PDA

View Full Version : Question about setting up Hogwarts.

Glitchie
30th Apr 2012, 11:01 AM
Hey all, I want to play my game in the Harry Potter world with Hogwarts. I've heard a lot of things on the cheat sites about NOT going to school/work if your sims have aspirations of family etc. I'd like to use the Hogwarts setting but not sure if I need it as a dorm, secret society or residential building to have the four houses represented. Do I need to make Hogwarts a school in the University pack or something? :confused:

maxon
30th Apr 2012, 1:19 PM
Personally, I would do Hogwarts as a school using the Inge Jones school hacks. You could do it as a university but it would mean that all the students there would have to be young adults. I'd also create Hogsmead and Hogwarts on a separate shopping district map because both are far away from other settings in the books and you'd be able to make the countryside mountainous to reflect the setting (especially if you made your own terrain or DL a custom mountainous one) but that's just me.

Glitchie
30th Apr 2012, 1:58 PM
But where do I get the hacks? And I've never really got into the sims games with my hubby's school so I don't know what I'm doing as far as building my own stuff. Heh, not really sure by what you mean in different districts for the shopping either. I'm basically a noob.

Peni Griffin
30th Apr 2012, 3:11 PM
Well, do you have Open for Business installed? If you do, you can attach any number of dependent neighborhoods, called shopping districts, to your main hood. These function a lot like Downtown, your attached colleges, and your vacation neighborhoods, but don't have their own automatically-generated townies. Like Downtown, they can be lived in normally, or reserved for community lots, or undergo mixed-use development.

Don't worry, we were all noobs once. Someday you will be answering these questions for newer noobs, probably sooner than you think.

Glitchie
30th Apr 2012, 3:29 PM
I've got all the expansion packs and stuff packs installed. Just not sure what they all do, LOL. Or really how to expand my play beyond the original game play of Sims 2 and a bit of University.

Ghost sdoj
30th Apr 2012, 4:18 PM
The school hacks are at Simlogical, which is at http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforum/index.php. The school hacks are in the Sims 2 Download section under Institution. It is going to require a bit of setting up to get things working. You can ask in WCIF about lots that would work for you, but you need to adjust the school yourself.

When you start a new neighborhood, the game asks if you want to associate the districts that become available with new EPs. If you said "no", there are icons along the top of the neighborhood screen that you can click. If you have OFB, you can click the one with the OFB symbol to set up/switch to the shopping district. Since you have NL, you can also set it up Downtown. (Which will allow vampires to be showing up. This may or may not be something you want. It also generates the Downtownies unless you get a mod to prevent that.)

Since everything is installed, you can expand your gameplay naturally by simply watching new wants and fears for your sims, and filling as many of them as you care to. (Be careful; once you fill a want, they do tend to ask for more. "Own a business" very quickly turns into something akin to "Own every business in town. Plus a couple more that haven't even been built yet." And "Hire everybody I've ever seen to work in my dad's home business, even if I'm only a toddler and haven't even learned to talk yet." becomes a problem, too. I ended up with a lot of "Temp-hire" townies. Every time I went to another lot, I would hire any townie my sim wanted to hire, as long as they weren't "essential personnel" at another business. Then they would be sent home and never used unless they were actually needed. When I couldn't hire any more and had some more wants that wouldn't go away, I would switch to another lot and hire the temp workers away from the first business.)

Maybe you have a sim who would enjoy not having a job, and spending all day gardening and fishing? (Maybe with a dog or a cat who has a job?) Or another sim who would make sense wanting to own everything in town? If you really pay attention to your sims, they are likely to expand your gameplay naturally.

Peni Griffin
30th Apr 2012, 4:34 PM
Personally I would also advise that, since you are so new, you alternate practice play with premades in one neighborhood with serious world-building in Hogwarts. That way you have sims you can experiment on that you're not as invested in as the Hogwarts ones, and you won't get all stressed because you don't know how to accomplish what you want where it matters. We all have different playstyles, though, and if you're game to experiment on the sims you love best, go right ahead. Sometimes the best storylines come from experiements that don't work the way you expected but throw up something wonderful you never would have thought of yourself.

Back up your important neighborhoods regularly (this is just a matter of copying the folder from My Documents someplace safe, like an exterior drive) so any disasters can be undone.

Mostly, relax and have fun. It's possible to get really stressed about all the stuff that might go wrong from reading some of these boards, but really nothing is likely to go irretrievably wrong if you use your common sense, and there's no point playing if you don't have fun. The only wrong way to play is not to enjoy it.

maxon
30th Apr 2012, 5:48 PM
I'd second Peni's suggestions, both about playing with premades to begin with (though I never really did that myself but then I played the first game to death) and about backing up.

As far as OFB and shopping districts go - basically what the others have said. Adding a shopping district is simply adding on an extra bit of neighbourhood - it's a new map basically - where you can develop a little community or set of shops or whatever. Downtowns are similar but, as Peni said, tend to generate more stuff you probably won't use (or use immediately) in your game. Shopping districts are the most flexible of the add on hoods. BUT, if you decide to go this route, DON'T just press the big button you can see as soon as you start up the process. That will add the version of the shopping district that came with the game and will generate more stuff for your game that you probably won't use. That is to say a whole bunch of muggles already in residence on the map - you don't really want that, all the townies are going to be annoying muggles as it is. If you want a custom sub-hood (as they are called), you need to scroll past that button and pick a custom terrain from the selection. There is quite a nice terrain, as I remember, featuring a mountain and a lake - that might work very well for the castle to sit next to. You could then create a series of shops and a station as Hogsmeade itself a little way away.

Your main hood, you could devote to being London (in which case create it with a concrete base) or maybe to the homes of some of the characters with London being your Downtown (again scroll past the big button for a custom map).

If you use the school hacks, again personally speaking, I'd make the school a boarding school - Hogwarts is basically a boarding school. In which case, you'd have the teachers live in as the main family and then summon all the children and teens from your neighbourhood to attend school and sleep and eat there until you decide it's the end of term and send them all home again (they won't travel on the train unfortunately).

Glitchie
30th Apr 2012, 6:40 PM
Thanks for all the tips, everyone. Maxon, I'm sorry, I'm still not understanding HOW to make the school a boarding school. It was what I was planning, yes, just not sure the steps/packs I would use to do so.

moonlight_frog
1st May 2012, 7:37 AM
Btw, if you're looking for Harry Potter stuff 'n' stuff, this set seems like the charm: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=145882

The only problem is that I don't know whether or not it's compatible with all the EPs since it's from 2006... download with caution!

Frostwyrm
1st May 2012, 10:00 PM
I'd recommend to use an "only locals walkby" hack (there is one on MATY), because nobody knows where Hogwarts is.

maxon
1st May 2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the tips, everyone. Maxon, I'm sorry, I'm still not understanding HOW to make the school a boarding school. It was what I was planning, yes, just not sure the steps/packs I would use to do so.
The boarding school is a hack - that is player made, not part of the original game. Someone posted the link upthread. If you want to know how it works, you're better reading the documentation that comes with it.

Glitchie
1st May 2012, 10:49 PM
I'd recommend to use an "only locals walkby" hack (there is one on MATY), because nobody knows where Hogwarts is.

Okay, cool. Where is that again? Not sure of the acronym.

Night Racer
2nd May 2012, 2:12 AM
MATY: More Awesome Than You
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/

You want the second forum set down; TS2 Burninataion > Peasantry
If you need help with something, be careful about asking there. While that site is full of some of the more experienced and capable modders of the game, they also tend to be a bit harsh twords new people if a strict set of rules and regulations arent followed before posting. One simple mistake can make a whole thread full of insults and debates twords you. Im not saying this is a bad thing, just fore warning.

Also, I dunno if this would work, just throwing it out there:
Would setting up hogwarts as an apartment work? 4 apartments for each house, allowing 8 sims per house, 4 male 4 female? Would Inges mod work in the communal area of an apartment? :/

Glitchie
3rd May 2012, 7:21 PM
Okay, so I got my residential set up as a school using the school mods, I know in Uni, you can claim your dorm, is there something like this that the teachers/headmaster only have specific rooms? I've also been wondering if its possible to to be both witchy and werewolf...

Darby
3rd May 2012, 8:24 PM
I've also been wondering if its possible to to be both witchy and werewolf...

Yes. In fact, alien vampire werewolf zombie plantsim witches are also possible. ;)

Dagi_is_a_punk
3rd May 2012, 9:26 PM
Yes. In fact, alien vampire werewolf zombie plantsim witches are also possible. ;)

Sims can be both vampires and zombies? Now I 'm curious to see how that would look like! :lol:

Darby
3rd May 2012, 9:38 PM
I've never done much with zombies, but am particularly curious to see how a zombie werewolf would "walk". :lol:

Glitchie
3rd May 2012, 11:50 PM
One other thing I forgot to ask was is there a way to assign dorm mates? Keeping different housemates (Slytherins, etc) together instead of mingling the dorm rooms? I mean, we don't want Gryffindors in the Slytherin dorms, vice versa or anything like that. I'd also like to have the teachers and the headmaster sleeping in their own chambers instead of any old bed. HAHA

maxon
4th May 2012, 7:42 AM
Also, I dunno if this would work, just throwing it out there:
Would setting up hogwarts as an apartment work? 4 apartments for each house, allowing 8 sims per house, 4 male 4 female? Would Inges mod work in the communal area of an apartment? :/
The school mods were made long before AL and were never updated - I shouldn't think so.

However, if you wanted to set up a throwaway hood and experiment, feel free.

One other thing I forgot to ask was is there a way to assign dorm mates? Keeping different housemates (Slytherins, etc) together instead of mingling the dorm rooms? I mean, we don't want Gryffindors in the Slytherin dorms, vice versa or anything like that. I'd also like to have the teachers and the headmaster sleeping in their own chambers instead of any old bed. HAHA
For this you might want something like assignable beds or maybe Inge Jones's lockable doors where you give a key (a token for the inventory) to each sim allowed in a particular room.

katalina522
4th May 2012, 2:11 PM
The school hacks work perfectly fine with both the Authorized Personnel Only object (from MATY) or with the various lockable doors available for download (here (http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=129124) or here (http://www.drealm.info/simlogical/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2_AccessControl.htm)). Any of those options allow you to simulate an apartment on a residential lot. Or you can try what maxon suggested, and build an apartment in a new neighborhood and test everything out.

I just use the "Myne" door that came with the Uni EP for bedroom spaces, as you can assign and lock it.

*EDIT: it occurs to me that you wouldn't want to run this scenario in an apartment anyway, because I'm assuming you can only control one family per apartment building? The school hack works by making all the students *temporary* members of the house; you really only need one teacher to live on the lot in order to properly run a school. (To make the students live there, you can simply opt not to ring the school bell for dismissal. Just make sure you either a) set the school changer to Flexi School; or b) download the object that blocks the school bus from coming to your "school" lot, or else all your kids will flunk out.)

maxon
4th May 2012, 2:38 PM
I just use the "Myne" door that came with the Uni EP for bedroom spaces, as you can assign and lock it.
That works fine for individual bedrooms but I think the OP wanted dormitories as in the books/films. That's how the Simlogical four key doors might work better. You can have more than one Myne Door into a room (and so have two or more people share a room) but that just looks weird.

Peni Griffin
4th May 2012, 2:40 PM
You can have up to four households per apartment building, and when you play one household the others act like townies.

Glitchie
10th May 2012, 12:55 AM
Hmm, thanks for the great tips everyone! I think I will try them. Okay, last question... I think, LOL Can I build a Dorm Hogwarts in the University EP, and have it work, if so does it need to be a residential or community lot? The one I'm working on currently is a residential lot. I was wondering because I''m trying to figure out how to make neighborhoods (Little Whinging - Harry, Ottery St. Catchpole etc, go to Hogwarts).

katalina522
10th May 2012, 1:03 AM
I've experimented with a HP-styled Uni dorm, but it isn't the best choice if you want to be able to bring in teachers, or have students who represent the different age groups from child--teen/YA. Plus you have to deal with all of Uni's annoying game behaviors unless you add hacks to block them all (the mascots, dormies hiding out in their bedrooms, everyone *leaving* to go to class instead of coming to the lot, etc.) If you build the school on a residential lot, you will be able to control all the kids' grades, what they study, and how they interact with each other.

If you don't have a lot of EPs, I would just suggest visually breaking up your neighborhood map into different "sub-hoods" and decorating each one to suit the fictional town you want (like Hogsmeade or Litle Whinging).

Glitchie
10th May 2012, 2:40 AM
I have all the eps, just not used them all yet... so I don't know the ins and outs. I have an owl pet, and I have crookshanks as well, but apparently, I can't get the owl pet in the beginning even though I have it. It only gives me dogs and cats.

Darby
10th May 2012, 2:51 AM
If by "in the beginning" you mean in CAS (CAF - Create a Sim/Create a Family - whichever), adult or elder cats and dogs are the only pets available there.

For birds, you have to wait until you're on an inhabited lot and can buy a bird cage, which will come with a bird of your choosing.

Glitchie
10th May 2012, 3:40 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks!

Glitchie
10th May 2012, 8:56 AM
Guh, building a basement sucks... LOL

I just found out on the Harry Potter Wiki located on this thread http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Chamber_of_Secrets that the Chamber of Secrets (which I was going to put in my Hogwarts along with the Sorcerer's stone rooms) is BELOW the dungeons... Oh well, LOL they will be ON my dungeon level cause basements are a pain in the butt for me to build.

maxon
10th May 2012, 10:42 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks!
Well they had to buy Hedwig from Diagon Alley anyway.

Guh, building a basement sucks... LOL

I just found out on the Harry Potter Wiki located on this thread http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Chamber_of_Secrets that the Chamber of Secrets (which I was going to put in my Hogwarts along with the Sorcerer's stone rooms) is BELOW the dungeons... Oh well, LOL they will be ON my dungeon level cause basements are a pain in the butt for me to build.
It's actually pretty easy to do basements. Just 12 careful clicks down under the foundation (watch out for the double dips with the clicks - just use the undo feature). Twelve clicks and you can build walls and everything. Another way to get the right level is just to use three lots of the expandable stairs on open ground - then use the terrain level tool to drag the level over to your basement area.

Glitchie
10th May 2012, 11:18 PM
Hmm... well this is disappointing; I can't find any statues of snakes, other than small and for Sims 3 (I only have Sims 2 right now) for my Chamber of Secrets. Debating if perhaps I should just leave off the chamber as it will only be aesthetic and have no real function anyway.

Hah, maybe I should have used the word 'tedious' instead of 'pain in the butt' and 'hard''. I'm working on a 5x6 lot XD

maxon
11th May 2012, 10:14 AM
Hmm... well this is disappointing; I can't find any statues of snakes, other than small and for Sims 3 (I only have Sims 2 right now) for my Chamber of Secrets. Debating if perhaps I should just leave off the chamber as it will only be aesthetic and have no real function anyway.

Hah, maybe I should have used the word 'tedious' instead of 'pain in the butt' and 'hard''. I'm working on a 5x6 lot XD
Try the WCIF section - it's amazing what people know about over there.

Glitchie
12th May 2012, 6:43 AM
Thanks I made a post.