Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 11:54 PM
Active Sims Autonomously Visiting Lots?
Do active sims ever autonomously visit lots?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 1:17 AM Last edited by lindali365 : 23rd Mar 2015 at 1:30 AM.
I've never had that happen with any of my active Sims. There is a setting in NRaas Story Progression (I believe it's SP) that will allow pushes for active Sims. I think that will push them somewhat to visit community lots.

I'm not in an active game right now, I'll update this later when I open a game (unless someone beats me to it).

ETA: Just looked it up on the NRaas wiki. The default 0 should be increased to allow for the actives to be pushed.

◦Push Actives To Visit Lots◾Defines the percent chance of an active sim being pushed to visit a community lot of their choosing
◾Default: 0
◾Module: Extra StoryProgression

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryPr...on+Interactions
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 1:38 AM
Thanks for the info!

I think it definitely helps with making gameplay more interesting since you won't be the ones deciding where your sims will go.
Instructor
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 1:42 AM
You're welcome! I agree with you, it would be most interesting to see what they do on their own. I noticed that info just recently but I haven't yet changed my settings to allow for it, but I'll do it when I get back in game again.
Instructor
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 2:35 AM
once I added a papparazzi to my household through master controller, the papparazzi autonomously visited lots and did papparazzey things, it was fun

My simblr AsdSims
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th May 2015 at 1:31 AM
So I've tried this mod and it doesn't seem to actively push sims out to lots : /
Instructor
#8 Old 6th May 2015 at 3:14 AM Last edited by lindali365 : 6th May 2015 at 8:38 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
So I've tried this mod and it doesn't seem to actively push sims out to lots : /

This is a link to a NRaas chatterbox conversation. Within it is more information on having active sims pushed to visit community lots. Suggestions include limiting the number of skill objects on their home lot, not queuing up things for them to do (that would take priority over them doing things themselves), and letting the sims idle. You would have to allow them to be pushed and the percentage mentioned in this exchange was 100%.

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/share/v...eplyId=81625560

Path (with Story Progression and Extra Story Progression installed). I do this using City Hall:
NRaas > Story Progression > General Options > Options: Sims > Push Actives to Visit Lots > Enter a percent chance (default is 0). Accept.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th May 2015 at 3:08 AM
i wonder if there's any way to separate this from the story progression mod, for people who don't want the whole thing and the lag on older computers..
Forum Resident
#10 Old 9th May 2015 at 1:26 AM
I can confirm that active sims will be pushed to visit lots with Nraas Story Progression installed. However, if they are not visiting lots as often as you'd like, or not at all, you may need to up the chance that it happens in the SP settings. Can't remember offhand the direct path you'd go to, but I think it's Nraas > Story Progression > General > Sims > Push Actives to Visit Lots. The default percentage is set to 0. I set mine to 10%, which allows my Sim a small chance of leaving her house once in a while. I also have a skill push enabled, so she'll be pushed now and then to, say, go repair a friend's computer, which also helps get her out of the house.

Edit: Just saw that lindali365 posted something similar above, rendering my post pretty irrelevant. Whoops! Helps to actually read instead of skim. Oh well, confirmations never hurt, right?

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Inventor
#11 Old 9th May 2015 at 8:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
i wonder if there's any way to separate this from the story progression mod,
for people who don't want the whole thing and the lag on older computers..

Yes, but that would be disrespectful, unless done by the original author or current maintainer(s).
I'm making a specific mod for that, I doubt it will be as good as that feature of NRaas SP + Extra,
but, hey, better than nothing. Or maybe nothing will be better than mine, who knows? :P

Would you like to help me test it when the time comes? It's almost ready, I still have to solve a few issues.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th May 2015 at 10:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Arsil
Yes, but that would be disrespectful, unless done by the original author or current maintainer(s).
I'm making a specific mod for that, I doubt it will be as good as that feature of NRaas SP + Extra,
but, hey, better than nothing. Or maybe nothing will be better than mine, who knows? :P

Would you like to help me test it when the time comes? It's almost ready, I still have to solve a few issues.

I'd love to! Thank you for the offer. I don't feel it would be disrespectful..

Seeing as Nraas has retired from ts3 modding, there'd be no way no ask him if it is okay. I still don't think you'd be stealing the idea though. It's a pretty general thing, and just a smaller aspect of his (big) story progression mod. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 9th May 2015 at 1:38 PM
Twallan retired but the NRaas mods continue to thrive. All have been updated and enhanced with new features by a new Developer, Chain_Reaction. When Twallan retired he published his original code as a parting gift to anyone in the modding community who wanted to use them to create newer mods asking only that they do not identify them as NRass originals. Doing so would confuse the community and NRaas can not support newer versions that have not been created by the current Developer at NRaas.

While NRaas SP is a massive mod, the base mod is not necessarily as taxing on a system as some perceive. It might save some time and trouble to post over at NRaas where the experts live for some advice on how to use the current mod without bringing your system to its knees.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 9th May 2015 at 1:45 PM
I just don't want a story progression mod that overrides EA's in the game I'm playing, or any of the other features at all. I'm glad this is something Arsil is working on ^_^

Some Nraas mods cause periodic (or more than periodic) lag in my game so I'm keeping the ones I use to a minimum.
Inventor
#15 Old 9th May 2015 at 4:40 PM Last edited by Arsil : 22nd May 2015 at 1:33 PM.
Meooow... err, I mean, please don't fight ^^

I did this from scratch, it's completely original. I've also gave a quick peek at how Twallan did it (I would have
never thought about the checks on SimPort or whatever is called), but I don't like to copy things, even if it means
to re-invent the wheel I like to do the problem solving on my own (it's kinda fun until it inevitably gets frustrating).

That said, OMG, what a nightmare, there are dozens... nay, hunnerds I say, of things to consider and match together.
But I'm kinda happy of how is going so far. And, for once, I found a nice title too.

This is still unfinished and there are probably "bugs" (no crashes or anything serious, just bad temporary
solutions to problems), but I'm a bit tired, I need a break and could use some feedback and fresh points of view.

I made it hyper xml tunable, but please use the default settings for testing purposes (tweaking some settings
may solve some of the issues, but that would mean to tailor the mod to specific Sims and I want it to be
as universal and versatile as possible).

This shouldn't be too taxing for the game performances, unless you have 1000 Sims in the active household
and 1000 lots in your world (in any case, there are xml tunable settings for that too).

Things to test or to keep an eye on:
- To prevent Sims to go into empty community lots probably I disallowed them to go in other legit places.
- Not sure if visits to residential lots are working correctly (and there's still no check to see if Sims know the inhabitants).
- I think I fixed a walking on water issue (NRaas SP's feature may suffer this too, Would love a confirmation/denial).
- Haven't tested (nor dealt with) what happens with babies/toddlers in the household.
- Potential problems with Sims that cover a role (but they will hardly do it at home, so maybe there's no need to worry, but maybe they may show late at work)
- Potential problems if Sims leave the home when the carpool for work/school is about to come
- I've taken into consideration Sims' traits, maybe I should also consider abilities (UL influences are hidden skills)
- A lot of other stuff I forgot or haven't considered yet

WARNING: This mod in its current state (and depending on the xml tuning) may screw up Sims' schedules
(making them skip or go exhausted to work for instance) so don't save the game or use a testing environment.
Other than that should be completely safe, but better don't use it with a savegame you care about.

EDIT: re-uploaded updated version.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Arsil_LeavingHomeAintEasy.package.zip (9.3 KB, 441 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
#16 Old 9th May 2015 at 10:40 PM
Red Alert! Red Alert! We have some new competition in town!!

Nah, just kidding. This sounds like quite a project. But if there is anyone around here with the patience and skill to pull it off correctly, that would be Arsil. The very notion of separating out Push Actives from the rest of the NRaas SP engine that it currently relies on sounds like it wouldn't necessarily have been a route to success anyway.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th May 2015 at 11:35 PM Last edited by christmas fear : 10th May 2015 at 12:36 AM.
I love you, Arsil. Omg.

So if anyone here hasn't learned to read XMLs, the chance of sims leaving home on a work or school day is set to 50%, and a non work/school day it's set to 75%. I'm going to test this asap.

Editing post with my observations..

I noticed the sim I was controlling (with selected sim freewill turned off) had a random impulse to go to the botanical garden. I can see how this can be annoying.. Also, my vampire sim has left to go to the art gallery at odd hours, as well as the library (another night) at 11 pm. Not sure if it's because he's a vampire, but I don't know if there's anything in the mod that has 'forbidden' hours that they shouldn't autonomously leave the house.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 10th May 2015 at 1:27 AM
Oh...WOW Arsil ... that's awesome and what a great title. BTW: Love your mods. I use the Rabbit Hole doors, Picnic Basket and Futon all the time. Thanks so much for all your hard work.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th May 2015 at 5:45 AM
Amazing! Yet another gap in the Sims 3 filled in by modders.

Thanks for your work.
Inventor
#20 Old 10th May 2015 at 10:52 AM Last edited by Arsil : 10th May 2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: embarassing typos
Thanks for the feedback.

the chance of sims leaving home on a work or school day is set to 50%, and a non work/school day it's set to 75%

Just to be clear, they are set so high to help testing the mod.

Quote:
I noticed the sim I was controlling (with selected sim freewill turned off) had a random impulse to go to the botanical garden. I can see how this can be annoying..

Annoying because you had freewill turned off or for another reason?
I haven't put any check on the freewill level, I guess it's a good idea to not leave home if it's off
(there's a tuning to exclude the active/selected Sim though, so only the ones selectable but
not currently selected can leave home).

If there's at least one user directed interaction on the Sims' queue they wont leave home (it would be annoying if they leave home
when you are directly and actively controlling them). Anyway, some restraints are still lacking and others are experimental
or temporary, it's hard to figure out the best approach for some things.

Quote:
Also, my vampire sim has left to go to the art gallery at odd hours, as well as the library (another night) at 11 pm. Not sure if it's because he's a vampire, but I don't know if there's anything in the mod that has 'forbidden' hours that they shouldn't autonomously leave the house.

I've put tunable valid time-frames divided by age groups: elders, ya+adults, teens and children.
There's a tuning to disallow vampires to leave home during daytime.

-----

Twallan and Arsil are very different of course: one is the modder who more than anyone else has made the game
more enjoyable and, Geoff, who is the other? Twallan. Sorry for the lame joke, I miss Craig Ferguson.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 10th May 2015 at 12:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arsil
Thanks for the feedback.

Just to be clear, they are set so high to help testing the mod.

Annoying because you had freewill turned off or for another reason?
I haven't put any check on the freewill level, I guess it's a good idea to not leave home if it's off
(there's a tuning to exclude the active/selected Sim though, so only the ones selectable but
not currently selected can leave home).

If there's at least one user directed interaction on the Sims' queue they wont leave home (it would be annoying if they leave home
when you are directly and actively controlling them). Anyway, some restraints are still lacking and others are experimental
or temporary, it's hard to figure out the best approach for some things.

I've put tunable valid time-frames divided by age groups: elders, ya+adults, teens and children.
There's a tuning to disallow vampires to leave home during daytime.

-----

Twallan and Arsil are very different of course: one is the modder than more than anyone else has made the game
more enjoyable and, Geoff, who is the other? Twallan. Sorry for the lame joke, I miss Craig Ferguson.

Annoying because I had free will off for the selected sim, and because I was just about to have them grab a plate of food. It was sudden. I think the best approach would be to turn it off for the selected sim

Hmm, what are the current time frames you have set? One thing (unrelated to the mod) that is annoying is my vampire always being outside during the day (on home lot) to play tag with his son.

Also, the high values would be my personally preferred ones. No complaints about that one on my end! it /might/ annoy me eventually. Not sure. Lol
Inventor
#22 Old 10th May 2015 at 3:17 PM Last edited by Arsil : 11th May 2015 at 8:30 AM.
Added the freewill (AutonomyLevel) check, good idea.
(I haven't updated the uploaded file yet, I want to work on it some more)

See at the bottom of the xml for the time frames.

-----

I'm going to test what happens with babies, toddlers and children.
Are they left home? A nanny is called? If Sims are keeping a baby in their arms will they take him/her to the lot?
Are VeggiBurgers really vegetarian or is it just a scam? That kind of stuff.

I put a check to disallow leaving home in the 2 hours preceding work/school starting time, just as a safety measure
to be home when the carpool arrives.

I noticed that when Sims visit residential lots they tend to stay there indefinitely, even if their motives are
dangerously low, until they go to work from there the next morning, maybe I'm missing something
(initialize a visit situation or something).

I got a club (CocktailLoungeAsian) in my testing game and it's never chosen as destination...
I got 2 Sims: one with the bookworm trait so she is excluded, but the other one should be able to go there.
Maybe I should just discourage places that exclude traits possessed by Sims instead of completely remove them from the pool of candidates.
Never mind, the other one goes there.

They never go to NoVisitorsAllowed community lots (I have a few with only RH) even if the tuning enables that...
whooops, it was disabled by the xml, I can't even use my own mod :P

-----

Ok, now let's see what happen with babies...

Sometimes Sims go to a venue while it is still open but when they get there is closed. Should I put a check for this?
Yeah, it must be open for at least 2 more hours.

Added checks about encouraged careers and encouraged skills.

----

Damn it, let's check about babies! Ok, ok, calm down.

Added a check to see if there's someone before putting a residential lot as candidate destination
(not sure if is realistic, maybe I'll make it tunable, someone might not like to "waste a trip").
Bah, I guess the generic kAllowDesertDestination will work for this specific case too.

Added a check to see if Sims know someone (EDIT: if they are friends or more) in the residential lot they might visit.
Only checked if going to desert destinations is disallowed.
Maybe this should have its own tunable variable.

-----

Please, the babies... All right, but you could have said that before.

When the only adult (or also teen?) is leaving you get the dialog window to choose if stay home or call a baby sitter.
I'm not sure if leave it like this or try to handle it somehow. I guess that getting that message repeatedly for example
can become very annoying.

The mod timer triggered when a Sim was holding a baby and she took the baby to the destination lot. Nice. Or not?

-----

I've re-uploaded the updated mod in the same post it was before
(post#15 http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...068#post4755068)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 10th May 2015 at 5:45 PM
Annoying because I had free will off for the selected sim, and because I was just about to have them grab a plate of food. It was sudden. I think the best approach would be to turn it off for the selected sim

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd agree on that- what about single-sim families? I'm currently playing one, and I usually like to sit back and see what my sim will get itself into.

Maybe the best solution would be to have them go out only after a period of inactivity (30-60 mins), or lower their chances of going out (i.e. 50-50 chance to either go out or stay home for the next while or so, it could even depend on the traits)?

That, or have this mod deactivated when free-will is deactivated.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 11th May 2015 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Hmm, I'm not sure I'd agree on that- what about single-sim families? I'm currently playing one, and I usually like to sit back and see what my sim will get itself into.

Then, you would turn free will on. I'm talking about freewill off on the selected sim.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 12th May 2015 at 8:00 AM
Not to double post.. But Arsil, I plan on play testing your mod later today when I get off work. Thank you for updating and everything! I will post feedback
Page 1 of 2