PDA

View Full Version : Deleted a gravestone - best way to minimize damage?

Benjamin M
11th May 2012, 9:42 PM
Hey all,

As the topic title suggests, I accidentally removed a gravestone from my new college neighbourhood. Now, I know that my neighbourhood is eventually going to go crazy and die a horrible death, but for now I'd like to live in denial and keep playing it until the fateful day comes. So I was wondering - is there a way to minimize the damage somehow?

Background info:
It was in a fairly new college subhood, with only 2 characters in. I played one of my characters for about 5 sim hours and then I killed him (I'm a prick). I moved the lot containing his gravestone into the Lots & Houses Bin, then I placed the lot back down again and of course the gravestone was gone.

The guy only knew 1 other person. So I'm hoping that the damage won't spread too quickly via Memories at least. And I'm wondering, is it safe to remove the other person's memory of meeting the guy and of him dying?

I understand that the damage is also spread by Gossip tokens given randomly to other sims throughout the hood, and I was wondering if there's a way to minimize this? For example, could I occasionally enter SimPE and remove the offending tokens (I know it would be long winded)? When are those tokens generated? Does each sim get a bunch of random Gossip tokens as soon as they're created?

Apart from Memories and Gossip, are there any other complications from my mistake that will eventually cause damage? For example, I think I've seen stuff in SimPE about "Neighbourhood Memory" which I don't know anything about yet. Is there anywhere in particular that the Neighbourhood holds a memory of this guy's death?

Basically, I would like to understand as much about my mistake as possible and then I would like to limit the damage done for as long as I can! :)

As always, any help gratefully received... this neighbourhood is my favourite and I'm determined not to lose it too soon just because of a silly absent-minded mistake. :help:

maxon
12th May 2012, 12:16 AM
As the topic title suggests, I accidentally removed a gravestone from my new college neighbourhood. Now, I know that my neighbourhood is eventually going to go crazy and die a horrible death, but for now I'd like to live in denial and keep playing it until the fateful day comes. So I was wondering - is there a way to minimize the damage somehow?
Yes, don't do it again.

The guy only knew 1 other person. So I'm hoping that the damage won't spread too quickly via Memories at least. And I'm wondering, is it safe to remove the other person's memory of meeting the guy and of him dying?
It's actually likely he knew more than one since they develop relationships with NPCs sometimes when they are simply on the same lot together. However, deleting memories is fine. You use the memory editor in SimPE. Make sure it is a memory though - don't delete anything else unless you know what you are doing. Anything in grey leave well alone. You can identify the relevant memories by looking at who owns the memory and who the subject is. You might find that the subject is missing - this is a corrupted memory so you can delete it.

I understand that the damage is also spread by Gossip tokens given randomly to other sims throughout the hood, and I was wondering if there's a way to minimize this? For example, could I occasionally enter SimPE and remove the offending tokens (I know it would be long winded)? When are those tokens generated? Does each sim get a bunch of random Gossip tokens as soon as they're created?
Well, if you get all the corrupted memories on your editing spree, there should be no need to periodically delete gossip tokens about the death since there will be no memories to pass on. However, that sounds easier to do than it actually is since the sims generate a lot of crap in their memories. You can use Pescado's batbox to periodically clean up gossip memories. I do it by hand myself (and deal with any problems as I go) but then I've been doing it for years and Little Carping's memory bank is very clean and it's more a maintenance thing for me. Cleaning up a played hood by hand is a PITA. The tokens are generated when the sims talk to each other or when things happen when they are together on lots. For example, you will see, if you have a look, that drivers and tourist guides have a bajillion memories of events in your sims' lives, like when they got promotions or they had a bust up. Don't ask me why, they just do.

Apart from Memories and Gossip, are there any other complications from my mistake that will eventually cause damage? For example, I think I've seen stuff in SimPE about "Neighbourhood Memory" which I don't know anything about yet. Is there anywhere in particular that the Neighbourhood holds a memory of this guy's death?
The neighbourhood memory is just, well, what it says it is - it contains all the memories of the hood (really). Your sims' memories are not stored with individual sims but in the neighbourhood memory. That's what you edit when in SimPE. The sims are linked to it by their NiDs (their individual reference numbers). There are possibly several memories of his death but they'll all be in the neighbourhood memory but assigned to individual sims - you'll see what I mean when you open up the memory editor in SimPE. If you're not sure about what you can delete, ask again. I can always post a couple of pics. But have a look first - it's actually fairly clear once you get in there.

Mootilda
12th May 2012, 2:25 AM
If you run the HoodChecker in Check mode, you can get some idea of what needs to be fixed.

Benjamin M
12th May 2012, 12:12 PM
Maxon, thanks for all the advice. I've gone into SimPE and removed the two guys' memories of meeting each other, and the living guy's memory of the other guy dying. I removed their relations as well so that it would be as if they'd never known each other (was I right to do that?).

Thanks for the HoodChecker, Mootilda. It looks really useful. :)

In the HoodChecker, I got:
4 instances of "Sim has no Character file"
23 instances of "Invalid relationship with self"
309 instances of "Memories", all apparently to do with the townies and premade families who I killed off.

I had a back up, so I decided to try the Remove feature of HoodChecker and see how that went. It appeared to remove a lot of the problems it found and now I'm going through the memories. Lots of them are to do with the Tricous; many of their memories were about $Subject. Does it matter when a dead sim has a $Subject memory? I'm removing them anyway, just in case.

Again, thanks everyone for all the help. :)

Benjamin M
12th May 2012, 5:37 PM
You use the memory editor in SimPE. Make sure it is a memory though - don't delete anything else unless you know what you are doing. Anything in blue or green leave well alone. You can identify the relevant memories by looking at who owns the memory and who the subject is. You might find that the subject is missing - this is a corrupted memory so you can delete it.

I'm seeing a lot of "invisible" $Subject memories, which are blue in SimPE. Delete or keep?

Mootilda
12th May 2012, 5:41 PM
Can anyone verify whether SimPE properly handles memory subjects which are CC? If so, then any remaining $Subject memories are corrupt and should be removed. If not, then you would need to determine whether the $Subject is valid CC or not.

maxon
12th May 2012, 11:23 PM
I'm seeing a lot of "invisible" $Subject memories, which are blue in SimPE. Delete or keep?
Yes, sorry, I mispoke before - the blue invisible entries are the gossip memories, the ones that get passed on. Those are the ones that the batbox gets rid of if you use the delete gossip function. You can delete those though expect the sims to have nothing to talk about for a while.

The green ones are things in the sim's inventory. This is useful to know because sometimes stuff gets corrupted in the inventory and it can cause the game to crash when you try to open the inventory. If that happens, you can delete the item from SimPE here.

DON'T delete the sort-of greyed out ones.

You asked before about relationships - yes, it's ok to delete them or alter them though you probably should have a look under the family ties tab too for any connections (that's assuming your sim has relatives).

I'm going to go back and alter my last post about deleting memories.

Incidentally, when you said you deleted the memories of both sims meeting one another and the live sim remembering the other sim dying - did the memories have a subject and picture of the 'deleted' sim? Because if it did, it means the sim's character file still has some information in it. It might be worth checking whether the file has been ripped.

Can anyone verify whether SimPE properly handles memory subjects which are CC? If so, then any remaining $Subject memories are corrupt and should be removed. If not, then you would need to determine whether the $Subject is valid CC or not.
AFAIK yes - do you mean in custom memories? You can alter them in SimPE and they display properly in game anyway (at least the custom memories I have).

Mootilda
12th May 2012, 11:46 PM
No, I meant memories with custom subjects. For example, memories about custom objects or custom NPCs. Does SimPE read the current set of CC and resolve all GUIDs?