PDA

View Full Version : What is up with the coffee tables?

labellavienna
21st May 2012, 8:46 AM
Does anyone find the coffee table issue really annoying?? For some reason You can put a coffee table in front of a living chair or lazy boy but your sims can never seem to get behind it to access and sit on their chair! Why did EA even add this feature?

joandsarah77
21st May 2012, 10:34 AM
Because they're the worst company of the year and didn't want to ruin their reputation?

That has annoyed me ever since I first placed a coffee table.

Alijah
21st May 2012, 10:46 AM
I never placed a coffee table the "right way" so I never noticed, but I'm not surprised!

Their decorating always bothered me. TV = 2 tiles, couch = 3 tiles. The perfectionist inside me asks WHHHHHY?! WHY CAN I NOT CENTER MY SOFA AROUND THE TV WITHOUT A CHEAT CODE.

haricots
21st May 2012, 12:25 PM
Huh? It's The Sims 2 right? I can do it, getting my Sims to sit on a couch which placed behind a coffee table. ?

saskganesh
21st May 2012, 2:30 PM
the good news is that you only need coffee tables as a place to put coffee cups ---places other than the floor.

MsScribble
21st May 2012, 2:54 PM
I'm so glad i'm not the only person driven potty by the coffee table issue!

AlexandraSpears
21st May 2012, 3:35 PM
I gave up on putting coffee tables in front of couches. For me, they look good in a hallway or up against a wall with picture frames on them, or a date reward (flower bouquet).

fruitsymphony
21st May 2012, 3:38 PM
Huh? It's The Sims 2 right? I can do it, getting my Sims to sit on a couch which placed behind a coffee table. ?
There must be one square between the coffee table and couch so teh sim sitting on couch is not able to reach their coffee cup, if placed on the table. So, why is it called a coffee table.

haricots
21st May 2012, 3:41 PM
There must be one square between the coffee table and couch so teh sim sitting on couch is not able to reach their coffee cup, if placed on the table. So, why is it called a coffee table.
Wait...
I think I mixed up Sims 2 with 3. ?_?

crocobaura
21st May 2012, 3:55 PM
You can place them with the quartertile placement cheat. But most times I just place a 1 square coffee table next to the living chair.

rogue_55
21st May 2012, 6:42 PM
It's really wierd, but sometimes it works for me if I put a coffee table in front of a couch and sometimes it doesn't. I used to think it never worked, but the first time I played the Kim family, Robert sat on the couch and there was a coffee table in front of it. I was shocked that he was able to sit there. I wonder if maybe they can only do it autonomously.

RebaLynnTS
21st May 2012, 7:36 PM
I put the coffee table 1 square away from the chair, or sofa, and use it for the newspaper or mail.

Josepina
21st May 2012, 10:20 PM
You can place them with the quartertile placement cheat. But most times I just place a 1 square coffee table next to the living chair.

Thank you. That is the best cheat. Move stuff off and on grid without having to open the dialogue. Move carpets off grid without them becoming glitchy. Move desks offgrid and sims can still use them. Makes everything so much easier.

Phoeberg
21st May 2012, 10:31 PM
Their decorating always bothered me. TV = 2 tiles, couch = 3 tiles. The perfectionist inside me asks WHHHHHY?! WHY CAN I NOT CENTER MY SOFA AROUND THE TV WITHOUT A CHEAT CODE.
That is the bane of my (virtual) life, I swear! It's so frustrating! I either have to have a two seat couch and two tile TV, or a three seat couch and a 1 tile TV. I can't stand the asymmetry otherwise!

iCad
21st May 2012, 10:43 PM
This is why grid-snapping is turned off in my game unless I turn it on to, say, place windows/doors. *laughs* Nudge the coffee table just a tiny bit forward, and all's well. Also, I can center a two-tile table between a three-tile couch and a two-tile TV. Or behind a three-tile couch. Or whatever. Easy-peasy.

...But I agree that with grid-snapping on, it's all damned annoying. *laughs*

WooHoo31
21st May 2012, 10:52 PM
Omg, this has always bothered me so much, it's crazy! I try my best to find a way to use coffee tables as much as I can though. Sometimes I'll just place one against a wall or something.

This is why grid-snapping is turned off in my game unless I turn it on to, say, place windows/doors. *laughs* Nudge the coffee table just a tiny bit forward, and all's well. Also, I can center a two-tile table between a three-tile couch and a two-tile TV. Or behind a three-tile couch. Or whatever. Easy-peasy.

...But I agree that with grid-snapping on, it's all damned annoying. *laughs*

May I ask, how do you turn off grid snapping? Would it effect how sims interact with the object? Like routing problems?

HarVee
21st May 2012, 10:56 PM
May I ask, how do you turn off grid snapping?

Enter the cheat "Boolprop snapobjectstogrid false" to turn off grid-snapping. (Without the quotation marks, of course.)

Tempscire
21st May 2012, 11:14 PM
It's been a while since I placed a coffee table in front of a couch, but doesn't it make a difference what direction the placement arrows face? I.e. they have to be pointing away from the couch in order for Sims to shuffle in behind it.

Would it effect how sims interact with the object? Like routing problems?
Depends on the objects and how you place them. Windows and doors require grid placement. Chairs and desks or tables have to be in a certain alignment for the chair to scoot under the edge and be properly functional...it's possible to do it off-grid, but it's really tedious to get everything lined up just right (if you have M&G SP, quarter tile placement is a good alternative). If you were to, say, place a coffee maker on an OMSP, you could potentially move the OMSP too far into the counter and thus restrict Sims' access without the grid restrictions. And of course if you were to strew clutter all across every inch of the floor you could hamper their routing, in which case these (http://www.modthesims.info/d/320185) come in handy.

Generally, though, no, it doesn't bother them to have a couch set 2/3 of the way into a tile instead of being solidly on the grid or quarter grid. Rotating things 45 degrees has a more noticeable effect in my experience.

iCad
21st May 2012, 11:36 PM
May I ask, how do you turn off grid snapping? Would it effect how sims interact with the object? Like routing problems?

All of what Tempscire said. :)

I just turned off grid-snapping in my user startup thingy, so now if I want it on, I have to turn it on manually using the cheat window. Which, I generally only do when building, to place windows/doors, kitchen counters (which won't attach, at least not easily, without grid snapping on. I imagine the same would be true of connecting columns; I don't use them often enough to know), or to place desk/dining table/chair combos, which have to align just so or else they can't be used.

I don't generally have routing problems or problems with stuff being useable. Like Tempscire also said, I have more difficulty with the 45-degree-angle cheat since some objects become unusable when placed that way. (Thankfully not beds, seating, or pianos, the objects I most often angle. The bed animations are a little weird at 45 degrees, but...meh.) Used to be that Sims wouldn't properly use a TV/sofa combo when both were at 45 degrees, either, but MogHughson, bless her, fixed that. But especially when used in conjunction with "move objects," your decorating can become far more realistic-looking with grid-snapping turned off. Like, you can have, say, a collection of two or three potted plants sitting on one tile on the floor. Or you can place a two-tile curtain over a one-tile window. Or, especially if you have AL and can shift heights, you can artfully arrange paintings and lighting and stuff on a wall without having to have each item be tied to grids. Or...Well, lots of things. I can't decorate any other way, to tell you the truth. :)

joandsarah77
21st May 2012, 11:49 PM
It's definitely a cheat worth having in a start up cheat file. I have mine set to 'snapon' and 'snapoff' and the 45 cheat I just use the <> I think if I had to type in the whole cheat the whole time I was building/decorating it would drive me up the wall. Of course we shouldn't have to put in long 'cheats' to be able to turn a lounge chair, but at least we can, those cheats plus the rug fix http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=399650 I use all the time.

Alijah
22nd May 2012, 12:01 AM
Or, especially if you have AL and can shift heights, you can artfully arrange paintings and lighting and stuff on a wall without having to have each item be tied to grids. Or...Well, lots of things. I can't decorate any other way, to tell you the truth. :)

I have found myself unable to place paintings with snapobjects off, is there a specific way I am supposed to be doing it? :o

joandsarah77
22nd May 2012, 12:02 AM
No, just grab and move it slowly where you want it. You need to have move objects on as well. What happens when you try?

iCad
22nd May 2012, 12:06 AM
I have found myself unable to place paintings with snapobjects off, is there a specific way I am supposed to be doing it? :o

Hmm. I don't have to do anything special, myself. Perhaps move objects must be turned on as well? (It, too, is always turned on in my game.) I can also place them just fine at 45 degree angles, on diagonal walls. The only difficulty I have is placing them such that they aren't cutting into the wall but also aren't sitting away from it, but that isn't too difficult when looked at from the side. So...I don't know! Sorry. :(

EDIT: Sniped by joandsarah. :)

joandsarah77
22nd May 2012, 12:09 AM
lol....*steals last cookie*

Alijah
22nd May 2012, 12:12 AM
Hmm. I don't have to do anything special, myself. Perhaps move objects must be turned on as well? (It, too, is always turned on in my game.) I can also place them just fine at 45 degree angles, on diagonal walls. The only difficulty I have is placing them such that they aren't cutting into the wall but also aren't sitting away from it, but that isn't too difficult when looked at from the side. So...I don't know! Sorry. :(

EDIT: Sniped by joandsarah. :)

Moveobjects must be necessary, I never tried it with that cheat because I assumed that using moveobjects on would mean that the paintings wouldn't go down when the walls did (I don't know if that's a game feature, either, or a mod I have, I forget).

I'll give it a go tonight when I hop on, I'm redecorating the Cordial's house :3

Edit: Oops, didn't see Joandsarah's post! so yeah, I'll try it with moveobjects on. When I did it without, the painting just stayed red and never let me place it.

iCad
22nd May 2012, 12:19 AM
lol....*steals last cookie*

Brat. :)

Moveobjects must be necessary, I never tried it with that cheat because I assumed that using moveobjects on would mean that the paintings wouldn't go down when the walls did (I don't know if that's a game feature, either, or a mod I have, I forget).

Really, I can't imagine WHY move objects would need to be on, unless you're placing the painting such that it's butting into a wall tile that already has something on/against it. Maybe that's it? Well, whatever works, I guess. :) Hope the redecorating goes well. :)

Oh, and all my wall clutter (I don't generally clutter up surfaces with...uh, clutter, but I'll clutter the hell out of walls) goes down when the walls do. Well, except stuff that doesn't normally go down, like mirrors. (I like to use mirrors decoratively a lot. I'm such a child of the 70s. :lol: )

labellavienna
22nd May 2012, 12:29 AM
Oh...well I wasn't talking about couches...those I have no problems with. I was talking more about the 1-tile "husband" chairs...if you put a coffee table in front of it...forget it!

joandsarah77
22nd May 2012, 12:31 AM
Brat. :) I'm 15 again? :lol:

Move objects has to be on or you get the rid lines and it won't let you place it. You would think snapon would be enough, but no.

iCad
22nd May 2012, 12:38 AM
I'm 15 again? :lol:

Ain't it great?! :D No wait, 15 was sooooooooo not great. *transforms you back to a growed-up* Voila! ;)

Move objects has to be on or you get the rid lines and it won't let you place it. You would think snapon would be enough, but no.

Well, see, that's what I love about this site. I learn something new every time I visit. I really am such a n00b. Been playing for four years, but...Yeah, n00bness abounds.

joandsarah77
22nd May 2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks, 20 will do nicely. :D

I've been playing sims since sims 1 and still don't know heaps of stuff. I only just realized while taking pictures for lots to upload here that I can use zoom in and out while in down view. :lol:

iCad
22nd May 2012, 1:02 AM
Thanks, 20 will do nicely. :D

No, no, no. Twenty was bad, too. Well, OK, it was bad for ME. :lol: But if that's what you want... *poof!* :lol:

I've been playing sims since sims 1 and still don't know heaps of stuff. I only just realized while taking pictures for lots to upload here that I can use zoom in and out while in down view. :lol:

My great recent discovery was that the F10 key hides the user interface. Wish I'd known that a loooooooong time ago. Luckily, I have a 15-year-old who Sims. She knows all the good stuff...when she decides to tell me, the brat. :lol:

ETA, very belatedly:

Oh...well I wasn't talking about couches...those I have no problems with. I was talking more about the 1-tile "husband" chairs...if you put a coffee table in front of it...forget it!

What do you mean by a "husband chair?" Wait, maybe a recliner? (I know my husband, when I was married, could often be found asleep in one, with or without beer bottle attachment.) If that's the case, then the recliners are actually two-tile, only front-to-back, not side-to-side, to accommodate the reclining action. If you put a table in front of it, I can conceive of the notion of things getting a mite confused in the game's brain... But if that's not what you mean...Well, like I said, turning grid snapping off tends to solve a lot of the game's weirdnesses when it comes to objects interacting with each other...

See? I can, too, be on-topic. ;)

joandsarah77
22nd May 2012, 2:13 AM
if that's what you want... *poof!*

Yah! I have a waist again! :lol:

I also discoverd F3 and the mouse together lets me see things much more closely in Body shop! Unfortunatly I'm the only one who sims although my daughter would like to, maybe in a year or two.

Keeping on topic.... I didn't think those chairs could be placed in front of a coffee table without using move objects though.... I'm thought the coffee table problem was with regular two and three tile couches. It's been so long since I tried I can't remember. I tend to just use a one tile coffee table next to a chair or a couch rather than in front of them any longer.

esmesqualor
22nd May 2012, 2:23 AM
Rather than move objects on/off and the snaptogrid cheat (because it takes me forever to line things up right and I tend to cause routing problems), I use the quartertile placement cheat, the CTR+ALT thing to put more than one thing on the wall, and the brackets to move things up and down a wall(with the All Shiftables mod). I think the shift-with-brackets came with AL, but I can't remember where quartertile placement or CTR+ALT came from.-

iCad
22nd May 2012, 2:27 AM
Yah! I have a waist again! :lol:

*sigh* I've always had a waist. Unfortunately, it's paired with an oversized butt. :p Which some might consider a good thing but...damn, it's pretty much impossible to find pants that fit around the butt without being way too big in the waist. WHICH! Is why I tend to wear long, full skirts a lot. :lol: ANYWAY...

I also discoverd F3 and the mouse together lets me see things much more closely in Body shop! Unfortunatly I'm the only one who sims although my daughter would like to, maybe in a year or two.

Ooooh, I'm currently making a bunch of Sims for somewhat...nefarious...purposes, so that tip will come in handy, yes indeed. *rubs hands together nefariously*

Keeping on topic.... I didn't think those chairs could be placed in front of a coffee table without using move objects though.... I'm thought the coffee table problem was with regular two and three tile couches. It's been so long since I tried I can't remember. I tend to just use a one tile coffee table next to a chair or a couch rather than in front of them any longer.

Well, now that I look at the original post (Sorry, OP, I have a bad habit of sometimes not doing that...), I see that she's talking about living chairs and recliners. By living chairs, I'm guessing she means armchairs as opposed to sofas/loveseats. I can't say that I've ever observed a problem with armchairs and coffee tables, myself, but that could be because in my furniture arrangements, coffee tables live near sofas/loveseats while arm chairs/recliners are usually more closely associated with endtables. Maybe EAxis figured that would be how most people think? Or maybe they just FUBARed?

Guess which option I'm going with?

...Although I have to say that I can't imagine why you'd want a coffee table in front of a recliner. Makes far more sense to put an end table next to it.

Josepina
22nd May 2012, 2:44 AM

I've just discovered this too. Left click to swivel the cam, right to zoom in, right + left to centre the camera.

nikel23
23rd May 2012, 6:33 AM
This is what I know. The 2-tiled coffee tables can be placed in front of 2 or 3-tiled couches (or 2, to match the coffee table length), and Sims can sit on the couch only if the sides of the couch is clear. Sims sit on the couch from its sides if the coffee table is present, so you just choose where to place the table: in front of or beside. Also, armchairs (or 1-tiled chairs) can't be used if there's coffee table in front of it.

margonaute
23rd May 2012, 8:40 PM
I wonder, if you didn't want to turn snapobjectstogrid off, could you put the coffee table on a walk around/walk through block to solve this? Haven't tried it since I also have my snap commands aliased and just do that, but it seems like it might work...

MuletotheFoxxes
23rd May 2012, 9:33 PM
There are a few coffee tables that work just fine sitting in front of the couch. I can never recall just which ones they are when decorating so I often have to delete and try again. I think though, that most of the working ones are from base game.

labellavienna
23rd May 2012, 9:36 PM
I wonder, if you didn't want to turn snapobjectstogrid off, could you put the coffee table on a walk around/walk through block to solve this? Haven't tried it since I also have my snap commands aliased and just do that, but it seems like it might work...

Walk around mods do not work with coffee tables...i've tried.

Simonut
23rd May 2012, 10:05 PM
Does anyone find the coffee table issue really annoying?? For some reason You can put a coffee table in front of a living chair or lazy boy but your sims can never seem to get behind it to access and sit on their chair! Why did EA even add this feature?

I would not say EA or Maxis screw up with that, because when they created the Sims they also made it possible for players to use "Cheats" you can use certain Boolprop to move a coffee table as well as center it where you want it to be. So that your Sims can move around 360 degree and have NO problem sitting in a Living Chair in the space.

So no I do not find it "annoying" at all it is all in knowing what to do ( in arrangement of furnitures and what boolprop to use. I build lots ( some are on MTS ) and I always make sure a Sims can move about around any objects place no matter what room it is.

labellavienna
24th May 2012, 12:16 AM
I actually have no issues with couches to be honest, it is when you put a single-tiled "husband" chair at the end of the coffee table that issues start to appear. Yes you can use boolprop snapobjectstogrid false to move the chair but you would have to move it really really far back in order to get the sims to maneuver around it. I guess this is the frustration that a lot of people are experiencing, most people have coffee tables close to their chairs because realistically a table should be within arms reach of the sitter in order for them to...well..reach for their drink! =P

Josepina
24th May 2012, 1:07 AM
I just put the nofowle armchair at the end of the ad-a-quaint coffee table and left half a tile inbetween which left Darren Dreamer just enough room to squeeze in and sit down with his coffee in hand. Then I tried the Poang Ikea chair and the Cheap Eazzzzzze Puffy Recliner, Good livin Contempo chair at end of the Scraps Ranch "Cafemate" coffe table. Which chairs do you have trouble with?

Simonut
24th May 2012, 1:18 AM
The sims is not the real world as to the proper or right or wrong placement or distance between a chair and a coffee table. This is one of my own lots that I have here on MTS. Here you clearly see my placement of the Coffee table. I feel the Sims have no problem getting around. Also the Sim " Do Not " use the coffee table to drink tea or coffee they will do that at a dinning table or Island counter in the kitchen. Unless you have a Mod to do so. I find that with any items on the coffee table the Sims will view it or maybe if you place a phone there they may use it. But in the real world people do tend to place the coffee table near the sofa or chair.

But even now days in this modern world styles have really change a lot of new designers are now placing the coffee table more in the center of a room arrangement, or other places in the room.
Because a lot of people or family members love to sit on the floor, kids love to do so.
If you look through some "Home Style" magazines you will see that the placement of the Coffee table have change from the norm.

It's cool if you agree or not. :)

BloodyScholastic
26th May 2012, 6:42 PM
I never placed a coffee table the "right way" so I never noticed, but I'm not surprised!

I always ended up with boolprop snapobjectstogrid false