Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 9:47 PM
Default Multiple folder problem with some CC!
I like to have things organized so I've fixed it so that I can have folders within folders in my mod folder. I haven't had any problems for years.

But I downloaded some new CC today and 3 of them will not show up in the game if I place them inside these folders that are within other folders. But they will show up if I only place them directly inside one folder alone inside of the mod folder.

Are there some CC that can only be placed into one single folder in order to appear in the game?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 10:18 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Jan 2019 at 11:22 PM.
There are some types of CC that don't like to be put in subfolders, yes. Not sure which for TS4, though. I'm guessing some mods may be sensitive to folder use.

As for the items not showing up, make sure you don't use too many subfolders, or subfolders and files with too long names. There's a character limit on file paths around 260 characters (all the way from C:\), and anything beyond this limit may not show up ingame, even if it shows up in the folder. The file path to the TS4 Mods folder uses up roughly 55-60 of those characters. Long file paths and lots of subfoldering can slow down the game, so keep it short and keep the subfoldering limited (max 3 deep is a good rule of thumb).

General file/folder naming advice for TS2/3/4 is to keep file/folder names short enough while still descriptive. You'll also want to avoid special characters that filenames and folder names don't like. The safe ones are a-z, 0-9, - and _
The not so safe ones are ()&%$#@!.,?+*=~]}[{ and so forth. Some may work in filenames, but a few may add extra "invisible" spaces in the file path, and excessive use may slow down the game loading a bit, potentially also make files not show ingame. Avoid spaces in file names (they seem to work fine for folders but are considered characters), and make sure to not put any extra punctuation marks in files, because you risk the game thinks everything behind the first . is the file extension (for instance don't name a file "Table.blue.1.package"). If your computer won't allow you to put a certain character in the file name, don't put it in. It's usually safe to rename files, with a few minor exceptions (not sure if there are any exceptions for TS4, though).
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 4th Jan 2019 at 11:11 PM
Also....always have a "Holding" folder, and put all new CC in that folder. Once you know the CC is ok...then put it in it's appropriate folder.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 1:38 AM
The rule as I understand it for Sims 4 is only one subfolder deep once in the mod folders. Like you can have as many as you want in the mods folder, but no folder called Hair in the mods folder and then in the hair folder more folders called adult, child, male, female, etc.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. -Aristotle
Scholar
#5 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 8:33 PM
You can head over to http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php...th-for-folders/
CoolSpear1 has a resource.cfg that allows for more nesting folders inside mods folder.