Sims sites
After Midnight Sims
After Midnight Sims 2
If the apocalypse comes, beep me
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 30th May 2005 at 10:59 PM
Thank you once again, RGiles, it works now I have 8 new roofs now. Thanks again for this great tutorial. By the way, is there a roof mesh we can extract somehow? See I have extracted most of the maxis default meshes and put them into Bryce, just to use for checking texture maps. It's a lot easier than loading the game sometimes
Original Poster
#30 Old 30th May 2005 at 11:10 PM
Tell you the truth, I haven't even looked for the roof geometry. I expect it's a very complicated set of geomtries, each one used only in certain conditions depending on the shape of the roof. Some of them respond to bump maps and some of them do not, so I'm sure that they can't all be a part of the same file.

It seems to me that some of the default construction materials are hard-coded into the game or at least are not located with the other geomtries. This seems to be the case with the default floor tile object which I can't find anywhere, but I'm not sure about the roof.
Test Subject
#31 Old 31st May 2005 at 6:48 PM
Thanks a lot RGiles for the tutorial and the base file. That's a good adition to the game.

Marina
Test Subject
#32 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 3:52 PM
I don't know how to thank you adequately, RGiles! Great tutorial.

-ABE- from Japan
Field Researcher
#33 Old 4th Jun 2005 at 4:53 AM
Wonderful! I've been wanting to do this for a while :D

Now to try doing a thatch roof! (I'm a looney)

Kiri
Original Poster
#35 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 1:19 AM
Hahaha. If I really banned Numenor, you'd know because the sky would start falling.
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
#36 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 9:03 AM
LOL! If RGiles should ban a member for having asked a question before trying to get an answer by himself (like I have done in my post), RG would be uglier then Cerberus and MTS2 would have 1/10 of its current members :D

"No, RGiles, don't roar that loud! You'll wake the whole neighborhood! Sit down!"

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#37 Old 28th Jun 2005 at 4:30 PM
Thanks so much for this great tutorial!!!

I have made several roofs and it seems that there is a limit to what will show in game. I've made 8 new roofs and 2 of them will not show, however, they were there prior to my second set being added. Has anyone else found this?
Is there another step I must do to make ALL roofs show?

Debby
Test Subject
#38 Old 17th Jul 2005 at 4:16 AM
First of all: The Tutorial is really great. Actually me understood, what to do

I've the same Problem like Debby. Can anyone tell my how to change the limitation?
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 30th Jul 2005 at 5:01 PM
or alternatively you could just make lots and lots of recolours for drongos like me, who got lost after the fourth paragraph..lol
Thanks for the tut
Test Subject
#40 Old 31st Jul 2005 at 5:29 PM Last edited by Nik24X7 : 31st Jul 2005 at 5:38 PM.
RGiles,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Your wonderful tutorial plus the base files are fabulous! I've been wanting to recolor the Maxis roofs for quite some time now. I followed your instructions and have now created twelve recolors. Now, onto the task of the long sought-after thatched roof. LOL

I have SimPE version 0.42 and I cannot find a "Global Fix TGI" option, so I had to perform "Fix TGI" on each of the four image files and commit after each one. FYI.

I'm also experiencing that same limitation as first described by Debby on the number of roofs that show up in the game. Has anyone figured out how to increase the limit?

Best Regards,
Nik
Test Subject
#41 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 10:48 PM
Ummm, Help!

Firstly, thanks for the tutorial RGiles.

I can't get my roof to show up in my game, is it not in the roof textures? Am I to be looking somewhere else? I have done this roof twice now and I feel like a tool because it won't show up. No point in doing any others if I can't get the first to show. I have checked it in SimPE (clicked on the package file) and it is the correct texture but nothing in my game. Any ideas?
Test Subject
#42 Old 5th Sep 2005 at 10:29 AM
very difficult for me in english
Bonjour tous !!!
My name is fefe, and I'm french. I don't speack very well english, and I have problem to understand all your words.
I would like to recolor a roof. I used tutorial's RGiles, but when I finish the work, I don't find my creation in the game. I saw modification for the tutorial, but my english is so poor...
If somebody can help me... Is there someone who speak french???
Thank you very much for your help!!!
Fefe
Test Subject
#43 Old 11th Sep 2005 at 3:11 PM
hi
I've update my SimPE with 0.48 version, and when I open roof recolours packages it shows "All resources 0" in Resource tree.... No texture, nothing else.... Someone can tell me why?
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 7:29 AM
Methinks this might need to be updated for SimPE .48.
I tried this tutorial several times, dilligently following step by step *whenever possible* (ie: there is no GlobalFix TGI in tools for SimPE .48).

After recoloring, fussing, messing, hashing, and all that, I saved my new roof to my Downloads folder, went into the game, and lo, there was no new roof at all.

What happened?

Pax,
Indigo
Test Subject
#45 Old 8th Nov 2005 at 1:04 AM
I tried the tutorial using SimPE 5.0, and couldn't do the tutorial all the way through because SimPE has been updated. Are you planning on updating the tut to go with SimPE 5.0? The tut seemed easy, except it didn't match up with 5.0. Thanks
The ModFather
#46 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 3:21 AM
I'm slowly updating all the old RGiles' tutorials; this will be probably the next

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#47 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 5:10 AM
Thanks!
Thanks much!
Instructor
#48 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 8:11 PM
SimPE .50 will actually "clone" roofs now. It looks like it takes care of quite abit that you had to manually do in the tutorial. I have not tried it though (friend asked for some help).

From looking at the tutorial and SimPE this is what seems to have changed:
Ok 1, You can now clone rooms thru Simpe. They are found under Other / Roofs in the object workshop.

The 1111111 is actually just the 4th line down that says guid(dtUInteger)= 0x(Some 8 digit hex) (you no longer see just plain xml)

To get the new guid/resourceid goto Tools, Object Tools, Hash Generator.
Ignore the part about converting the hex to decimal and just put the hex value in the guid(dtUInterger) line. (Click on guid on the left, Enter hex into Value box on right)

Where it says switch to Packed File View, you would click on the Resource Tab.
Where it says to replace the 222222 that is the resourceid(tdUInteger)/stringsetgroupid line(s). Enter in the Hex value, not the decimal. THIS MAY NOT BE NEEDED. SimPE sets this to 0xFFFFFFFF, that may be correct now.

The texture names are already fixed for you (if you cloned with Simpe) so skip the "textureedges" to "textureunder" part.

the "Change In All" no longer exists, so just commit after you change your text.

Also my clone did include the line for bump maps, don't know if it'll work right in game or not though.

Hopefully that'll get you somewhere.

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
The ModFather
#49 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 10:36 PM
The new tutorial is almost done. I think I'll be able to post it in a couple of hours.

The ModFather
#50 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 3:56 AM
Default New Tutorial available
An updated version of this tutorial can be found HERE.
Please post in the new thread all your questions and reports.

A special 'thank you' goes to RGiles for having created this tutorial, and for having revealed the secrets of the roofs

(Thread Closed)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2