PDA

View Full Version : If another company created The Sims...

Gazelove
21st May 2012, 1:17 AM
What would it be like? You have to admit that Maxis was smart about some of the ways they went about it. Enabling custom content being the main thing.

What do you think would be different? Different devs might think the aspiration system is useless, for example.

I know some people will rant a bit so let's try to keep the EA-bashing to a minimum for the mods' sake, lol.

Alijah
21st May 2012, 1:36 AM
As a giant Elder Scrolls fan, I would have love to seen Bethesda take a crack at the sims. It'd have all the simulation/domestic aspects of Sims that I love so much, mixed in with a heavy dose of adventure, quests, and amazing plotlines.

DigitalSympathies
21st May 2012, 2:51 AM
Valve taking it over would have it more task-based (more TS2 than TS3 with wants and fears and goals), with shinier, less cartoonish graphics, but still with the same dark humour we know and love and expect.

Alijah
21st May 2012, 3:00 AM
Valve taking it over would have it more task-based (more TS2 than TS3 with wants and fears and goals), with shinier, less cartoonish graphics, but still with the same dark humour we know and love and expect.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Oh, good! My slow clap processor made it into this thing!

I would love love love to have a GlaDOS sim. She could be like Mrs. Crumplebottom. But instead of beating you with her purse, she'd try to murder you.

RebaLynnTS
21st May 2012, 3:52 AM
I vote for RLM-soft, because that means I would have made, and would be rich :)

GEGNER
21st May 2012, 3:56 AM
Maybe they would of playtested enough to know not to delete sims, or a variety of other things, for that matter.

Yazoo
21st May 2012, 5:01 AM
I dunno why, but seeing I am a Huge HUGE TOMB RAIDER fan. I would say Crystal Dynamics. I guess they would bring a new way to Sims. More action. :P Or even Square Enix. That would be pretty awesome. Seeing they did make Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, and I am huge fan of that game as well. More cool hair, and clothing. Ah, just an awesome idea too Sims.

It would be really neat to see what they would do, if they took over the Sims. I mean EA is okay, don't get me wrong. Just their...I guess their interactions get rather boring after you have used them a bagillion times. >.<

I have no clue, just yeah. Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix :D

SusannaG
21st May 2012, 6:14 AM
I am giggling at the notion of Paradox Games making The Sims - they make historical strategy titles, mostly.

There'd still be active discussion at the official site about Sims 1, let alone Sims 2 (including from the developers), and you wouldn't need to insert the CD every time you wanted to start the game, either.

Your sim would also be able to acquire cassus belli on the neighbors, and declare war on them - thus expanding the size of the lot, if victorious. All sims would wear armor.

vhanster
21st May 2012, 10:22 AM
If Square Enix took on the Sims, the graphic would have a much more detailed maps and object textures. Then the clothes would probably consist of belts and boots and chained accessories.

Aegagropilon
21st May 2012, 11:40 AM
If Square Enix took on the Sims, the graphic would have a much more detailed maps and object textures. Then the clothes would probably consist of belts and boots and chained accessories.

And either moogles or chocobos would replace llamas :llama:

SusannaG
21st May 2012, 6:39 PM
Oh yes, and a Paradox Sims would replace the llama with the platypus.

Ujimushiko
22nd May 2012, 9:17 PM
Everything would be belts, chains, and outfits that don't make sense.

labellavienna
22nd May 2012, 9:47 PM
I agree....anything square enix would be crazy outrageous outfits that are horribly tacky lol. I'd say naughty dog or rockstar games for the win.

Yazoo
22nd May 2012, 10:04 PM
Everything would be belts, chains, and outfits that don't make sense.

Look at clothes from Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. Most of the clothing is belts, chains, etc. But their clothing is actually pretty cool, in my eyes. Its different instead of what you see now. Girls trying to fit in tight clothing, hence why the appearence of Lara Croft has changed, because they wanted her to be normal looking and not be some big titted bimbo.

Though I have been a fan of Lara Croft since Tomb Raider came out. I am glad that they are changing her up a bit. Because when I first saw her, I continued to ask myself:

"How can a woman with her..."Size" shimmy up walls and stuff?"

But yes, Square Enix has some interesting ideas for clothing. But Square Enix hit huge when they came out with Final Fantasy, but this was when they were known as Square Soft, Square Soft ended up changing their name to "Square Enix" later on. On that note, they didn't just make Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, they did come out with horror Survival games as well. One being:

Parasite Eve

Changing their look once again. Square Enix is very diverse with their gaming, not only in clothes (lol) but in other attributes. Game design, and game atmosphere. Parasite Eve scared the crap out of me, when it first came out. I mean heck, they did make Tomb Raider as well :) With Crystal Dynamics.

So I do believe that Square Enix formally known as Square Soft would make Sims a bit better. :)

I agree....anything square enix would be crazy outrageous outfits that are horribly tacky lol. I'd say naughty dog or rockstar games for the win.

Outrageous clothing would be awesome, especially, when if your making like an Anime feel or want to make a Final Fanatasy sort of story. Square Enix would bring a new light to the Sims. And plus, I would love to have crazy hair for my Sims :P And maybe girls could have like cooler clothes.

Then again, all of my girl Sims go one way, and that is the way of the rainbow. I am sure eventually I will have straight female sims. Ahem, yeah. But I wouldn't mind having outrageous clothing.

labellavienna
22nd May 2012, 11:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with outrageous outfits, If square enix made the sims it would be too veered towards a specific crowd in my opinion. I like realistic, and practicality...and I think there are others out there who like that too. Parasite eve was one of my favorite game of all time, i think it is actually my top 5...and tomb raider is definitely my number 3.

I kinda would like a grungified sims...that would be awesome. Something similar to Bethesda's fallout.

perihelion
23rd May 2012, 3:52 AM
If Rockstar made the Sims, it would be a hell of a lot darker and a lot less cartoonish and a lot of the pop culture references would be of a sexual nature. People wouldn't need to make murder mods. On the other hand, Sims would look a lot more realistic if the game franchise was released around the time of Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto 4. Also, the outfits would kick ass - you'd have a wide array of outfits ranging from cowboy costumes to pimp suits. Unfortunately the DRM would be worse than EA's.

Too bad 3DO went bust after Might and Magic IX came out, I'd like to see what Sims would look like if it was powered by the Lithtech engine. Maybe the folks behind Unreal 3 (Lithtech FEAR) could show us.

ID Software - the makers of Doom - would not only have cranked up the gore to eleven, but crammed photorealistic detail into every last texel - you'd practically need a supercomputer to run the game. Not to mention the transform and lighting would suck beyond belief. On the bright side, my Serial Killer Challenge would be built right in. >:)

Microsoft. Oh gods, can you imagine? It wouldn't be called the Sims, they'd call it "Microsoft Dollhouse Simulator" or something equally bland. There'd be no Mac port, there'd be no CC allowed, but at least it would be ported to the Xbox 360 a lot sooner.

Firaxis, the makers of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and the Civilization franchise: I don't think they'd even think of making something like the Sims, but if they did they'd sure as hell fill it with a lot of gameplay detail. Sims would not only be concerned with their lives, families and aspirations, they'd have to research technology to get better things for their homes, negotiate with people in neighbouring towns for supplies, organize civil defense and things like that.

Blizzard wouldn't allow CC, but Sims Medieval would be out a lot sooner... :P

Simsica
23rd May 2012, 6:00 AM
I agree about the Civilization franchise - we'd need someone experienced with simulation to do the game.

In my heart of hearts though, I'd give it to Bethesda. I have a soft spot for that company and their work in my heart, and that rarely, if ever, happens to me. I've joined the Elder Scrolls junkies only with Morrowind, the third title, but ever since I first walked from Seyda Neen to Balmora I was hooked. Oblivion took the series a step into the simulation games teritory, and it was a step in the rightest of all directions. Skyrim is building on that experience, improving it. I expect the next title to be an almost perfect game in every respect, at least as far as I'm concerned. Bethesda has never dissapointed me.

Oh, and in some paralel universe it's still Maxis - the one that did TS1 and conceptualized TS2 - doing this series. I wish I lived there :(

Alijah
23rd May 2012, 7:24 AM
In my heart of hearts though, I'd give it to Bethesda. I have a soft spot for that company and their work in my heart, and that rarely, if ever, happens to me. I've joined the Elder Scrolls junkies only with Morrowind, the third title, but ever since I first walked from Seyda Neen to Balmora I was hooked. Oblivion took the series a step into the simulation games teritory, and it was a step in the rightest of all directions. Skyrim is building on that experience, improving it. I expect the next title to be an almost perfect game in every respect, at least as far as I'm concerned. Bethesda has never dissapointed me.

<3

I still remember the first time I played Morrowind and stepped into Seyda Neen. From then on I was in love.

I bought TSM in the hopes it would fulfill some of my love for the rpg/adventure/fantasy genre, but I have so far been disappointed. It's not a bad game, it's just not as adventurous as I had hoped. My favorite part of TES games was the actual going into the forest, hunting down rare mushrooms for my potions and finding new caves/mines. Clicking on the forest and selecting "explore forest" doesn't have the same effect :(

Simsica
23rd May 2012, 7:44 AM
My favorite part of TES games was the actual going into the forest, hunting down rare mushrooms for my potions and finding new caves/mines.

I was an accomplished alchemist myself :) What am i saying?! I AM an accomplished alchemist! And I'm working on re-installing Morrowind, with all the best of the mods there are out there. It's a grand game by its own right.

ETA: You should see my lab in my Anvil manor. You'd be jealous :P Of course, Oblivion is still proudly installed on my PC, with all my lvl 40+ characters. It's like TS2 for me - I'll never give it up.

saskganesh
23rd May 2012, 5:33 PM
I am giggling at the notion of Paradox Games making The Sims - they make historical strategy titles, mostly.

There'd still be active discussion at the official site about Sims 1, let alone Sims 2 (including from the developers), and you wouldn't need to insert the CD every time you wanted to start the game, either.

Your sim would also be able to acquire cassus belli on the neighbors, and declare war on them - thus expanding the size of the lot, if victorious. All sims would wear armor.

We'd have a lot of IKEA furniture to place. Everyone would drive Volvos. The soundtrack would feature Abba but also Scandinavian Death Metal.

Every chance card would feature some economic history.

And there would be a lot of patches, all developed by Johann in his ... Free Time.

saskganesh
23rd May 2012, 7:22 PM
Oh I forgot. Paradox would ship historical households. Like:

" Meet the Bonaparte Family. Will young Napoleon be able to realise his continental dreams of conquest at work? Will his wife, divorcee Josephine, be able to stave off dynastic competition from the high society Hapsburg household? And will stepson Eugene be given Italy to rule or will he choose a rock star career instead?"

DigitalSympathies
24th May 2012, 1:34 AM
A Fallout-like sims game would have my money before it was even THOUGHT OF, that's how bad I want it. *drools*

Lady L.
24th May 2012, 4:42 AM
If Rockstar made the Sims, it would be a hell of a lot darker and a lot less cartoonish and a lot of the pop culture references would be of a sexual nature. People wouldn't need to make murder mods. On the other hand, Sims would look a lot more realistic if the game franchise was released around the time of Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto 4. Also, the outfits would kick ass - you'd have a wide array of outfits ranging from cowboy costumes to pimp suits. Unfortunately the DRM would be worse than EA's.

Depends on what era of Rockstar games we're talking here. If we're talking about Sims 2, which was released pre-San Andreas, then it would probably be closer to the aesthetic we have now, only with more sex and violence. But I wouldn't want them to make a Sims game now, not after GTA IV. It would be, like you said, way too dark.

Plus after Hot Coffee, they wouldn't take the risk and allow CC.

Alijah
24th May 2012, 8:15 AM
I was an accomplished alchemist myself :) What am i saying?! I AM an accomplished alchemist! And I'm working on re-installing Morrowind, with all the best of the mods there are out there. It's a grand game by its own right.

ETA: You should see my lab in my Anvil manor. You'd be jealous :P Of course, Oblivion is still proudly installed on my PC, with all my lvl 40+ characters. It's like TS2 for me - I'll never give it up.

Anvil was my HOME, I loved that place! It was my favorite city and the house was awesome.

... and just like that, it's time to reinstall Morrowind and Oblivion! XD Skyrim is already in my xbox :D

Simsica
25th May 2012, 7:02 AM
Anvil was my HOME, I loved that place! It was my favorite city and the house was awesome.

... and just like that, it's time to reinstall Morrowind and Oblivion! XD Skyrim is already in my xbox :D

I tried to move to Skingrad. I did, I swear. Luckily, there's that "fast travel" functionality in there, so I could run back to Anvil almost immediately after I saw the place. It's not a bad place, just not homey enough.

Imagine Sims living in a hood like Anvil. Ooookay... Now I'm thinking about getting SC4 and building the map myself. Unless someone knows about an already existing Anvil SC4 map? Please? Pretty please, with a cherry on top?

ETA: Fallout. Fallout... OMG, I still shudder whenever some 1950s music comes up. I love the game (at least those titles Bethesda made) but it makes my stomach turn and my head implode. That game forced me to act against my own dearly held personal principles. I chose the wellbeing of many over the wellbeing of one suffering individual. I left Harold alive just so that the wasteland could one day be green again. I never believed that Harold was at peace with himself after I chose this. I wouldn't be.
I think of this game as an experience that showed me what I really am, in my heart of hearts. A person who would leave someone to suffer. No matter the conditions, I was so shocked with myself. No other game has ever done this to me.

revit
25th May 2012, 7:38 AM
Natsume.. they are good at simulation game, like Harvest moon and Metropolismania.

Alijah
25th May 2012, 7:50 AM
Imagine Sims living in a hood like Anvil. Ooookay... Now I'm thinking about getting SC4 and building the map myself. Unless someone knows about an already existing Anvil SC4 map? Please? Pretty please, with a cherry on top?

I would download that in a heartbeat! If I were better at building, I would try to remake some of the houses. And I would make a Martin sim so my simmie could fall in love with him because he was so amazing <3

I also really really loved the Imperial City, even that tiny shack. It seemed fitting for my character who was dressed in rags for the first bit of the game.

I love Harvest Moon so much, but I have found that it's really easy to replicate most of that game play in the sims. I've even created a challenge based on Harvest Moon and I've got a farmer sim now trying to build up her farm in 3 years. :)

Edit: Also, agree wholeheartedly on Skingrad. It was a cool looking house and I really did love the city, but it was not homey at all. Next to Anvil, Bruma was my second favorite. I loved the cozy little log cabin feel to it, nestled up in the mountains. But once I finished that Mage's Guild quest... you know the one :( Bruma was too sad after that!

maybesomethingdunno
26th May 2012, 4:02 AM

I'm suprised no one's mentioned this, but:

If Value had made The Sims, there would be no TS3....since, you know, "Valve can't count to three" as they say. :rolleyes:

DigitalSympathies
26th May 2012, 4:22 AM
I'm suprised no one's mentioned this, but:

If Value had made The Sims, there would be no TS3....since, you know, "Valve can't count to three" as they say. :rolleyes:

Well, for some (cough me cough) that would prove a good thing. But then again, there's already news on TS4 (cough knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody cough) so I will reserve an opinion on that statement until 2014. :anime:

simsample
8th Jun 2012, 3:26 PM
If another company created The Sims...What would it be like?
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/35792_120608092507Bluefunk_Sims2-Alt.jpg

:lol:

perihelion
8th Jun 2012, 4:39 PM
LOLWUT

Sims Minecraft, now there's food for thought.

If Sims 2 had been made the makers of EVE Online, Sims would be not only travelling in space, they'd be swindling each other blind and cratering each others' homes over the pettiest of differences.

maxon
8th Jun 2012, 6:56 PM
Is that Edwin in your party SimSample? I'm surprised you could keep him there with Jaheira, Minsc and Khalid.

Mollyums
9th Jun 2012, 3:43 AM
Bethesda! I just played Skyrim for about 5 hours, so they're the only people I can think of. That and VALVe. They'd... make it a FPS. xD

DJ.
20th Jun 2012, 2:26 PM
Well, at least they wouldn't come up with an idea to overwrite the entire game's codes on the day of the game launch, and then shift the game to the stores six months after the day they said the game would've originally come out. Oh EAxis.

~DJ.

MattShizzle
20th Jun 2012, 7:55 PM
I think it would be better if it was from an Alternative History where EA never bought Maxis.

Mootilda
20th Jun 2012, 10:53 PM
I think it would be better if it was from an Alternative History where EA never bought Maxis.From what I've read about Maxis and EA, if EA had never bought Maxis then the Sims would never have shipped. Maxis wasn't willing to put any resources into it and it was going nowhere until EA bought Maxis and decided to put some money into the Sims.

Information from various histories, including:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Wright_%28game_designer%29

MattShizzle
20th Jun 2012, 11:07 PM
Didn't know that. I just figured without EA and the way it does things there wouldn't be so many bugs and they probably never would have added Sony's trojan/malware known as SecuROM..

Mootilda
21st Jun 2012, 12:59 AM
The Maxis attitude towards the Sims was "Doll houses were for girls, and girls didnít play video games."

SusannaG
21st Jun 2012, 1:38 AM
Whoa. How wrong can you be?

DigitalSympathies
21st Jun 2012, 1:45 AM
Deffo. I remember seeing a thing a long time ago about how TS2 was supposed to be . . . and then it was completely changed. They did an MTV2 Video Mod for it (which is a machinima music video on TV) and it looks . . . different. But then again I heard a rumour on a couple of other forums that I used to frequent that something happened, maybe a fire, maybe a server crash, nobody knows, and they lost a huge chunk of information and had to redo a lot of stuff and take out some as well. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I can't find an article on it. There was one at the time, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

This is the music video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXyK5s7Fc1A

MattShizzle
21st Jun 2012, 4:07 AM
From that link - I'm not trying to date myself but I HAD that game "Raid on Bungeling Bay" back in the day on my Commodore 64. I later had the original "Sim CIty" for it.

DJ.
23rd Jun 2012, 1:00 PM
Deffo. I remember seeing a thing a long time ago about how TS2 was supposed to be . . . and then it was completely changed. They did an MTV2 Video Mod for it (which is a machinima music video on TV) and it looks . . . different. But then again I heard a rumour on a couple of other forums that I used to frequent that something happened, maybe a fire, maybe a server crash, nobody knows, and they lost a huge chunk of information and had to redo a lot of stuff and take out some as well. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I can't find an article on it. There was one at the time, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

This is the music video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXyK5s7Fc1A

And here's the complete overview of The Sims 2 Beta. ;)

The Sims 2 Beta Gameplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XwpoR9-jWc), The Sims 2 Beta Leaked Footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq1LScuyzCA&feature=related)

And I don't think a fire came up at Maxis'. I believe a new game came up before The Sims 2 with very nice concept and graphics, and they were very jelaous. So they decided to overwrite the entire game codes. If you want, you can read my entire "novel (http://modthesims.info/showpost.php?p=3875102&postcount=27)" I wrote to explain what they forgot to fix and repair, and fix and tweak, and ... yeah.

~DJ.

TortureTheNannies
23rd Jun 2012, 1:50 PM
Will Wright has always been good to his daughter.. Would he create a tactical domestic simulator (dollhouse) for her, and not share for the rest of us?

While playing Sim City 2000, world news gave me an idea for a dangerous city. It was also a challenge we might see in many first person shooter games. Sims 3, Bosnia adventures. Dodge snipers to get your mail and bills. Face mines and grenades on your way to work. There's a tank blocking your path to the hospital,so what will your wife do now? Hear a boom this morning and your neighbor's house is a pile of trash. It woud be made by Firaxis, I imagine. hmm. Civilization 5, the simulated village. One quote to my sims "Three words, increase your medication."

LaurellKH
23rd Jun 2012, 3:27 PM
lol, Simsample pic!

If Mabinogi Nexon made Sims2:
No Sim could go into homes the houses just for look pretty.
You be charged monthly fee for each Sim to put extra clothes in dresser; which is now a tiny purse you carry around that holds only one outfit.
You would have hundreds of pets but you would have to pay $5.00 - $25.00 to Nexon for each.

If Square Enix FFXI made Sims2:
There would be no money cheats at all and no way to make game money.
Orcs would eat your children but you would look damn sexy while they do it.
There would be cat women but no cat men so all girls would quit game.

Let's see, what else game have I played? DDO.

If Turbine Dungeons & Dragons Online made Sims2:
Nothing to level up but rogue skills and you have to sneak around own house so goblins don't eat your face off. No time to have children to busy running for your life. Slimes pop out of the walls and everywhere and get you anyway. You stand around in streets crying out for other sims to help you clean house of monsters. When you finally get strong Sims to help you, all go in and get eaten by a Beholder.

That about sum it up.

GabyPurpleB
17th Dec 2016, 3:31 AM
The Simsdere simulator 2

CaliBrat
17th Dec 2016, 4:00 AM
@GabyPurpleB .. bein as you're fairly new around here ..(though I think this goes for most forums) .. it's generally frowned upon to post in a thread that is old UNLESS you have somethin of value to add to the continuation of the thread. You may not of noticed when you replied to this thread that it is roughly 4 1/2 years old.

Come join us in the active threads as there is always room for new people :)

joandsarah77
17th Dec 2016, 4:07 AM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/joandsarah77/Blinkies/BREAKING_NEWS_-_Thread_Resurrected21_Dead_thread_br_zpslh5nucjp.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/joandsarah77/media/Blinkies/BREAKING_NEWS_-_Thread_Resurrected21_Dead_thread_br_zpslh5nucjp.jpg.html)

peevpee
19th Dec 2016, 4:12 PM
@simsample
Ok.. so is that version of Sims an FPS? And is the player shooting at his grandfather? :blink:

Either way... I want to play it now!

ihatemandatoryregister
19th Dec 2016, 6:17 PM
Even though this thread is years old, I must say I approve heartily of the screenshot @simsample posted up there.

k6ka
20th Dec 2016, 12:32 AM
There would be no Mrs. CrumpleBottom

ihatemandatoryregister
20th Dec 2016, 12:34 AM
"just add some mountain dew and doritos cool ranch" - ihate's friend

simsample
20th Dec 2016, 5:31 PM
:lol: This is a blast from the past!
@simsample
Ok.. so is that version of Sims an FPS? And is the player shooting at his grandfather? :blink:
I think Alexander Goth finally lost it! :rofl:

Annaminna
20th Dec 2016, 8:12 PM
I like how Bella is in Portal. Explains why she is lost.

dlseis
23rd Dec 2016, 5:50 AM
While playing Sim City 2000, world news gave me an idea for a dangerous city. It was also a challenge we might see in many first person shooter games. Sims 3, Bosnia adventures. Dodge snipers to get your mail and bills. Face mines and grenades on your way to work. There's a tank blocking your path to the hospital,so what will your wife do now? Hear a boom this morning and your neighbor's house is a pile of trash. It woud be made by Firaxis, I imagine. hmm. Civilization 5, the simulated village. One quote to my sims "Three words, increase your medication."

Some indie game developer made a game from this concept back in 2014. I don't know if anyone here knows this but the game is titled "This War of Mine". It's a survival game and as Steam reviews say, a "Depression Simulator". It's a game definitely worth trying.

SneakyWingPhoenix
24th Dec 2016, 11:53 PM
Wanna add that if Rockstar made the sims, there would be probably be no family gameplay, neither no baby-teen life stages.

jaytee95
26th Dec 2016, 8:14 PM
As I see it, other companies have made their own versions of The Sims; Last Day of Work made Virtual Villagers and Virtual Families, a company called "Sierra" in the 1990s had a game called "Jones in the Fast Lane," and its been said the Sims was inspired by a 1980s game called "Little Computer People."

Looking at history, I think what put the Sims over the top was the fact the original could say it was from the creators of SimCity and specifically Will Wright, the later versions can call themselves "new and improved" or whatever. If it were made by another company it may have been an obscure game.

Also, as I have heard of the title and developer that caused the thread necromancy, I can definitely say I'm glad we don't have a totally unfinished game that not only cannot be completed but also currently requires replaying the same week over and over, and quite honestly, seems to be clickbait.

SusannaG
27th Dec 2016, 1:53 AM
Sierra - now there's a blast from the past name.