PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to re install the game but keep some families?

sierrakusterbeck
28th Mar 2012, 7:31 AM
I think I want to uninstall and reinstall my game cause I just want a fresh start, especially with all the CC cluttering my hard drive. I have about 3 or 4 major families like my legacies and I really don't want to delete them with my game. So is there a way I can just maybe back them up and then add them to my game when I reinstall, or is that impossible with all the memories and relationships that're saved with the family?
Sorry if this sounds extremely stupid :x
Also, when I uninstall the game will all the CC automatically delete itself or do I have to go and delete the downloads folder myself?

MimiSim
28th Mar 2012, 7:47 AM
IMO this would be a bad idea because of all the relationships the sims would have with sims in the former neighborhood. The only way I can think of to keep your families and not cause corruption would be to clone them using sim surgery. The only bad thing about this is that this only saves their appearance, not any memories, relationships, or skills. I wish you luck in your new neighborhood and hope everything works out fine. I lost my favorite neighborhood because of corruption, so I know how hard it can be starting all over again. :(

sierrakusterbeck
28th Mar 2012, 8:10 AM
IMO this would be a bad idea because of all the relationships the sims would have with sims in the former neighborhood. The only way I can think of to keep your families and not cause corruption would be to clone them using sim surgery. The only bad thing about this is that this only saves their appearance, not any memories, relationships, or skills. I wish you luck in your new neighborhood and hope everything works out fine. I lost my favorite neighborhood because of corruption, so I know how hard it can be starting all over again. :(
Sigh, I thought it wouldn't work cause of relationships. Thanks for answering though, I'm probably just gonna suck it up and uninstall the game in a few hours. xx

omglo
28th Mar 2012, 1:28 PM
If you know what you're doing in SimPE, this could be an option.

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Moving_Sims#The_Hard_Way

LilGeek
28th Mar 2012, 2:16 PM
If you don't backup the CC folder, I'm pretty sure it vanishes with the uninstal.

Peni Griffin
28th Mar 2012, 3:15 PM
Any time you make any major changes on your computer, you should backup anything you want to be sure you keep; because it's impossible to predict what might happen as a result of the change. Maybe you read that instruction wrong, or maybe the documentation didn't take into consideration a peculiarity of your system, or maybe the cat jumped onto the keyboard at a critical moment, or maybe something just plain didn't work right for no good reason. Even if the newly-installed program isn't supposed to overwrite or delete existing files, it might do so.

sierrakusterbeck
28th Mar 2012, 3:16 PM
Any time you make any major changes on your computer, you should backup anything you want to be sure you keep; because it's impossible to predict what might happen as a result of the change. Maybe you read that instruction wrong, or maybe the documentation didn't take into consideration a peculiarity of your system, or maybe the cat jumped onto the keyboard at a critical moment, or maybe something just plain didn't work right for no good reason. Even if the newly-installed program isn't supposed to overwrite or delete existing files, it might do so.
Before I uninstalled everything I backed up my whole Sims 2 folder to my hard drive, but hopefully I did everything right so I won't need them later on.

Mootilda
28th Mar 2012, 4:13 PM
Uninstalling really isn't necessary, in fact it can actually be quite destructive since many people experience problems during reinstallation.

If you want to reset your save game, just move it away and run the game. A new save game will be generated.

I also want to warn you about moving sims "The Hard Way" (link above). Be sure to thoroughly test your occupied lots before adding them to a neighborhood that you care about. Even if you believe that you have cleaned them thoroughly, they may contain invalid references. That's because SimPE doesn't display everything that needs to be deleted... if it's not displayed, then you can't remove it, but the game will still see it.

"The Easy Way" is much safer.