Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 10:23 PM
Default Mod's Not Working
So, I have The Sims Medieval installed through origin. For some reason, I cannot get it to work. I have gotten mods to work on The Sims 3 and 4, but it refuses to work for Medieval. Is it supposed to go in the file under Origin games, or does it go in the one called The Sims Medieval (download) in my documents. I know I've been told not to put it in the one in the documents folder, but I have two different ones, one of which that seems to have all the same stuff as the on under Origin Games. I have also added in that whole thing into my bin, so what a I doing wrong?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 3:58 PM
I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, as I didn't get TSM by Origin. But the reason the mods don't work could be as simple as that, the mods don't work. Some of the mods are not updated very frequently, one example being the Grim's Core mod, which hasn't been updated since 2013, so it simply doesn't work anymore.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 7:46 PM
Abandoned after its first expansion Pirates and Nobles, The Sims Medieval programmers ceased development, but the modders here took up the mantle. Especially Grim. (and DeeDawg, ChickieTeeta, Simmodder, Shimrod, Sauris, et al). Most, if not damn near all, TSM mods work just fine. So, this individual is quite mistaken; in fact, this kind of drive-by-comment nonsense does no one any good. Your game must be patched to the last patch that came out before long before 2013. Also, read the Beginners Mod Your Game stickie.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Feb 2015 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ForumZombie
Abandoned after its first expansion Pirates and Nobles, The Sims Medieval programmers ceased development, but the modders here took up the mantle. Especially Grim. (and DeeDawg, ChickieTeeta, Simmodder, Shimrod, Sauris, et al). Most, if not damn near all, TSM mods work just fine. So, this individual is quite mistaken; in fact, this kind of drive-by-comment nonsense does no one any good. Your game must be patched to the last patch that came out before long before 2013. Also, read the Beginners Mod Your Game stickie.

My game is up to date and I've done everything that the Modding your Game for Beginners told me to. And again, I've managed to set up mods for The Sims 3, so it isn't like I haven't done this before.
Inventor
#5 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 2:23 AM
The first post in this thread tells you exactly how to set up your Sims Medieval game to work with mods. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=438344 I use many mods on this site and they all work fine. I use the Grim Core mod and it works fine. I have Pirates and Nobles installed. If you don't set up your game correctly for mods, then you will run into trouble. Make sure you do exactly as the steps 2 and 3 say in the First Steps section of that post that I linked to.

You can find my Sims 3 Mods at TFM's Sims Asylum .
Field Researcher
#6 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 10:52 PM
Okay, here's how you do it. Now, I don't know how much you already know, but I'm going to assume you know nothing so these instructions will be very dumbed down and thorough.

Go to this link:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=438344

At the bottom of the page, download this (circled in red), it is your resource.cfg file:

It's a zipped file. I will assume you know how to unzip this, but if you don't know, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be happy to help you.

Open up the zipped file, and just set the resource.cfg file aside for the moment. Now go to Start, then Computer (or My Computer, depending on your operating system.). Then double click on your C drive. Once you are in your C drive, double click on Programs (x86).

Now, I'm thinking here is where you are getting confused. If you've installed the game with a disc, or from any source other than Origin, you would click on Electronic Arts. But, since you bought the game on Origin, chances are you need to click on Origin Games.

Once you double click on Origin Games, you should see this (you might have more game titles in here, than what this screenshot is showing):

Go ahead and click on The Sims Medieval. This is where you will put your mods folder (that you have to create) and your resource.cfg file, although, you can put your mods folder and resource.cfg in the Pirates and Nobles folder too, if you want. Either option works. Once you've double clicked on either The Sims Medieval, or Pirates and Nobles, you will need to create a new folder that you will name, "Mods." Right click, choose, "new," then, "folder." Then name it, "Mods." You will put your resource.cfg in the same folder that your mods folder is in. The resource.cfg file DOES NOT go into your mods folder. It DOES go into either your The Sims Medieval folder, or your Pirates and Nobles folder. Either of those folders works.Take a look at this screenshot to see what I mean:

Double click on your mods folder, then right click, choose, "new," then, "folder." Name this new folder, "packages." This is the folder you will put your custom content in:

Hopefully that answers your questions. Remember that your custom content goes into the mods folder on your C drive, not your documents folder. Also, remember that your resource.cfg file goes into the same folder that your mods folder is in. Let me know if you need more help.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyluvzCow
So, I have The Sims Medieval installed through origin. For some reason, I cannot get it to work. I have gotten mods to work on The Sims 3 and 4, but it refuses to work for Medieval. Is it supposed to go in the file under Origin games, or does it go in the one called The Sims Medieval (download) in my documents. I know I've been told not to put it in the one in the documents folder, but I have two different ones, one of which that seems to have all the same stuff as the on under Origin Games. I have also added in that whole thing into my bin, so what a I doing wrong?

Your custom content doesn't go into your documents folder. A lot of people think that The Sims Medieval is supposed to be set up like The Sims 3, so you're not the only one to be confused by this, but it isn't. It all goes onto your C drive. Also, a lot of people think the resource.cfg file goes inside the mods folder, like it does for Sims 3, but instead the resource.cfg file goes next to the mods folder, not in it. A lot people get this mixed up, too.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 12:27 PM
Great answer, mirabellarose. I just want to add, that you need to be careful when instructing people to go to the program files folder as it depends whether or not they're on a 32- or 64-bit system. When you're on a 64-bit system like yourself, or me for that matter, you will have 2 program files folders. 64-bit applications go to the Program Files folder and 32-bit applications go to the Program Files (x86) folder. If you're on a 32-bit system you will only have 1 folder, Program Files, as it obviously won't be able to run 64-bit applications. The x86 term refers to a processor platform which is 32-bit specific, or at least used to be.

So TL;DR:
- 32-bit Windows = C:\Program Files
- 64-bit Windows = C:\Program Files (x86)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Feb 2015 at 2:13 PM
I have tried all of this. I appreciate all your help, but I feel like I am just doomed to not be able to mod. I have looked at the beginners guide and try all that. The only thing I can think of is maybe there is something with my computer or in the folder that is somehow preventing me from being able to use mods. I took some pictures of what I did though. Maybe it will help show what I could have possibly done wrong. I did figure out that pressing Ctrl Alt Print Screen allows me to print the thingy opened up and not the entire screen though on completely accident, so at least I have learned something new! (Trying to stay positive in my frustration)
Screenshots
Scholar
#10 Old 20th Feb 2015 at 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyluvzCow
I have tried all of this. I appreciate all your help, but I feel like I am just doomed to not be able to mod. I have looked at the beginners guide and try all that. The only thing I can think of is maybe there is something with my computer or in the folder that is somehow preventing me from being able to use mods. I took some pictures of what I did though. Maybe it will help show what I could have possibly done wrong. I did figure out that pressing Ctrl Alt Print Screen allows me to print the thingy opened up and not the entire screen though on completely accident, so at least I have learned something new! (Trying to stay positive in my frustration)

Where did you get the resource.cfg from? Try redownloading it http://chii.modthesims.info/getfile.php?file=1187435 . I notice the date modified on it is recent, coming straight from the rar file it should have a time stamp of 2011.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Feb 2015 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickieTeeta
Where did you get the resource.cfg from? Try redownloading it http://chii.modthesims.info/getfile.php?file=1187435 . I notice the date modified on it is recent, coming straight from the rar file it should have a time stamp of 2011.

Oh my gosh thank you so much! It works now! It started to crash when I opened the game for some reason but I think it didn't like the debug enabler because once I removed it started to play without the intro. Maybe I just had the wrong version or something. What whatever, I'm just happy I can finally use mods!
Test Subject
#12 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 11:13 AM
I need help un-ziping the file mentioned earlier
[QUOTE=mirabellarose] It's a zipped file. I will assume you know how to unzip this, but if you don't know, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be happy to help you.

Open up the zipped file, and just set the resource.cfg file aside for the moment. Now go to Start, then Computer (or My Computer, depending on your operating system.). Then double click on your C drive. Once you are in your C drive, double click on Programs (x86).

hello. I'm not sure how to un-zip a file, so if it's okay i'd like to ask for help please. i also don't know where to get my resource.cfg file, as it's not in my medieval folder. I've already made my mod and packages folders where their supposed to be, but that's all i could accomplish so far. now i'm compleately stuck on what to do next
Scholar
#13 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 2:49 PM
You can get the resource.cfg in the first post here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=438344

You can also get the d3dx9_31.dll in the same post, which you'll need if you plan to use Grim's core mod.
(You will also need WinRAR or 7zip to be able to open both of those.)

Different zip programs have different extract options in their right click menus
The easiest thing to do if you're not comfortable using those is just double click the zip and it will open to show you what's inside, drag the file/s out to where you want it.
Test Subject
#14 Old 21st Jun 2020 at 7:08 AM
Default Thank You!!!
Quote: Originally posted by mirabellarose
Hopefully that answers your questions. Remember that your custom content goes into the mods folder on your C drive, not your documents folder. Also, remember that your resource.cfg file goes into the same folder that your mods folder is in. Let me know if you need more help.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I know it is five years later, but I was looking at mods for my game (I got The Sims Medieval last year and have been really enjoying it) and when I started modding it I could not figure out where to put the resource.cfg. I have searched quite a few forums and finally it all makes sense! I moved the .cfg from inside the Mods folder to outside of it and all my problems were solved.

I was starting to get really sad when I was reading forums that a 2015 update to the game broke "Grim's Medieval Core" Mod but mine seems to be working great.

I know it may not seem like much, but you are the greatest. I cannot explain how much you have helped me. Thank you again.