Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 2:04 PM
Default My poor new neighborhood!
I had just started a new neighborhood with one woman who had adopted 3 girls. The girls were going to be my founders for the neighborhood. They are just a few days away from being teenagers and I've noticed that they all have long term wants.

This was a new neighborhood and I use clean templates from Meet Me By The River. As far as I can tell I have done none of the big no-no's that cause neighborhood corruption. I do a save of the neighborhood after each play and use Hood Checker, which hasn't shown any problems.

I am guessing I need to say good bye to this neighborhood and start a new one. Is it possible to safely use this family in that neighborhood? I haven't cloned sims in SimPE yet.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 2:09 PM
It's never a good idea to use a corrupted Sim in a new hood. Best to clone their appearances using SimPE.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 2:27 PM
Where are you seeing these LTWs? If you only see them in SimPE, don't worry about that. The field's populated randomly because there's no empty state, I believe.

Children with LTWs are a problem if there's an LTW floating around your neighborhood that should have been attached to an adult whose character data got shredded. If you haven't done anything to shred character data, and your game is behaving normally otherwise, don't worry about it. If the girls are rolling wants inappropriate to their age, that's another matter.

The thing to bear in mind is that corruption happens in every program. It just does. It's happening in your word processor, your spreadsheet program, and all your games. The power hiccups during a save. The cats race each other across the keyboard and activate macros that you didn't know exist which it never occurred to a programmer would ever happen so close together and some completely unpredictable side effect occurs. Your computer overheats and gets dizzy. But most stuff will keep working well enough, most of the time, until it doesn't anymore. It's as natural as a football deflating as you play. So you reinflate the football and play with it till it wears out.

Take good care of your game and have fun with it. You can have fun with this neighborhood, even if it isn't quite perfect. Perfection is unattainable and you can waste a lot of time trying to achieve it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 2:29 PM
That is one of the symptoms of corruption, but on its own, it is not necessarily corruption - it can be caused by other things, like cc. Do not say good-bye too soon - do a 50/50 first and see what happens. Take note of the cc you should never remove (I am not an expert here, but there are stuff like multi-PT mods that you never remove). It can also be due to a mod - make sure you have mods that is updated for your game.
(I had toddlers rolling fortune wants - imagine a toddler wanting to earn 100,000 simoleons) once - and immediately thought: Corruption! But in the end it was a kitchen counter.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 3:58 PM
Thanks for the fast replies everyone. All three of the children have the grow up aspiration which is good. But two have the long term want to earn 100,000 simoleons like Justpetro and the third wants 50 good dates. Luckily none of them have rolled any unreasonable wants so far.

I never thought a cc could cause this but I will definitely do the 50/50 and see if it helps. ::fingers crossed::

And, fyi Peni Griffin, it's my dog that must have been a mad hacker in a prior life. I swear she hits certain keys with her chin and I get the strangest things like 5 tabs opening!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 4:32 PM
With the girls, did you create them as adults first and then age them down? Either in CAS or in game.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 4:39 PM
When I was creating the family I had to initially make the girls as adults in CAS (I was going for three sims that wouldn't look alike). Once I was done with their features, I changed each girl from adult to toddler in CAS. Was that what did it? I can see why it might be the cause. Is there another method I should have used?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 4:47 PM
Yup, that could be what did it, especially if you ever saved while they were in the adult stage.

If you're seeding the adoption pool, your only options are to make toddlers/children with parents and kill off the parents, or to put them into the game as adults and age them down. If you were building them in CAS as part of the family with their adoptive mother, you can just build them as toddlers.

I really don't think this is going to be a problem for you. When you give them their final aspirations as teens they'll roll new LTWs.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 10:32 PM
Being aged around in CAS should have no effect. Different if she placed them into the game as adults and aged them down, but she didn't. I would keep a close watch on your hood. You didn't delete any sims from the sim bin?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 10:40 PM
Hopefully it's CC like it's been mentioned it could be, but from my own game i'd have to agree with Jo as I age Sims up and down in CAS all the time. I make a Sim as an adult, the facial features, and then age them down, all in CAS, with no ill effects. Hopefully it's nothing serious but keeping an eye never hurts. Deleting Sims will cause problems and corruption. If you didn't delete any Sims hope it's just a CC item or something. What Peni said is true though, corruption will happen over time no matter you do, technology is not perfect (and i'm trying to live with that myself lol)

My Simblr
He/They
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 4:05 AM
No deleting of sims. No removal of my PT mod. No foods I could remove.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 4:11 AM
Any other mods that create NPC's removed? Such as Echo's carnival set, the Surfing mod from here, Rebeka's animals or anything else that moves around the lot?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 6:53 AM
I had the Surfing mod but removed it awhile back, before the creation of this neighborhood. I have the garden crops from Plumb Bob Keep but no animals or the hunting mod. This family was in an apartment I had created. It had no prior occupants tho, it was tested in a different hood. Why it is such a mystery to me. I am tempted to restart with a new neighborhood but want to figure out where I went wrong first.
Theorist
#14 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 11:08 AM
Was the apartment tested in a hood created while you had the surfing mod in, or was it built while you had the mod in? If so, I think that's the culprit. If I understand correctly, anything at all from a hood that's had an NPC mod in and then pulled can carry the corruption with it. I'm not sure how to fix things, though.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 12:54 PM
I wish that was the case but I had removed that mod awhile back. I started creating this apartment well after.

I'm trying to decide if I should just start the 3 girls off in college like I originally planned or if I should retry adopting them. Decisions, decisions.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 1:20 PM Last edited by gazania : 13th Sep 2015 at 9:15 PM.
I've had many "WTH?" moments in my hoods, even though I know that I behave myself. I'm thinking my view isn't that far from Peni's when I proclaim that sneezing on my computer seems to cause corruption. Sometimes, things happen "behind the scenes" that cause problems. All you can do is avoid the known reasons that you can control. Those will reduce chances of corruption sharply, but not 100%.

The surfing mod could have caused problems. I know that when I've asked about removing custom NPCs, people told me in the past (including Mootilda, I believe) that if you do so, you'd have to reset or delete all your played hoods across-the-board, even if you didn't play the hood after you added the custom NPC. Annoying, I know.

When you get a sign of corruption, it's really uncertain how long your hood will last. One of my hoods lasted four years after I (not knowing about VBTs at the time) deleted liberally from the Sim Bin. I must have deleted about a dozen Sims! My daughter's lasted two weeks when she did a VBT. I've had hoods that went on just fine after corruption incidences for one and two years. They did not have problems when I deleted them. (One I deleted because I removed a custom NPC by accident, and I was getting tired of the hood, anyway. The other I didn't officially delete. I changed OS, removed several custom NPC downloads, and then reinstalled my game with fresh hoods on the new OS. The old hood is on a backup somewhere. I just decided not to bring it back from its currently-suspended state.) Some here have had hoods lasting longer than that. It's not always corruption = immediate destruction. Many times, it doesn't. However, if your hood really fails, it can be sudden and jarring.

I'd play the game just as you had wanted to play it. If you're nervous, you can age the girls up quickly to match their LTWs better. If, however, you see more of the nastier signs of corruption, as I did with that four-year hood (Sims simply disappear, memories have $Subject replacing a Sim's name, etc.), then I'm afraid that's that. It's toast. But you can enjoy your Sims until then!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 1:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alawren
I wish that was the case but I had removed that mod awhile back. I started creating this apartment well after.

I'm trying to decide if I should just start the 3 girls off in college like I originally planned or if I should retry adopting them. Decisions, decisions.

It's not about the individual lot, it's the hood itself. If the hood was ever opened with that mod in, and you removed it, then it's corrupted. That doesn't mean it's going to die in the next couple of days, it may take years, but there is corruption and it will spread.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 3:48 PM
I have been going over in my mind, trying to remember timing of removing the surfing mod. I really believe it was before I decided to start this neighborhood but I know that I have the original neighborhoods. It sounds like I should just pull my Sims 2 folder and let a start a fresh one. It just amazes me how quickly I connected with these 3 girls.

Edit to just say thank you for everyone's support.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 4:08 PM
I totally get being attached to Sims. I spent 2,5 years rebuilding my hood because I was so attached to my Sims. Cloning them and creating them in the new hood is not hard, so if you're fond of them, bring them along If you need step by step, I'm sure that exists somewhere. Or I could write it out for you.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 4:29 PM
Yes gummilutt please make an updated tutorial on how to safely clone a sim, for all the ones I can find have lost the pics associated with the tutorials.

I will put a link in my journal when your done so I wont lose it.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#21 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 4:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
The surfing mod could have caused problems. I know that when I've asked about removing custom NPCs, people told me in the past (including Mootilda, I believe) that if you do so, you'd have to reset or delete all your played hoods across-the-board, even if you didn't play the hood after you added the custom NPC. Annoying, I know.

I hope that isn't true as I have different hoods with different stuff in them and I don't use the CC with NPCs in all of them.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 4:33 PM
If it's in your downloads folder it's in your game and the NPCs are created in each hood, if I recall what Mootilda said correctly.

She recommended adding NPC-creating CC to the Characters subfolder of each neighborhood you wanted it in. This prevents you from accidentally shredding character data when backing up a neighborhood or troubleshooting by taking out the downloads folder.

Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 11:51 PM
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 9:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
If it's in your downloads folder it's in your game and the NPCs are created in each hood, if I recall what Mootilda said correctly.

She recommended adding NPC-creating CC to the Characters subfolder of each neighborhood you wanted it in. This prevents you from accidentally shredding character data when backing up a neighborhood or troubleshooting by taking out the downloads folder.

I've never heard of that. So having NPC creating CC in my downloads folder makes backing up my 'hoods dangerous? All I do to back them up is copy them then paste the copy elsewhere, where I keep my backups. I just thought taking out the stuff was a big no-no, so make sure it's wanted before putting it in cuz once it's in it can't be taken out. I didn't know I was supposed to put them elsewhere Then again I had the surfing mod before even knowing about NPC creating CC (but i've never taken it out either).

My Simblr
He/They
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 9:55 AM
Backing up your hoods isn't dangerous, just copy and paste your hoods. That has nothing to do with removing your download folder containing the NPC mods.

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 2