View Full Version : pattern troubles - vertical bars of color where there shouldn't be
18th Nov 2009, 7:17 AM
I'm trying to make my first pattern in TS3, and need some help.
Actually, I've made the pattern and it looks like it should in Delphy's Pattern Packager, as seen here:
However, when I test it in game it looks like this:
Where are the vertical yellow stripes coming from? It doesn't matter what surface I apply the pattern to; it comes out with the stripes.
Thanks for any help.
19th Nov 2009, 8:08 PM
Ummm no idea. Can you attach the dds please? I'll try & reexport it and see what happens in my game...
(nice pattern btw.)
20th Nov 2009, 12:51 AM
I've attached the file to my original post. Thanks for taking a look, MetalKat0642.
20th Nov 2009, 2:16 AM
I thought I'd take a look to see if I could help, and the dds doesn't open correctly for me in Photoshop-- it looks all black. Not sure if that's relevant.
I did bring it into the pattern packager successfully though, and I notice that your R G and B channels are identical, rather than separated out so that the motif is on one channel and the background is on another.
Usually in a 2-color pattern the R channel should be all white, and the Green channel should be black except for the pattern motif which should be white, and the Blue channel should be all black.
I wonder if you are seeing some kind of interference pattern because of that. I'd fix the color separation issue and the stripes will probably go away.
20th Nov 2009, 4:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions BabaYaga. I'll try fixing the channels tomorrow after work.
I forgot to mention I made the .dds in Gimp; so maybe that's why it's all black when you open it in Photoshop?
Thanks again, and I'll report back tomorrow :)
20th Nov 2009, 1:55 PM
The .dds opens fine in GIMP.
BabaYaga is absolutely right about the colour separation issue. Another thing: the black in the dds isn't 100% black, so those regions aren't 100% transparent. As a result, the 1st palette doesn't really define the colour, as you can see here.
Apart from the 1st palette behaving like that, I didn't have any issues in-game. No vertical stripes or any other interference.
I fixed the black colour and edited the dds so that the channels looked like this (alpha is only necessary in 4-colour patterns):
This made the pattern behave 100% correctly.
P. S. Here's a totally weird effect I discovered. When I opened the original .dds in PatternPackager and played with the Blending flags, I got an effect I never saw before. Those black things aren't anywhere in the dds!
20th Nov 2009, 11:42 PM
I realize now that I was getting confused with layers and channels when I was making the pattern. Hence why it was all bass-akwards :)
Thank you both for your help, BabaYaga and MetalKat0642! I don't think I would have been able to figure it out without your assistance.
edit: ok, I can't seem to make the black 100% black. I've used the color picker and it's telling me my black is 100% black, yet I can't change palette #1 to any other color in the pattern packager or in game.
vBulletin v3.0.14, Copyright ©2000-2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.