PDA

View Full Version : I would like to know how to update mods?

nerdiella
24th Mar 2012, 11:09 PM
I know how to open up the files in s3pe, and have created XML tuning, but I have come across mods that havent been updated for awhile, and I would love to use them for my own personal use. Is there any way I can update them for myself? And just in general how to update mods.

JustAnotherSimsFan
25th Mar 2012, 1:41 AM
I'm not sure if this going to be helpful to you or not nerdiella but ThomasRiordan here on MTS made a video for updating xml mods for the sims 3 pets, he said it might work for ITUN mods but won't work for script mods. Here's a link (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=458774) to the thread.

Hopefully you'll get other modders telling you their ways of updating mods and then you can pick the way you find the easiest :)

omegastarr82
25th Mar 2012, 3:14 AM
If you are only updating XML mods you can easily do this by getting a program like ExamDiff to compare the two files(the outdated mod and the updated game file). Then all you do is change what is changed in the old file on the new file, also if you are doing a mod that involves skills or something you can then update the new skills.

nerdiella
25th Mar 2012, 4:14 AM
I will try that out, thank you :)

ThomasRiordan
25th Mar 2012, 9:16 AM
Usually ITUN mods are a matter of just changing true/false so they should mostly be able to be updated using that tutorial. The more complicated ones might require the removing of lines which make it a little harder to determine if the lines of code are missing because EA added something or the modder removed something for a reason. For example mods that enable activities locked via trait like trolling on the computer. The only other type of ITUN mod that I've seen and as far as I'm aware I'm the only one who has done this is the adding of a Change type line to add an additional motive to be increased via the activity.

The reason scripting and core mods won't usually work out using this method is because most scripts are written by the modder and doesn't have an EA code to compare it to. Core mods can have anything going wrong due EA changing or even removing code from the game completely. For example if you look at Buzzler's Pure Script Modding Tutorial you'll find that OnWorldLoadFinishedEventHandler won't show up when you search for it now. So that makes things much more complicated when it comes to updating a mod.

CmarNYC
25th Mar 2012, 4:00 PM
you'll find that OnWorldLoadFinishedEventHandler won't show up when you search for it now.

I'm still finding it in Sims3.SimIFace.World, unless I'm seeing things.

ThomasRiordan
25th Mar 2012, 6:30 PM
Really? I've searched for it multiple times with .Net Reflector and it never returns are result with Handler on the end. If I search OnWorldLoadFinishedEvent it'll come up with OnWorldLoadFinishedEventArgs but not Handler.

I stand corrected if it is still there and I'm just not seeing it for some stupid reason.

CmarNYC
25th Mar 2012, 8:34 PM
I have a lot of problems with the .NET Reflector search. In this case, try searching for "OnWorldLoadFinishedEventHandler" and click the "Search Member" option in the upper right corner of the search box - the second icon.

ThomasRiordan
25th Mar 2012, 8:47 PM
Yep that did it. Thanks now I might go back and give that tutorial a go again. Right after I get done trying out the Sim Outfit editor since that happened to catch my eye just at the right time that I actually need to try and do that for a custom career.