Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#926 Old 18th Jul 2020 at 6:57 PM
I'm thinking of making a system where the laws in the neighbourhood are determined by the aspiration of the sim in change. For example, if the leader's aspiration is Knowledge then collage is free for everyone but young sims with grades below a "C" are taken away. I've thoughts of laws for Family and Knowledge but not sure what laws I should have for other aspirations.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#927 Old 18th Jul 2020 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shadow214
I'm thinking of making a system where the laws in the neighbourhood are determined by the aspiration of the sim in change. For example, if the leader's aspiration is Knowledge then collage is free for everyone but young sims with grades below a "C" are taken away. I've thoughts of laws for Family and Knowledge but not sure what laws I should have for other aspirations.

Pretty easy for romance sim: love is free, woohoo with everyone and no jealousy.
Pleasure: all significant ceremonies and parties must be on community lot. Sims can wear whatever they want (pajamas on parties, swimming in underwear etc.)
Wealth: taxes, taxes, taxes...
Mad Poster
#928 Old 19th Jul 2020 at 3:07 AM
@Shadow214 -I'd make bookcases being present on all community lots required by law and that some skilling career reward items must be placed on any community lots as my sims often use the charisma podiums from those to earn extra money while skilling up.Wealth aspiration sims would want high school to be tuition-free and for sims to use the best schooling options for their children to give them the best chance at getting higher grades to make it into high school.They'd also put more subsidized rental housing complexes in to help raise more sims put of poverty and want the town organized into districts.Family aprirations would be similar though more about family and would also include in laws that couples have to learn about and practice good family planning like not having babies just because you want one even though you can't afford a child yet.The big diffirence is that wealth sims might want to tax richer sims more if their income is higher and tax less wealthy sims less to encourage poor sims to rise above poverty.Family sims would want to avoid charging taxes unless it was absolutely needed to raise money for some community ammenites and they'd require all bars and nightclubs to provide toddler spaces for couples out on a date night who can't pay a sitter so they can at least keep their little one safe.
Field Researcher
#929 Old 19th Jul 2020 at 6:03 PM
@Shadow214
Family Sims:
-.financial incentives given at weddings at to every child born.
- elders must live with a relative
- One adult must be a full time caregiver until household children are teens (can be a parent, grandparents, relative, or for the wealthy a live-in Nanny)

Pleasure
- No more police crashing parties (get a mod/hack)
- Free babysitting/Nanny services
- Must regularly host parties if wealthy
- No working or homework on Saturday or Sunday

Romance
- tax breaks on hot tubs, saunas, and other places to woohoo that aren't the bed
- Bonuses for single parents

I like this idea! I may do something similar in my game
Alchemist
#930 Old 19th Jul 2020 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shadow214
I'm thinking of making a system where the laws in the neighbourhood are determined by the aspiration of the sim in charge. For example, if the leader's aspiration is Knowledge then college is free for everyone but young sims with grades below a "C" are taken away. I've thought of laws for Family and Knowledge but not sure what laws I should have for other aspirations.

I seriously love this thread. Little did you know it @Shadow214, but I wrote up a sim political spectrum to help me decide that very question! I guess it's time to share it. You may not agree with everything I have, but hopefully it'll spark some ideas. To sum up everything quickly I made a chart for myself; I'll share that too. As a little background, well, originally I was coming up with some ideas for my eventual BACC or integrated hood. I wanted a way to make story happen, a way to direct the future of the hood, without me necessarily coming up with a specific plotline and coming up with a specific direction. I wanted a hood that had rich backstory and ideologies that came from my sims--their aspirations, interests, and personalities would shape the town and make for a story. And from those things, I'd make the utopia, dystopia, or anything else in between, that my sims seem to demand. So, for each aspiration I tried to answer how that aspiration feels about government, money, social norms, community lots, family, otherness/outsiders, and learning (in no particular order). I didn't give too many specific examples, but rather generalities on how sims approach the world. For me, that's enough to spark ideas on what laws they'd make or proposals/projects they'd come up with. Hopefully it does that for you, too.

What was pretty obvious to me at first was that Family and Romance are polar opposites. Both aspirations just want the exact opposite of each other. I thought about why and I thought about each aspiration a bit more and eventually came to conclude that Pleasure is not only opposite to Family as well, but is the ultimate liberal. Family is the ultimate conservative. Pleasure sims require a fully free society to pursue their whims while Family sims are all about order and traditions. Romance sims would also fall into the liberal category, wanting a lot of the free society Pleasure sims need to make pursuing fun a realistic, full time goal. Popularity, on the other hand, is closely aligned with Family. They need societal order/structure to get what they care about--status. Fortune would lean liberal, because they desire financial freedom. One could argue that Fortune sims belong on the conservative side, but for me, if the spectrum was also no rules vs. rules, I'd have to keep them on the no rules/liberal side. And finally, Knowledge and Grilled Cheese sims would be neutral, but for different reasons. Admittedly Knowledge sims probably tend to lean liberal more than towards the conservative end of the spectrum, but for them, it's only about the pursuit of knowledge. They do not want to be in the weeds about everyday affairs. Plus, given enough time and learning, they could probably rationalize just about anything. Grilled Cheese sims of course, only care about grilled cheese all the time, every time. So absolutely neutral for them.

With that rough breakdown, I could then look a little deeper at aspiration, think about the potential subtle differences within each one, and think about how each aspiration might mold a society.

I hope that was all helpful; for me, that's enough to come up with rules, good, bad, or extreme, for each aspiration. Hopefully it helps others come up with ideas, too.
Screenshots

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#931 Old 20th Jul 2020 at 1:50 AM
I have one disagreement with your chart, though-I think Fortune pixels are very conservative and like to keep their money intact by keeping power. They're usually the people who run things, and they're very paranoid with people looking to steal it from them.
I usually pick a secondary aspiration for a fortune pixel as being family or popularity-in order to keep their wealth in the family, and to build an empire.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Alchemist
#932 Old 20th Jul 2020 at 2:34 AM
Yes, it was very tricky for me to place Fortune sims, but I think I ultimately decided that they should be liberal because they aren't really concerned with social rules at all, nor do they really care about traditions and order, as long as they're making money. I see them as wanting freedom above all--the freedom to make money anyway--and not wanting much government at all. Again, just enough government to protect their property and investments, but otherwise, I was thinking they wouldn't want any meddling. They'd want to be free to get away with everything. Idk where libertarianism fits on the spectrum, but that's what I was going for. And since I thought economic freedom would be priority number 1 for them, I tipped them over to the liberal side.

But as I was writing the post up, yeah, I could definitely see how Fortune could also be considered conservative and could see an alternate version where Fortune is on the other side. A lot of times they seemed to line up with Family and Popularity sims. ...Idk, it made sense in my head at the time.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Field Researcher
#933 Old 20th Jul 2020 at 5:13 AM
I think all the aspirations can have desires that run the spectrum.
Like one Family Sim might think that free Nanny/Daycare is ideal so families can have lots of kids. But another might think only one parent should work and the other should stay home.
Mad Poster
#934 Old 20th Jul 2020 at 3:01 PM
I've had it that my family sims love the idea of birth control and wise family planning to make sure nobody's having babies when they're totally unprepared to riase the child and family sims often want to build up finances to be able to afford to raise children without needing both parents to work.They'll want there to be subsidized rental housing which can help those who might've gotten pregnant by accident before they were really ready.
Fortune sims don't like seeing babies being born to families that can't afford the child because it means more sims ending up living in poverty and more taxes for them to pay for the cost of running the subsidized rentals which wealthier sims don't need.They also want to make sure fewer unwanted children are born and that more couples are better prepared for raising children when they finally have one.They're also the ones who wait longer to start families and sometimes end up having fewer children unless family is a secondary arpiration which often happens.
Romance sims will often like romance and dating though they'll want to settle down and get married though not be in a hurry to start a family because they want to enjoy having date nights and be able to have nights out as a couple before they have a family or end up dciding to forgo kids.
Pleasure sims are mostly like hippies and want free love and are less likely to settle down to get married.They also don't want paties broken up and don't like paying taxes or having steady jobs and will often take advantage of subsidized rental housing even though they could work.
Scholar
#935 Old 22nd Jul 2020 at 8:54 PM
Some of my Sims are getting involved in illegal activities, and I want there to be a chance of consequences for them, but I don't want it to be something that I necessarily control. I am working on getting an asylum in town where I can send Sims who get arrested, but I am wondering how might they get caught? One of my thoughts is that Tank is the Chief of Police and perhaps if he (or anyone else in the police department) does a walk-by of the Sim's house where they have been committing crimes while I'm playing it, that might mean they are under investigation. I don't want it to be as random as rolling a die, but more integrated into the story. Anyone have thoughts?
Forum Resident
#936 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 12:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
Some of my Sims are getting involved in illegal activities, and I want there to be a chance of consequences for them, but I don't want it to be something that I necessarily control. I am working on getting an asylum in town where I can send Sims who get arrested, but I am wondering how might they get caught? One of my thoughts is that Tank is the Chief of Police and perhaps if he (or anyone else in the police department) does a walk-by of the Sim's house where they have been committing crimes while I'm playing it, that might mean they are under investigation. I don't want it to be as random as rolling a die, but more integrated into the story. Anyone have thoughts?

Do you use traits? Perhaps that could be a factor in your gameplay, like 'unlucky' sims are more likely to get investigated. Beyond that, I like the idea of police walkbys meaning that the sim is under investigation. How would you play out the investigation, then? Would the police visitors have to find evidence of crime?

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Scholar
#937 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 1:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by didyouevenmakeasound
Do you use traits? Perhaps that could be a factor in your gameplay, like 'unlucky' sims are more likely to get investigated. Beyond that, I like the idea of police walkbys meaning that the sim is under investigation. How would you play out the investigation, then? Would the police visitors have to find evidence of crime?

I don't think I have traits. I have Super Collection so no FT/AL.

Yeah, I get stuck on playing out the investigation too. Maybe they would have to see the evidence, like the grave in the backyard or the cowplant in the basement. Maybe also using gossip? When Nervous ran away from the Beakers', Loki found out about it because he was gossiping about Nervous with a coworker who I knew had just been over at the Curious house where Nervous was, so I figured she was telling Loki that. I like to use the gossip interaction because it's shorter than chat but usually gets two Sims interacting.
Field Researcher
#938 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 3:11 PM
I think traits are a mod.

Hm, maybe if you see someone gossip to a police officer about a criminal?

And then maybe the police officer could invite themselves over (use a summoner) and talk to the sim?

After that I'd probably use a dice roll, maybe dependent on relationship points they have after the talk. If the criminal is a really smooth talker the likelihood of getting investigated further is less.
Depending on the type of crimes, the officer could also walk around the lot randomly and if they get close to something they find it? But Sims tend to stick to bath/food/fun items, so I don't think they'd randomly enter the cellar full of urns...
Mad Poster
#939 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 4:24 AM
What I do for unattended children might give you some ideas:
If a sim leaves their baby or toddler at home alone and there is reason for a passer-by to see/hear them, and the passer-by is the sort of sim who would call the authorities about it, then I will have the child put in my orphanage.

So if someone witnesses a crime who would report it, maybe that would trigger investigation and arrest. They might report it because they're a good citizen, they might report it because they're a rival criminal. They might not report it if they would be threatened by the criminal, or if they would believe that crime is a result of society's evils. That would depend on the sim. You could probably figure out a ruleset where so many nice points or so high a relationship with the criminal means a witness wouldn't report the crime, an enemy who has lost a fight to the criminal wouldn't report it, an enemy who has won a fight with the criminal would report it, a sim with mid-range nice points would report it, a sim with low nice points wouldn't report it because they don't see a problem, etc.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#940 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington

What kind of laws are they breaking? If they're doing something outside, do they have close neighbors who could see it and call the police? You might want to introduce accomplices if it fits, so that Sims can turn on each other if the relationship goes bad, or inform on each other to get a lighter sentence if they get caught.
Scholar
#941 Old 24th Jul 2020 at 7:45 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! Lots of great ideas here for me to work with. The major crimes being committed at the moment are assault and murder by a werewolf, murder by a rogue scientist with a cowplant, and kidnapping by a Single White Female type. The two murderers do have graves in their yards, although the former werewolf lives in an abandoned house with no close neighbors. The scientist with the cowplant and the SWF are accomplices, so that gives me some possibilities, as well.

I had to share how so wonderful this game is at building stories just with the little things it does. The werewolf in question was Mickey Dosser, who has since "cured" himself by turning someone else, Ajay Loner, into a werewolf, thus passing on the curse. While he was still a werewolf, though, he assaulted Buck Grunt and killed a townie. Buck's brother is Tank Grunt, who is Captain Hero, and Buck lives with him. It stands to reason that Buck would tell him about the assault, and Tank would want to investigate. So Buck brought home from work none other than Ajay, who turned into a werewolf while he was at the Grunts' house and told Tank how he became that way. Ajay hasn't assaulted anyone yet, so he may just need treatment for his condition, but now Tank has two witnesses against Mickey and probably enough evidence to have him arrested. I think Mickey will be committed to the asylum rather than imprisoned or executed because he wasn't in his right mind when he committed his crimes.
Mad Poster
#942 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 8:21 AM
I have a hack that disabled the social worker coming if a baby,toddler or child was laft home alone though I'd have rules about that only being allowed to do a quick grocery run while they have to take the little one along or hire a babysiiter if leaving a baby or toddler for more than a quick grocery run.Subsidized rentals mean sims who weren''t prepared when a baby came along can still manage though they'd have to move out of their house if they can't afford to have one parent quit their job.That's usually what hapens when couples are starting families.
Forum Resident
#943 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 3:22 PM
So my rule with uni is that sims need to fork over 3000 simoleons to attend, so that I don't just send everyone to uni. I wanted to send Puck Summerdream as well, but the family kinda spent their money on renovation and now they don't have money to pay the bills and send him to uni. Also, I was very much relying on him going bc I had Tybalt move into a house by himself, and so he only has a few simoleons in funds now at uni. Do you think I should download the loan jar and have them take out a loan, or just simply age him up to adult? (I'm not too worried about the age difference that would come with this, they're sims, as long as they seem sorta correct I'm fine with it)
Mad Poster
#944 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 3:51 PM
@sugiosama -I'd download a hack from here that allows the career rewards to be unlocked to buy mode and buy a charisma podium for them to use in earning more money and I usually place those on community lots and incommon areas of apartment lots.The charisma podiums pay money when a sim uses it to practice a speech and they also build up charisma skill if it's not already maxed out.They could come up with the money quickly for that expense and not owe any debt for it since it was legit earned and not cheated into the funds.
Mad Poster
#945 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 4:18 PM
If you were looking forward to playing Puck in university, I think you should do whatever, within the realm of your playstyle, is necessary to send him there. Personally I'd be willing to use cheaty ways for the Summerdreams since they are fairies, but if the loan jar's more comfortable for you, by all means use it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#946 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
If you were looking forward to playing Puck in university, I think you should do whatever, within the realm of your playstyle, is necessary to send him there. Personally I'd be willing to use cheaty ways for the Summerdreams since they are fairies, but if the loan jar's more comfortable for you, by all means use it.

Honestly, I think I'm also gonna kinda cheat him in, if "they're fairies" can explain why they wear flower crowns all the time and why they have such a house with mediocre pay, charming (like, magically) him into uni doesn't seem too out of their reach.

The podium is a good idea too, would it not be for the fact that I waited until the literal last moment to decide on this, lol. I was hoping for Oberon to get that bunny video chance card to bring in some cash, but he didn't, so magic it is
Lab Assistant
#947 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 12:39 AM Last edited by Shadow214 : 15th Sep 2020 at 9:28 PM.
Thanks for all the ideas for laws, I've made a list with some ideas.
Aspirations Laws

Pleasure
-All Sims pay 10% less tax.
-No working or doing homework on Saturdays and Sundays.
-If a household can’t afford any fun objects then they will be given £1000 simoleons to buy any fun objects they want.
-The Nanny service is free.
-No more police crashing parties.
-Sims can dress however they want
-Teenagers may drink from bars and use the bubble bar.
-There must be a community lot where sims can go to have fun such as an arcade, park or nightclub.

Fortune
-Wealthy sims pay 20% more tax.
-Teenagers and Elders are encouraged to get part-time jobs. (If a teen or elder rolls a job want it must be fulfilled.)
-Sims who own business pay 10% less tax.
-Burglar alarms are free.
-Sims at the top of their career, have a rank 10 business or a gold talent badge pay 20% less tax.
-University fees are cut by 50%.
-Stealing another sim’s newspaper or lawn ornaments will result in a fine of £500 simoleons.
-Sims caught counterfeiting money must pay £5,000 simoleon fine.

Knowledge
-By law, sims are required to have a bookcase and a telescope in their house if they can’t afford it then, then the family will be given money to buy the cheapest bookcase and telescope.
-University is free for all sims.
-Children and Teens whose grades fall below a “C” will be taken away and put in an orphanage.
-Supernatural sims and sims who have been abducted pay 5% less tax.
-Sims who maximize at least one skill pay 20% less tax.
-Sims who maximize all their skills pay no taxes at all.
-Children and Teens must be taught how to do their homework.
-There must be a community lot where sims can learn skills such as a library or a science lab.

Family
-Toddlers must be taught at least one of their toddler skills, failure to do so will result in the child being taken away when they age up.
-Pregnant Sims too poor to afford a crib and changing table will be given the money to buy them before the baby is born.
-Sims will three or more children pay 20% less tax.
-Elders must live with a relative if they have no relatives they must move in with a friend.
-Sims who cheat on their partners and are caught will be fined.
-Orphan sims will be moved into the house of their nearest living relative. If they have no other family they will be moved in an orphanage. Teenagers cannot live alone.
-One adult must be a full-time caregiver until household children are teens. (can be a parent, grandparents, relative, or for the wealthy a live-in Nanny)
-When two sims get married they will receive £2000 simoleons.
-Using the bubble blower is illegal.
-There must a community lot where families can spend time together, such as a park or community centre.

Romance
-All objects that sims can woohoo in now cost 10% less to buy.
-Single parents pay 5% less tax.
-Sims with ten or more romantic partners pay 20% less tax.
-Sims are encouraged to find love. (All wants to with romance must be fulfilled.)
-Getting married is strongly discouraged, those who want too cannot throw a wedding party.
-There must be a community lot where sims can meet up with potential partners without fear of being judged.
-Parents are free to give their children to an orphanage if they don’t want them.

Popularity
-All sims must visit at least one community lot per week. Failure to do so will result in £500 simoleon fine.
-There must be a party whenever a sim gets married, ages from a teenager to an adult or graduates from university.
-Sims with ten or more best friends pay 20% less tax.
-The pizza and Chinese delivery service are free. (Cheat the money back.)
-The Nanny service is free.
-No more police crashing parties.
-Sims are encouraged to live together, households with four or more sims pay 10% less tax.
-There must a community lot where sims can mingle together such as a park, town hall or a nightclub.

Grilled Cheese
-Fire alarms are free for all sims.
-On Sundays, everyone must eat at least one grilled cheese sandwich.
-Sims with maximized cooking skill or have a Golden Gardening badge pay 20% less tax.
-Everyone is encouraged to plant crops to get the best ingredients for grilled cheese sandwiches.
-There must be a restaurant where only grilled cheese sandwiches are served.
-Sims in the Culinary career pay 10% less tax.
Forum Resident
#948 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 7:48 PM
Less of a dilemma, more of a "lunchtime poll" I guess
You win a million dollars the day aliens land and announce... lol nope

If you had Goneril and Albany divorce in your game, what was the reason that finally drove them to it? I want to make them divorce to create Drama (tm) and absolutely destroy Ariel mentally, but my plan (have Albany adopt a kid without Goneril's permission) tragically failed after Albany rolled away the baby want after locking the divorce fear.

Also, if you had them seperate, what arrangements did you do? Who did the kids stay with?
Mad Poster
#949 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 8:18 PM
I haven't played them long enough to do this, but two things occur to me right off the bat:

Lesbian Goneril. And/or:

"You don't want to help me fill that next baby want? Fine. I'll go through somebody else."

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#950 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 1:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
Who did the kids stay with?
Well, it was Albany who wanted them all!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Page 38 of 48