Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Oct 2019 at 11:31 AM
Default Very aggressive ADS on Mod The Sims
I recently tried to acces MTS from my phone (iPhone SE) using Safari and I got a very aggressive scam AD. (Tested it with different browsers - same results.)

About the AD:
Whoever makes this made it look like it's form my internet provider. I searched the topic and there are currently fake scam sites using my internet provider's name.
I get it after a few seconds of browsing MTS, I'm unable to leave the side no matter how many times I press the back button. It displays my device's correct IP and tells me my IP was selected to win a free smarphone. It makes me do a 3 (!!) part questionnaire regarding my internet provider (Do I like them / Would I recommend / What do I like about them) and then "checks my answers, my IP and the prizes". Only one smartphone is left for 2,5 minutes, and it need me to fill in my personal data to win it. Obviously I didn't do that, this is as far as I went. It has fake comments under the whole thing (one mentioning the "hard" quiz the poster was nervous about), it's pictures of discuss comments.

Why do I post is here, and not report it to my internet provider?
I will report it to my internet provider, just so they know this is going on. I might not fall for this along with many people, but some will. Hopefully they can get the site taken down.
The reason as to why I post it here... This AD only appears on MTS. I tried browsing other websites and I don't get it on any of them, no matter how long I browse and how many links I click. It only appears on MTS after a few seconds / clicks and it appears every single time I try to use the website. I'm currently writing from my PC using an AD blocker and I don't have the issue. I'll test it out later if I do get the ads without adblocker. Regardless the issue and the ADS seem to be related to accessing MTS. I wanted to report the issue just in case there is something going on with the site and it's ADS.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: I tried to access the website with ad blocker turned off on my PC, and it worked. I didn't get the ADS so far. It seems like it only appears on phone, but still only from using MTS.
Edit2: I don't seem to get the AD on every single page, only on Sims 4 / Downloads as far as I can tell.
Edit3: I checked on a family member's phone (also an iPhone, also using safari), and she also gets the same ADS on Sims 4 / Downloads even though she never opened MTS before or anything related to it (unlike me on my phone). It really seems like there's a very aggressive AD on Sims 4 / Downloads. It also seems like sometimes you have to search for an item or click on an item for the AD to appear.
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 6th Oct 2019 at 6:01 PM
Hi there,

MTS uses a 3rd party ad provider, and so, to enable us to effectively block this we need the following:

- Screenshot of the ad
- The URL where the ad goes to

It's good that you didn't fill in the details - those kind of questionairre ads are the worst! Unfortunately the actual ads that show up are outside of my control, so the only thing I can do is to report it.

Thanks

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#3 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 6:50 PM
Changed thread category to Solved/Answered
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Oct 2019 at 8:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
Hi there,

MTS uses a 3rd party ad provider, and so, to enable us to effectively block this we need the following:

- Screenshot of the ad
- The URL where the ad goes to

It's good that you didn't fill in the details - those kind of questionairre ads are the worst! Unfortunately the actual ads that show up are outside of my control, so the only thing I can do is to report it.

Thanks

Hi!
First of all I'm sorry for the late reply.

I understand. I didn't think for a minute that MTS purposely gives users scam ads. I just thought that it was probably a good idea to report it.

I have both screenshots and the link of the page, however the link is no longer working. After writing the post I reported the page to my internet provider, and it's possible they contacted police. Or someone fell for the scam and they deleted the page...
I can still send you the screenshots (but they're in Hungarian) and the dead link, if it helps.

Thank you for your reply!
I hope you're having a great day
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#5 Old 10th Oct 2019 at 11:21 AM
Hi there

Thanks for the reply! What's more likely is that somebody else on another site reported the link and ad to the ad partners and they already removed it (so basically what we would have done).

Good to hear it's gone now!

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.