Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Oct 2017 at 9:22 PM
Default Terrain textures with normals/speculars?
Here's something that just aroused my interest - terrain textures. I've always felt that the worlds of TS3, particularly the EA ones, look a bit flat and dead. I don't like looking at the ground. Now most things in TS3 have relatively good-looking normal maps and speculars. When used well these can greatly enhance the look of surfaces or objects. But again, the terrain is still flat and dead.

So obviousy I'm compelled to ask if there is a way to fix that. I noticed the new fan-made version of TS1 has terrain with some dimension to it, by means of what appears to be some sort of displacement mapping or a shader.
So is it possible to add new texture maps to ground/terrain textures, using S3PE?

Thanks

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Oct 2017 at 9:30 PM
Would probably involve editing the actual engine itself or a reshade-like tool.

I mean, there aren't any normal, displacement or specular maps on any terrain paints themselves.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Oct 2017 at 9:51 PM
Exactly, but can't those textures be created and assigned be in the same way you can add a texture to any object that does not have one?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Site Helper
#4 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 12:38 AM
I never tried Texture Tweaker on a Terrain paint...
I suppose the worst that could happen is that your working package won't open. Or that it ends up looking exactly the same when you get it into the game.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
dodgy builder
#5 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 1:54 PM
You can achieve the same by using different textures on the the same patch of ground. Like having 2 different regular greens and then add a flowery or another special kind of green.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 1:57 PM
No, you can't. That's not the same thing.

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#8 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 2:17 PM
I have this picture of a brothel green on my mind.

I don't know how having bump maps would work for a feature you actually walk on considering it's fake. A displacement map actually change geometry and might work better, but is heavy on the machines.

Mixing colors is a good compromize. I would rather prefer that than having a bump map scratch my character on the cheek.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I don't know how having bump maps would work for a feature you actually walk on considering it's fake. A displacement map actually change geometry and might work better, but is heavy on the machines.

Same way bump maps work for every other object or piece of clothing your Sims touch, Volvenom. A displacement map is not possible in the TS3 engine.

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#10 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Same way bump maps work for every other object or piece of clothing your Sims touch, Volvenom. A displacement map is not possible in the TS3 engine.

My comment was a bit on the side. Do you make any worlds yourself. Have you found a spot to put it in?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 5:14 PM
No, I haven't been able to get CAW to work on my last 2 PCs. Adding texture maps to ground textures shouldn't require CAW, however.

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#12 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 8:19 PM
When it comes to making objects there is spots to put the maps in. I guess you just need the tools for it on ground textures. I haven't seen any.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 8:38 PM
Spots? Irrelevant with S3PE. You bring your own.

insert signature here