Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 3:21 AM
Default Can someone help me with this hair?
I downloaded a hair for TS4 and tried to use with one of my sims. But every time I zoom out, the hair disappears and my sim becomes bold; when I zoom in, the hair comes back to normal. I made a research to fix this problem, and apparently, it's with something called LOD. But I don't know how to fix it, can someone help me?

Sorry for the bad English :/
Screenshots
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 1:21 PM
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 4:35 PM
LOD stands for Level Of Detail. In order to increase efficiency and run faster, the game uses a less detailed mesh with fewer triangles when the sim is zoomed out. In Sims 4 there are four LODs: LOD0 (the most detail, used in CAS and close up), LOD1 (zoomed out a little), LOD2 (zoomed out more), and LOD3 (zoomed out very distant). You need to make meshes for LOD1, LOD2, and LOD3 and import them to your package. If you're using Blender it has a Decimate tool for this purpose. For each LOD you should reduce the faces by about half, so use a ratio of about .5 to .6.

If you use Milkshape, here's a tutorial on how to decimate a mesh: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3408227

It's best to do all four levels, but some people just make two and use one for LOD0 and LOD1, and the decimated one for LOD2 and LOD3.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 4:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
LOD stands for Level Of Detail. In order to increase efficiency and run faster, the game uses a less detailed mesh with fewer triangles when the sim is zoomed out. In Sims 4 there are four LODs: LOD0 (the most detail, used in CAS and close up), LOD1 (zoomed out a little), LOD2 (zoomed out more), and LOD3 (zoomed out very distant). You need to make meshes for LOD1, LOD2, and LOD3 and import them to your package. If you're using Blender it has a Decimate tool for this purpose. For each LOD you should reduce the faces by about half, so use a ratio of about .5 to .6.

If you use Milkshape, here's a tutorial on how to decimate a mesh: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3408227

It's best to do all four levels, but some people just make two and use one for LOD0 and LOD1, and the decimated one for LOD2 and LOD3.

And how do I do that with Blender? Could you please tell me step by step?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#5 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 4:51 PM
I don't use Blender myself but here's a tutorial: http://sims4studio.com/thread/1031/...mesh-poly-count

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 6:02 PM
I don't use Blender myself but here's a tutorial: http://sims4studio.com/thread/1031/...mesh-poly-count

It doesn't work. I would be grateful if you could fix it for me.
I've been looking for a way to solve it since yesterday, but nothing works
Sorry to bug you again about this, but I really love this hair and I want to use it
Attached files:
File Type: rar  [Simmer-MJ]Nathan_hair.rar (121.8 KB, 13 downloads) - View custom content
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#7 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 9:21 PM
What specifically didn't work? If you describe what you did and what happened, maybe I can help.

This forum is meant to help modders learn and show them how to resolve problems themselves, not to fix mods for them. In any case, I can't look at your package until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 2:53 AM
What specifically didn't work? If you describe what you did and what happened, maybe I can help.

This forum is meant to help modders learn and show them how to resolve problems themselves, not to fix mods for them. In any case, I can't look at your package until Tuesday or Wednesday.

I do every step correctly, but when I try to import the .blend to Sims 4 Studio, it says "loading" and nothing happens.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#9 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 3:33 AM
Since the problem is happening while using Sims 4 Studio, you need to ask for help in the Studio forums. If you upload your .blend over there they should be able to tell you what the problem is.