Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 6:27 PM
Default Object Creation HELP
well, I have some questions and some things to say

1. What programs support 3ds files?(could you also provide me with some tutorials on how to texture, WITHOUT PhotoShop as I don't have photoshop)

2. How do I change everything into OBJ files?

3. When I put some OBJ files into Mesh Tool it always displays errors, what is causing this and how do I fix it?

4. When I clone an object with another object(say I clone a computer with a moneywell)will it display the cloned objects options?

5. How do I know if a GUID is taken or not? how do i create a unique one?

thanks all :bump:
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 6:33 PM
1. Most, including Wings 3D.

2. You need to use the import function on the program you are using.

3. What are the errors?

4. It shows the options of the object the new one is cloned from.

5. You must get an account with the GUID database.

I am making a tutorial on something on these lines that uses Wings 3D: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=80621
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 6:52 PM Last edited by _OMERTA_ : 1st Aug 2005 at 6:55 PM.
it says it cannot open it

(nevermind, i forgot it was import*slaps head*)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 7:07 PM Last edited by _OMERTA_ : 1st Aug 2005 at 7:17 PM.
ok my object(a camcorder)is finished, but now it says the UV Mapping co-ordinates arn't included when i put it through Mesh Tool, but Wings won't let me do anything with the UV mapping(I can't make UV maps)

also another error, 'subscript out of range' is occuring

*rips hair out*
Nearly alive
#5 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 7:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by _OMERTA_
ok my object(a camcorder)is finished, but now it says the UV Mapping co-ordinates arn't included when i put it through Mesh Tool, but Wings won't let me do anything with the UV mapping(I can't make UV maps)

also another error, 'subscript out of range' is occuring

*rips hair out*

You will need to add the uv coords, so you`ll have to use a different program to add them if wings don`t let you add them.

As for the subscript error this could be because it is a wings created object (not sure if obj files created by wings work with the mesh tool or not, trying running it through milkshape first (import it and then export it) but you will still need the uv coords. The other thing the subscript error could be from having too many polygons/faces.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 7:32 PM
I don't have MilkShape anymore(my free account expired, now I have to pay, which there is no damn way im doing)

what programs will let me add the UV Co-ordinates?
Inventor
#7 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 7:37 PM
You could just use the Import function is SimPE.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 8:40 PM
my SimPE dosn't have an import function
Instructor
#9 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 9:19 PM
You still need to uv map it before importing into simpe. Check out lithunwrap or uvmapper. Both are freeware.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 10:05 PM
*slaps head*, I forgot all about UVMAPPER, thank you
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 10:07 PM Last edited by _OMERTA_ : 1st Aug 2005 at 10:48 PM.
ok, the polygons for my helicopter are 3078(not bad considering I didn't lower them, eh?)and now, i ran it through MESH TOOL with no Errors, so now it is a SimPE mesh, how do I make it a package mesh(also, how do I run it through SimPE, cus I can't find ANY ways to import it)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 10:46 PM
anyone?
Test Subject
#13 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 11:37 PM
You need to choose an object to clone. After choosing an object and naming/updating it appropriately, you go to the geometric data container and right click and replace it with the file you just created with the meshtool.
Inventor
#14 Old 1st Aug 2005 at 11:39 PM
Do you have the new SimPE? Get it from the site: http://sims.ambertation.de/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Aug 2005 at 2:10 AM
yes i do, ok, I've cloned my object, but when I go into the game ITS NOT THERE!?, all there is is the object it was cloned from (On a Pedestal statue)with the custom content sign on it

can anyone show me what to do
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Aug 2005 at 2:19 AM
also, the textures are the pedestal's, how do I change these damn textures(I dont have photoshop)
The ModFather
retired moderator
#17 Old 2nd Aug 2005 at 2:41 PM
_OMERTA_, let me clear up something about Wings3D:

1) The .obj files created with Wings3D are NOT compatible with the MeshTool, not with the "Import" function of SimPE. The easiest way to fix these .obj files is to load them into UVmapper and immediately save them.

2) Wings3D HAS UVmapping functionalities: just select all the faces (faces, not vertices, lines or models), right-click on the object and choose Tesselate/Triangulate; then right-click again on the object and choose the last option: UV mapping.
A new window will appear: righ-click anywhere on it and select "Segment by" / "Feature Detection". Lastly, right-click one more time on the the UVmapping window and choose "Continue"/"Projection". Now you can export as .obj, and the file will contain the UV coordinates.
Mind that this UVmapping method leads to inaccurate results: UVmapper classic is way better, so I suggest to use it anyway. The only important thing to remember is to TRIANGULATE the object in Wings before exporting.

As for all your other question, I suggest you to start following a good totorial like this:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=59293
The problem of your helicopter not showing up seem related to the GUIDs: have you registered a new GUID for each Object Data file contained in the package? (If you don't know what I'm talking about, follow the tutorial above).

Good luck with your object creation!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Aug 2005 at 3:19 PM Last edited by _OMERTA_ : 2nd Aug 2005 at 3:37 PM.
Yeah I gave it a unique guid but it just comes up as the object it was cloned from, also, I don't have Adobe so I can't veiw those tutorials
The ModFather
retired moderator
#19 Old 2nd Aug 2005 at 5:25 PM
You can get Acrobat Reader HERE.

Anyway, you say "I gave it a unique guid", but the helicopter has MANY Object Data files (I haven't counted, but they should be about 35!) : you should assign a unique GUID for each of them, i.e. 35 unique registered GUIDs.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Inventor
#20 Old 2nd Aug 2005 at 5:32 PM
Thank you Numenor, I added that info to my tutorial. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 2nd Aug 2005 at 7:07 PM Last edited by _OMERTA_ : 2nd Aug 2005 at 7:37 PM.
*does anyone know where I can find a SimPE tutorial on making a NEW object by cloning something?*
The ModFather
retired moderator
#22 Old 2nd Aug 2005 at 9:56 PM
All the tutorials that you can find (including the one I've already told you about) will explain how to make *new* objects, of course.
But if you expect to create a new object using SimPE only, then give up: it's impossible; you need at least a 3D editor and an UV mapper. And some spare hours to spend following a good tutorial....
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 3rd Aug 2005 at 1:25 PM
the only thing I havn't got is the knowledge on how to UV map and texture the object, this'll take a while :p
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 3rd Aug 2005 at 5:10 PM
ok everything is done except for the textures, how do I do them?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#25 Old 3rd Aug 2005 at 5:28 PM
You can use UVmapper Classic (freeware).
Here is a link to a thread of mine that explains UVmapper functions. It's not a real tutorial, but rather a sort of handbook; and most of all, it's *not* in PDF format

Locked thread | Locked by: Numenor Reason: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82084[/url]
Page 1 of 2