Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd May 2020 at 4:29 PM
Default Sims 2 & Sims 4
I might be posting this in the wrong place, but is there anyone who plays the Sims 4 as well as the Sims 2?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd May 2020 at 6:14 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 2nd May 2020 at 8:53 PM.
I do. Occasionally. Which is to say, whenever my TS2 abstinences get a bit too unbearable (my game is iffy atm, but working on that). I prefer TS2.

TS4 feels more empty in the gameplay and the sims aren't as interesting. It's fine for a few hours, and then I get bored. It always feels like more of the same and then even more of the same, and it's not particularly challenging, either. Plus, I don't feel inspired enough to take pictures or do stories with TS4, which is my favorite thing to do in TS2.
#3 Old 2nd May 2020 at 8:27 PM
I have TS4 and I've played it for no more than 20-30 hours total.
I found CAS to not be as intuitive as it looked. I would pull at something and it would pull the wrong thing or go in the wrong direction. Perhaps I need more practice.
I didn't like that you couldn't customize the neighborhoods. I didn't like that the Sims didn't have personalities, they all seemed the same to me.

I did like that you could send one Sim to work and play with them at work while the rest of the household went on with their day. I liked that you could switch back and forth to keep checking in on them. And I also liked that you could dictate what a Sim was doing at home while you were playing with another Sim at work.
I enjoyed the way the celebrities worked - it was fun to see Nina and Katrina Caliente trying to hang out with celebrities and become famous themselves.
I liked the holiday system - in TS2 I just implement holidays on my own but TS4 does it for you.
I also liked the way relationship statuses were - that you could woohoo with someone and not really have romantic feelings for them whereas in TS2 without mods every romantic interaction causes the Sims to eventually fall in love with each other, and pretty quickly.
I also liked that there were a lot more options in CAS.. more skin tones, hair colors, etc.

Long story short I liked checking out the game to see the features I wish were implemented in TS2. But I would not trade TS2 for TS4 just to get those features. TS4 feels like a doll house to me - you decorate the house and play with the dolls. TS2 can be compared to a doll house too, except in this I don't have to rely on myself to make it interesting and the "dolls" have minds of their own.
Instructor
#4 Old 2nd May 2020 at 10:17 PM
I quite enjoy playing Sims 4 (occasionally I go back to Sims 1 too, no onther game can give me the gloomy vibe that I get from Magic Town), but Sims 2 will always be my favourite.
I haven't played enough TS4 to have explored all the expansions packs but, as others mentioned, I get bored quite quickly. I love the graphics and the building tools, I don't even use any default replacements. However I have the feeling sometimes I get lost because there's too much going on and the story progression doesn't work the way I want. Also, the scenaries are amazing but I can't stand the lack of customization for the worlds... And I find the premades quite boring :/
Sims 2, despite being quite an old game, is aging quite well and there always something new thanks to the community! I mean, I can't consider myself an expert, but I know my way around many aspects of Sims 2, so keeping it interesting it's not very hard.
I can't really say which game of the saga is better (Sims 2 and 4 run quite smoothly on my laptop, but Sims 3 on the other end never worked, especially when I tried to install all the Expansions Packs), but definitely Sims 2 is the one that suits me better.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd May 2020 at 11:56 PM
I do occasionally. I dislike the camera controls, miss jumping to sims by pressing the space bar, and tend to get bored.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd May 2020 at 12:27 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd May 2020 at 1:57 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by DrewInTheSky
I haven't played enough TS4 to have explored all the expansions packs but, as others mentioned, I get bored quite quickly. I love the graphics and the building tools, I don't even use any default replacements. However I have the feeling sometimes I get lost because there's too much going on and the story progression doesn't work the way I want. Also, the scenaries are amazing but I can't stand the lack of customization for the worlds... And I find the premades quite boring.

There's too little going on, premades are boring, and if you want drama you have to put in a lot of effort to create it, which feels a bit fake. I do kind of like that you can roam about the neighborhood in TS4, but there is too little to do. Collecting items get boring very quickly, and from what I've seen of the packs that introduce festivals and the like, it's not much to brag about. The esthetics in TS4 works in the context of TS4, but the moment you convert anything to TS2, the items tend to look a bit out of place. That wasn't an issue with TS3, but it's something I do find annoying in TS4. I think it's the slight cartoonish finish on the textures.

The story progression is horribly broken (in my opinion, anyway) - I hate it when I visit another family and jobs/school is blinking red and suddenly babies are born or things like that (happens even with aging off). I much prefer having the control TS2 gives me.

TS4 plays "hot potato" with my gaming laptop. I have no clue why it gets so warm (I've even turned down the settings), because that usually doesn't happen with TS2 (even with settings on high). Does happen with TS3, though.

The building tools in TS4 threw me off at first because they have some of the issues as CAS does (you accidentally grab stuff you didn't mean to grab), and I've discovered there's a lot of borked default buildings around that aren't so easy to fix, but I have warmed up a bit to the tools now. There are things I prefer in TS2, but there are aslo things I'd like to have, like the foundation tool and being able to have higher walls.

The TS4 expansion packs are rather meh. Most look kind of empty, and seem very basic, and while I don't have many I've been somewhat disappointed with those I have. In contrast, I loved how the packs in TS2 had more than what it said on the tin. For some stuff packs, instead of one set of themed furniture you'd maybe get three, and most of the expansions had tons of new objects I'd end up using even if I didn't care one bit for the main feature (I haven't played a single apartment in years, but I use objects and functions from AL pretty much all the time).

What annoys me the most is the complete lack of interesting social interactions, especially for kids. They talk... and talk... and talk... but there's not much else. In TS2 kids can play together and show off. In TS4 most of the actual interactions are on play equipment, and those tend to be huge. I don't know if later EPs introduced more to do, but it's rather empty with the ones I have.

TS2 genetics are best, hands-down. Sim genetics work, pet genetics work, and they mix in fine. Can even be expanded if the default version is too little (but I prefer not to). Pet genetics in TS4 are so broken the game can't even pair a blue and a pink dog and get either color (the puppies were brown, I pretty much gave up at that point), and a green and a purple alien somehow got a turqoise baby - no idea how that happened (all their other kids were purple, even though there is a green baby skin), and the kids frequently get eye colors and such their parents don't have.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd May 2020 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
miss jumping to sims by pressing the space bar
Looks like that's something else new that I've learned about The Sims 2. How does that work?

(As for the main question, sorry, I've never had any real interest in any other computer game than TS2. I don't think TS4 would run on my netbook computer anyway.)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
#8 Old 3rd May 2020 at 3:30 AM
You just press the space bar while playing with a Sim in your household and it will switch to you controlling the next Sim in your household. I believe it goes in the order of how they are lined up on the left of the screen. That way you don't have to manually click on Sims to manage them. I actually forgot about that too
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 3rd May 2020 at 4:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Looks like that's something else new that I've learned about The Sims 2. How does that work?

(As for the main question, sorry, I've never had any real interest in any other computer game than TS2. I don't think TS4 would run on my netbook computer anyway.)

Yep, just like BeckyBoo said. I use it constantly.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#10 Old 3rd May 2020 at 6:27 AM
Sadly TS4 doesn't run well on my crappy machine. I tried it for 30 min or so.
The only reason I want to play it is because of City Living and mods anyway. I wish the mods would exist for The Sims 2. You know, Basemental and others.
The first person camera is cool. There is a mod like it for The Sims 2 though.
I also really like the fact that you can make transgender Sims right out of the box, and I appreciate the character creation. The way you can modify body shape and things like that. Even the walk style! Sadly they are a bit too cartoony for my taste but it's the thought that counts.
Emotions are interesting in concept.
I think that it looks better than 3. The Sims 3 had beautiful landscapes and views but the sims looked like they came straight from the uncanny valley.
Scholar
#11 Old 3rd May 2020 at 9:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by darth_kor
Sadly TS4 doesn't run well on my crappy machine. I tried it for 30 min or so.
The only reason I want to play it is because of City Living and mods anyway. I wish the mods would exist for The Sims 2. You know, Basemental and others.
The first person camera is cool. There is a mod like it for The Sims 2 though.
I also really like the fact that you can make transgender Sims right out of the box, and I appreciate the character creation. The way you can modify body shape and things like that. Even the walk style! Sadly they are a bit too cartoony for my taste but it's the thought that counts.
Emotions are interesting in concept.
I think that it looks better than 3. The Sims 3 had beautiful landscapes and views but the sims looked like they came straight from the uncanny valley.

Wait...how do u make trans sims in TS4??? Wut...
Instructor
#12 Old 3rd May 2020 at 9:32 AM Last edited by DrewInTheSky : 3rd May 2020 at 10:24 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
There's too little going on, premades are boring, and if you want drama you have to put in a lot of effort to create it, which feels a bit fake. I do kind of like that you can roam about the neighborhood in TS4, but there is too little to do. Collecting items get boring very quickly, and from what I've seen of the packs that introduce festivals and the like, it's not much to brag about. The esthetics in TS4 works in the context of TS4, but the moment you convert anything to TS2, the items tend to look a bit out of place. That wasn't an issue with TS3, but it's something I do find annoying in TS4. I think it's the slight cartoonish finish on the textures.

What I mean is that the gameplay itself is not as deep imho, it's just full of constant annoyances that slow it down. Everything is time consuming and slow?! For instance, if I have a family of 4 Sims and one of them is a celebrity I need to keep them alive, make sure the kids go to school and the parents focus on their career/skills. Easy no? Ah no wait, there's an ongoing festival, plus you get a call to hang out somewhere, meanwhile is an holiday that if you ignore will give you a sad moodlet for ages, to improve in the career you need do a specific action but then you also need to socialize with 4 strangers to get to the next milestone... I don't mean to complain but I feel like despite the option there's too many things that don't work together so, even if potentially you could do all of those things and more, the actual gameplay is quite boring.

The story progression is horribly broken (in my opinion, anyway) - I hate it when I visit another family and jobs/school is blinking red and suddenly babies are born or things like that (happens even with aging off). I much prefer having the control TS2 gives me.
For this one I blame myself lol I'm a control freak and I want to be in charge of everything, although I'd like if my other Sims could progress without me... It's just that I don't like how the game does it XD

The TS4 expansion packs are rather meh. Most look kind of empty, and seem very basic, and while I don't have many I've been somewhat disappointed with those I have. In contrast, I loved how the packs in TS2 had more than what it said on the tin. For some stuff packs, instead of one set of themed furniture you'd maybe get three, and most of the expansions had tons of new objects I'd end up using even if I didn't care one bit for the main feature (I haven't played a single apartment in years, but I use objects and functions from AL pretty much all the time).

That's so true! I use a lot the filter option (one of the best features of TS4, tbf) and I was surprised to see that RoM introduces just about 20 objects? I get the idea of stuff pack and game pack (don't agree with the policy, but that's it) and also most of the EPs are "remakes" of the old ones but... smaller in some things? They also tend to exclude one another because of the way they are structured - no chance you can be a celebrity and explore Selvadorada at the same time or in the same family...
I think TS3 added way too many EPs but some of them were actually quite interesting! And, of course, rather than a pack on Vampires and one on Spellcasters I'd rather have a Making Magic/Supernatural one, but I guess that's more about marketing that gameplay.

TS2 genetics are best, hands-down. Sim genetics work, pet genetics work, and they mix in fine. Can even be expanded if the default version is too little (but I prefer not to). Pet genetics in TS4 are so broken the game can't even pair a blue and a pink dog and get either color (the puppies were brown, I pretty much gave up at that point), and a green and a purple alien somehow got a turqoise baby - no idea how that happened , and the kids frequently get eye colors and such their parents don't have.
lol, I had no idea! Pets for TS4 is one of the EPs that less interests me (which is weird, I'm love with cats and dogs irl) but tbf I don't play them much in TS2 either. TS2 genetics was pretty basic I'd say but it serves the purpose

Again, I'm not try to criticize TS4 or saying that TS2 is better just because, I hope it doesn't look like I hate it! If anyone is a Pokémon player, it's the same with the most recent games: the need to keep the standards that made the brand famous but they also need to keep up with technology and appeal new gamers... I miss some things from the older games but I appreciate the new ones for other stuff: same goes for The Sims, in my case.
Theorist
#13 Old 3rd May 2020 at 10:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
Wait...how do u make trans sims in TS4??? Wut...
I believe there's a "..." button right next to their gender button in CAS. There are several features to pick for your sim, including whether they can stand while using a toilet, if they're the ones impregnating others or the ones able to get pregnant, and others that impose masc or fem characteristics to certain aspects of their life and body.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 3rd May 2020 at 1:26 PM
OH HELL NO! I have this opinion and I will have it to death: TS4 is an awful game, with boring sims without any personality, relying on expensive, overpriced DLC, and is a shell of what EAxis used to be.

If you can't tell yet, I play both TS2 and TS3 and alternate between them. I think they're both great games in their own right and I have fun playing and creating for both of them. I actually have fun creating characters for both games because I feel that they really have personality. And using this guide here (http://modthesims.info/t/450276) I have basically eliminated "pudding face" in my personal game :3
Mad Poster
#15 Old 3rd May 2020 at 4:51 PM
Sims 4 was a birthday gift to me.

I honestly tried.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 3rd May 2020 at 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Sims 4 was a birthday gift to me.

I honestly tried.

EA gave me the Sims 4 Free

Sorry, I didn't try
Forum Resident
#17 Old 3rd May 2020 at 6:33 PM
Sims 2 does romance way better than sims 3 or 4 ever would. I bought sims 4 and a few game packs and expansions, But I became so frustrated with it I eventually uninstalled sims 4 and just stuck with sims 2.
Test Subject
#18 Old 3rd May 2020 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
I believe there's a "..." button right next to their gender button in CAS. There are several features to pick for your sim, including whether they can stand while using a toilet, if they're the ones impregnating others or the ones able to get pregnant, and others that impose masc or fem characteristics to certain aspects of their life and body.

Exactly. The options are available for Sims aged teen or older.
There is a way to change clothing preference too and with the pregnancy settings you can have same-sex pregnancy or even sterile Sims. I find this great and I wish that The Sims 2 wasn't so limited regarding this kind of thing. There is CC that helps but it's not like TS4.

You guys mentioned pets, right? The Sims 4 is so shallow in this aspect. Even The Sims 1 had more to do. You could even buy a pet iguana.
I like the customisation in TS4 though.
I think the best gameplay featuring Pets was actually in The Sims 2 Pet Stories, because you could train your dog/cat for pet shows and there were special objects. I recall pet shows in The Sims 1 but I've never actually participated in one as far as I remember.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 3rd May 2020 at 10:16 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd May 2020 at 10:27 PM.
^ The pet show objects from Life Stories were converted for TS2 and made usable with the original animations and all, links here (maybe not quite all the functionality of the pet shows, but still, it's tons better than what TS4 has...)

I still can't figure out how the pet show/agility items in TS4 work, and they certainly don't work together so you can make a show out of it (not in any way I can figure out, anyway). The sims/pets will just use the items one by one, and have to be directed to each of them. The animations aren't particularly interesting, either. I've also found the pets to be very buggy, and nearly all the strays are sick in Brindleton Bay. I made a blue dog for fun, and kept wondering why there were so many other blue pets around. Took me a while (and a few sim-days of running the pet clinic) to figure out they all had the "icy" symptom and were sick. And there aren't small pets to interact with. I don't have the stuff pack, as it's rather empty anyway (just hamsters with different looks to them). I like the birbs and hammies and sneks and horsies and unicorns and all the other pets TS2 and/or TS3 introduced (TS3 Pets was perhaps my favorite out of the pet-related EPs, but I do like the TS2 pets too because the small pets don't run away ever so often, and the TS2 pets do have a few quirks I like). The tiny amount of pets without working genetics (if you don't count frogs, which do have rather bizarre genetics but otherwise don't do anything other than being decorative) got boring very quick.

The option of being able to set sims as being able to get pregnant/make pregnant can be quite useful, but since there is a "neither" option, I kinda miss a "both" option. Would make things at least slightly more interesting. As it is, both sims in a same-sex couple have to be set as different option, so you kinda know what you're getting.
Theorist
#20 Old 3rd May 2020 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by darth_kor
There is a way to change clothing preference too and with the pregnancy settings you can have same-sex pregnancy or even sterile Sims. I find this great and I wish that The Sims 2 wasn't so limited regarding this kind of thing.
Keep in mind that this game was released in 2004. One big thing that stands out is that it declares same-sex marriage as a "join union," and never confuses it with the word "marriage" in strings. Allowing gay interactions to pass as easily as straight interactions (as opposed to such interactions in TS1) was probably a pretty bold move back then.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 3rd May 2020 at 11:16 PM
^ The pet show objects from Life Stories were converted for TS2 and made usable with the original animations and all, links here (maybe not quite all the functionality of the pet shows, but still, it's tons better than what TS4 has...)

Chris Hatch made a mod that makes the actual Pet Stories agility show usable in the main Sims 2 game, complete with scoring. Use the objects that come with this mod as I don't think the others are compatible with it.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...639#post5628639
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 4th May 2020 at 1:11 AM
Sims 4 runs better for me than Sims 3 ever did.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#23 Old 4th May 2020 at 7:57 AM
Does having both of them on your computer count? According to Origin I've played Sims 4 for about less than an hour, and Sims 2 only 3 hours (although that is definitely incorrect, more like 1,000+)
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 4th May 2020 at 8:25 AM
I got Sims 4 when it was free. I played it for a couple of days but found it frustrating. I was bored. It was back to Sims 2 for me. There's no comparison.
Scholar
#25 Old 5th May 2020 at 12:05 AM
Does anyone know if building in TS4 is better than building (homes) in TS2? I am thinking of getting TS4 just for building instead of just playing sims themselves.
Page 1 of 2