PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite mistakes

Peni Griffin
18th Apr 2012, 6:28 PM
I know better now. My hood is rapidly getting bigger, the population grows even with notownieregen, I don't need more households. I shouldn't have added my simmigrants willy-nilly back when I did, families of six and eight respectively, lobbed in all anyhow, proliferating my households.

But -

Then I wouldn't have the beautiful romances of Garrett Newson with Lourdes Iana and Sharla Ottomas with Luis Iana (not to mention that little complication of Sharla dating Lucas Iana in high school while he was also dating Margaret Estic). I wouldn't have the strange and complicated marriage of Luz Iana and Billy Ghote, with its surprise wedding. I wouldn't have that mean cuss Esteban Casa picking fights all over the neighborhood, Susana Casa's stormy relationship with David Ottomas, Estebanico's seamless bad macho transition from a heartless Romance sim to an autocratic male chauvinist Family sim, Emilio Casa's blithe meddling in everybody else's affairs while his own tick away like a time bomb, or demure little Jovita's friendship with butch Naomi Gavigan, or - oh, I wouldn't have so much, if I'd controlled my population size and just married my CAS sims and Family binners to townies and each other.

Not that I regret the townies, either. It was dumb to invite Phoenix McClellan and Skylar Todd to move in when they were roommates; I should have cut them loose. And that bit with accidentally making the Gilscarbo dude playable - yikes, at least that was an honest mistake, not a deliberate choice. And I am unspeakably glad that the very first townie I ever sent to University, just because she'd made friends with Isaiah Gavigan and I needed a new Greek member, turned out to be a Tricou. I shouldn't make service sims playable, ever, because they have too many skill points and though I love Amy Jones in spite of it Alon Livingstone is just annoying; which is what enabled all that wonderful drama in Sparrow Hawkins's life at University.

And I'm going to do it again, and then groan at the thought of how long it's going to take to do a rotation, and think of new and ingenious excuses to combine households, and then have huge reservoirs of infection when flu goes around...

I really am my own worst enemy. Prosit! :beer:

How about y'all? What do you do that you know you shouldn't, and keep doing because it enriches the game so much.

M.M.A.A.
18th Apr 2012, 7:20 PM
Well, I made a mistake by having my first generation only have one child, now their children are teens, and in order for every single one of them to find love, I had to add new families, which is time consuming, because I need to get the newborns to the teen stage.

The one child policy was only meant for the first few generations, then, they are free to whatever no. of babies they want to have.

However, my older sims still roll wants for having children, so I might just return to an old back-up and fix everything up from there.

I know better now. My hood is rapidly getting bigger, the population grows even with notownieregen, I don't need more households. I shouldn't have added my simmigrants willy-nilly back when I did, families of six and eight respectively, lobbed in all anyhow, proliferating my households.

And if you are worried about space for lots in your neighborhood, then just stop using large lots, or just add a shopping district, which acts like a normal neighborhood. I think Ill be doing that.

Also, when placing your lots, try sticking them near each other, as shown below:

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=1287898

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=1287899

I flattened the neighborhood terrain, so that it would be more suitable for building houses (easily). I'm thinking of making the rest of the road areas up on the hills, the same level as those below.

However, if its playing the of dozens of families that annoys you, well, you'll get around it. I mean come on, I have like 36 households, only five are related.

NatteryakToad
18th Apr 2012, 7:41 PM
I let all my first generation of game born sims marry each other; they started off as four CAS couples who each had between 3 and 9 children, and now all the families are related, some in multiple ways.

Take the three Tomlin siblings for example. Aadyn, Johannah and Elliot Tomlin. As a teenager Aadyn proceeded to cheat on his girlfriend with her sister and then get the sister pregnant (but that really is another story), and then became an adult who had dates with several townies but nothing serious. Johannah married Joseph Rooke and had three children. Elliot married Aurora James and had five (soon to be six) children. Then Aadyn ran into Aurora's older sister Makayla, and rolled wants to ask her out, get engaged to her, marry her and have a baby. They ended up with three children in quick sucession. Meanwhile Aurora and Makayla's brother, Jack, had met Johannah at college and had two bolts of chemistry with her. He refused to be remotely interested in anyone else, but constantly rolled wants to call Johannah and invite her over. Eventually, with Johannah's marriage breaking up, I allowed them to start an affair, and now Johannah's just left Joseph and is about to move in with Jack and his alien daughter. I'm not going to let them have any children, though, since these families are too interrelated now.

In some ways I wish I had made them all marry townies for the first generation so I wouldn't have them all interelated, but then I wouldn't have some of my favourite couples, Mannie and Naomi Heath and Sasha and Hope James, not to mention all of the children that wouldn't have been born: Zoey, Asaph, Ephraim, Isaiah, Lennox, Savannah, Sienna, Jason, Nat, Danny, Olly, Milly, Adah, Maria, Joseph, Josette, Jonah, Jacob, Jessica and Joshua.

Peni Griffin
18th Apr 2012, 8:38 PM
I'm not worried about space, MMAA; I'm worried about the length of time it takes me to do each rotation and how long it takes me to get back to each household, and how much more engaged I get with each. But I wouldn't get rid of any of them, they've all enriched my game so much.

Kind of like parents that've had more kids than they can afford but can't pick anybody they'd have skipped if they had it to do over.

M.M.A.A.
18th Apr 2012, 8:49 PM
I'm not worried about space, MMAA; I'm worried about the length of time it takes me to do each rotation and how long it takes me to get back to each household, and how much more engaged I get with each. But I wouldn't get rid of any of them, they've all enriched my game so much.

Kind of like parents that've had more kids than they can afford but can't pick anybody they'd have skipped if they had it to do over.

Ok, since the flu is taking over your neighborhood, there is one thing that you can do to downsize the playable population (without restarting): Death by Disease! No more granny's soup!

Of course, that is if you want to downsize your population.

Bwinney43
18th Apr 2012, 9:42 PM

I'm the same way, Peni. My neighborhoods are starting to grow with households and each rotation is taking longer to complete. I love them all too much to ever get rid of any(not that I would) if I had the choice to do so. Everyone has neat little family/friend ties with each other now. Playing rotations has definitely changed my game play for the better.

fruitsymphony
18th Apr 2012, 9:55 PM
Regarding number of households, I just move sims in with other sims. I pretended that they were evicted and did not have any other place to stay. :|

The more the merrier, :beer: in each household I mean!. I used to have 20 households however now only 15 remaining.

omglo
18th Apr 2012, 10:55 PM
Brandi Broke has seven kids in my game. That's three more than she was supposed to have had. The first extra kid wasn't my mistake (natural twin), but the second set of twins happened because my game is modded for risky woohoo and I forgot to put Brandi on birth control. The household was just starting to become financially stable, then I had to buy them baby stuff all over again and the family was just settling into routine with gardening for extra food that got thrown off. I like my families small, but that house is so lively, especially because every person in the family usually invites over a friend or the person they're dating and it's a fun challenge trying to meet their needs on a tight budget.

GEGNER
19th Apr 2012, 3:51 AM
Having three different neighborhoods with generations long challenges in different stages.

It's so much running around.

Liv Lukas
19th Apr 2012, 6:47 AM
Downloading craploads of CC so that I need to wait so long for my game to start. Not that I would stop making that mistake...ooohh look! Shiny! *wanders off to download it*

Fivey
19th Apr 2012, 6:56 AM
Brandi Broke has seven kids in my game. That's three more than she was supposed to have had. The first extra kid wasn't my mistake (natural twin), but the second set of twins happened because my game is modded for risky woohoo and I forgot to put Brandi on birth control. The household was just starting to become financially stable, then I had to buy them baby stuff all over again and the family was just settling into routine with gardening for extra food that got thrown off. I like my families small, but that house is so lively, especially because every person in the family usually invites over a friend or the person they're dating and it's a fun challenge trying to meet their needs on a tight budget.

If it makes you feel any better, the Brandi Broke in my game just got remarried to a family sim she has three bolts with, and he wants to marry off six kids. Six of his own kids. So if they ever get that many, she would be having nine children. Fortunately their first children were twins, so that helps the goal. Still, Brandi has no job and her new husband is in the lower half of his job ranks. Dustin still lives at home, and he is taking his desire to be a criminal more seriously (it's his ltw). He'll want to get out soon, though.

I also have silent pregnancy and no try-for-baby option. So yeah. Brandi has no rest. She's either pregnant or having a lot of woohoo.

Anyway, mistakes, mistakes...

Well, there was making Alexander Goth a pleasure Sim. Admittedly, he would be happier if he wasn't a Pleasure Sim. Probably wouldn't have as much heartbreaks. Seeing as I hope to write a short story about this version of the neighborhood, his bad line of breakups, alcoholism, and wife beating may cause plenty of angst for his half-sister Mina, who I plan to make a major character. The main characters would be the Larsons. Not Jodie and Jason. Corey and Jason. Jodie's off married to Malcolm Landgraab IV and have twins, Malcolm V and Pamela. Papa Malcolm doesn't care much for Pamela. She's a girl. The extra. I digress.

Also, letting a family-knowledge pairing woohoo in college the moment they got there without birth control. First boink on campus and she gets knocked up. I mean, really?

OH, and lets not forget letting one of my bisexual sims, Craig, cheat on his graduated fiance with another one of my playables in my college dorm. This is set in a different neighborhood that does not exist. The above situations still survive. I played it as her, Celina, having a longtime crush on him, and being constantly rejected. Then he learns in their senior year that she still hasn't had her first kiss (she was an alien hybrid, but she was a pretty hybrid), and since the snow was white and the time was right, he feels the impulse to kiss her. Then they start making out. I didn't even have ACR at the time, and they were autonomously making out. So they had lots of woohoo while Mr. Klaus Blitzenstern is waiting in the neighborhood completely oblivious. Craig graduates and marries Klaus, but is still boinking Celina. I impregnate Klaus through inTeen, and get Curie out of it. A grey eyed brunette.

Craig impregnates Celina because he is an ass, and never sees her again, until one day, Curie brings home a girl named Doodle from school. Doodle looks a lot like Curie and a LOT like Craig. Doodle obviously starts bawling because daddy (who she never met before) was making out with someone who was not her mom (but was his husband). Klaus didn't really notice that Craig somehow had a kid even though he was married to a guy, but didn't think twice about it. Craig invited Celina over, who then smooched his husband to prove a point to the woman (who was not happy).

Later, after my game was having corruption issues (I was an inexperienced simmer), Doodle moved in with Craig. Her mom was captured by mole people (corrupted, disappeared), and her grandparents were dead. The first thing she did when she went in was poke Klaus. Greeeaaaaat.

Anyway, game soon fell and dropped dead. At least all that drama was fun.

Ghost sdoj
20th Apr 2012, 12:22 AM
I had a male Romance sim who was downtown when another one of my sims who was supposed to become a vampire showed up on the lot. The Grand Vampire was there, so he influenced her to bite my other sim. Apparently influencing a Grand vampire to bite someone greenlights them for biting half the neighborhood.

And then not sending my sim somewhere else when I saw the same Romance sim playing poker with Mrs. Crumplebottom and both Grand Vampires when I was there with another sim. When I finally played him again he was best friends with Mrs. C, and wanting to flirt with her! (This was also the same guy who had an Outgoing level of 10. When he got lectured for wearing a swimsuit in a public pool, he politely got dressed; then walked two steps over to the hot tub that she was next to, stripped, and got in. I could just hear him saying "If you don't like my swimsuit, I'll be happy to take it off for you.")

And just playing every household as long as I'm not getting bored with them before switching might be a mistake, too. I completely forgot about one kid at college, so he ended up being a roommate of his younger brother's grandson.

RowenaLupin
20th Apr 2012, 2:45 AM
Downloading craploads of CC so that I need to wait so long for my game to start. Not that I would stop making that mistake...ooohh look! Shiny! *wanders off to download it*

That right there ^^^ I love all my CC and I don't think I'd ever be able to choose between it all. I've tried, and I end up going right back and putting it back in again.

Another favorite mistake? Probably constantly deleting my neighborhood and starting over. For some reason I can never keep neighborhoods longer than the first generation. I like the 'fresh' idea and I have so many ideas that I can't ever choose what I want to do. :rofl: :rofl: I'm always skipping from one thing to another.

Peni Griffin
21st Apr 2012, 2:43 AM
But that's not your favorite mistake - that's one you don't like and are undoing.

maxon
21st Apr 2012, 1:20 PM
Favourite mistake? I've had lots but the only one that occurs to me right now is letting Clarissa Sororah go and greet Ethan Redhouse when she saw him on a community lot in college. I thought, 'that'll be nice. She's close to her sister and needs to meet her future brother in law.' Ethan was then her sister's boyfriend in college to whom Cecily had just got engaged.

Oh dear. 3-bolts. That caused no end of heartache. First of all, Cecily was furious with both Ethan and Clarissa and ran off into the arms of Another Student (townie, forget which one) for a disasterous affair (Ethan then furious with Cecily, the hypocrite - well, to be fair he was both feeling guilty and furious. He kept getting the option to apologise but then Cecily's face was all covered with red film and he'd fume). Then Philippa, Clarissa's best friend, who caught them kissing, got furious because she is the half-sister of Horace Vaughan who was then Clarissa's boyfriend. I had to make Tobias Durant, a French exchange student, to distract Philippa (effective but he later made a (successful) pass at Clarissa when Philippa announced she'd accidentally got pregnant which so upset Philippa that she woke up several nights running with nightmares and eventually lost the baby) and Jason and Sarah Oates for Cecily and Horace respectively. Poor Horace. Being thrown over by Clarissa was just the start of his woes. He'd met her at his father's second wedding and they'd danced the night away. He was happy until they went to college. After Clarissa, he lost out in the competition with his twin brother Henry for the affections of Janet Syrus (for whom he still has a secret crush) and then took on Sarah, more as a 'well, I'd better find someone' type of move. She's currently pregnant with her second child but I noticed the last time I played that she's been eyeing up one of the locals in a flirty manner. I don't think it will last for poor Horace. Ethan and Clarissa are still together. Ethan is a very sloppy sim and never gets dressed after showering. This somehow encourages much neater Clarissa to do the same. I have a picture of them sitting at the dining room table in the buff while Clarissa was heavily pregnant. Their daughter is Catherine and is still small. They still have three bolts so with ACR and risky woohoo, I think Catherine will not be an only child. Tobias still likes the look of Clarissa too. If Sarah strays, I might have Horace impregnate Janet Syrus behind his brother's back.

Did you follow all that? That one moment of sending Clarissa over to establish a relationship made big differences to my plans for that generation. And it's still not over.

It's the unexpected actions that the game throws your way that is one of the main things that keeps it interesting for me.

RowenaLupin
21st Apr 2012, 3:04 PM
But that's not your favorite mistake - that's one you don't like and are undoing.

I've come to accept the restarting of neighborhoods. I do that with video games too. If I let them sit too long, I always think I can do better, and I've sort of turned it into a challenge for myself.

shoo_flee
21st Apr 2012, 4:25 PM
Im currently playing Strangetown on a rotation system- something i never bothered doing with Pleasantview.

My pleasantview is a giant mess, Don Lothorios still sleeping his way around town, even though his two daughters now have children, and their children have children. Nina has 6 kids the oldest of which is dead from old age but shes not, the Pleasants havent been touched even though theres 4th Gen sims running about :/ The time frame and relasionships is totally messed up because its the first neighbourhood i ever loaded up, and i don't think i have the patience to figure out how to get everyone on the right time, BUT, my point is i actually LOVED playing some of these familys, and i will always keep a copy of this giant ball of mess cos some of my favourite sims reside here. One day i'll play Pleasantview from scratch, with a nice rotation system :)

Aegagropilon
22nd Apr 2012, 5:29 AM
My favorite mistake is my game's megafamilies. I know I shouldn't let them happen because I'm already seeing the "Okay, who in your generation aren't you related to?" effects, but I can't help it. The greatest offenders are the Curious/Smith bunch (but that was Maxis's fault), the extended Muenda swarm (which I can't entirely blame Maxis for), and the Howe horde (five kids, four different genetic donors, one batty 10/10/10/10/10 freelance pollination tech, and entirely my fault). The Subject branch of the Muenda swarm is the worst of the worst: there's a Subject in nearly every family now, and -- with six kids and thirteen grandchildren (so far) -- it's only going to get worse with each succeeding generation. I love them, though.

On that same note, this sim -- Grimm Subject -- is one that I refer to as "the best mistake ACR ever made":
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj202/aegagropilon/Grimmie.jpg
I wasn't planning on his parents becoming parents (or, in his mom's case, the parent of more than the one kid she was created with) -- though I was fascinated by how well Frieda got along with Nervous, who was the neighborhood menace at the time -- but ACR and Frieda's "allow unmarried try-for-baby" token changed that. Nearly two realtime years later, they're still together, still adorable, and that ACR-oops baby Grimm is one of my favorite sims.

Alijah
22nd Apr 2012, 5:58 AM
My favorite mistake is my game's megafamilies. I know I shouldn't let them happen because I'm already seeing the "Okay, who in your generation aren't you related to?" effects, but I can't help it.

Exactly this, for me! My worst offenders are the Newsons and Ottomases. More than half of my 'hood is related to one of the two families and I can't stop! I keep telling myself that "ok, YOU will not be having any more children!" but then I see that little bump and I go, "awwww! Ok but this is the LAST ONE!"

(it's never the last one.)