Replies: 14 (Who?), Viewed: 4347 times.
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Feb 2016 at 11:29 AM Last edited by Chax : 14th Feb 2016 at 12:04 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default My game is laggy...
Hi.

I have installed TS3 about 2 weeks ago, hadn't played in a long time. My computer is pretty good I think. It is this one : http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00157728.html (sorry the link is in French, but if you scroll down you see the specs). I've had it for about hmmmm 1 year and a half. I used to be able to run Skyrim smoothly on ultra with a lot of mods (haven't played it in a while).

I have Pets, Generations, Seasons, installed. I had reinstalled Late Night and Ambitions but uninstalled them again (well, I didn't actually uninstall them but I unclicked them from the launcher). I have minimal CC (a couple of mods from MTS as .package and some sims3packs for furniture/clothes but nothing big).

Now, the problem is that since the beginning, the game is laggy. It's not smooth, and it makes playing in live mode really annoying to me. The lag is not consistent. What I mean is that, it runs fine and then there's this little second where it's laggy (or freezing idk how to explain this) and then it's back to normal. Sometimes there's a little freezed second when I go from 3rd speed to 1st speed. It's just not smooth at all. :-/ The game lags when I move the mouse around. I have a major fps drop when I move the mouse. For example, I have 60 fps when just standing there, and then when I move the mouse I can drop to 15. It also happens when I don't move the mouse. It just drops for a second and goes back up. But it definitely is way worse when moving the mouse. I've made a video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3d...eature=youtu.be I could only make a 30sc video because of Fraps but you can see how harsh the movement is. Another one https://youtu.be/0VuyDi-gUVw where you can see how harsh the movement of my sim is, and how it takes time for furniture to load when I go to the other sim.

I've tried to do a couple of things to help but it didn't help at all...
- launching only the game and closing all other applications (Firefox, Steam, Dropbox...)
- deleting files -> did all the things from this link http://measmusings.blogspot.fr/2013...-make-your.html
- cleaning the dust from inside my computer

I am crap when it comes to computers so I really need someone to explain to me what exactly I need to do. ^^"

I noticed that the game takes a lot of memory. When I use Ctrl Alt Del, it says that TS3 is using more than 1 million memory, even though it hasn't been opened for long. I noticed a while ago that it did the same thing for L4D2 - this game actually started freezing (black screen) and I had to use Ctrl Alt Del to close it and that's when I noticed it was using so much memory. Closing Firefox when running the game seems to have fixed the black screen issue for L4D2.

I hope that someone can help me out with this cause I don't know what to do.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Feb 2016 at 12:00 PM
Can you post your device config?

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Feb 2016 at 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
Can you post your device config?

Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Feb 2016 at 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chax
Memory: 8108MB
Free memory: 5181MB

User: Cécile
Computer: CÉCILE-PC
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 11c0, Board: 354e1458, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvd3dum.dll, Version: 9.18.13.4480, GUID: D7B71E3E-5280-11CF-6866-43151CC2C435
Driver version: 4480
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 4040MB

Your deviceconfig looks good. Couple of things, but I don't think they're any problem.
1) GPU is not recognized, but the texture memory is working. Are you using a FPS limiter of some kind? Please make sure you are capping the FPS at 60. For Nvidia users, I recommend Nvidia Inspector.
2) If you like to fix the GPU recognition: Link
3) 5GB out of 8GB of RAM is more than enough. However, I'm wondering what is using up the other 3GB? Part of it will be your Win OS, but there is at least another 1-2GB missing, which means some program is running. If you have the browser open before you launch the game, that'll explain it. Otherwise, you should check your processes see if anything is running and eating up CPU resources.

4) Your video is really short and I cannot really tell whether there is a problem especially when it is recording, it tends to be slower and choppier. Here's my video, does your game look more or less like this?

----

Remember that TS3 does not run like TS4 at all. There will be some expected FPS drop b/c the game is constantly loading textures, etc.. It is the trade off of not having load screens when it switches lots. Also the open world will demand much more from the CPU and so your system is constantly running.

However, there have been a few things we can do to help with some of it.
1) Merging packages, etc.. This has to do with mods/cc, perhaps someone else can help you with that. I don't actually have enough cc/mods to need this.
2) Putting the cache/thumbnails on a RAMdisk. TS3 uses huge cache files for objects/sims. Majority of the objects etc... will still be on your HDD in the gamefiles, but it helps a lot especially when the game "writes" to the cache in realtime while you play. Link.
3) Unparking your CPU cores. This generally improves the AI, texture loading, basically improves the efficiency of the game by around 30%. Many reported that it made speed 3 useful, so it does help with these little FPS lags. Link.

Try those and let us know if these helps!

---

Edit: Btw, do not delete your cache. The only time you need to delete your cache is if there are some corruption or errors. When the cache is deleted, the game needs to fill them up again. This means it will be writing into the cache, this will pulse and lag your game while it fills it up.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Feb 2016 at 3:15 PM
Thank you for your answer.

1) I've downloaded Nvidia Inspector but I don't understand how to put the 60 fps cap ? This is what I get when I open it : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers...ns-titre-21.jpg
2) I don't understand which file I should change since I don't have the same card
3) I have no idea what could be using it. As I've said, I try to close every program before opening TS3, including Firefox. This is my Ctrl Alt Del thing (don't know the name in English) : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers...ans-titre-1.jpg I don't know what most of these are so I just let them be lol.
4) Your game seems way smoother than mine. Your game looks fine when you move the mouse around, whereas when I do, it's laggy.

~~

1) I don't need to merge files either because I almost have no CC.
2) Trying to do it but I'm retarded. x_x I think I did good, until I got to the CMD part. This is what I do : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers...ns-tigtre-1.jpg It says "local volumes are required for the transaction/operation to be completed"
3) I downloaded ParkControl but what do I do now ? As I said before, I'm retarded when it comes to those long explanations about computer stuff. >< I'm scared to do a mistake. This is what I get : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers...s-fftitre-1.jpg What should I change ?

I'm sorry I don't understand anything T_T
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Feb 2016 at 11:32 PM Last edited by nitromon : 14th Feb 2016 at 11:48 PM.
Let's walk you through them.

Quote:
1) I've downloaded Nvidia Inspector but I don't understand how to put the 60 fps cap ?

a)
b)

Quote:
2) I don't understand which file I should change since I don't have the same card

a) Find card 0x0fd1 "GeForce GT 650M"
b) Change to card 0x11c0 "GeForce GT 650M"
c) Save. That's it.

Quote:
3) I have no idea what could be using it.

It is always good to eliminate processes you don't need. FPS drop lags indicate either CPU/HDD resources are being used. This can be inside TS3 or outside. Sometimes an anti-virus would be doing an schedule check while you play, this would definitiely slow it down. Other times it could me many little updaters doing things.

a) 84 processes is pretty high. Click "show processes from all users" to see other processes. I cleaned up my system pretty well, I usually have 47-50 processes during idling.

b) You can remove processes from taskmanager every time you boot up or you can disable some of them via msconfig. In Start Program, type "msconfig"

c) Or via the system service:

d) Or from your system start up folder

e) Finally, always good to give your system a malwarez check with Malwarebytes

Quote:
Your game seems way smoother than mine. Your game looks fine when you move the mouse around, whereas when I do, it's laggy.

I wish there's a longer video to look at. Routing lag is one that cannot be fixed. You need NRAAS Overwatch to reset them. However, routing lag usually won't show up on the FPS. You mentioned that even when your sim is just "standing," the FPS would drop. This means CPU/HDD is being used. This is why I suspected 3rd party processes, but it could also be in-game.

a) Another thing to check is mods. For example, consortage mod will lag at 1am in the sim morning when it updates all the sims.
b) Object corruption - Ones I know of are infinity icecream truck, limo, diploma, or books. But these usually are extremely heavy and you would notice it dramatically. You can use NRAAS MC, click "town," "object stats," "global" and see if there is something wrong.

~~

Quote:
Trying to do it but I'm retarded. x_x I think I did good, until I got to the CMD part. This is what I do :

Did you assign your RAMdisk as "g:" ? If it is a different drive letter, you need to use that instead. For example, maybe it is "e:" or "f:" etc... "g:" was just an example, it is my RAMdisk assignment.

EG: mklink /j "blah blah blah" "E:" etc...

Quote:
3) I downloaded ParkControl but what do I do now ?

I actually don't use ParkControl, but someone asked the same question. I replied:

"So basically you want to set both the dc/ac parking to 100% to disable them. I wouldn't recommend touching the frequency scalers, that's not related, it is for overclocking I think."

Once you've made the change, make sure you check it immediately from your resource monitor (Task Manager). You do not need to reboot. It should be immediate.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 6:09 AM
Oh my god thank you so much. I cannot believe you took the time to explain all of this to me !! Imma do all this right naw and get back to you. \o/
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 6:26 AM
I just hope at least one of them will fix your issue.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 6:33 AM Last edited by Chax : 15th Feb 2016 at 6:47 AM.
OK so.

Nvidia Inspector is done.
CPU card thing is done.
I'll play without Origin open. I didn't realize you could actually play without having it open lol. Now, I'm looking through the processes in msconfig. Half of them are already "stopped" but I have no idea which ones are okay to "stop". I only disabled Skype stuff and Hamachi. D:
Do I have to keep SoftPerfect and ParkControl running in the back ?
I checked and have 209 packages. Some of them are mods from MTS cause when I first installed the game I went on a mod spree and got all the ones that seemed good lol. Just deleted some of them and now I have 193 packages. I'll have to look into them a bit more to see if I could get rid of some.
I already have installed Errorwatch and Overtrap.
Parkcontrol thing is done.
For the CMD thing, I indeed forgot to choose the right disk. XD I tried but it says it can't find the path. I guess it has to do with the fact that I installed my game through D: and not C:. My Electronic Arts file is still in C: but the files that should be in C: are in D:. So I changed the path and it says "impossible to create a file that is already there" lol. Yeah cause my path is "d:\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Thumbnails" and I chose to move it to D:. But I only have C: and D: available. Gnuuuuuuuuuuuuu. >_<
I'm gonna do a Malwarebytes test naw. -> 1 detected
Mad Poster
#10 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 7:13 AM
Quote:
Do I have to keep SoftPerfect and ParkControl running in the back ?

I'm not entirely sure? I use another type of RAMdisk. But you can always test it. After creating a RAMdisk, you will see the drive in your explorer. Close softperfect and see if the RAMdisk is still there.

Same thing with Parkcontrol. You can close the program and check in resource manager if the cores are still unparked. I think you only use parkcontrol to turn off and on the parking, so it shouldn't need the program running after you already made the changes.

If Parkcontrol bothers you, you can always use the reg version, which I am using. It turns on the option in your power plan.

Quote:
"impossible to create a file that is already there" lol. Yeah cause my path is "d:\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Thumbnails" and I chose to move it to D:. But I only have C: and D: available. Gnuuuuuuuuuuuuu. >_<

Wait... so did it work? I'm a little confused what you're saying.

When you create the RAMdisk, you can choose a new drive letter for the RAMdisk, all the way up to Z:

Quote:
Half of them are already "stopped" but I have no idea which ones are okay to "stop". I only disabled Skype stuff and Hamachi. D:

Don't worry about it. If you accidentally turned off something, you can always turn them back on. Generally to be safe, turn off things you know for sure are unnecessary like "updaters," I hate those.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 9:16 AM
Nah it doesn't work. Actually, I'm retarded, you have to choose the disk you used to create the RAM disk, right ? My mistake lol... But even if I use it (A: ), it doesn't work, it says "local volumes are required for the transaction/operation to be completed" again. :-/ http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers...s-titregg-1.jpg Am I missing something ?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 10:36 AM Last edited by nitromon : 17th Feb 2016 at 2:03 AM.
Quote:
But even if I use it (A: ), it doesn't work, it says "local volumes are required for the transaction/operation to be completed" again. :-/

Um, you don't want to use A. Usually you want to use something after C. But why don't we start from the beginning?

1) Using Softperfect, create an image file like this screenshot. Except put in these values:
- Image file name: C:\ramdisk.img
- Size (MB): 1024
- File System: NTFS

2) Using Softperfect, Choose - Disk - Add to create Ramdisk
- Select the image you've created above under "Image File Name" --> (C:\ramdisk.img)
- Pick a drive letter after your last drive letter. So, if you have C and D, pick E. (pick one that is after your CD/DVD drive too)
- Set size 1024 and file system to NTFS
- Check Hard Disk Emulation
- Check "save content to image"

Check if this was sucessful:
If you done this part correctly. You will see the RAMdisk show up in your explorer. If you chose E, you will see E: in your explorer.

---

3) Folders
- Move the files inside your "thumbnails" to the Ramdisk
- Now delete the empty "thumbnails" folder.
- in cmd type: mklink /J "source" "target"
Source = your original TS3 user folder's thumbnails folder location
Source = your RAMdisk drive from step 2 above, eg. E:

EG.
* Type mklink /J "C:\Users\You\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Thumbnails\" "E:\"

4) Files
- Move the 2 cache files (simcompositorcache and compositorcache) to your RAMdisk
- Type mklink "source" "target"
* pay attention, I removed /J from the instructions!

Source = the path of the original filename.
Target = the ramdisk filename.

EG:
* Type mklink "C:\Users\You\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\simcompositorcache.package" "E:\simcompositorcache.package"
* Type mklink "C:\Users\You\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\compositorcache.package" "E:\compositorcache.package"

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 9:18 PM
Wow!!! Was just looking at this to see if i could help. FANTASTIC help Nitromon. Posts like this are what makes this the greatest help forum for the Sims available.

Ty Ty!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 9:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian
Wow!!! Was just looking at this to see if i could help. FANTASTIC help Nitromon. Posts like this are what makes this the greatest help forum for the Sims available.

Ty Ty!

Ha! Thanks, but not all my posts in the help forum is this comprehensive. It depends on my mood and also I know Chax from the TS4 forum, she's a very nice person and a creator so I am happy to extend more effort in helping her.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 12:38 AM Last edited by nitromon : 21st Mar 2016 at 1:09 AM.
I'm adding more info for this thread b/c it is something new I just learned.

If you are having similar problem with pulsing lags in the game (much like the video Chax posted above), that the pulsing is even evident in speed 1, check if you have a lot of gardening plants in your game.

I've never played a farm before until 2 days ago and when my farm was up to 30-50 plants, the whole game lagged like her video. I checked the TS3W.EXE cpu load and it more than doubled.

Each plant requires quite a lot of computer resource to grow it with factors such as watering, fertilizing, time, weed, etc... if you have too many of them, the game will bottleneck and pulse lag since the plants seem to be running in realtime. (I can be wrong about the realtime, but they definitely do require a lot of resources).

It helps if you play in window mode (since it runs slower) and also if you slow down your CPU (in power plan advance management. Set min proc state to 5% and max processor state to whatever you want to reduce it to). It is an irony, the faster your CPU, the faster your game runs, the more bottleneck the plants create. Slowing the CPU will slow down the game.

But there is no real solution other than not having too many gardening plants. (Only the gardening plants which grows, not the regular in game static plants). The amount of gardening plants will depend on your CPU and game setup. I just did a quick count, at about 30+ plants, I began to notice the lag, but it was at around 70-80 plants where it became unplayable and I started to investigate.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.