Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Apr 2020 at 5:49 AM
Default Help with duplicate custom content
Hi guys, I'm not really sure which category to post this in, so I'm posting it in General, but anyways; I've recently downloaded a lot of custom content, the likes of which being mostly hairs for female sims (male hair is kind of boring), and duplicates of what I can only assume are meshes have arisen. The hair style that has duplicated is the same as the one Dina Caliente in an unedited version of the game has. the hair appearing about four times and, when used, only applies a blank space for a hair style instead of actual hair. I've noticed that for custom content you can hover over the tile that belongs to the hair style and be told what files it is associated with, allowing for people to easily delete them, but these tiles aren't the same. I just need some help in knowing what to delete so I can feel better, though it is not as urgent to me as other things, lol. Thanks in advance for responding!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Apr 2020 at 8:03 AM
If you have multiples of Maxis hair showing that means those styles should be custom hair but you are missing the mesh for it. If you install the same hair twice it doesn't show, it just takes up more space in your download folder. Figure out what hair is missing its mesh, download and add the mesh then ctrl right-click the hairs.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#3 Old 25th Apr 2020 at 9:17 AM Last edited by Phantomknight : 2nd May 2020 at 4:29 AM.
Sorta agree with Jo; if you have multiple hairs showing as Maxis meshes, then either you are missing the mesh, or the hair is too high poly for your computer to handle.

You can check to see the poly count of a mesh by opening it in SimPE (tutorial here: http://modthesims.info/t/227588.) Right now, I have to get rid of high poly stuff as I have a largish download folder (19 GB) and anything over about 20,000 polys doesn't even get installed anymore. Just so you know, anything below 12,000-15,000 is great; between 15,000 and 20,000 isn't great, but can be okay; 20,000 polys is high for this old game, and 30,000 is super high poly.

Next, in order to figure out what hairs are causing problems, you can get in the habit of adding a tooltip to new files before you install them--that way if there's a problem, the tooltip will tell you what hair it is. The fastest way to do this is to use CatOfEvilGenius' File Name Tooltip to change the tooltip to the name of the file. Some hairs, as you noticed, don't have tool tips, either because the creator didn't add them or forgot. And while you can customize your tooltips and make sure they have a nice name, just adding the file name to the tooltip can be helpful in figuring out problem files later. (This assumes the file name is named something useful, however!) Cat's tooltip adder is really simple to use, too. You just pick the files you want to change, select "change existing tooltips" and go. It automatically ignores files you don't want or need to change like meshes and preview files, too.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her