Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

*MAJOR UPDATE NO OVERIDE* Aviation Career Testers Wanted

by katurian Posted 20th Jul 2005 at 12:52 AM - Updated 2nd Aug 2005 at 2:59 AM by katurian

38 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 35 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 1:09 AM
This is a good career idea, but it's really bad that it overites the basic career.
Anyway, thank you for this. My father was a pilot, so I have "a warm feeling" about aviation.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 1:18 AM
yeah. If anyone can give any advice about how to make it not overide that would be super. Still learning
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 2:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by katurian
yeah. If anyone can give any advice about how to make it not overide that would be super. Still learning

Go here and read:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=51901

Or download it and read it at your leisure. I would also advise you to take down your career until you've fixed it...unless you want to read endless complaints. More folks would try it if it were fixed.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 3:31 AM
this will be a great career when finished. Always need a good pilot sim around town
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 4:39 AM
okay I have read that entire word document and post above and I still cannot figureout how to keep it from replacing the science career. It still even shows up in the game as "Science" no matter what. Any suggestions?
Test Subject
#7 Old 20th Jul 2005 at 5:13 AM
I cannot help you to fix the problem of overriding the base, but I wait until you find somebody to help you, so I will download that carreer for sure, had been a structural technician (sheet metal) for 45 years, for airline compagny, now retired, I like your idea, you can get a guy out of an airplane, but never get an airplane out of a guy.
Not a Llama
#8 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 2:36 PM
Katurian, I have had a quick look at the code for this career. You are getting an overwrite on the science career because you have changed only the data objects filetype GroupID.

You need to change every filetype's GroupID to make it work. In the current "new and improved" SimPE, the mass change option is no longer there.

If you use the "SimPE (Classic GUI)" icon in your start menu, you can still do the mass GroupID change as per the instructions in my guide.

Also, the name of your object file should:

1) end in ".package" (you currently end it in ".career". Maybe use ".career.package" instead?

2) reflect the current version of the object. Your file still says 01.00 while it is up to 1.01 according to your listing up top.

Hope this helps
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 8:17 PM
Thanks. I spent about three hours thinking that GroupID was GUID but then I finally figured it out. See the first post for the new non-overighting file everyone!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 11:42 PM
great work i think i probabl will download this once my other computer starts working
#11 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 6:40 PM
Default aviation career
Thank you. It works fine in my game. I was a little surprised when the career changed direction, but I am satisfied with it.
Test Subject
#12 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 10:24 PM
I'm an aspiring pilot and I likewhat you did I would say after airline to make it transcontinental pilot or medium equipment pilot and then International or large equipment because you know you start at the regionals and fly regional jets then you move to the main line and fly mendium size planes like 737s A320s 757s then you move to Large planes and fly those until you retire like 767, 777, 747 or A330 A340 and soon A380 just my two cent
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 10:42 PM
yeah I had a sims 1 career like that but I thought I'd make it a little less technical. You know how we aviators love to make the simple things horridly complex (so we can feel smart)
Test Subject
#14 Old 2nd Aug 2005 at 2:54 AM
Are there chance cards?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Aug 2005 at 2:59 AM
yes indeed
Field Researcher
#16 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 10:34 AM
This is awsome, I will absolutely try it out in my game, heh would be nice if we could get some cool pilot uniforms for it!
Test Subject
#17 Old 10th Aug 2005 at 2:01 AM
It would also be neat if you or someone else can make a career reward for it. I don't have any idea what it could be but you probably will.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 16th Aug 2005 at 10:29 AM
I have tryed the career out, and only one chance card ever showed up during the whole career, from the bottom to the top, and that was a Science career card, and no bonus from it. I never saw any other chance cards.
Another problem I encounterd, was that my sim very often didnt get any noification of promotion, they only showed up every now and then.
Otherwise I think its a cool career.

If you are remaking it, loose the Flight attendant and other non-pilot stuff, I think they could have their own careers.
Instructor
#19 Old 27th Aug 2005 at 2:41 AM
I just finished this career and had no problems at all. The only disappointment was the uniforms. There were none. I play a lot the military one just of because the uniforms. We females just love our men in them. Please, would you consider making some?
#20 Old 29th Aug 2005 at 4:36 PM
I tried and I found it quite hard to get promoted. But it's good though.
Test Subject
#21 Old 30th Aug 2005 at 5:25 PM
Tanks
Thanks. My brother is an aviation fanatic, so this should shut him up for a while. I just need to download and test.
Test Subject
#22 Old 31st Aug 2005 at 7:28 PM
One problem...
I tried it, and tested it with boolprop (the answer to all problems in my opinion :werd: ) It was good, but all the chance cards were science. Other than that, it was fine.
#23 Old 1st Sep 2005 at 4:14 PM
I find this great as my dad's a pilot.
I just noticed a small typo, Cheif Mechanic should be Chief Mechanic.
Otherwise, this is great.
Instructor
#24 Old 4th Sep 2005 at 1:52 AM
Katurian, where are you? I would like very much an answer to this uniform problem. It is such a good career.
#25 Old 6th Sep 2005 at 1:47 AM
This looks awesome, I can't wait to try it! Any chances there might be a helicopter pilot somewhere along the line? Maybe in medicine for the EMS flights?
Page 1 of 2