PDA

View Full Version : Foundations - Chat Thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

HystericalParoxysm
17th Jul 2010, 8:52 AM
This is the official chat thread for our Foundations Contest (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=412036)!

Here you can post chatty stuff about the contest like:

"Woo I want to join!"

"The entries are so cool! I especially like Simmer1234's house!"

"I'm almost done building my house! Yay!"

Various other chattery type things - but please do not spam! Remember, we have a Private Message system so this thread is not for conversations you could easily have via PM or IM.

You can also post:

Pics/text for a second or third entry - you're only allowed one official entry per person, but if you had another idea of what to do with the foundation but can't enter it, you can post it here!

Pics/text for an entry that doesn't fit the rules - too much CC, added/subtracted foundation, whatever, or weren't able to complete it within the time limit.

Pics/text if you just don't want to actually compete in a contest, but wanted to build on the foundation anyway.

Pics/text if you only want to build for some of the rounds, but won't be able to/don't want to do all four rounds as part of the real contest.

Pics of your hot sister, and/or Christina Hendricks.

Please remember to BE NICE! - While you can post comments on entries, don't be a douchecanoe about it. Positive stuff or nicely-put constructive comments only! Remember, the main point of this contest is FUN!

lewisb40
17th Jul 2010, 9:07 AM
This is very off-topic, but HP, I am sad you changed your avatar. I seen the last avatar a couple of days ago and wanted to try and sim it. Just trying to get ideas for new sims. Oh well, missed that one, should have tried to save it.

HystericalParoxysm
17th Jul 2010, 9:11 AM
I, um, wait, what was my last avatar? My brain is overwhelmed by the AWESOMENESS that is my current avatar and I can't even remember what I had before.

Kiki1509
17th Jul 2010, 9:21 AM
Haha Yes HP ur new avatar puts the AWESOME in AWESOMENESS

Rez Delnava
17th Jul 2010, 12:43 PM
Random side question related to the contest, but is there any chance of a new little contest/award icon (a la MooMoo Award/MOCCA Award icons)? I would think some kind of icon that would fit any housing/building contest would be a really cool.

Also, I've been rather curious about this: when it says "a specially-created unique avatar" as the prizes for the top 3, who's doing the art for such?

Linen
17th Jul 2010, 12:57 PM
Kaospilot - I agree with this, though on the flip side, you also have people asking why this isn't for The Sims 2.
|General comment| In my eyes, it's "Mod The Sims" now, not only "Mod The Sims 2" - why shouldn't Threesimmers have a chance to participate in something?

(Yes, Threesimmers. I personally think that just saying 'Sims 3 users' is boring. I don't know why. XP )

Rez Delnava - Icon candy is a cool thing, eh?
I'm sure that whomever's doing the avatar prize, though, it will look good no matter how it's sliced. At least I'd think so.
Of course, compared to you and others, I'm not as well-aware of all the people here and what they do personally (beyond the moderators and admins), so the key word is THINK...

Vampire_aninyosaloh
17th Jul 2010, 1:00 PM
Random side question related to the contest, but is there any chance of a new little contest/award icon (a la MooMoo Award/MOCCA Award icons)? I would think some kind of icon that would fit any housing/building contest would be a really cool.

Yeah, I was thinking in the same thing yesterday, it would be cool ^^

HystericalParoxysm
17th Jul 2010, 3:11 PM
RE: TS2 version... We do have plans to do a TS2 version - but doing a combined TS2/TS3 version for this contest just wouldn't work. The building and decorating systems are different enough that scoring and wrangling all the "can we do X?" questions would just drive me batty.

TS2 version will either begin when another staff member decides to do one, or after the TS3 version is done - I just can't run two big contests at once without going mad. ;)

Rez - There'll be an achievement for it, but I don't think there'll be a Moo-Moo-like icon.

HystericalParoxysm
17th Jul 2010, 3:19 PM
Yep - and it's not just one judge but several. And then we have to total everything up.

Definitely doing spreadsheets for this stuff. =SUM ftw.

Linen
17th Jul 2010, 3:23 PM
I can hear you quite clearly there, H.P. - just with the fact that TS3 has such things as more precise/detailed recoloring (instead of a few set palettes) and an active online Store to buy objects, there'd be a whole different set of rules I would see in play.

In other news - I like having ideas, but I don't like having the inability to utilize them (the things I was planning to moveobject overlap badly next to each other and would otherwise be a pain for the purpose). XD

lewisb40
17th Jul 2010, 5:01 PM
I, um, wait, what was my last avatar? My brain is overwhelmed by the AWESOMENESS that is my current avatar and I can't even remember what I had before.

Oh yes, that new avatar is Full Of Win! Don't worry about it, I usually see faces and wonder if I can sim it with Sims 3. This game makes me try for more uniqueness, they tend to look the same after a few generations. :rofl:

Fyendiar
17th Jul 2010, 5:05 PM
Couldn't resist adding the 2 houses that came first, but got left out . :)

The first had an adventurer's theme throughout the house, but when I got a sim in to make the pictures I found out that the porch was not sims-proof. It turns out that using pillars at the edge of stairs makes those stairs unusable. I didn't know that. :(

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3254/test1ed.jpg

Then I decided to go modern art instead, reason I gave up on that one was mainly the lack of modern art to hang on the walls. Also modern art is not really my thing so no idea what got me to start this one. Besides just as I am writing this I notice that I made the same stupid mistake on this building! Stupid pillars! :)

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4363/test2zm.jpg

Anyway, I am happy with this contest. Usually I never participate in these kind of things, but this time I just couldn't resist. :p

lewisb40
17th Jul 2010, 5:12 PM
Beautiful homes, Fyendiar. Yeah, columns too close to the stairs is a problem for sims, but I don't understand why they wouldn't use the middle stairs. A lot I built in my game had the same problem, but sims kept going up and down the stairs in a loop. When I moved the columns over, or added foundation for them, then the sim would use them properly.

If I want the look of columns close to stairs, I use Flabaki's (sp.) porch fences. No problem then.

Fyendiar
17th Jul 2010, 5:22 PM
Thanks for the compliment!

I have Flabaki's porch stuff as well, but I wanted to go without the use of any custom content so couldn't use them for this contest. :)

armiel
17th Jul 2010, 6:04 PM
I had so much fun building my lot, but I'm jobless for the last days before next round... :/ The competition lasts too long :D How about a 4 day competition next? A day per round? :rofl:

There are so many good lots, it'll be a challenge just to judge all the lots :) *raises a thumb for HP* Have fun!! :lol:

lewjen
17th Jul 2010, 6:13 PM
Rez - There'll be an achievement for it, but I don't think there'll be a Moo-Moo-like icon.
Pwetty pwease with like a totally fuck off huge cherry on the top!? :lol:
Jokes, but... it would be awesome if you get a little pic of a house under your name. :D

Vampire_aninyosaloh
17th Jul 2010, 6:29 PM
Yush!! Little cute icon would look awesome under the name :D But the profile achievement thingy is cool as well ^^

lewisb40
17th Jul 2010, 6:41 PM

I have Flabaki's porch stuff as well, but I wanted to go without the use of any custom content so couldn't use them for this contest. :)

Sorry you misunderstood, I was commenting about columns to stair problems in this game. I didn't mean to suggest using CC in your entries, I understand that you don't want to use it.

I am using CC if I want a certain look, it's okay to use. Just it takes away from the amount of bonus points you can win, doesn't matter to me. :lol:

LifesLover
17th Jul 2010, 8:08 PM

Does the house have to be playable in order for you to enter it into the contest? I don't really think it matters. At least, I hope not, since I highly doubt some areas of my entry are playable.

Fyendiar
17th Jul 2010, 8:13 PM
Does the house have to be playable in order for you to enter it into the contest? I don't really think it matters. At least, I hope not, since I highly doubt some areas of my entry are playable.

I don't think it is a requirement of the contest, just one of my own. I don't like homes that don't play well. :)

LifesLover
17th Jul 2010, 8:15 PM
I don't think it is a requirement of the contest, just one of my own. I don't like homes that don't play well. :)

I don't, either, at least not for uploading purposes, obviously. But I figured since it's just pictures this round, I'd do a little extra, even if it meant it'd be unplayable.

ForeverCamp
17th Jul 2010, 8:29 PM
Okay, so I'm hoping I might get some kindhearted soul who can help me out for this: posted my first entry last night and as some might notice, there's a driveway but no cars.

WTF is the rule on placing cars in TS3? I put a car parking space on the driveway, but I couldn't get the car to actually go on it (same with the bike rack). I ask because, well, that was my first-ever dive in Buy/Build Mode.

And while I'm on the topic, is there any other contestants who still play TS2 more often than TS3 and found themselves going for buttons in certain places? I mean, I must've hit the "Edit Town" button a gazillion times because that's where the Live Mode button is in TS2! :lol: My computer runs TS3 very very reluctantly, so it whines and complains and freezes up (I'm sure just to give me a heart attack about the random shut-downs - which stopped me from even attempting to play for almost a year - starting up again) and then will SLOWLY zoom out to town, so every time I hit that "Edit Town" button, I had to wait practically another five minutes before I could go back in.

Poor Contest Housejumper is going to be very nomadic for the next few weeks. Yes, I made a Sim just to go from house to house for live mode picture purposes.

I did end up converting the floorplan to TS2 for fun last night, I'll be posting pics over in the Pictures forum. It's very different than my entry - I've been inspired by Tenielle's grungified Baskerville.

Thranduil Oropherion
17th Jul 2010, 9:30 PM
Poor Contest Housejumper is going to be very nomadic for the next few weeks. Yes, I made a Sim just to go from house to house for live mode picture purposes.

Dont feel too bad about it - I vandalised the house nextdoor to my lot and employed the services of Gobias Koffi for firelighting and other 'house' services, purely for the sake of 'art' - and I didn't pay him .. Muahahahaha :cool:

porkypine
17th Jul 2010, 9:52 PM
Yea! I am working on my Moroccan themed home. Keep spot 51 and 1/2 open for me! PWEEZE! :p

It may get disqualified mainly because I have no CC at all - NONE - (store downloads are borked and I can't get my stuff.) :wtf: SO, I only have what came with all the EP's. I am building a privacy garden around my "Ooo-la-la" bath :lovestruc - There are no fences tall enough, So I had to use cheats and a wall to put the arches in. It is technically a garden even if I used walls and a hedge to enclose it. The actual house and entries are ALL on the original foundation.

Should have it finished by Sunday evening MOUNTAIN TIME (USA) - I can't crank out just anything! I have to be somewhat satisfied with it in the time allowed - I don't have super-fast WOW building skills like Flabiliki has! :D

Fyendiar
17th Jul 2010, 10:22 PM
Okay, so I'm hoping I might get some kindhearted soul who can help me out for this: posted my first entry last night and as some might notice, there's a driveway but no cars.

WTF is the rule on placing cars in TS3? I put a car parking space on the driveway, but I couldn't get the car to actually go on it (same with the bike rack). I ask because, well, that was my first-ever dive in Buy/Build Mode.

If you can place the driveway without using a cheat and it still refuses to let you place a car it sometimes helps to pick the driveway up, move it away, then put it back again where it was in the first place. I know it sounds crazy, but for some weird reason it fixes whatever was wrong with the driveway and lets you place cars again. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the "snap to grid" thing the game has, no idea.

I hope this "fix" works for you as well. :)

Oh and yup, constantly getting kicked back to the neighbourhood view for the same reason. Old habits die hard! Luckily it doesn't take my computer 5m to get back in though. :rofl:

edit: a smiley refused to be a smiley so had to shoot it down and get a replacement! :cool:

heaven
17th Jul 2010, 10:26 PM
I had an absolutely FANTASTIC time building this lot. I have only played TS3 once or twice before (I'm a creature of habit and keep going back to TS2) and this was only my second lot I have ever built. I'm so paranoid about rejections in TS2 that I made my screenshots perfect and ran my sim through every bit of the house, just to make sure everything was accessible! My back is completely sore now and my husband feels extremely ignored but I am pleased with my efforts. Pleased enough that I am thinking of uploading (not sure the rules on that as this round is still open) but I've still got to figure that one out. I have wanted to enter a contest for awhile but always either missed them or didn't have the time/creativity to give it a go. Love you guys for this!

lewisb40
17th Jul 2010, 10:28 PM
Are you building in a world that you are playing? I can't place cars on driveways in Edit Town, other lots that I am not playing. I have made a world that I use for building only. The car will place in that world. I don't know why, but has been that way since WA for me.

veezeeUnltd
17th Jul 2010, 10:37 PM
I have issues guys, and need some input. I spent 4 hours(ish) building a house in a blank neighbourhood devoid of other lots or sims or...anything, and it's looking really good. So I put it in the Bin, shifted over to a live town to get some decent photos of it, but as I attempt to place it, the house is creating a crater in the ground, 1 Wall depth, all the way around it and it looks awful. I've tried levelling the terrain out with CFE but that was of little help as it would still need a rebuild...ick.

Any ideas? I don't want to photo it in the blank 'hood - there's not even a road for the driveway to attach to :P

ForeverCamp
17th Jul 2010, 10:58 PM
Are you building in a world that you are playing? I can't place cars on driveways in Edit Town, other lots that I am not playing. I have made a world that I use for building only. The car will place in that world. I don't know why, but has been that way since WA for me.

Yeah, since I never play Sims 3 I only have one world established, and there WAS an active household on another lot. Of course, the active household is Contest Housejumper now. I've only got base game plus the items that I purchased with the 10$ Store credit which came with the game. Since the game already puts such a strain on my computer (and my nerves), I don't really want to push my luck by establishing a second world or installing CC. I might just use Sims 3 only for building. I kind of want Foundation 2, like, right now. ;)

Did anybody ever come out with a mod to get rid of those gawdawful sparkles when placing walls? I couldn't seem to locate one in the WCIF Content List, but it just seems like one of the first things a modder would endeavour to get rid of.

ForeverCamp
17th Jul 2010, 11:39 PM
*gasp* Thank you!

LifesLover
18th Jul 2010, 1:22 AM
I have issues guys, and need some input. I spent 4 hours(ish) building a house in a blank neighbourhood devoid of other lots or sims or...anything, and it's looking really good. So I put it in the Bin, shifted over to a live town to get some decent photos of it, but as I attempt to place it, the house is creating a crater in the ground, 1 Wall depth, all the way around it and it looks awful. I've tried levelling the terrain out with CFE but that was of little help as it would still need a rebuild...ick.

Any ideas? I don't want to photo it in the blank 'hood - there's not even a road for the driveway to attach to :P

I've done something similar before. It's most likely doing this because the game isn't recognizing the terrain around it. Most likely it thinks that the ground is higher where you're placing it than where you built it, causing the game to place the house in a crater in order to keep it at the same level that you built it. That or you're trying to place the lot on a hill, which can go very wrong if you didn't build it on the hill in the first place.

This is merely a guess, though, from my prior tries at placing houses that I didn't intentionally build on that lot.

You might want to either try a different lot or just snapping the photos where you built the house, if no one else has any other suggestions.

Did you try using the leveling terrain tool, instead of CFE?

lewisb40
18th Jul 2010, 1:56 AM
Since the game already puts such a strain on my computer (and my nerves), I don't really want to push my luck by establishing a second world or installing CC.

Maybe try using Regina's Empty Towns (http://www.bogsims.com/sims3/regina/building/townmaps.htm), if you only have Sunset then download that and make it a build only world. It should be less taxing cause there is no sims in the world. This is what I use.

Plop some lots around the one you are building so it doesn't look empty. Just a suggestion. ;)

fragglerocks
18th Jul 2010, 4:01 AM
Well after building a house up, changing my mind, tearing it down, searching more house plans...The third time was the charm. That was a lot of work. But I am satisfied.

Wow...everyone has great entries so far. I am excited and nervous!

matrix54
18th Jul 2010, 5:37 AM
every time I work on this house the game stops responding. I swear, I've been through a billion different designs, and I finally found one that was perfect, and works, and it stops.

I want to enter, but the chances are slim, if the games keeps acting up.

missroxor
18th Jul 2010, 5:44 AM
...Any ideas? I don't want to photo it in the blank 'hood - there's not even a road for the driveway to attach to :P

Don't know if it'll work but you could try going into the lot you want to place your house in and raise it so that it's one wall high. Then in theory when it drops the house one wall length it should level out...in theory ;)

Also, it doesn't matter if there's a road or not. You don't have to have the road in your pics. The street level one is from the sim's eye view so you could just snap it from the very start of the front garden (or crop to that point at least) and for the plan view just crop out the part where the road would be. Though to be honest, they're judging the lot you create, I doubt you would be docked points for anything that's outside the lot (or not in this case) :lol:

Matrix, on the entry thread they've been discussing how many slots are left. Somebody counted and I think they said there was only 14 left...they're filling up quickly so I hope you get your issues sorted in time :up:

armiel
18th Jul 2010, 7:15 AM
Maybe try using Regina's Empty Towns (http://www.bogsims.com/sims3/regina/building/townmaps.htm), if you only have Sunset then download that and make it a build only world. It should be less taxing cause there is no sims in the world. This is what I use.

Or, You both could use my Builder's Island (http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=403308) :) Haha, just a little advertise, but that's what I use cause it only takes few seconds to load and has the most of the basic lotsizes.

HystericalParoxysm
18th Jul 2010, 7:41 AM
Thread is updated with the contestant list. 13 spots left. ;)

kiiopp
18th Jul 2010, 8:47 AM
Please add me in! :rofl:

HystericalParoxysm
18th Jul 2010, 9:19 AM
Rez Delnava - Either you edited or I didn't see your question the first time. Regarding the avatars, I'll be making those (unless some other awesome staff member wants to do it for me... come on, ppl, GUILT TRIP).

Johnny_Bravo
18th Jul 2010, 1:26 PM
I was building a modern house for the contest, but when I furnishing, my pc crashed D: now I have to build the whole house new, and I sat 4 hours on the design only :(
But Im not going to rebuild the house, contests are not really my thing, with limited building possibilities (bad english?xD)

LadyAwesome
18th Jul 2010, 1:48 PM
Oh I would if I actually had some tallent lol

GiveTheNineARide
18th Jul 2010, 3:59 PM
I come home from work this AM to see almost all the spots taken. :blink: Then I read HP's post that there will be an extension. :)

So I scale back the project and rip the top floor off my house and go to work on revamping the whole thing, trying to meet the deadline.

Now there is a storm rolling through and the power keeps going out. :faceslap:

So I guess at this point I am admitting defeat. Between the constant saving, rebooting after a power outage, redoing what I didn't get saved . . . I give up :!:

But above all I have had fun trying. So I'll finish the house and if it looks good enough I'll upload and share it.

My hats off to all that have and will get their entries posted in time and good luck to you and the staff trying to pick winners. All the houses look great! :up:

missroxor
18th Jul 2010, 7:33 PM
Woop, woop! I finally finished with only half an hour or something to go, thought I wasn't gonna get there. Can't wait to see the results now but I imagine they'll take a while 'cause there must be nearly 70 contestants now and they're still rolling in. :blink: I judged a 'for fun' contest on here once and with 17 contestants it took me 3 or 4 hours to go through them all and give comments etc so 70 is gonna take forever and a day...glad it's not me :lol:

PS good luck to all contestants :D

Yogi-Tea
18th Jul 2010, 8:02 PM
It's frustrating. I read about this contest around 11:30 a.m. this morning and immediately started to build the house. I thought I'd have enough time but I've been wrong - I'm too slow, I put too much time into details. The house is almost done but the garden is still poor. And even if I had been able to finish the house till now I'd still have to take pictures and and and.....

I just realized that I'm not a "fast-creation artist" and so I give up for now before I start to do a sloppy work. I already said it before... it's frustrating. *sighs*

Anyway, there are some really excellent creations in the contest. It'll be fun to see more creations in the next rounds. Good luck to all participants!

HystericalParoxysm
18th Jul 2010, 8:03 PM
69 ENTRIES!!! WOOO!!!

:heyhey:

Ya'll have no idea how much this makes me giggle.

WAIT NO.

:cry:

WhisperDharma
18th Jul 2010, 8:40 PM
:cry: I finished my house ... alas, the contest is already closed. :faceslap: I know I had no chance of winning anything or being in any sort of competition with you awesomely awesome builders. I just really wanted to participate... and I did, just not officially. And I'm rambling. :blink:

Good luck all!

heaven
18th Jul 2010, 8:43 PM
Okay, really silly question as I understand how the scoring works but am I right in assuming that only those who entered R1 will be able to compete in the subsequent rounds? Or will we have the mad rush trying to beat out anyone else who manages to build faster?

Gamineannie
18th Jul 2010, 9:07 PM
While I hate to complain about the practices of this site, I just want to say that I feel short-changed by the many alterations to the rules of this contest. First it will run til Thursday but with a limit of 50 participants. Then the limit is lifted, but if you're busy elsewhere you've missed the new deadline. Which I did - by a whole 26 minutes. Well, so much for that I guess. If anyone wants to see the one image I successfully managed to upload it is at the end of the official contest thread. I tried following one of the tutorials for loading photos in blogs, etc., but aside from that one image, the rest is gobbledygook! And the darn Internet Explorer insists on wanting to work offline, even though I've got DSL, so I have to turn it on again every time I change sites or pages.
This is why I have actually stopped creating since Sims2. There is such an emphasis on photowork, which is my dread weak point, that uploading became too much frustration. So, now I'll just go back to creating solely for myself.
Okay, now I have that frustration sandwich off my chest - thanks for listening!
By the by, I do wish all those who successfully entered the best of luck and look forward to seeing all your ideas!

Thranduil Oropherion
18th Jul 2010, 9:16 PM
Why don't you post your pictures here? It's really fun to see what people come up with, in contest or not!

Have fun with the 560 pictures total when judging ;)

I wish I'd taken a screenie of when my entry house caught on fire - I had enlisted Gobias Koffi (I hates him) as caretaker, playability tester and firelighter, and as I was trying to capture the study for the picture, a fire broke out in the Drawing Room - all he did was run around screaming, so I had to make him call the firefighters - as I hadnt installed a smoke detector (not very Victorian) .. it was funny at the time lol! He had to have a lie down afterwards and despite a lovely bedroom being at his disposal he slept in the servants bedroom :blink: But I did take pics of the damage and poor Gobias sleeping it off :rofl:

http://i25.tinypic.com/2ypn08x.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/9k00b9.jpg

WhisperDharma
18th Jul 2010, 9:19 PM
Oh, BTW... thank you, thank you, thank you, HP, for driving this contest. I had a great time building the house (I have not been playing Sims long and have only built a couple from scratch). It was a fun challenge and I learned quite a bit. (I still can't figure out how to do the roofs properly. They really cause me trouble).

heaven
18th Jul 2010, 9:19 PM
While I hate to complain about the practices of this site, I just want to say that I feel short-changed by the many alterations to the rules of this contest. First it will run til Thursday but with a limit of 50 participants. Then the limit is lifted, but if you're busy elsewhere you've missed the new deadline.

Can you imagine how many people would have entered this contest had it been allowed to run until Thursday??? It is only Sunday now and the contest is overflowing with participants! I think the judges changed the deadline for their own sanity. As Kaospilot pointed out, they already have 560 pictures to view and compare and judge from.

And, as for the photos thing, I understand it's not the easiest to get the best pictures but I REFUSE to download something I haven't seen decent images of. If it doesn't look as good as advertised I get mad, (and occasionally personally blacklist a creator, at least for awhile) so I don't even bother. Their policy prevents the site from hosting files people like me won't download (which I think is a large majority of this community). There is a really decent tutorial on taking snapshots on this site to learn from.

fragglerocks
18th Jul 2010, 9:20 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to everyone who entered the contest. You all have some really great houses. It is fascinating to see such diversity using the same foundation. Whoever thought of this contest idea is genius! (Can I buy the judges a round of drinks btw? Hmmm? :Pint: :giggler: )

heaven_sent...Almost missed your question. You assume correctly. On page one of the contest, it states that our scores from all four rounds will be added together.

gabrielorie
18th Jul 2010, 9:35 PM
Anyone knows when round 2 will start :anime: ? (Sorry a bit anxious :giggler: )

fragglerocks
18th Jul 2010, 9:42 PM
Anyone knows when round 2 will start :anime: ? (Sorry a bit anxious :giggler: )

HP said they will post it tomorrow. :)

I'm anxious too!

gabrielorie
18th Jul 2010, 9:48 PM
Ooh thanks :bunny:

GenuineSim
18th Jul 2010, 10:42 PM
If you missed the round 1 deadline can you still take part in round 2? DESTROYED me that I missed the first one!

LadyAwesome
18th Jul 2010, 11:03 PM
Oh so much was happeneing while I was sleeping, I need to get my a into g and get my house sorted lol

Sookielee
18th Jul 2010, 11:50 PM
I am so glad there is more time for round 2. Hated having to rush around like a chicken with it head cut off.

kikki0555
19th Jul 2010, 12:22 AM
I am disapointed...I did not know there was a limit on how many could join...I thought I had plenty of time to finish my house and logged on today to find the contest was closed :cry: ...I guess i should have logged in every day....Is there any way I can still enter the contest? Good luck to all of the wonderful entries...There are some amazing houses!

Ghost sdoj
19th Jul 2010, 12:31 AM
I hate my computer right about now. It lost my pictures and by the time I had re-taken them the contest was closed!

Edit: I don't think HP wants to judge more than 70 entries. Load Sims 2 back up and you can participate in that one, though.

(Assuming you aren't like me and have Sims 2 on the system as well.)

kikki0555
19th Jul 2010, 12:42 AM
I hate my computer right about now. It lost my pictures and by the time I had re-taken them the contest was closed!

Edit: I don't think HP wants to judge more than 70 entries. Load Sims 2 back up and you can participate in that one, though.

That is understandable...I think you can still show your work off here though...I'd love to see what you came up with :p

ForeverCamp
19th Jul 2010, 1:19 AM
Or, You both could use my Builder's Island (http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=403308) :) Haha, just a little advertise, but that's what I use cause it only takes few seconds to load and has the most of the basic lotsizes.

Damn you people and all your shinies. Because that poor computer doesn't have ENOUGH cc to deal with... :lol:

Wait? What happened while I was at work? A SIMS 2 VERSION CAME UP????? *runs off to check* Damn. You got me all excited for nothing.

cantresist17
19th Jul 2010, 1:27 AM
This is probably my first post on this site, sadly. Even worse, I worked so hard on my entry, and then as soon as I switched to save, my game closed down on me. I read that this happened to someone else as well. Although I remembered exactly what I did (I wouldn't have to start from scratch) before it was erased, I'm really sad to know that the contest is closed. I guess this is a kick in the butt for all the times I've ever taken my time on things (even overtime.) Regardless, I just wanted to say that I love this community and that the contestants are great representatives. I'm still going to post my house on the chat thread, so it feels like it wasn't all to waste.

*Edit: I had no idea I had posted things earlier. Huh. I never really bothered. I guess that counts the "thanks" comments. Go figure.

LadyAwesome
19th Jul 2010, 2:51 AM
lol I always save 2 times in each room for every half an hour I play because my computer over heats and just switchs itself off...

I was sneaky with my entry I posted my entry with just basics and not finished products because I was not going to be finished at the time and then when I was in bed she gave everyone 7 hours lol... Lucky me!!

LifesLover
19th Jul 2010, 2:59 AM
Yeah, my computer will randomly shut down on me when I'm trying to save the Sims, either version. I chalk it up to the fact that my computer's straining to run everything I've got on it. It's nearly three years old and I haven't been kind to it.

I was so afraid that I wasn't going to get my house done in time because I'd been following the thread and watching the spots fill up, so I didn't do as much as I would have liked. The landscaping and front of the house are quite lackluster because of it, so that'll lose me points, unfortunately. But I'm glad I got done what I could.

LadyAwesome
19th Jul 2010, 3:08 AM
you can still add more to it take photos I dont think its closed until well for maybe 5 more hours. I really want to change bits of my house but I cant be bothered anymore lol

missroxor
19th Jul 2010, 3:09 AM
Lifeslover, you know you can still edit your entry? They said for about 12 hours after it closed they will leave the thread open for edits so you can do up the 'lacklustre' bits.

Edit: Kayla beat me to it :lol:

LifesLover
19th Jul 2010, 3:27 AM
you can still add more to it take photos I dont think its closed until well for maybe 5 more hours. I really want to change bits of my house but I cant be bothered anymore lol

Yeah, I know I can, but I've never been very good at the outside decorating in the first place. I tried to do more, and in the end I just made it worse, so I decided to stop while I was ahead.

missroxor
19th Jul 2010, 3:47 AM
I know the feeling. I must've spent 2 or 3 hours on the landscaping alone because I'm so rubbish at it and don't normally bother with it. It's gonna be challenging for me to come up with another 3 gardens that aren't all the same thing, lol....that said, don't know if I'll manage 3 completely unique interiors either.

LifesLover
19th Jul 2010, 3:52 AM
Yeah, in the end, my houses all look the same. I haven't been playing for long, only since January, so building is still so new to me, and I know that there's something wrong with my work, I just don't know what and I don't know how to fix it.

missroxor
19th Jul 2010, 4:11 AM
I don't see anything wrong with your entry, not sure what you mean. I especially love your downstair bathroom :) but I'm glad I'm not the only one concerned about coming up with 3 more original houses :lol:

LifesLover
19th Jul 2010, 4:43 AM
Aw, thank you. The bathroom is my favorite part, really, too. That and the laundry. I go gaga over separate laundry rooms, I don't know why. But there's just something so blah about the outside exterior. But, well, hopefully this'll just be more experience for the next round. And I love your exterior, even though I'm not actually a fan of the more modern stuff. The fountain wall was a wonderful addition.

confuzzledone
19th Jul 2010, 5:59 AM
I suppose I'm being punished for sleeping in today. :( And I was so happy with my results! I usually build my houses much larger (40x40 and 50x50 suburban family-style homes) so this was a real challenge for me, and now I didn't even get to enter! Oh well. Maybe next time. :)

fragglerocks
19th Jul 2010, 6:08 AM
I don't see anything wrong with your entry, not sure what you mean. I especially love your downstair bathroom :) but I'm glad I'm not the only one concerned about coming up with 3 more original houses :lol:

I just wanted to say that I love the house you entered!

The next round should be easier, because A.We know we have more time (almost a week and a half) and B.Hopefully we will have the comments from the judges to help us improve our lots. :)

But seriously, that house...beautiful!

Punkface
19th Jul 2010, 6:32 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!11!!!
I JUST finished my entry.....and the post is closed?! </3
Oh well. I'm going to put it on the site anyway. I worked so hard on it...(took the better part of 4 hours, not including the 2 hour break I took after my computer crashed 45 minutes into the first attempt.)

LifesLover
19th Jul 2010, 7:07 AM
I just wanted to say that I love the house you entered!

The next round should be easier, because A.We know we have more time (almost a week and a half) and B.Hopefully we will have the comments from the judges to help us improve our lots. :)

But seriously, that house...beautiful!

Do you think we'll receive comments on our lots from the judges? I never really thought of that. I figured we'd just get the score and that's it.

LadyAwesome
19th Jul 2010, 7:22 AM
If I was a judge I dont think I could be bothered commenting on a hundred and ten millions houses (I know exadruation max)(( most likly spelt wrong too hahaha)) Im happy to take what I am given. But that is why I am doing this too so I can improve...
Yay exciting I hope to see more peoples homes in here who missed the cut and also join in all the rounds

fragglerocks
19th Jul 2010, 7:26 AM
Do you think we'll receive comments on our lots from the judges? I never really thought of that. I figured we'd just get the score and that's it.

On page one of the contest I believe that HP mentions somewhere to PM her if you want to see judges comments after each round. But as the previous poster mentioned, there may not be any. That's why I said "hopefully". If I get a low score, I would really like to know what I did wrong. I also wouldn't mind a comment or two on what I did right. Boost my ego a bit. ;)

missroxor
19th Jul 2010, 7:31 AM
Thanks for the comments guys :beer:

I remember that comment on the first thread too. I think that was the original plan but they might not give comments now because there's so many to do...though I have no idea how many judges there are. I guess if there's a lot of them and they split the entries between them we might get comments. Fingers crossed ;)

LifesLover
19th Jul 2010, 7:43 AM
Hrm, I don't remember that comment. I guess I must not have read it as closely as I thought I had. Or maybe my memory is just that horrible. But it'd be great if they could do something like that, in order to help improve. Again, though, just doing it alone is bound to help me improve.

Nightlight
19th Jul 2010, 7:55 AM
Well, I know that it's hard work (70 entries.. gulp :P ), but I really love to have some comments from the judges.
Comments can help to improve building (and decorating, of course) skills. :)

HystericalParoxysm
19th Jul 2010, 7:59 AM
I'll encourage the judges to offer comments as much as possible, but I can't guarantee anything. With so many contestants, there may not be comments - or very long comments, but we shall see. I'll be sending the judges their judging sheets within the next couple hours.

Miuki
19th Jul 2010, 8:49 AM
Hi all,
I was wondering, will accessability and playability of the house be taken into consideration?

HystericalParoxysm
19th Jul 2010, 8:54 AM
It's not an absolute requirement - though if a house is playable, that'd be a bit of an "over and above" kind of extra good thing. :)

LadyAwesome
19th Jul 2010, 9:01 AM
Yeah, I know I can, but I've never been very good at the outside decorating in the first place. I tried to do more, and in the end I just made it worse, so I decided to stop while I was ahead.

I couldn't find anything wrong with your pics either lol I am in the same boat as you though lol maybe we could hold eachothers hand hahaha

And HP I am sure we ALL understand the position your in and I think its awsome that you made it 70...kudos to you and good luck with judging lol Im exausted just thinking about it haha

and while I am at it I just seen the new foundation, thinking about what I am doing to do with it haha... I have no idea lol eeek!!

PiT91
19th Jul 2010, 11:00 AM
hi there, am I allowed to place friezes above the already existing foundations? I'm not adding any livable space. thanks!

gabrielorie
19th Jul 2010, 11:32 AM
Thats what i came here to ask to.I wonder if it will be against the rules because its a foundation....

Simmiller
19th Jul 2010, 12:03 PM
First, thank you suzetter for your nice comment :-) You made my day brighter!

Well, I didn't get my entry in on time, and now I can't participate (not to mention thought it was a challenge and not a contest, but that's my own ignorance), but I am allowed to show you my original work. So here it is:

A little earlier on in history, England and France were at war. Admiral Jonathan Taylor, from the British Navy, decided after the war that he would like to live in France. He chose a quiet little village, Ville des Sims, brought over his wife and 2 boys, and built a modest castle of 4 floors, and called it Meridith Manor after his wife. You'll see the Caliverti connection in a moment :-)

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=1118129

Atop the 4th floor there is a small tower that leads onto 2 outdoor patio areas. Here, Admiral Taylor played chess with his wife and sons, enjoying the challenge and building the foundation of his family. His wife, Meridith, especially enjoyed the quiet and seclusion while gazing at the stars through their telescope. The entire family also passed the time leisurely increasing their skill in painting, and all on the 4th floor patios.

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=1118124

The family slept quietly on the 3rd floor which held a master bedroom and the boys' room, and a full bathroom complete with clawfoot bathtub and separate shower.

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=1118123

On the 2nd floor, the Taylor's danced, and the boys hung out with their friends. During the downtime, Admiral Taylor sketched, increasing his skill in architecture, with which he hoped to make extra money for his family, which of course wasn't necessary due to his lavish military pension.

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=1118122

Finally, the main floor of the house, saw the most activity. There was cooking in the kitchen, eating in the dining room, and reading and sipping drinks in the living room.

http://thumbs.modthesims.info/getimage.php?file=1118121

Meridith tried her hand at building a garden, but was, unfortunately unsuccessful, with her head stuck in the clouds.

Well, this was a very long time ago, and after the boys married and had children of their own, there were only daughters to carry on the legacy. One daughter, Evanjeline, who inherited the castle after the death of her parents, married a wealthy, savvy Italian businessman named Hugo Caliverti. Fortunately, Hugo decided to maintain much of the castle as it was, but updated the "garden" to a small orchard, which flourished and brought the family many years of riches. Everyone from around Ville des Sims became familiar with Hugo Caliverti, so the family decided to rename the castle to Caliverti Castle.

Today, Marcus Caliverti, a great-great-great-grandson of Admiral Taylor, owns the castle and has modernized it, maintaining, however, the feel and function of each floor. He has now decided he wants to live in the city. Sacrilege! However, he has the right, and so he wishes to sell to YOU!

Enjoy Caliverti Castle and all the wonders it has to bring to you and your small family.

-Sorry for the novel, but I couldn't help myself! Too much fun :-) -

I hope your Sims love living here, and may their dreams come true in Caliverti Castle.

PiT91
19th Jul 2010, 12:04 PM
well, in my first attempt I'm using the friezes-like things inside my house, to make a mid-level. is it ok? answer please, can't wait! =P

burningglare
19th Jul 2010, 12:15 PM
Cassie and Dan finally were able to afford their dream home. A turn-of-the-century Victorian. They knew it wasn't perfect...not all of the rooms had been remodeled, but Cassie agreed to move in before all the renovations were complete as long as they could update at least one bathroom first. So they converted the very large butler's pantry into a laundry room and added a brand new bathroom on the first floor. Cassie is hoping she can talk Dan into demo-ing their kitchen next as it hasn't been updated since the 1950's...holy tacky linoleum!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/burningglare/Sims%203/Contest-fdn-victorianfront.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/burningglare/Sims%203/Contest-fdn-FloorPlans.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/burningglare/Sims%203/Contest-fdn-victoriankit.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/burningglare/Sims%203/Contest-fdn-victoriandining.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/burningglare/Sims%203/Contest-fdn-victorianbedrm.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/burningglare/Sims%203/Contest-fdn-victorianliving.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/burningglare/Sims%203/Contest-fdn-victorianfrontextra.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/burningglare/Sims%203/Contest-fdn-victorianporchdetail.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/burningglare/Sims%203/Contest-fdn-victorianbackyard.jpg

I was too slow for the contest :( so I am posting my house here...hope you like it! There are some amazing entries.

Simmiller
19th Jul 2010, 12:27 PM
burningglare, your house is very pretty :-) I like :up:

missroxor
19th Jul 2010, 12:33 PM
And we'll be doing another official contest very soon - and now we'll have a whole bunch of people who will have successfully participated in a contest, and can host their own unofficial contests. So you may not have been able to get in on this one, but there will be plenty of other chances in future to participate!

Woohoo! This excites me no end :lol: I can't beleive I totally forgot about those rules until now.

At the end of last year when I first discovered contests I tried so hard to get myself eligable to host but there was no more TS3 contests to be part of. I ended up volunteering to emergency judge a bunch of TS2 contests only to find out later that that didn't count and when I became a fully fledged judge the contest got binned by the host after a couple of rounds....I was beginning to think I was a jinx to contests so I gave up :lol:

Well so long as I make it through to the end without jinxing it for myself again I might have to revisit some of my old contest ideas...though who knows when I'll get time to host one now :rolleyes:

ForeverCamp
19th Jul 2010, 2:35 PM
Oh, Gawd, the round closed for judging, the second round came up and an entry got posted all between when I went to bed at midnight and woke up at eight! Feeling the pinch, even WITH the extra time...

Damn, and I had a new Sims 2 challenge family I wanted to start today. Oh, well, contest first.

Ive
19th Jul 2010, 2:47 PM
I just realised I misspelled 'deadline' into 'headline' on my entry :wtf:

NecroVonK
19th Jul 2010, 2:52 PM
I so hate that I don't have internet at home at the moment. It would have been nice to keep up with things. lol I signed on this morning and then see the contest caught like wild fire. 70 entries. Wow.

RandomArt
19th Jul 2010, 2:56 PM
I didn't do the first one because I thought each round was an individual contest and I didn't like what I did with that first foundation and now I'm sad. :(

burningglare
19th Jul 2010, 4:02 PM
burningglare, your house is very pretty :-) I like :up:

Thank you very much Simmiller! :)

**Simmiller-I just read your story and looked at your castle...love them both. Very interesting. I noticed you have a .rar file with your your castle...are we allowed to do that here? Or did you submit it through the normal channels first? I would like to share...that is why I am asking.
Anyway, thanks for sharing yours.

HystericalParoxysm
19th Jul 2010, 4:55 PM
RandomArt - You can still participate via the chat thread! :)

burningglare - If you want to share your house, best to do that by the regular upload channels - or if you want to upload it somewhere else, that's fine too. :)

ForeverCamp
19th Jul 2010, 5:31 PM
Well, damn, I misread the rules and can't submit this house for the second round - wait a second while my idea lightbulb flickers.... :

Okay, this is the original house I was going to enter into Round 2. I called it A Man's House. It's a beachfront, 1-bed, 1-bath house, perfectly for a bachelor or a retired couple. (Using collages since this isn't an official entry and I have a truckload of screenshots)

(Street view and backyard) http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/ForeverCamp/Sunset%20Valley/Screenshot-13-1.jpg

The real-estate fanatics of Sunset Valley have never been able to figure out what the purpose of the small water-enclosed tower in the front yard is. Currently, the theory is that the original builder meant for it to become a sentry station for the castle that never was.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/ForeverCamp/Sunset%20Valley/Screenshot-3-2-1.jpg

Floor plan, plus the picture I took to prove I hadn't been messing with the foundation - and then realized when I went to upload the pictures that overhanging tiles were strongly discouraged.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/ForeverCamp/Sunset%20Valley/Screenshot-9-1.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/ForeverCamp/Sunset%20Valley/Screenshot-5-1-1.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/ForeverCamp/Sunset%20Valley/Screenshot-6-1-1.jpg

And just because I think it's pretty awesome, and I'm feeling pretty damn proud of myself, this is the view from the sunroom in the back (as seen from a Sim's eye while lounging :lol: )
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff316/ForeverCamp/Sunset%20Valley/Screenshot-10-1-1.jpg

LifesLover
19th Jul 2010, 5:35 PM
That is an awesome view. I wish I had that kind of view. It looks great, it's too bad you couldn't use it. But at least this way you get to make another!

ForeverCamp
19th Jul 2010, 5:38 PM
Except now I've used the prettiest lot in the town... :lol:

LifesLover
19th Jul 2010, 5:56 PM
Well, you can always bin the house and put your new one down there.

Linen
19th Jul 2010, 5:59 PM
XD I'm sure it's okay, you can always save that house to your library, bulldoze it and then restart, right?
EDIT: Beat me to the punch there. XD;

In my mind, I'm still thinking of 'what to do.' I'm trying to wait until I can find information on R1's judging (I like knowing the things I've done wrong or right - it was almost going to be wight, which is totally spelled rong, GO TYPOS!) I have a few ideas floating around my head. I'm glad there's time, though, gives me time to play around and raise my nonexistent relationship meter with EA TS3.

...or at least understand it a bit more, so I don't have massive MonkeyBars-related screw-ups again. (Ignorance is not bliss.)

NecroVonK
19th Jul 2010, 6:43 PM
I have ideas for this round I think. Not sure if it's going to turn out to my liking though lol

And Armiel if you happen to check in on this thread I have to say I love your round 2 entry. Love the exterior color too. Green is my fave :)

Ive
19th Jul 2010, 6:59 PM
Got loads of ideas but the boyfriend wont let me have a go on the computer :rolleyes:

The houses submitted so far are really cool!

HystericalParoxysm
19th Jul 2010, 7:01 PM
Kaospilot - Blow him and then get on the computer once he's fallen asleep?

Ive
19th Jul 2010, 7:08 PM
Hehe, I like the way you're thinking.

NecroVonK
19th Jul 2010, 7:08 PM
Kaospilot - Blow him and then get on the computer once he's fallen asleep?

*cackles* Too funny.

I already warned mine earlier via text I'm wanting to start my entry this evening. I corrupted him and got him into playing the game. He's been caught up in the WA aspect of it.

armiel
19th Jul 2010, 7:15 PM
...And Armiel if you happen to check in on this thread I have to say I love your round 2 entry. Love the exterior color too. Green is my fave :)

Aww, thank you :D

I'm checking all challenge threads regularly ;)

Simmiller
19th Jul 2010, 7:19 PM
burningglare - If you want to share your house, best to do that by the regular upload channels - or if you want to upload it somewhere else, that's fine too. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up. I will submit my castle as soon as I get the prices....

NecroVonK
19th Jul 2010, 7:23 PM
*hops up and down* 2 more hours and I can get home and start on this.

HystericalParoxysm
19th Jul 2010, 7:33 PM
Also... ya'll know we have a live chat, right? :D

Indeed, MTS has had a live chat for aaaaages. We have two main public channels - #create (for talk about creating of all kinds for TS2/TS3, including building) and #social, for talk about boobs and how much we love banging your mom.

Click on Community > Live Chat and then pick a channel to join. We'd love to have you! And your mom! But we've already had her plenty - everyone has. :giggler:

(This is, of course, not to say that you can't chat in this here thread too, just if you're interested, live chat is fun.)

LifesLover
19th Jul 2010, 7:50 PM
I've got ideas, too, but I want to wait to see if there are any suggestions for improvements. I'm wondering about those three little foundation things. I don't want to do pillars, but what I attempted to do didn't really work or look good, so it's back to the thinking table.

NecroVonK
19th Jul 2010, 7:59 PM
I'm rethinking too. I saw someone else posted an entry and did something similar to what I had in mind so I'm trying to think up other options lol

wickedblue
19th Jul 2010, 8:45 PM
This contest almost got me to load TS3 up again as I went back to TS2. But I just didn't have time to get to it this weekend. The entries are all awesome though and I really like the way the foundation looks for round 2 so I might still do one for fun.

NecroVonK
19th Jul 2010, 9:06 PM
Ok I am now officially having a hard time thinking of what to do with this lol

Fyendiar
19th Jul 2010, 9:53 PM
I know it technically is making changes to the foundation, however it kinda is not. Is something like this allowed or just over the line?

1- let's say this was the original foundation
2- remove the outer line of it
3- put a floor over the just deleted foundation
4- use a fence to fake the wall back up

The endresult has the same outline for the foundation.

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/254/3453.jpg

Ive
19th Jul 2010, 10:05 PM
Okay, now more than even I am getting pissed about the grey bits on top of walls and the brown/beige edges of floors :rolleyes:

At least they could have made them the same colours so that it was cohesive!

armiel
19th Jul 2010, 10:12 PM
Kaospilot, if you have patch that came with ambitions or the later, you can recolour the edges of floortiles.

Ive
19th Jul 2010, 10:16 PM
I love you :)

Too bad it won't work on wall (or does it?)

porkypine
19th Jul 2010, 11:03 PM
I am happy with my first lot. I will upload it to MTS and see if it gets accepted. It is playable. I tested it with my simmies while doing the photoshoot. however. I need to find some PILLOWS for those lounging couches! lol

fragglerocks
19th Jul 2010, 11:18 PM
Well I am having trouble accessing the chat room, so I guess I'll chat here. :)

I had no idea we have the ability to color in the floor tile edges! Wow! Okay, well that will help tremendously with my new house!

So how far along is everyone? I've finished the basic structure-walls, windows, layout, etc. I've started finishing off the exterior. No interior is done yet, except layout. I'm doing a beach house instead of a cottage this time.

Ive
19th Jul 2010, 11:47 PM
I'm done with the house itself so need to do the garden and interior next.

Doing a super modern house that still has some charm aka it's not so empty! Everytime I make modern houses I tend to not place much in the house itself :blink:

seraphime
20th Jul 2010, 12:20 AM
With the walls and roof I'm finished. Interior is giving me troubles *grrr* mainly the color scheme. My houses are usually family homes, Craftsman's styled mainly, once in awhile semi Victorian or country. This time I'm doing something completely different then what I'm use to building (not modern, not that modern is bad :D) The three squares in front didn't give me too much trouble. Not to mention I'm pretty OCD about matching styles, the set I'm using from the Sims Store doesn't have a matching set of end tables to go with it.. so its irking me.. hopefully I'll be finished tonight or tomorrow.

Ive
20th Jul 2010, 12:26 AM
... and then I was kicked off the computer again by the boyfriend. Lousy SOB :rolleyes:

LifesLover
20th Jul 2010, 12:31 AM
Wait, we can color the edges of the tiles? Yay, I learned my something new for the day. I still haven't even started my house. I just don't know what to do. I stare at it in game and my brain breaks.

But that's why it's a contest, it's meant to be challenging.

Ive
20th Jul 2010, 12:34 AM
I wonder how the next one will be when this has been a bit annoying :giggler: I'm not going to do any mentions of what would suck to get as I'm sure they would include it in the next one then!

LifesLover
20th Jul 2010, 12:45 AM
Well, someone did say that the foundations would get progressively harder and more complex as the rounds continue.

Ive
20th Jul 2010, 1:16 AM
Yea, should be fun :)

I notice the forums seem more quiet around this hour (1 AM here), so where is the majority of you guys from?

LifesLover
20th Jul 2010, 1:32 AM
Yeah, it does seem quiet. It's only 8:32 pm where I am.

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 1:38 AM
Lifeslover, I'm on the same boat as you unfortunately. I was awake at 6am thismorning (baby) and when I saw the foundation I automatically had an "amazing" idea but I was too tired to start on it so went back to bed. 7.5 hours later I've just shut my game down in frustration 'cause my idea isn't panning out too well and I can't think what else to do. Grrrr!!

What makes it more depressing is seeing all the different ideas that everyone else is coming up with so quickly on the contest thread :cry: My imagination has shriveled up and died :lol:

Kaospilot, where are you? I'm finding the whole time zone thing a bit weird 'cause I've just moved from the UK to Nevada 2 months ago.

costumegenie
20th Jul 2010, 1:50 AM
Ah well, my first contest submission and I don't make it in time. Since I've worked so hard on it, I'm sharing it anyway. This is from the first foundation in the challenge. It's also my first forum post so forgive me any faux pas please. Here's...drumroll please...

Barnaby's Lodge

This warm and woodsy 2br,1 1/2 bath home will make you feel like you are living in the mountains, even if you are staring at the beach. The interior of this home brings surprises around every corner, from the spacious and modern layout of the kitchen to the private balcony in the master bedroom. Spend your evenings watching fireflies by the pond.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/costumegenie/sims%20shots/Screenshot-23.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/costumegenie/sims%20shots/Screenshot-25.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/costumegenie/sims%20shots/Screenshot-26.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/costumegenie/sims%20shots/Screenshot-29.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/costumegenie/sims%20shots/Screenshot-28.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/costumegenie/sims%20shots/Screenshot-27.jpg

LifesLover
20th Jul 2010, 1:54 AM
Lifeslover, I'm on the same boat as you unfortunately. I was awake at 6am thismorning (baby) and when I saw the foundation I automatically had an "amazing" idea but I was too tired to start on it so went back to bed. 7.5 hours later I've just shut my game down in frustration 'cause my idea isn't panning out too well and I can't think what else to do. Grrrr!!

What makes it more depressing is seeing all the different ideas that everyone else is coming up with so quickly on the contest thread :cry: My imagination has shriveled up and died :lol:

Kaospilot, where are you? I'm finding the whole time zone thing a bit weird 'cause I've just moved from the UK to Nevada 2 months ago.

Yeah, I just have no clue. I've been thinking of doing something along the lines of a disaster house, like post-apocalyptic, but I can't even begin to think of how to accomplish it.

You're even earlier than I am if you're in Nevada.

I love your house, costumegenie, it sucks that you didn't get in because your design looks beautiful. Are you going to put up any pictures of the inside?

EDIT: Never mind, apparently you did. My computer sucks and half of the photos won't load for me on the site.

confuzzledone
20th Jul 2010, 2:02 AM
I didn't make the deadline, so I'll share here. :) Hope you guys like it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to Summer House -- a simple home that boasts beautiful scenery and encourages relaxation.. once the work is done, of course. Summer House was built along the St. Angelo River in the 1940s, but has recently been excellently refurbished with every effort to keep the home's original charm.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/cjnicole504/screenshots/Screenshot-18-1.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/cjnicole504/screenshots/Screenshot-2.jpg

The gardens have been meticulously landscaped all around the home. There is a lovely front porch to greet visitors, and a grilling patio in the rear.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/cjnicole504/screenshots/Screenshot-19.jpg

The interior has been decorated in coordinating colors. There is one bedroom, one office, 1.5 bathrooms, an open living room, dining area, and kitchen with bar.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/cjnicole504/screenshots/Screenshot-13.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/cjnicole504/screenshots/Screenshot-5.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/cjnicole504/screenshots/Screenshot-7.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/cjnicole504/screenshots/Screenshot-16.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/cjnicole504/screenshots/Screenshot-17.jpg

Floor Plan:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/cjnicole504/screenshots/Screenshot-4.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/cjnicole504/screenshots/Screenshot-3.jpg

The only CC in this lot is the car. :) But there are a few items from the store.

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 2:08 AM
Yep, it's just after 6pm here. Does that make you in the centre somewhere or on the East coast? My knowledge of state related timezones is non existant, lol. Funny you should say that about your idea, mine was similar. Not so much post apocalyptic, just really run down and old and maybe a bit creepy ;) I just wanted to do something really different to my first entry but I'm struggling. I don't normally do run-down so I'm wondering if maybe I should just stick to what I know.

Ive
20th Jul 2010, 2:10 AM

I'm in Manchester.

Nevada, that is certainly a step up from the UK ;) Why there?

I'm almost done with my house now. Quite pleased with it.

LifesLover
20th Jul 2010, 2:11 AM
Yep, it's just after 6pm here. Does that make you in the centre somewhere or on the East coast? My knowledge of state related timezones is non existant, lol. Funny you should say that about your idea, mine was similar. Not so much post apocalyptic, just really run down and old and maybe a bit creepy ;) I just wanted to do something really different to my first entry but I'm struggling. I don't normally do run-down so I'm wondering if maybe I should just stick to what I know.

I'm right on the east coast. Basically, you're about three hours earlier than I am, which means that you're three time zones to the west of me... I think.

I don't have much knowledge about time zones, either. I'm afraid my high school never really cared all that much for teaching me geography or caring about the other parts of the world.

Really? Well, old and run down is different from post-apocalyptic, though I suppose I could try to come up with something, especially since I'm also having a hard time figuring out how to go about it.

heaven
20th Jul 2010, 2:19 AM
costumegenie - your house is beautiful! It makes me kind of glad you didn't make it...teeheehee.

Also, for all your round twoers, I noticed discussion of placing plants, objects, etc on bits of the foundation and making it either not show or less visible. After this, I noticed HP made a comment about you "can do this" but lose points. I'm not sure if she meant the plants or something about extending the foundation as that question/discussion was mentioned around the same area. Any clarification on this?

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 2:21 AM
I'm in Manchester.

Nevada, that is certainly a step up from the UK ;) Why there?

I'm almost done with my house now. Quite pleased with it.

A Manc! Bloody hell you lot are everywhere! ;) My husband just got a job out here for 3 years so I came along with him and the baby popped out a couple of weeks later, lol. The first American in the family :D

PS no need to rub it in to me and lifeslover about finishing your entry :lol:

Lifeslover, I don't think I know the difference, lol, they both just look old and shabby to me...though I suppose post apocalyptic would be more destroyed than deteriorated but could you tell the difference with a sim house? :blink:

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 2:24 AM
costumegenie - your house is beautiful! It makes me kind of glad you didn't make it...teeheehee.

Also, for all your round twoers, I noticed discussion of placing plants, objects, etc on bits of the foundation and making it either not show or less visible. After this, I noticed HP made a comment about you "can do this" but lose points. I'm not sure if she meant the plants or something about extending the foundation as that question/discussion was mentioned around the same area. Any clarification on this?
I think she was referring to the discussion about floating floor tiles...you can do it if you don't mind losing points. Don't think there's any actual rule against hiding the stumps of foundation but personally, If I was a judge I would dock points under the heading 'Structure' because it's not using the foundation to it's fullest....but then I've been called an unfair judge in the past for being too harsh :giggler:

Ive
20th Jul 2010, 2:27 AM

I was actually wondering that too but decided to not use any, haha.

A Manc! Bloody hell you lot are everywhere! ;) My husband just got a job out here for 3 years so I came along with him and the baby popped out a couple of weeks later, lol. The first American in the family :D :

I am actually from Norway but moved to Lincolnshire and then to Manchester ;) You are very lucky though. So many people dream of doing something like that but won't because they are scared about working there. So at least you don't have to worry about that! You like it there? And may I ask what is it you husband do? Wondering what sort of job it takes to be transferred from UK to LV, hehe.

LifesLover
20th Jul 2010, 2:31 AM
A Manc! Bloody hell you lot are everywhere! ;) My husband just got a job out here for 3 years so I came along with him and the baby popped out a couple of weeks later, lol. The first American in the family :D

PS no need to rub it in to me and lifeslover about finishing your entry :lol:

Lifeslover, I don't think I know the difference, lol, they both just look old and shabby to me...though I suppose post apocalyptic would be more destroyed than deteriorated but could you tell the difference with a sim house? :blink:

Really? Do you like it in the US or do you miss your home?

I honestly don't know. At this point, I'll probably just do something else. Those three bits of foundation are eating my brain, though, about what I should do. Pillars is the default choice, but I want to think more about it before I choose to do anything about it. At least this time I'm not as worried about getting it in as quickly as possible, so I'm going to take all the necessary time I need to make it look good.

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 2:35 AM
He's military, there's a little Brit Squadron based out here for a couple of years, we were lucky to get it really. I do love it but the heat is unbearable. I don't go out during the day unless I absolutely have to - I'm Scottish so I'm used to and prefer to freeze my ass off. Apart from that I'm still trying to get used to all the funny little Americans and they're strange ways ;)

Edit: Yes, I am aware that I've just fulfilled the British stereotype of complaining about the weather :giggler:

Lifeslover I agree about taking it easy, something will come to you :) Actually I've just had a thought that I might try out...it might break one of the rules though but maybe it's worth it if it means the difference between submitting a house and not submitting, lol

LifesLover
20th Jul 2010, 2:41 AM
He's military, there's a little Brit Squadron based out here for a couple of years, we were lucky to get it really. I do love it but the heat is unbearable. I don't go out during the day unless I absolutely have to - I'm Scottish so I'm used to and prefer to freeze my ass off. Apart from that I'm still trying to get used to all the funny little Americans and they're strange ways ;)

Edit: Yes, I am aware that I've just fulfilled the British stereotype of complaining about the weather :giggler:

The weather's not so bad where I live. It's the humidity, though. I live on the more southern side of the east coast, so the humidity kills me, since I'm used to drier air up north. And if you're in Nevada, no wonder you're hot, that's desert.

We're strange, are we? Nice to know, I guess.

confuzzledone
20th Jul 2010, 2:42 AM
Really? Do you like it in the US or do you miss your home?

I honestly don't know. At this point, I'll probably just do something else. Those three bits of foundation are eating my brain, though, about what I should do. Pillars is the default choice, but I want to think more about it before I choose to do anything about it. At least this time I'm not as worried about getting it in as quickly as possible, so I'm going to take all the necessary time I need to make it look good.

Just an idea.. but you could use them as raised flower beds. Though, flower beds may look odd in front of a post-apocalyptic house. :lol:

LifesLover
20th Jul 2010, 2:43 AM
That's an idea. Maybe my story will be that the house is being currently renovated. :D

Ciane
20th Jul 2010, 2:49 AM
I love to build and decorate, but I am extremely slow. I didn't see the contest until Saturday and spent the rest of the day designing the house. Then I spent all day Sunday decorating and blending colors. It's a good thing I'm not in the contest and so I am now off the hook about dithering over landscaping and changing the changes.

I thought I'd share pictures of what I did, just because I love seeing how everyone split up the rooms so differently.

I chose a beach lot in Sunset. I decided on wood, and brick, and stucco. I wanted it to be a bit modern, but I have too much love of traditional.

front:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ciane/MTS%20House%20Contest/Screenshot-44.jpg

overhead (top):
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ciane/MTS%20House%20Contest/Screenshot-49.jpg

overhead (bottom):
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ciane/MTS%20House%20Contest/Screenshot-50.jpg

kitchen:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ciane/MTS%20House%20Contest/Screenshot-54.jpg

(I love a U-shaped kitchen, so I couldn't pass this up.)

living:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ciane/MTS%20House%20Contest/Screenshot-55.jpg

bedroom:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ciane/MTS%20House%20Contest/Screenshot-61.jpg

(Yes, there must be passionate red in the bedroom.)

Bonus:

1: Because I am an artist, I couldn't resist the inventing, scupting, and drafting setups. The rec room that was to house the foosball table became the creativity room instead. I might actually play this house!
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ciane/MTS%20House%20Contest/Screenshot-63.jpg

2: A view of the back of the house seems a must to really get a better feel of the whole house. Here the landscaping is oversimplified in order to match the landscaping of the land around the house. Most the neighboring areas have only palm trees, that shrub, and a little pink flowering bush. One spot had some of those yellow daisies and I almost cried with pleasure that I was offered an additional choice.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ciane/MTS%20House%20Contest/Screenshot-64.jpg

3. This one is important because it is the reason there is no fence or pool or structured patio. Look at this view. It really needs to be enjoyed in nature's simplest way - a lounger in the back yard.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ciane/MTS%20House%20Contest/Screenshot-66.jpg

If I would have made the contest cutoff, I would have moved a sim in and spent an hour or so taking pictures in tabbed mode. Luck me, I will go play with my ferrets now.

To all in the contest, good luck! To all the judges, even more luck!

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 2:50 AM
We're strange, are we? Nice to know, I guess.

No offence but yes, you are all off your friggin heads :giggler: It's the food and the driving that bothers me most. Food because I can't find a lot of things that I used to really like and I don't mean brands because obviously American brands are different to British but just basic food items...like apparently in America pork or lamb stock cubes don't exist wich sucks when you're trying to make a pot of soup and don't want to boil up bones. ...and the driving, seriously, do people actually take driving lessons out here or do they just jump in a car and pretend they're at the go-kart track?! Oh yeah, and then there's the guns and violence...don't get me started on that, lol. On the whole though, I do like it here :lol:

LifesLover
20th Jul 2010, 2:55 AM
No offence but yes, you are all off your friggin heads :giggler: It's the food and the driving that bothers me most. Food because I can't find a lot of things that I used to really like and I don't mean brands because obviously American brands are different to British but just basic food items...like apparently in America pork or lamb stock cubes don't exist wich sucks when you're trying to make a pot of soup and don't want to boil up bones. ...and the driving, seriously, do people actually take driving lessons out here or do they just jump in a car and pretend they're at the go-kart track?! Oh yeah, and then there's the guns and violence...don't get me started on that, lol. On the whole though, I do like it here :lol:

Actually, we do have those cubes. They're called bouillon cubes. At least, I think that's what you're taking about. They're a meat paste in little cubes that you hydrate for broth.

Yeah, the driving pisses me off. I'm always raging about it when I'm driving, because most people can't even do something as simple as turn their signal on.

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 3:02 AM
Actually, we do have those cubes. They're called bouillon cubes. At least, I think that's what you're taking about. They're a meat paste in little cubes that you hydrate for broth.

Yeah, the driving pisses me off. I'm always raging about it when I'm driving, because most people can't even do something as simple as turn their signal on.

I found tubs of boullion but only in veg, beef or chicken...no lamb or pork :( Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. I don't drive out here yet because my British licence is no good, I have to sit the Nevada state driving test apparently which I haven't got around to doing yet but I'm really not looking forward to driving here, they're all bloody suicidal on these roads. It's terrifying being a passenger sometimes! :blink:

I would just like to take a minute to apologise to everyone who came to this post expecting talk about competitions and houses and were instead confronted with stock cubes :lol: my bad. I know HP said about chat earlier but it doesn't seem to work for me, it won't let me connect. :rolleyes:

LifesLover
20th Jul 2010, 3:08 AM
Hrm, I'm not much of a cook, so I don't know much about what's out there or not. Maybe there aren't any for lamb or pork. My mom just uses the others, apparently. LOL, I love driving, I don't think I could stand not being able to. And maybe I'm just used to the driving. After my father, I can handle anybody.

Yeah, no chat on any forum I've ever been to has worked for me.

Oh, by the way, Ciane, your house looks great, especially that kitchen. I've been trying to do U-shaped kitchens for a while now, but they don't work for me, just corner ones.

fragglerocks
20th Jul 2010, 3:18 AM
I had trouble with chat earlier and started a thread about it. http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=412747

Maybe HP's solution will work for you. I'm too computer dumb to figure it out. But I don't want to bother the busy contest-judging mods. Maybe you could figure it out for me! :)

LifesLover
20th Jul 2010, 3:28 AM
Hrm, do you think your have your web browser set to allow chats. It may be your browser blocking it. Or maybe your Java isn't working right.

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 3:38 AM
Hmm, I might have to try that at some point so I can continue totally irrelevant discussions in the appropriate forum but not right now....I've been hit with some inspiration...I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with it but I have some vague ideas about what to do with those 3 foundation stumps so I'm gonna give it a go and see where I end up :D

LifesLover
20th Jul 2010, 3:44 AM
Great! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

heaven
20th Jul 2010, 3:54 AM
if you have patch that came with ambitions or the later, you can recolour the edges of floortiles.

This alone makes me want to go out and get Ambitions! Although I have wanted that one over WA anyway. Still operating with base game only. Wanted to test it out first and see if I could be bothered with it.

I think she was referring to the discussion about floating floor tiles...you can do it if you don't mind losing points. Don't think there's any actual rule against hiding the stumps of foundation but personally, If I was a judge I would dock points under the heading 'Structure' because it's not using the foundation to it's fullest....but then I've been called an unfair judge in the past for being too harsh :giggler:

I wasn't planning on covering it so you couldn't see it. Just using it more like you would use a platform or such. :D Still not sure though exactly. Got stuff there now and I can't say that it's my favorite.

lewisb40
20th Jul 2010, 5:27 AM
You don't have to buy ambitions to recolor floor tiles or ceilings, it came in the last patch.

heaven
20th Jul 2010, 5:43 AM
You don't have to buy ambitions to recolor floor tiles or ceilings, it came in the last patch.

Weird, I literally just updated yesterday and that option is not available for me. :cry:

sandymdh
20th Jul 2010, 8:17 AM
I'm from the UK too. Post-apocalyptic would be great but I reckon a huge challenge with limited CC. Hope you do it though :-) Even though I've posted my house I'm totally addicted- I keep having to check back to look at everyone elses. It's amazing how varied they are.

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 8:30 AM
Well I started off intending to do an old, falling to bits house and I had one little idea that snowballed into me building the most modern looking house I've ever built :rolleyes: Now I'm having mare trying to decide how to decorate the exterior walls but hey, at least I have walls now :D

fragglerocks
20th Jul 2010, 9:11 AM
Well I have my entry posted, with a few spots left open for editing. That was hard work, and I got very little sleep. But I had SO much fun with this house.

http://modthesims.info/showpost.php?p=3252774&postcount=87 <-- Here it is if you want a look-see. :)

LadyAwesome
20th Jul 2010, 9:51 AM
I bet evergone is in sunny land and im living in the middle of winter ..... atleast I dont want to go outside and do stuff on my days off. Ill get cracking on my house tomorrow!!! Still have no ideas.... its killing me. Maybe I'll dream about it. 8.51pm... ... ... ill jst join the convo 10 hours late lol

Ive
20th Jul 2010, 10:33 AM

Aha. Yea there was some Americans placed around Lincs when I grew up there as there is like three RAF bases around.

The heat here now is unbearable, can't stand going outside. So can only imagine how bad LV is! My uncle just got married there so my mum said it was insanely hot compared to England.

I was in Miami once and we were buying food at some supermarket while queuing some woman just burst into prayer and people started singing as if they were in a church :blink: That would have never happened here, haha. And Americans in general are quite different than Europeans, not in a bad way of course but it's more of a difference than people think.

LadyAwesome
20th Jul 2010, 10:54 AM
awwww my friend is off to europe 36 hours in the plane eeek im so jelouse but thats a long flight lol

angelicangel13
20th Jul 2010, 12:13 PM
So i thought i would try to make a house using the floor plan and contest rules, as i didnt get my first house in the first round as i missed out, i wanted to just try it for round 2 floor plan.

Here goes, ive never uploaded anything here before, and im not sure if my game even saved my house after i took the pics as it had froze, will just have to rebuild again i guess.

Here are my pics from my original house
Front View
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/angelicangel13/Screenshot-4.jpg
Close Up view
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/angelicangel13/Screenshot-17.jpg
FloorPlan View
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/angelicangel13/Screenshot-2.jpg
Lounge Room
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/angelicangel13/Screenshot-6.jpg
Relax and watch some tv or listen to some music in this spacious and airy lounge room
Kitchen
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/angelicangel13/Screenshot-7.jpg
This kitchen also boasts a small eat in area for breakfast , lunch or tea.
Bedroom
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/angelicangel13/Screenshot-9.jpgThe main bedroom contains a double bed with white satin sheets and lovely bedspread to help keep you comfortable during your naps
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/angelicangel13/Screenshot-10.jpg
At the other end of the bedroom we have a lovely dresser and some artwork
Outdoor Entertainment Area
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/angelicangel13/Screenshot-12.jpg
A lovely wooden table and chairs situated under a wooden pergola, over behind you can see the BBQ area, right behind that wall you have a sink and preparation area for all your entertain and cooking needs.
Front Pond
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/angelicangel13/Screenshot-11.jpg

CC Used:
SYL Zen Paradise Column 2n
SYL Zen Paradise Awning
SYL Zen Paradise Column 2 (top trim)n
(all from The Sims Resource) all free content

So all done, hopefully it looks good. Fingers crossed i dont have to rebuild it.
So that is my first attempt.

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 12:26 PM
Aha. Yea there was some Americans placed around Lincs when I grew up there as there is like three RAF bases around.

The heat here now is unbearable, can't stand going outside. So can only imagine how bad LV is! My uncle just got married there so my mum said it was insanely hot compared to England.

I was in Miami once and we were buying food at some supermarket while queuing some woman just burst into prayer and people started singing as if they were in a church :blink: That would have never happened here, haha. And Americans in general are quite different than Europeans, not in a bad way of course but it's more of a difference than people think.

God, yes. I think that's what surprised me the most. I'd always assumed that Americans were essentially the same as Brits except they have a much different accent and live over the sea but no, there is a vast difference. I went to the cinema a couple of weeks ago and people shouted at the screen in the same way an audience would shout, "he's behind you!" to the pantomime good guy.... it's not real! They can't hear you! They also gave a round of applause to the screen at one point too which totally befuddled me :lol: I've also been on a bus ride where the driver sang her every move - I mean the lyrics were things like, "we be movin, we be movin, I'm a turnin, I'm a turnin, to the left, to the left".... :blink: Just wouldn't happen in the UK where you'd be lucky to get a smile from a bus driver (maybe I spent too much time in London). Yep, there's a lot of crazy out here :lol:

One thing you have to admire is their ability to celebrate holidays. So far I've been out here for mother's and father's day, 4th July and something else...I think it was Flag day. They really put us Brits to shame, especially their remembrance day equivalent (I can't remember what they call it,...was that Flag day or was it something else?) I remember they really went all out for it anyway and it was like a huge celebration in memory of all the dead. In contrast remembrance day in th UK is a very sombre event and I suppose to an outsider would come off as stuffy and boring but it's supposed to be respectful. Sadly it means that less and less people acknowledge it because the yoof of today can't be arsed being sombre and respectful. I like the way Americans do it, they get everyone involved and have fun with it. :up:

NecroVonK
20th Jul 2010, 1:37 PM
Well I went home yesterday and worked on this and worked on it. Nothing I did I really liked then I wound up with something I was somewhat happy with on the outside and be damned if when I went to edit town mode it locked up forever so I lost everything. Guess I'll try again this evening. May try to come up with other ideas throughout the day. I'm thinking maybe i should move a family onto the lot before I get started and just send them out of the way so I can at least save easier periodically.

Ciane
20th Jul 2010, 1:39 PM
Oh, by the way, Ciane, your house looks great, especially that kitchen. I've been trying to do U-shaped kitchens for a while now, but they don't work for me, just corner ones.

Thanks for your nice comments, LifesLover. The trick to those diagonal counters hooking up right with the straight ones is holding the alt key to move them freely into the best placement and getting the right countertop texture (as the diagonal pattern will bleed through the straight one).

AngelicAngel13, I really like the diagonal walls and the creme colored brick. I haven't started on the round two formation yet. I did download it last night, but I didn't go back into to play Sims afterwards. I do know what I'll be doing today though.

CostumeGenie - Interesting kitchen island shape and use of wood texture on the ceiling!

Confuzzledone - I really like that layout.

Ive
20th Jul 2010, 2:16 PM
God, yes. I think that's what surprised me the most. I'd always assumed that Americans were essentially the same as Brits except they have a much different accent and live over the sea but no, there is a vast difference. I went to the cinema a couple of weeks ago and people shouted at the screen in the same way an audience would shout, "he's behind you!" to the pantomime good guy.... it's not real! They can't hear you! They also gave a round of applause to the screen at one point too which totally befuddled me :lol: I've also been on a bus ride where the driver sang her every move - I mean the lyrics were things like, "we be movin, we be movin, I'm a turnin, I'm a turnin, to the left, to the left".... :blink: Just wouldn't happen in the UK where you'd be lucky to get a smile from a bus driver (maybe I spent too much time in London). Yep, there's a lot of crazy out here :lol:

One thing you have to admire is their ability to celebrate holidays. So far I've been out here for mother's and father's day, 4th July and something else...I think it was Flag day. They really put us Brits to shame, especially their remembrance day equivalent (I can't remember what they call it,...was that Flag day or was it something else?) I remember they really went all out for it anyway and it was like a huge celebration in memory of all the dead. In contrast remembrance day in th UK is a very sombre event and I suppose to an outsider would come off as stuffy and boring but it's supposed to be respectful. Sadly it means that less and less people acknowledge it because the yoof of today can't be arsed being sombre and respectful. I like the way Americans do it, they get everyone involved and have fun with it. :up:

I totally agree. I just notice when I go to Norway to visit my mums family how much they take pride in the national day and just generally are very friendly and open but at the same time not so gossipy and curious (about things that is not really their business) that I feel the English sometimes are. Common sense is a bit more alive than it is in the UK at the moment as well :rolleyes: I actually don't find London much different from the other cities in England when it comes to being friendly and such. If that's a good or bad thing I don't know :lol:

--

I've been working some more on my house today! I'm pretty done with the exterior so have to move on to the garden and interior next. It's like a box modern house thing with an arch over it. It's supposed to 'protect from the sun and provide isolation of the heat when it's cold to save electricity'. So got a purpose of the house done too, but I still need a name for it :|

Snip

Fyendiar
20th Jul 2010, 2:31 PM
Kaospilot, I love what you are doing with your new house. Not too many can manage to make a very modern looking house still feel warm! Nice work!

sandymdh
20th Jul 2010, 2:35 PM
Kaospilot- Love the 2 layer effect of the exterior- very unusual. Might almost persuade me to give Modern houses a try :-)

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 2:50 PM
... So far I've been out here for mother's and father's day, 4th July and something else...I think it was Flag day. They really put us Brits to shame, especially their remembrance day equivalent (I can't remember what they call it,...was that Flag day or was it something else?)

Now that it's a more reasonable time (I posted that last about 0430am) I can tell you that it was memorial day I was refering to, not flag day

Loving all the houses so far. Have a quick question for you all though...I remember the camera controls used to be a bit weird for TS3 and that you had to control them with the letter keys on the left hand side of the keyboard. You used to be able to get down really low into a room with walls up and zoom out without it taking you out the room (though it sometimes looked a bit like when you look through the peep hole in your front door....well I noticed when I was taking pics for R1 that I no longer had that ability (or couldn't find the right key). I could still zoom out but instead of zoomin out like an actual camera would (without moving) the whole thing moved back and up which meant I couldn't get any close-ups from really low down. Does that make any sense? It's hard to explain but does anyone knows what the hell I'm doing wrong?

kaospilot, I love that arch roof idea, it looks really effective too :up: So how long have you lived in the UK? Your written English is better than most Brits so I'd guess you've either lived in a predominantly English speaking country for a loooong time or you're just a super smarty pants :lol:

Edit: you know for upload you can't have collages?

NecroVonK
20th Jul 2010, 3:04 PM
Loving all the houses so far. Have a quick question for you all though...I remember the camera controls used to be a bit weird for TS3 and that you had to control them with the letter keys on the left hand side of the keyboard. You used to be able to get down really low into a room with walls up and zoom out without it taking you out the room (though it sometimes looked a bit like when you look through the peep hole in your front door....well I noticed when I was taking pics for R1 that I no longer had that ability (or couldn't find the right key). I could still zoom out but instead of zoomin out like an actual camera would (without moving) the whole thing moved back and up which meant I couldn't get any close-ups from really low down. Does that make any sense? It's hard to explain but does anyone knows what the hell I'm doing wrong?

With the pics I noticed I can't do the fancy camera controls unless I move a sim into the house. Kind of inconvenient but I do it when I need good pics.

And kaospilot love what you're doing with the house. It's awesome.

Fyendiar
20th Jul 2010, 3:05 PM
I think you are looking for the TAB key, Missroxor. :)

Ive
20th Jul 2010, 3:24 PM
Fyendiar, Sandymdh, Greenlea, missroxor - Thank you guys :lovestruc I wasn't quite sure about the idea but I think I'll go for it now. I actually hate building modern.

kaospilot, I love that arch roof idea, it looks really effective too :up: So how long have you lived in the UK? Your written English is better than most Brits so I'd guess you've either lived in a predominantly English speaking country for a loooong time or you're just a super smarty pants :lol:

Edit: you know for upload you can't have collages?

I think it's the tab key you need when in live mode as well.

My dad is English so have had to speak for most of my life. Earliest I can remember speaking 'properly' was when I was 7. We only decided to move here when I was 18 because then I was done with school so it wouldn't be so much hassle. I guess it comes off as a bit better than usual as I don't write lyk dis innit :lol:

I thought we could choose to have collages for the 3 random pictures. I'm not sure though and the forum looks a bit messed up for me at the moment so can't read up on the rules. I wasn't planning on using these any way though as the house is not finished!

Ciane
20th Jul 2010, 3:32 PM
I like the stark white against the warm color, and I like the windowed look to them so they are more open and less bulky.

I thought I'd try a planter idea for the front.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ciane/MTS%20House%20Contest/Screenshot-67.jpg

Ive
20th Jul 2010, 3:36 PM
What a good idea! That fence looks perfect in between the foundations :)

NecroVonK
20th Jul 2010, 4:29 PM
I'm coming up with some kind of concept. Probably will be a bit odd...I'll have to see what happens once I start it. May wind up with something totally different than I imagined. That happened yesterday before I lost it all lol

heaven
20th Jul 2010, 5:38 PM
I thought we could choose to have collages for the 3 random pictures.

I think the only thing we can have collages of is the floorplan/layout. You can put it together in a collage or have each floor as its own image.

And I am glad that I am not the only one having issues with that forum! I hope it gets fixed soon.

Yogi-Tea
20th Jul 2010, 7:38 PM
Couldn't finish until deadline but... better late than never, right?! I put so much work into it so I thought it would be nice to have a few pictures posted here to share it with you.

"The Old Hatter's House"

30 x 30 lot / Foundation 1

When the Hatter was still a young man he built this house for his wife and first born child. The Hatter and his wife passed away many years ago, however, their only daughter still lives in this place and keeps everything in good repair. Just recently she renovated the house and fixed the broken window shutters.

Freshly renovated as the house is now, it gives room for two adults. It's a luxury home with two balconys and a large and beautifully planted garden with swimming pool.

Rooms:
- bedroom
- livingroom w/ aquarium
- kitchen w/ dishwasher
- dining room
- bathroom w/ washing machine & dryer
- gym
- toilet
- workspace (entrance)
- wintergarden

The price for this lot is:

Furnished: 129.342 $
Unfurnished: 75.469 $

Yes, this is indeed a bit pricy but ...well, if you're rich this price is "peanuts", isn't iit? :giggler:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1583/hattershouse01.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5792/hattershouse02.jpg

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2528/hattershouse03l.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3131/hattershouse04.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1788/hattershouse05.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3775/hattershouse06.jpg

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/5863/hattershouse08.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9222/hattershouse07.jpg

My sim had a "play-test-quickie" in this house - she didn't want to use the front entrance when she moved in, however, she used it later when she came home from shopping. Everything works fine so I think it's playable. The vegetable garden is completely un-tested but it should work, too.

Cheats used to build the house:
- buydebug
- moveobjects

NO custom content (not even custom patterns) but A LOT of premium content from the Sims 3 Store is included in this build.

I hope you like the house. :)

RandomArt
20th Jul 2010, 7:58 PM

Haha, don't judge us off Miami, or Florida in general. They're crazy down there.

Ive
20th Jul 2010, 8:09 PM
Haha, don't judge us off Miami, or Florida in general. They're crazy down there.

Hehe I didn't mean it in a mean way (not saying you implying I was either!) It was just so odd. I have to say though I was in the erm, more dodgy parts of Miami as all hotels were sold out due to a hurricane and they had closed down the coast. I did get some 'white girl' comments and asked if they had polar bears and stuff in Europe :blink:

NecroVonK
20th Jul 2010, 9:16 PM
I'm really cursing not having internet at home right now. lol It'll be morning before I find out the round 1 scores probably.

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 9:51 PM
I think the only thing we can have collages of is the floorplan/layout. You can put it together in a collage or have each floor as its own image.

And I am glad that I am not the only one having issues with that forum! I hope it gets fixed soon.

Agreed. I asked the question in round 1:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost.php?p=3248375&postcount=113

Greenlea, Fyendiar and Kaospilot, thanks for the help. It's been so long since I had to take pics I just forgot :faceslap: Just wish I'd asked for help before submitting R1 now :rolleyes:

LadyAwesome
20th Jul 2010, 10:06 PM
Anyone else getting MEGA frustrated using base game.... I am so limited on what I can do and I think I only have 200 points left in my store lol eeek Ill get through it lol. Im going for a french / mediterrenean theme but I dont really think its working that way lol.

I think the key word in this is 'Ínspired' haha and plus I just woke up.... slept in and tanisha was late for school.... cut into my simming time haha

HystericalParoxysm
20th Jul 2010, 11:13 PM
Round 1 Scores are up!

Gogogogogo!

LINKYOMG! (http://www.modthesims.info/showpost.php?p=3253681&postcount=131)

gabrielorie
20th Jul 2010, 11:31 PM
Congratulations Flabaliki and armiel :beer: .I knew i wasn't gonna win,i just did it for the fun :D

heaven
20th Jul 2010, 11:36 PM
Quick question: I noticed a couple of people have 74's. How do y'all determine which takes a place if there is an [insert number here] way tie?

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 11:45 PM
Woohoo! Congrats to all :up:

Quick question: I noticed a couple of people have 74's. How do y'all determine which takes a place if there is an [insert number here] way tie?

If you look at the smaller numbers you might get a better idea. Three people got the same score as me but Mr Moo got five 8s and only two 7s whereas I got four 8s and three 7s so I came in behind him but in front of the other person who got three8s and four 7s :D

HystericalParoxysm
20th Jul 2010, 11:46 PM
heaven_sent - The numbers are rounded for each particular round, for display purposes (it would be even more awful to read than the comma separated garble if I had all the 7.568,1.75,etc. stuff in there like it displays unless I tell it to remove the decimal places and round it). For the actual totals for who wins after all four rounds, that'll be based on the actual complete non-rounded numbers... If there was a tie I'd just make it un-round them and see who had .3 higher or whatever. And if it was exactly even, they'd tie for that place.

fragglerocks
20th Jul 2010, 11:47 PM
Congratulations to the winders of Round One. I can't say that the scores surprised me, because the houses were very awesome!

If you scored low, pay attention to the winning houses, and get those judge comments when you can. You still have 3 rounds left to bring your total score way up!

Good luck on Round 2!

heaven
20th Jul 2010, 11:52 PM
heaven_sent - The numbers are rounded for each particular round, for display purposes (it would be even more awful to read than the comma separated garble if I had all the 7.568,1.75,etc. stuff in there like it displays unless I tell it to remove the decimal places and round it). For the actual totals for who wins after all four rounds, that'll be based on the actual complete non-rounded numbers... If there was a tie I'd just make it un-round them and see who had .3 higher or whatever. And if it was exactly even, they'd tie for that place.

Haha...awesome. Thank you. And yes, yes I can imagine it being worse to read. Took me some blinking and highlighting to find my scores and then some more to determine which number was what! But, that makes sense. I was just curious. If I wasn't I contestant I would LOVE to judge. I love looking at all the different stuff people come up with. :D

missroxor
20th Jul 2010, 11:53 PM
Can't help but wonder if HP just received 70 PMs asking for comments :lol:

heaven
20th Jul 2010, 11:54 PM

I know of at least one!!! This girl! :rofl:

fragglerocks
21st Jul 2010, 12:00 AM
Yup....waiting to see what changes I should make on my current submission. I really need to get away from this and do some laundry.

And poor HP...I do sympathize. I'm still reeling from how fast those scores got posted!

LifesLover
21st Jul 2010, 12:33 AM
Oh, wow, it's great to know the scores. ^_^ I'm actually quite surprised at my score. I would have thought it'd be less. I can definitely say that I'm going to ask for the comments I might've recieved. I'm not afraid of it not being sugar-coated.

LadyAwesome
21st Jul 2010, 12:33 AM
Yup....waiting to see what changes I should make on my current submission. I really need to get away from this and do some laundry.

And poor HP...I do sympathize. I'm still reeling from how fast those scores got posted!

Haha I had to do the same thing, Now I have all the relaxation to do my building!!

ForeverCamp
21st Jul 2010, 1:46 AM
Hehe I didn't mean it in a mean way (not saying you implying I was either!) It was just so odd. I have to say though I was in the erm, more dodgy parts of Miami as all hotels were sold out due to a hurricane and they had closed down the coast. I did get some 'white girl' comments and asked if they had polar bears and stuff in Europe :blink:

I live in Canada and I still get the 'igloos and dogsleds' questions. Especially since I work in a hotel. :rolleyes: Of course, most of those questions come from residents in states further south. Minnesota/North Dakota pretty much know we don't have igloos, because we're only like six hours' drive away. Even in the far North, not many frequently-inhabited igloos.

LadyAwesome
21st Jul 2010, 1:47 AM
I live in Canada and I still get the 'igloos and dogsleds' questions. Especially since I work in a hotel. :rolleyes: Of course, most of those questions come from residents in states further south. Minnesota/North Dakota pretty much know we don't have igloos, because we're only like six hours' drive away. Even in the far North, not many frequently-inhabited igloos.

I live at the bottom of New Zealand some people asked me if we hae penguins walking the streets lol

LifesLover
21st Jul 2010, 1:50 AM
And some people are just really stupid. I live in NC and you can bet that I've never once asked a foreigner about any stereotypes that probably don't exist.

ForeverCamp
21st Jul 2010, 1:57 AM
Well, we do say 'eh' a lot. And hockey is pretty much our football (either American or European, I hear soccer/football is THE major sport east of the Atlantic Ocean).

I'm just in love with the fact gators are part of an exterminator's job in Louisiana (okay, yeah, so Billy the Exterminator probably isn't the most accurate of shows). Man, our pests are geese. Gators are so much cooler.

Ive
21st Jul 2010, 1:58 AM
Haha. The ones I get the most being from Norway originally:

1. Are there reindeers, penguins and/or polar bears roaming the streets?
2. Do you have to dig your houses out in the winter? (thanks a lot Neutrogena Hand Cream advert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fHVSgidqLA)
3. Do you ski to work?
4. I bet you only eat fish eh?

Gamineannie
21st Jul 2010, 2:10 AM
This was my entry for round 1, too late, unfortunately!
In the swamps of Twinbrook, a dryad's tree was struck by lightning. The devastating hit decapitated the tree and tore out much of the heartwood. The dryad was flung into the nearby vegatation and taken to the local hospital. After recovering from her injuries, she returned to her homesite and discovered her tree had also survived - new growth was starting! So she took the fallen wood and built a new home.
Streetview
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/gamine55annie/Contest%201st%20Round/street3.jpg
Floorplans
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/gamine55annie/Contest%201st%20Round/floorplans.jpg
The kitchen
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/gamine55annie/Contest%201st%20Round/kitchen.jpg
Living room
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/gamine55annie/Contest%201st%20Round/living2.jpg
And bedroom
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/gamine55annie/Contest%201st%20Round/bedroom.jpg

The house has 2 bathrooms and uses 5 bits of CC - 2 of Huge Lunatic's windows, Victor_tor's log stairs, Custom roof tile pattern and one of the wood patterns used on doorframes and walls etc.
There is also a delightful heart-shaped pond, garden area, plant-covered parking pergola and many plants and flowers.
A somewhat illicit use of floor tiles was made to give the look of tree roots, since I do not have a rootlike groundcover pattern. These roots are mostly inaccessible due to the foliage around them, so do not add living space.
Hope you like this idea! Let's see what turns out from the almost-rans in Round 2. I took a peak at the Round 2 foundation and it looks quite intriguing. Good luck to the official contestants and good luck to the inofficial contestants!

LadyAwesome
21st Jul 2010, 2:15 AM
Gamineannie thats beautiful!!

Gamineannie
21st Jul 2010, 2:43 AM
'Thank you, Kaylarox! I had fun doing it and actually learned something new - how to make a stair landing on a foundation. Something I probably never use again, as it warps the walls. But that was the touch I needed to decapitate my treetop! The house may not be actually playable, though, as my camerahelper Sim had a routing failure in the kitchen, claiming she couldn't reach the bathroom on that floor. Poor thing, I almost ended up killing her, too - gave her zero free will, so she just stood around behind the house while I took pics - getting more tired, starving and needing the bathroom! By the time I noticed she had a bright red plumbob! At least she had no problems with the stairs!

heaven
21st Jul 2010, 2:48 AM
Gamineannie- I really like your story. It makes me want to start a town with a dryad!

Ive
21st Jul 2010, 2:51 AM
(I can't tell if it's just the angle or not but) after you are done making the stairs you can go up on the floor above the stairs and use the level terrain again from one corner of the roof that's the level it's supposed to be and over the warped top that sticks up. The walls will still be warped in the middle but then you get a flat roof atleast :)

Please ignore this if I'm just totally blind and the roof goes pointy there!

Gamineannie
21st Jul 2010, 3:17 AM
Kaospilot, yes I saw that in the tutorial, that you can straighten out the top floor, but I wanted the broken tree look for this one, so left the stairhouse in the trunk warped after adding the number of stories I wanted. If I could have gotten a better shot of the top, you could see the broken tree look better. Another thing I noticed as I was finishinig the pics, was that the water level appeared to be rising on the lower floor, inspite of the foundation. Never built in the Twinbrook swamp before! Now I see why there are four perfectly good swamp shacks just standing empty there! The place makes for scenic pictures, but the flooding is just too crass!

LifesLover
21st Jul 2010, 3:50 AM
Your house is very nice. It's too bad that it couldn't get in. I like how different it is.

BGatot
21st Jul 2010, 5:10 AM
Hi! I'm still a bit confused about the contest rules, now that the score for the first entry is in. I think I got the third lowest score! :(

Anyway, are we supposed to declare whether or not we are using CCs, and if not declared, it's assumed we used the maximum allowed? I don't think I used any for my first entry but got 1 for the CC bonus. I'm not disputing it, BTW, what's in the past is in the past. I might've accidentally used CCs anyhow, it's hard to find out if it's CCs or not, sometimes it's labeled as such, and sometimes it's not! It's especially true of patterns, as there's no text description of it. For stuffs I can usually check the description, if it's long and elaborate chances are it's from EA! :P

Also, are we supposed to upload our contest entry? Should we?

Thanks!

seraphime
21st Jul 2010, 5:20 AM
BGatot the CC rules still hold the same.. say you use a fence that is CC then that counts as 1 even if you use it over and over, if you use a CC kitchen table along with using the fence thats 2 if you add the matching CC chairs thats 3 and so on. Even if you use those items over and over they only get counted that one time the first time you use them. At least thats my understanding.

No CC: 20 points
1 piece: 10 points
2: 9
3: 8
4: 7
5: 6
6: 5
7: 4
8: 3
9: 2
10: 1

I looked at your first entry and I didnt notice any CC other than Store Content but which is allowed and not counted towards the CC bonus points + or -. I dont really use tons of CC in my game so I dont have a good eye for it. And when it comes to patterns I'm even more lost. Maybe somebody else could look and give you a better reason why its 1. :)

anyway hope that helps

BGatot
21st Jul 2010, 5:29 AM
Heh, I usually the other way around. I'm addicted to custom contents! :) That's why it's hard for me to publish any of my lot, because it tend to be rejected because of CCs! And I don't know if it's my game installation or something, CCs are not always labeled correctly, so it's so easy to accidentally include some. Anyway, hopefully my luck's better for the second round... :lol:

HarlequinnRomance
21st Jul 2010, 5:31 AM
Eh,there were no houses I'd download for my personal neighborhood. Some of them were nice,but there were none I truly loved. Then again I didn't enter the contest and I'm not a judge so my opinion doesn't really matter. I just didn't like the houses that had a really bright or colorful outside. Like one had this bright blue wallpaper on the outside. Another had this bright orange carpet when the rest of the house was white or pale.

seraphime
21st Jul 2010, 5:32 AM

I know I'm a nosey person :rofl: HP is going to wake up with a PM box full

LifesLover
21st Jul 2010, 5:32 AM
Heh, I usually the other way around. I'm addicted to custom contents! :) That's why it's hard for me to publish any of my lot, because it tend to be rejected because of CCs! And I don't know if it's my game installation or something, CCs are not always labeled correctly, so it's so easy to accidentally include some!

Well, it's not neccessarily that the judges thought that you had CC in your post through your pictures, it's that you didn't specify whether you had any or not when you entered with your house.

HP specifically said numerous times, I believe, that if you did not say whether you used any or no CC when you posted your house that it would be assumed that you used all of the spots you were allowed.

So, if you didn't say whether or not you had CC in your house, then they automatically deducted the points from your score. If you did and they did it by mistake, then point it out to HP and he/she will correct it. It's happened to a few others.

Eh,there were no houses I'd download for my personal neighborhood. Some of them were nice,but there were none I truly loved. Then again I didn't enter the contest and I'm not a judge so my opinion doesn't really matter. I just didn't like the houses that had a really bright or colorful outside. Like one had this bright blue wallpaper on the outside. Another had this bright orange carpet when the rest of the house was white or pale.

Yeah, I felt the same way. There were some great houses, but a lot of them were modern, and I'm not a fan of modern. Heck, I wouldn't play my house that I built, but that's mostly because it's not actually playable in places.

LadyAwesome
21st Jul 2010, 5:42 AM
Im just trying to think up a something for outside!!! done the inside today yay!!! well the main draft lol

.......remember to type n custom content....... lol oh I could die!!
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy187/klarox/foundation%20comp/Foundation2/2bedroomv1.jpg
A LA Bedroom lol

armiel
21st Jul 2010, 7:09 AM
Kaospilot

I luuuuuuv your house for the R2!!!!
(The one you posted a collage earlier in this thread)

Make the interior as fine as the exterior, and I bet you'll be at the top scores on R2 :D

alexpilgrim
21st Jul 2010, 7:13 AM
Duh, didn't make it on time, and realized I would probably miss the 4th round anyway because I'll be on holidays in some computer-less paradise... but I thought I'd show what I was up to, though I didn't get to decorate the house.

I even had a little story for this project:

"Built by John B. Parker III, though relatively modest is size and style it was a stylish summer retreat, where Lady Edna (née Woodfield) entertained in her "Chinoiserie" dining room and in the living room inspired by their visit to Versailles during their honeymoon in Europe. Their youngest daughter, Geneviève "Ginny" Parker-Dixon moved into the house after her husband died during the war. One the most celebrated débutantes of her time, Ginny fell into mental illness and in her last days lived in the house surrounded by dozens of cats, in a state of near abandon. The house was further damaged by a fire that started in what was known as the "pink room", just right of the main entrance.

After years of decay the house was inherited by Lauren Parker, a great-niece of Ginny. Together with her fiancé architect Robert Newman they undertook the restoration of the house wherever it was possible, and added a modern extension to the the ground floor where it was damaged beyond repair. Tough most of the original furniture was sold or lost a few pieces could still be saved, and were integrated in the modern decoration of the house"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/alexpilgrim/Sims3/Parker1_front.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/alexpilgrim/Sims3/Parker2_back.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/alexpilgrim/Sims3/Parker3_lower.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/alexpilgrim/Sims3/Parker4_up.jpg

Well, you see, I haven't even got to decorating the top floor... :rolleyes:

Well, hope you like it in any case :)

HarlequinnRomance
21st Jul 2010, 7:14 AM
Now what Kayla made on the inside I like,I'd play that. I like that style,not the modern stuff in the contest. i think half of it was modern and half cabin/cottage

LadyAwesome
21st Jul 2010, 7:40 AM
Why thank you. I wouldnt play it, I'm just going out of my comfort zone, because it is so easy to get stuck in one!!

BGatot
21st Jul 2010, 1:14 PM
I love what Kaospilot did with the roof. Very creative!

<ranting mode on>

Anyway, I tried to update my Sims 3 to the latest patch yesterday, and the update failed. The game won't work anymore, so I had to reinstall the whole shebang. What a PITA. At least now my game is 100% current. The strange thing is, now some of my store items don't show up anymore, including many that I used in my entry! It seems to install fine, just did not show up in game. And I got the "Missing Object Warning" message. Same thing with my CCs. Even stranger, what show up and not show up seems random, there's even one set with 4 items on it, only 3 show up!

Playing without those missing contents made me noticed how much I rely on those store objects (and CCs for non-contest houses), and how limited (and mediocre!) the standard selections are. EA is being very stingy with Sims 3! It seems that they intentionally do this so that people would shop at their store. I mean, I understand that they don't put everything in game so people would buy stuff from their store, but come on! It's wholly inadequate, especially the decorations selection, and lights. Furnitures are OK, though, enough usable stuffs. I guess I'm just addicted to custom contents! :D

Gamineannie
21st Jul 2010, 2:05 PM
BGatot, sorry to hear about your game troubles. I'm on about my tenth installation now, so I know how irritating it can get. Let me share this : before an uninstall/reinstall I move my downloads file, mods folder, library, saves and dcbackup folders to a temporary folder, then copy them back in after the install is done. Then when I launch the launcher all the Sims3Packs are ready for installation and I don't have to redownload from the store. With the amount of store content I have meanwhile that saves a LOT of time. Anyway hope your game stays healthy for a while!

Yogi-Tea
21st Jul 2010, 2:24 PM
Wow, this contest is so exciting to watch. I think all the contestent - and (of course) the judges, too - did a great job, so far. Thank you for posting the link to the scores for round 1 so quickly, HP! :up:

Ive
21st Jul 2010, 3:57 PM
armiel & BGatot - Thank you :)

LifesLover
21st Jul 2010, 4:03 PM
Am I, like, the only one who doesn't actually care about CC in TS3? I don't find what EA does to be all that sub-standard, and with the CAST, I can create pretty much anything I can think of. And besides, shouldn't using no CC be a challenge? What fun would it be to do this contest and use CC?

Ive
21st Jul 2010, 4:09 PM
I only CC I use for my game is either mod's to fix minor annoyances, patterns or hairstyles/clothes. Furniture and other items usually look out of place from original sims ones. They either got too little detail or too much. It's hard to explain but I'm sure it's understandable what I'm saying. The quality of them stands out too much (not in all cases, i've seen some amazing CC created)

When I played TS1 and started downloading CC it was like an addiction and instead of playing I would just fit the houses and then go hunting for more cool CC. So better not get into that again :blink: Besides I had a lot of troubles with bad CC then so I have learnt my lesson and pretty much just stay away from most of it now!

easypeaze
21st Jul 2010, 4:15 PM
Just wanted to say a quick congrats to the top scorers of Round 1!
Kaospilot-Agreeing with armiel and BGatot! Your house looks amazing.

heaven
21st Jul 2010, 4:19 PM
I download CC (lots of it) but when this contest started I didn't have any because I still wasn't really playing. I was having adjustment issues. Teehee. After the first build, I did download some stuff, mostly mods and plants (I hate the lack of plants in the game) but when I build for the contest, I take the whole packages file out so I won't even be tempted. I would LOVE to use some of the stuff, mostly decorative, just to add some oomph. I've got some potting soil and a watering can and stuff that would look really cute with my garden but it's not worth losing that bonus. 10 points is a lot to lose just for 1 piece of CC! Now, if I had build content, that might be a different story. I HATE the fact that maxis doesn't have matching windows/doors!!! If I knew how to mesh and convert and all that, I would be Maxis Matching up a storm with windows and doors and arches.

NecroVonK
21st Jul 2010, 4:21 PM
I got so irritated last night when I was building. I had a wall section with 2 windows and a door in between them. I used CAST to make them match. Put the SAME wood pattern on it as the windows. And be damned if the door didn't show up darker for some reason. I wound up switching to a different door that would match up lol

heaven
21st Jul 2010, 4:32 PM
Yeah, sometimes it does that. Just use the little circle pie color chart thingy (no idea what it is actually called to lighten it up. This usually works for me or gets them close enough that it's not noticeable.

By the way, does anyone else find themselves going back and changing things and editing pictures? I swear, I look at the pictures I have and decide they are not good enough so I go in, take more, and edit my post. Then decide I don't like those and either go back to what I originally had or take yet even more pictures. I really, really, really want a higher presentation score this time.

Ive
21st Jul 2010, 4:38 PM
Thanks easypeaze :) (somehow my spell checker doesn't correct your name, heh)

I hate it when matching patterns look different on other items. I guess it's just unavoidable but again I'm no expert in creating items! Also the lack of matching doors/windows is really annoying. Especially as some are shorter than others etc and it just looks out of place if you want to place window - door - window. Agreed on the lack of plants :(

I haven't gotten to taking pictures yet but when I leave it for some hours and come back I see loads of things I can change. But it's like that with all sorts of work.. hence why I'm waiting to submit it as I probably would edit my entry 40 times and still not be happy (only stopped by the deadline being reached)

LifesLover
21st Jul 2010, 4:39 PM
I only CC I use for my game is either mod's to fix minor annoyances, patterns or hairstyles/clothes. Furniture and other items usually look out of place from original sims ones. They either got too little detail or too much. It's hard to explain but I'm sure it's understandable what I'm saying. The quality of them stands out too much (not in all cases, i've seen some amazing CC created)

When I played TS1 and started downloading CC it was like an addiction and instead of playing I would just fit the houses and then go hunting for more cool CC. So better not get into that again :blink: Besides I had a lot of troubles with bad CC then so I have learnt my lesson and pretty much just stay away from most of it now!

Yeah, I mostly have tons of CC for hair and clothes and fixes to what I don't like or want to change within the game, but I've never really cared about build or buy CC. Some of it's cool, like one CC that was table place mats and silverware, but for the most part, I just keep to EA.

sandymdh
21st Jul 2010, 4:39 PM
I'm getting really coordinated with that camera mode now - it's been a learning curve - I only just found out how to zoom out of the room without going through the wall today lol- much better! I wrote a little story last time and didn't get a great presentation score so will have to rethink my approach this time.

heaven
21st Jul 2010, 4:46 PM
I wrote a story too and HP did comment on this...sometimes the story works with the house, sometimes not. It's hard to tell if your story will work or not I guess. I'm hoping that mine is better this time around. I make up the story in my head when I am creating because it helps me decide how to decorate and what to do with the lot. I have to have a purpose and I figure that sharing it helps people understand where I came from and why my house looks as it does.

And Kaospilot, I KNOW I saw your house and enjoyed it but I was trying to go back and relook at it (I think I can remember which it was) but can't find it! Did you edit the post to remove the pictures or delete the post or am I just blind? My vision is like 20/1000 or something awful like that, thank God for glasses, but I have a bad habit of scrolling quickly when I think I know what I am looking for. :faceslap:

And I edited my pictures again once I messed with my little garden. My landscaping skills are definitely not up to par. I think I might take a break and head back to my little legacy attempt (first time at that) and, after awhile, go and give my lot a peek again and see if I am still happy.

Ive
21st Jul 2010, 4:52 PM
Yea I was tidying up my server and managed to delete the picture without noticing. So I edited the post :)

It definitely helps with a story. I don't think you can give a house a proper charm or personality if you don't know what sort of people is going to live there. And it also helps other people understand as you say.

heaven
21st Jul 2010, 4:55 PM
Okay...good. At least I know I am not crazy now. :giggler: As for my story, I am considering leaving out the blurbs before each picture and just leaving the top part. Maybe it's too much.

LifesLover
21st Jul 2010, 5:35 PM
Well, I only did the top part, and I did get a comment that said that they liked my story and presentation, but that the house had a bulky exterior and a cluttered interior, which really detracted from my score.

Honestly, so long as you're creative, it shouldn't matter if you do just the top or continue on with the story in between the pictures.

Lethe_s
21st Jul 2010, 6:12 PM
Hi guys,

not exactly in the challenge, cause I've pretty much been drafted as a judge, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun trying to do weird things to foundations.
So here is, for no reason but that I really like it, my entry for Foundation 2. I call it 'the dig' or 'oh look, I learnt how to use constrainfloor elevation!'.

The Dig

This is the life's work of Professor Harvey Ingelwasser. After studying some ancient scripts, he became convinced that on the lot of Twinbrook Road 14, a treasure lies.
So far he's found an ancient roman villa, but when that didn't garner more than a few statues and some broken vases, his funding dried up. With it, his beautiful assistant Anna left to work for the much more respected Professor Hardwood.
To save on expenses, Professor Ingelwasser has taken to living on the dig site.

Street view
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/21591_100721130503Screenshot-67.jpg

Top view (I probably cheated by putting a pool on that foundation, but no one's grading me, so nyeh :p )
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/21592_100721130527Screenshot-65.jpg

The (small) bedroom
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/21593_100721130633Screenshot-68.jpg

The (even smaller) kitchen (no one said this was a fun place to live in)
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/21594_100721130713Screenshot-69.jpg

The let's-call-this-the-living-room
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/21595_100721130748Screenshot-73.jpg

The ramblings of a man obsessed
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/21596_100721130828Screenshot-72.jpg

I do hope those were there before he moved in (has anyone seen Hardwood lately?)
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/21597_100721130915Screenshot-76.jpg

Not everything has been properly dug out yet. The professor isn't a very athletic man
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/21598_100721131018Screenshot-71.jpg

another kitchen
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/21600_100721131413Screenshot-75.jpg

Bonus cart!
http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/21599_100721131101Screenshot-77.jpg

heaven
21st Jul 2010, 6:28 PM
That's awesome Lethe_s! And I am kind of jealous of your judge status! I think it would be almost as fun as building!

easypeaze
21st Jul 2010, 6:30 PM
Holy crap! Lethe S...I love it. I so want it! I need to get more creative and really think outside the box. Your house Rocks. I just keep staring at the pics. Will it be available for download?

armiel
21st Jul 2010, 6:52 PM
WTG Lethe :D

That house is like.... amazing!

I would have never ever thought of making that foundation into a dig site :)

GiveTheNineARide
21st Jul 2010, 7:22 PM
It really would have been a stretch for me to have qualified for this contest even with the original timeframe. But none the less I had a lot of fun building this house.

I additionally challenged myself by not using any custom content and building a traditional style house. I normally build contemporary houses with an occasional bungalow.

Well, on to the house. This is a large family sized home with 4 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths.

The main floor has a entry way, livingroom, diningroom, kitchen, den, hobby room, study nook and a powder room. Upstairs are the master bedroom with an ensuite bath, three other bedrooms and a full size bathroom with a washer and dryer.

The livingroom has seating for seven a stereo and a bookshelf. The diningroom seats eight and has a china cabinet. The kitchen has the normal appliances plus a dishwasher. In the den there is seating for five with a TV, phone and game system. The hobby room has a drafting table, but could easily be furnished with an inventors bench or used for sculpting, depending what your Sims are into. At the bottom of the split level stairs is a study nook with a chair, desk and laptop computer.

At the top of the stairs is the master suite with a double bed and dresser. Down the hall are the three other bedrooms and the bath/laundry room. One of the extra bedrooms is furnished and decorated for a baby or toddler, one for a child with a single bed and one for a teen, also with a single bed. All the bedrooms except the nursery have laundry hampers. The child and teen bedrooms have a dresser and desk besides the bed. The teen room also has a bookshelf and a computer. The child's room is decorated in an outerspace theme and the teen's room in a Nascar type racing theme.

In the yard is some nice landscaping, with a shady bench for relaxing, a grill and picnic table, Jungle Gym and a telescope. I also added an attached one car garage and parking for another vehicle in the driveway.

Well, now onto the pics . . .

The street view.
http://i27.tinypic.com/a29q9w.jpg
The main floor layout.
http://i26.tinypic.com/oaci78.jpg
The upper floor layout.
http://i27.tinypic.com/ohtobp.jpg
The livingroom.
http://i28.tinypic.com/2vv84me.jpg
The kitchen.
http://i28.tinypic.com/2m3jyu0.jpg
The master bedroom.
http://i27.tinypic.com/24ytezr.jpg
And the bonus pics.
The diningroom.
http://i32.tinypic.com/j9wtc6.jpg
The sideyard.
http://i30.tinypic.com/2mqnvgi.jpg
The backyard.
http://i28.tinypic.com/alhf7l.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the tour!

Good Luck to all the contestants and happy Simming to all!

LadyAwesome
21st Jul 2010, 10:22 PM
I love how when I wake up there been so much been going on!!! Everyone must be asleep when Im awake hahaha..

Thanks Lethe that is cool how your helping us with ideas .... Im going to run out and get WA today I think hahaha
I think after this contests Im going to be a building addict haha..

And one question... with all my saved games still be on when I add the expansion?

feldynn
21st Jul 2010, 10:26 PM
Wow Lethe_s! I think it's probably a good thing you got drafted as a judge, because that lot totally puts to shame my R2 entry that I'm working on right now :P. In all seriousness though that's an awesome looking lot, never mind "I learnt to CFE" I think you mastered it with that wall work! I hope once the contest is done that you'll upload it, would make an awesome addition to any regular town and especially the Al Simhara WA one (could even have a tomb built under it too) :).

HystericalParoxysm
21st Jul 2010, 10:40 PM
GiveTheNineARide - I -love- that lot. The whole darkdarkgrey and white siding and the roofing and the warm interior and eeeeee, even a red front door and white picket fence... I want to move in there in real life.

GiveTheNineARide
21st Jul 2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks HP :)

Ive
21st Jul 2010, 11:05 PM
I love that red front door too! Whole house is so.. homely? I think that's a word. Too bad you couldn't make it to the contest :)

GiveTheNineARide
21st Jul 2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks Kaospilot. I think homey is the word your looking for, I hope. :lol: I build way to slow for this contest. :turtle:

I'm going to try my hand at all the foundations. That 2nd foundation is pretty challenging. I just got started with that one. Going modern with that one. If any turn out good enough I'll upload them. Thanks again!

Thranduil Oropherion
21st Jul 2010, 11:26 PM
Holy crap! Lethe S...I love it. I so want it! I need to get more creative and really think outside the box. Your house Rocks. I just keep staring at the pics. Will it be available for download?

Wow I agree! It's awesome! But it's scary too .. is that where all the bad peoples go? *shudder* .. Absolutely love it!

easypeaze
22nd Jul 2010, 12:13 AM
GiveTheNineARide-Love your house! I painted my real door a nice pretty red like that. You actually gave me an idea about what color to paint my porch posts, right now they are like a celery green(I didn't pick that color).