Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 7:48 PM
This seems like a logical thing to do, but I'm a bit confussed on something. I thought all uploads already had to be compressed? When I frist started to upload things the guidelines say it must be compressed, right?
So I don't see why it would be that big a deal to people.
Thanks Delphy for doing all you can to make this a better site! :salute:
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 1:40 AM
[QUOTE=Loverat]If you use WinRAR (and why wouldn't you) Highlight the files you want in the archive (it can be zip or rar - however rar is way superior as a compression format)right-click Add to Archive and from the compression drop down list choose Best. I'm guessing a lot of people would be surprised at the additional squishage you get.
QUOTE]
Cool. I like my dls compressed anyways, and I use "The Maid" to open everything. However as far as compression goes, should you just be able to right click the file and "add to (NAME OF FILE)"? I agree... WinRAR is way better, and it handles multiple types of compressed files.

It's like the same...only different
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 4:34 AM
Hi. What I would like to know is, how do I pack walls and floors without the Sims2Pack interferring?

Thanks,
Kimberly
Forum Resident
#29 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 8:20 PM
Ok, that's fine, Delphy. I already compress mine into zips anyways.
Test Subject
#30 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 9:47 PM
I think the prob is people are most used to zip's remember a lot of people are barely in the computer more then checking email, playing the sims 2 and downloading stuff, win rar may not appeal to some new people.
Also to simply zip or rar , right click the final file, and select add to (name of the file) or right click your file, scroll to send to, comprssed file(zip).
Hope that helps people out.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 16th Apr 2006 at 1:40 PM
Yay... :nod: and thanks...

If not intereted in my compression discussion, skip the following...

Nowadays, many different compressions (7-zip, ace, cab, rar, uha, zip, etc) have their GUIs to ease the compression process. The general compression processes are already almost identical or very similar. Knowing how to compress in a format type can already have the ability to do the others unless one wants to deal with the command line input for more additional options.

If the package files has internally compressed , then rar or other stronger compression formats can compress those files weaker than those internally uncompressed. For those internally compressed, smaller sizes to occupy the downloads folder while the comprssibility of the files is enervated. For those internally uncompressed, they use up more HD space to the users while it saves more space when unused.

Surely in my limited experiences, files in rar format or other strong compression formats normally have smaller sizes than those done by the general compression the internet services use. .. coz they normally use zip or similar for the compression. When not-too-many duplicated data, uha or 7-zip may not compress much better than rar, but anyway rar can already compress sim2pack files much better than zip, especially those files with more textures. It normally saves up to 5-30% of the space in my compression tests for the rar when comprared to zip..

But, with skin files, uha and 7-zip noramlly compress much better than the other common formats.
Instructor
#32 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 11:59 PM
Thanks, I ALWAYS forget to change my sims2pak into a .rar before uploading (><) now I'll be reminded lol.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 5th May 2006 at 5:50 PM
i really want to say thanks to Loverat for including that in his post. i've never uploaded anything in my life, but intend on doing so as soon as possible. that helped a lot, Loverat, and saved me lots of time. thanks. hehe.

Coming soon: 1654 Blue Jay Way
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 22nd May 2006 at 5:54 PM
i am trying to downl;oad with the sevenzip, but how do I know which one to use?
Scholar
#35 Old 24th May 2006 at 1:48 AM
Yes, why not use rar, it's very common, it's work exactly like zip (winrar also can create or extract zip), yet rar can compress file to be 1/4 less than zip, so I still can't understand why people keep using zip instead of rar, or ask other people to reupload the file in zip because they hate rar. not to mention the multi part rar >_<;.

The rest of my skins can be found in my blog
http://navetsea.blogspot.com
Page 2 of 2