PDA

View Full Version : Maxis Makeovers

.Wishes.Of.Silver.
25th Apr 2012, 10:13 PM
I'm wondering, what are people's general definitions of a maxis makeover. And do you consider it a maxis makeover when the person doing it uses plastic surgery?

Personally, a maxis makeover is a thing where you change hairstyles, clothes, makeup and other things like that to make the maxis sims look a little nicer. Using plastic surgery, to me, kind of defeats the point of it, because they won't be how they were meant to be anymore, and I think, if you do that, no offence to the people who do, it can't really be counted as a maxis makeover.

Sorry if I offend anyone or anything like that, but I am interested.

Bwinney43
25th Apr 2012, 10:21 PM
I consider it a makeover if you're changing something on the sim. Even if that means a complete change of face...which I often do. I hate the way my townies generated before I got some default face templates so now I'm going through and changing all the hideous ones. Other times I'll just change their hair or makeup. Maybe change the eyebrows or add glasses. Both ways are makeovers to me.

Darby
25th Apr 2012, 10:50 PM
No one who's comfortable with his/her own opinions and recognizes their entirely subjective nature, and especially when we're talking about how a game should or should not be played (really?), will be offended by someone else's also entirely subjective opinions.

I think it's pointless to try to define some sort of official definition of "maxis makeover" that everyone will agree on. In general, I consider a superficial change of appearance (which can be dramatic, but is not surgically body-altering) to be a makeover (not really sure what a "maxis" makeover is), and a change of facial structure to be plastic surgery. It's easier to know what others are talking about when certain definitions are common, but it's certainly possible to be too nit-picky. (I say that with full awareness that such a statement could very well come back to bite me later. ;) )

As for who a sim is "meant to be", meh. Personally, I prefer to play them as-is. I've got default replacement face templates, but I don't go to any trouble changing existing sims. I've only used the plastic surgery machine once that I can remember, and it was for an alien who was too extreme even for my very non-picky tendencies with regard to appearance.

Nonetheless, "meant to be" rankles. A player may have a strong pull toward seeing a particular sim's character a particular way, based maybe on his/her bio (in the case of premades), personality, upbringing, what have you, and if said player wants to change that sim's facial structure to better reflect how the player sees that sim internally, why not?

I wouldn't tend to do that myself, because I don't like the idea of outward appearance obscuring the genetics that will be passed on to potential offspring. I'd rather see what I'm going to get, so to speak. But for players who don't care about that, more power to them. :)

gazania
25th Apr 2012, 11:13 PM
I tend to agree with the posts above as to a "makeover" ... a change to hairstyle, makeup, glasses, jewelry, nails, etc. I would venture a guess that a Maxis makeover doesn't involve nails or any custom content that isn't directly related to an item in the game. Last time I checked, EA didn't include fingernails!

Someone else may insist that a Maxis makeover wouldn't involve ANY custom content. Perhaps.

Plastic surgery, to me, is altering features, hair color, or eye color, and, if you don't have the appropriate reward object, that generally involves an outside aid or mod, such as Insimenator, Sim Blender, Sim PE, etc. I would toss skintone changing in there as well, though others might disagree.

I use plastic surgery when I feel like it on my custom Sims and townies I've moved in. Most of the time, however, I make it a point not to dramatically alter anything ... just moving a nose a click that is way too close to the mouth, for instance. I have my own "standards" ... I can't move anything more than one click either way. I'm not sure I want a neighborhood full of perfect people! I would find that a little boring.

I see no problem with it, unless I've entered a Perfect Genetics challenge, or some like challenge. Then that's cheating, and that isn't right to other players. The nice thing about the Sims games is that it's your world. If you want to use mods, enter cheat codes, skitch a mouth a little lower, it's your game ... your rules ... your world. :)

joandsarah77
26th Apr 2012, 12:11 AM
I always thought a makeover to a pre-made was a 'Maxis make over' and that it was the same as how a real person would get a makeover. You are changing their clothes and or hair, makeup, accessories. I didn't think it meant using Maxis items for the makeover unless that was specified. Plastic surgery is something else again. If I went to get a 'makeover' I wouldn't expect to be offered plastic surgery..... my nose isn't that big is it? :rofl:

Anonymous101
26th Apr 2012, 2:16 AM
I'm wondering, what are people's general definitions of a maxis makeover. And do you consider it a maxis makeover when the person doing it uses plastic surgery?

Personally, a maxis makeover is a thing where you change hairstyles, clothes, makeup and other things like that to make the maxis sims look a little nicer. Using plastic surgery, to me, kind of defeats the point of it, because they won't be how they were meant to be anymore, and I think, if you do that, no offence to the people who do, it can't really be counted as a maxis makeover.

Sorry if I offend anyone or anything like that, but I am interested.

Well, since the OP asks for an opinion, I am going to give my opinion on how I define "Maxis Makeover" for my game. For me, a Maxis Makeover would be make-overing the pre-made houses and sims so that the houses and sims can be uniquely attributed to an individual in a simming community, and that hypothetical individual must somehow change the sim in any way (hairdo, accessories, clothes) but not genetics or change the house in any way (reshape or redecorate the house but not build from scratch or move a family into a new house). I go by this specific definition, because specificity works for me. I like detail and specificity, and I can go on forever on the subject. :lol:

In general, the basic idea of a "Maxis Makeover" is to make-over something created by Maxis. How slight or how drastic of a change may vary from person to person.

sushigal007
26th Apr 2012, 2:28 PM
I stick with the maxis_taste LJ Maxis Makeover rules - hair, clothes and makeup is fine, default replacement skin and eyes are fine, but no plastic surgery. I also try to stick to the original hair colours (although I'll allow Lilith Pleasant a wild dye job) and clothing style. I don't like Maxis Makeovers where I can't tell who it's supposed to be anymore!