Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Mar 2017 at 5:43 AM
Default How Much Custom Content is Too Much?
I have almost 200 custom content files in my folder and have not experienced lag. But I am wondering, for the future, how many files do you have to have in order for the game to lag?
Thank you for your time and help.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#3 Old 30th Mar 2017 at 9:34 AM
When your computer gets slow, your Sims start flickering and your game is paused more than it runs, then you might have too much

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Field Researcher
#4 Old 30th Mar 2017 at 10:07 AM
The answer is never too much
There is way too much lovely stuff out there!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Mar 2017 at 8:33 PM
Thank you, nitromon. And I agree with you, sweetdevil and Baiaana.
Instructor
#6 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 1:56 AM
There's not such a thing as "too much custom content"

I need a cigarette
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 11:12 PM
Only if it slows down and crashes. However, I have a 5 year old computer and it runs like I just booted it up for the very first time.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 4:28 AM
I'm thinking i have too much cc clothing, because it takes 15 mins just to change my sim's everyday clothing. That doesn't mean i'm gonna remove anything though.
Scholar
#9 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 10:18 PM
I was having extreme lag in CAS, but when I finally capped the frame rate, it started behaving much better. Still lags, just not to the point that I hate to change my sims' clothes anymore.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
I was having extreme lag in CAS, but when I finally capped the frame rate, it started behaving much better. Still lags, just not to the point that I hate to change my sims' clothes anymore.

How do you exactly, cap the frame rate? I tried using fps limiter a while back but had no luck, since I've read that it doesn't work on patch 1.69 anymore. I've tried tweaking my Nvidia graphics settings, but when I run the game the frame rates are still over 100.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 9:28 PM
You can never have too much. However, after years of searching for and downloading CC, I've finally had it. I'm don with CC. And I'm just going to stick with EA/Store content from now on. No more CC for me. It's been an overwhelming task to keep up with so much CC in my game, I couldn't even find/use them all. At least I'd be able to find and use all of the Store content.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 9:48 PM
If your game doesnt randomly crash at the worst possible times, you dont have enough CC

The Receptacle still lives!
Inventor
#13 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 10:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I don't think it is as much a how much you have as what you have. Some ccs are dodgy and buggy. The more cc you have, the more chances you will have a bad one that will screw your game. I hate tracking down bad mods/ccs. Just keep them organized and remember to test them before moving them to your general population.

I can assure, after thoroughly testing many times, the AMOUNT of packages files you have DOES affect your game's performance. Not the size (GBs) but the amount of files. 200 is not that many, but when you have 5000 packages files then your game is going to experience some lag. The best thing you can do is to MERGE package files into bigger files (between 250-998 MBs) so as to keep 150 or less package files in your mods folder. The difference is night and day when you have many files. Loading times are reduced, and the game is more responsive overall.
Theorist
#14 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 12:56 AM
A lot of my packages are merged, but I don't merge mods, skins, and a few other files like sliders. Things go wrong with this game from time to time, but I have over 500 package files (including the ones that are merged) and my game plays fine most of the time. Total CC is 2.99 GB, but I also have a ton of Store content installed through the launcher.

I have an i7 6700K CPU with 16 GB RAM and a NVIDIA 1070 Video card. I think people probably need to experiment with their CC to find the sweet spot that works for their PC.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Test Subject
#15 Old 15th Oct 2017 at 12:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ComputerTurtle
I have almost 200 custom content files in my folder and have not experienced lag. But I am wondering, for the future, how many files do you have to have in order for the game to lag?
Thank you for your time and help.

I have over 4,000 pieces of cc and the game runs fine. How much you can have probably depends on how good your computer is. :3
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 3:24 AM
I'm not sure. Even with my new computer I worry about my custom content endlessly. I've spent the last 2 or 3 nights trying to uninstall old stuff / add new stuff I've bookmarked, instead of actually playing the game! How much sense does that make? I use CCMagic to organize the files (by expansion), and list where I got everything and what it does in a text document. Right now I have 321 files installed in my game; but 96 files have been disabled which means only 225 files are enabled (225mb).

Even still, I have trouble with a few items. Basically everything NraaS and mods that fix problem with the game are always mandatory. Never will get rid of the essentials. But then I have random accessories/hair/beards that I've never used but keep around because I think some day I "might use". And other ones I've used in the past that I feel I should keep in the game to maintain ghosts' appearances or keep in the family storage (ie: a long-dead Sim's robot arm or Ghost-buster car). And then there's all the "very similar" items that I can't disable without a lot of testing to see what's actually being used (ie: facial piercings, beards, etc). And then there's the ? mods that I have had installed for ages but can't figure out a way to test if they actually work or not (ie: More frequent burglars, neighbours ask Sims to move in, more efficient butlers, disable this or that autonomous action).

In summary: Custom content is very confusing. And needs to be organized. And the stuff on this website is almost always better than stuff you buy on the Sims Store.

Check out my Legacy Challenge:
Chapter 41: Do Babies Eat Sand?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 4:19 PM
Mod priority for me:

1.) Game-fixing mods + NRaas
2.) Game-tuning mods
3.) New gameplay objects/mods
4.) CAS content to fill in gaps in styles (i.e. certain hairs)
5.) All other content (i.e new clothing, furniture)

My idea is that the base content needs to be working before you start to add on more content. On top of that, content that adds new gameplay is infinitely more preferable than content that simply duplicates other content in terms of function (around 75% of the time, CASt will make things work "well enough").

CAS is an exception of course, since your sims are the thing you'll be focusing on nearly at all times, and so a bit of style doesn't hurt there.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 5:04 PM
I held off on using things that are stylistically out of line with the default game for a long time, like CC cars or most CC furniture, but ultimately I found the need for diversity too great. So while I'm very hesitant to use non-Maxis Match clothing, I don't mind seeing a Fresh Prince car next to an EA taxi.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 7:42 PM
CC you don't use is too much.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
CC you don't use is too much.

And MAN do I have a lot of that. One of these days I'll get around to purging some of my CC folder.....probably....maybe...not likely.

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#21 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 8:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
And MAN do I have a lot of that. One of these days I'll get around to purging some of my CC folder.....probably....maybe...not likely.

I am in the same boat. I have most sorted into modern, traditional, holiday, whatever and probably will never go through it and I have WAY too much.
Test Subject
#22 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 12:50 PM Last edited by SimOllieTS3 : 24th Oct 2017 at 10:45 AM.
When you have very similar (if not identical) items from different creators, because they belonged to some sets. Happened to me a lot . Now I make sure to check each item in a set, and pick only the ones I really like. So, I can end up downloading only 2-3 items out of a huge 16-piece set.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 5:41 PM
Default Me, when I find custom Content
I always like finding new CC for my game.